ADVERTISEMENT

Bell=Playoffs?

Mar 13, 2008
Louisville, KY
With us picking up Bell; who some believed was the best WR in the country do we know have legitimate college football playoffs hopes? More than just lip service, but having an offense that could contend with the big boys? I think we might. At no point can team double team Moore; with Bell and the other targets roaming the field. I assume 2020 is the year however next years schedule seems much better. Purdue should be favored in all games minus at Wisky and at PSU.

Very ahead of yourself here.

Let’s compete for our division...then we can worry about the conference and then the playoff later
I would agree. It has been a very exciting day for our future with the addition of Bell. I know I am excited to see him play with Moore.

However, we do have big questions on both sides of our lines that we will need to get answered. We are still a very young team, so I think 2020 is where we put it all together. 2019 will definitely be a fun and exciting team though.

Reactions: DAG10
With us picking up Bell; who some believed was the best WR in the country do we know have legitimate college football playoffs hopes? More than just lip service, but having an offense that could contend with the big boys? I think we might. At no point can team double team Moore; with Bell and the other targets roaming the field. I assume 2020 is the year however next years schedule seems much better. Purdue should be favored in all games minus at Wisky and at PSU.
I think we will have the best WR tandem in the Big10 in 2020

Reactions: TheGunner
I'll assume this is a TIC comment since the last time the Boilers played Auburn could have easily beat them by 70. Also, while Bell is a great get Nobody thinks he is the best receiver in the country. Oklahoma ALONE has 3 more highly rated receivers in this class. Watch Mondays game and see where he would rank among Bama's wideout corps. There's a whole different level out there PLAYOFFS???? PLAYOFFS?????

I think if we follow with another great class, then yes. Even if we win the big ten next year, unless we go undefeated it will be looked at as an upset of whatever east team we beat.
I am super pumped about the future of football, but we just got prison raped by an SEC team that has such a micropenis complex about not being able to legitimately compete against Alabama and Georgia that they went for it on 4th down twice in one drive while up 30 in the first half. The lines must improve and we can't hear "he started as a walk on " more than once during a game from the announcers.

I think if we follow with another great class, then yes. Even if we win the big ten next year, unless we go undefeated it will be looked at as an upset of whatever east team we beat.
I am super pumped about the future of football, but we just got prison raped by an SEC team that has such a micropenis complex about not being able to legitimately compete against Alabama and Georgia that they went for it on 4th down twice in one drive while up 30 in the first half. The lines must improve and we can't hear "he started as a walk on " more than once during a game from the announcers.

Auburn went for it on 4th because they knew the mighty boilers couldn’t stop them

We have an early contender for hot take of the year. Doesn't matter how many receivers you have if our line gets dominated like vs Auburn and the defense doesn't step up. We're going to be fun to watch, and hopefully competing for the division.

Temper your expectations. I just visited the Loosier board and now know that Mullen is capable of shutting down our entire receiving Corp and they are going to hit us with an unknown secret offense featuring rehabbing and retreaded players directed by whatever unwanted OC that Fred Glass can get on the cheap.

Reactions: Nukeboiler
I would really pump the breaks on the playoffs. I just want to keep going to bowls and make that an every year thing. As long as we do that we should be a really good Big 10 football program again.

It’s helps that our coach probably isn’t satisfied until we go to or win a big 10 championship

Reactions: Frankie611
I would really pump the breaks on the playoffs. I just want to keep going to bowls and make that an every year thing. As long as we do that we should be a really good Big 10 football program again.

It’s helps that our coach probably isn’t satisfied until we go to or win a big 10 championship

I want to see Purdue actually win 10 games for once!

Hey, BinL... flip 'em off and go on with your optimism! (figuratively speaking, of course!)

It doesn't matter what others think. 2019 is a new season.

Yes, we'll have "holes to fill." So does everyone else.

Yes, maybe our "holes" are bigger than others. Doesn't matter. If you want to be optimistic, don't let others pee in your cornflakes.

Bring on '19!

Temper your expectations. I just visited the Loosier board and now know that Mullen is capable of shutting down our entire receiving Corp and they are going to hit us with an unknown secret offense featuring rehabbing and retreaded players directed by whatever unwanted OC that Fred Glass can get on the cheap.

It was hilarious watching Mullen get completely owned on the West’s 2 touchdowns. You can easily see why with his size he wasn’t heavily recruited.

It was hilarious watching Mullen get completely owned on the West’s 2 touchdowns. You can easily see why with his size he wasn’t heavily recruited.
He was involved in a lot of plays because he was being targeted. That what IU fans don’t understand.

Reactions: Purdue85
I'll assume this is a TIC comment since the last time the Boilers played Auburn could have easily beat them by 70. Also, while Bell is a great get Nobody thinks he is the best receiver in the country. Oklahoma ALONE has 3 more highly rated receivers in this class. Watch Mondays game and see where he would rank among Bama's wideout corps. There's a whole different level out there PLAYOFFS???? PLAYOFFS?????

You are aware he was in the final five for player of the year on offense right? And, that was on a team with at 3,000 yard rusher. Also, Moore wasn’t in the top 100 of his class. Ended up doing something only two other players have ever done being named a consensus all-American as a true freshman.

I feel that next year, it will be hard to find 3 true freshmen with better seasons. It’s possible he doesn’t get the stats to back it up, but he will have the opportunity to do it.

Brohm knows he has to get bigger and faster and this ‘19 class has the potential to be incredible and they will all get early experience. If Brohm lands a very good ‘20 and ‘21 class, there is a chance that this Purdue squad gets to the promiseland. If Moor stays for the ‘21 season, the chances go wayyyy up.

Will they make it? I don’t know. But, I am so hyped about this class that I would say yes just for funsies.

What would it take? Trice to gain some weight and transition to OLB. Grant, Graham, Beverly and Allen are dominant like expected. The DL all develops and over achieve as well as GK being the all-American we expect. Purdue has hit on all of their OL. Plummer becomes Heisman level talent, as well as King. The ‘20 and ‘21 class provide immediate depth and possible fill some vacancies. If those things happen, absolutely Purdue could make a playoff run. A lot of ifs, but nothing outrageous in there. I don’t think at this point anybody could say Purdue has no shot, but this ‘19 class hasn’t played a single game. We may not see most of them really blossom until ‘20 or maybe ‘21.

Reactions: Purdue85
You are aware he was in the final five for player of the year on offense right? And, that was on a team with at 3,000 yard rusher. Also, Moore wasn’t in the top 100 of his class. Ended up doing something only two other players have ever done being named a consensus all-American as a true freshman.

I feel that next year, it will be hard to find 3 true freshmen with better seasons. It’s possible he doesn’t get the stats to back it up, but he will have the opportunity to do it.

Brohm knows he has to get bigger and faster and this ‘19 class has the potential to be incredible and they will all get early experience. If Brohm lands a very good ‘20 and ‘21 class, there is a chance that this Purdue squad gets to the promiseland. If Moor stays for the ‘21 season, the chances go wayyyy up.

Will they make it? I don’t know. But, I am so hyped about this class that I would say yes just for funsies.

What would it take? Trice to gain some weight and transition to OLB. Grant, Graham, Beverly and Allen are dominant like expected. The DL all develops and over achieve as well as GK being the all-American we expect. Purdue has hit on all of their OL. Plummer becomes Heisman level talent, as well as King. The ‘20 and ‘21 class provide immediate depth and possible fill some vacancies. If those things happen, absolutely Purdue could make a playoff run. A lot of ifs, but nothing outrageous in there. I don’t think at this point anybody could say Purdue has no shot, but this ‘19 class hasn’t played a single game. We may not see most of them really blossom until ‘20 or maybe ‘21.

Excellent post, but you missed one very important detail: attrition.

It's what KILLED Tiller's recruiting classes. He would land a class of highly-rated players, and you'd look up 2-3 years later and too many of the key pieces were gone. We can't have that happen.

I'm not talking about players leaving early for the NFL. I'm talking about players washing out.

Yes, there will always be some attrition. It's inevitable. But it has to be minimized.

Excellent post, but you missed one very important detail: attrition.

It's what KILLED Tiller's recruiting classes. He would land a class of highly-rated players, and you'd look up 2-3 years later and too many of the key pieces were gone. We can't have that happen.

I'm not talking about players leaving early for the NFL. I'm talking about players washing out.

Yes, there will always be some attrition. It's inevitable. But it has to be minimized.

Everybody has to stay healthy, eligible, and committed. Those are big facts. I think Brohm got the right guys. He didn’t chase stars, he got guys that fit what he wanted, and almost everyone moved up in the ranks after they committed. I can’t wait to see what they can do, but I am betting on this being the best overall class for Purdue in the modern internet ranking era. There isn’t a single player I think Brohm “settled for”. And I don’t see any that maybe got overhyped. I hope they live up to the hype and I can’t wait for the ride.

This all started with Moore and Karlaftis. If Moore doesn’t sign, Purdue wins maybe 3 games and doesn’t land near the stars on offense. GK was the anchor and lead recruiter for this class. He got everybody to believe Purdue was back. Landing a 5 star that early just sets the tone. Winning the accolades, making the al-American game, and attending all the high level camps was excellent exposure for the program. GK brought Grant, who brought Graham. And GK was one of the heaviest recruiters of Bell, same with Moore. GK attending so many home games and was always recruiting. Besides having the potential to being a first round pick, he was clearly an elite recruiter.

I have always been a believer in that your players and incoming recruits are your best recruiters. I have seen many examples of a team gaining one 5 star recruit and that player basically recruits 5 of his elite friends.

On the flip side I've seen a 3 star player commit a year early and then try to recruit a bunch 4/5 star basketball players and they all claim they like him but sign elsewhere on teams that have other 4/5* players.

Hopefully Brohm can find another 4/5* player who will commit early and attract other elite players. Maybe we could be the fab 11.

Like many people, I think 2020 is the year.

Inevitably, I think the Boilers drop a game they shouldn't next year but I think win 9-10 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT