ADVERTISEMENT

Being a life long Purdue sports fan, I can definitively say that it takes more than it gives.

Being a fan of Purdue sports is not easy.
I’ve always been a Purdue fan l will confess I was a Indiana fan twice Isaiah Thomas and Scott May Drake Morris came from my high school so I’m hooked my bucket list is for them to win a championship game still waiting

Being a fan of Purdue sports is not easy.
It’s not but we’re not changing. I realize many are upset over Catchings, if he decommits so be it, with the transfer portal his spot could be used on a proven older player. It seems to me that he may be a 1 or 2 year player, Purdue isn’t this type of program for better or worse.

Purdue grad and 38-year season-ticket holder for football and men's basketball here. I love the excitement of going to the games and cheering wildly for my team. I've got so many wonderful memories of dramatic wins and heroic individual performances. Purdue athletics has given me far more than it has ever cost.
So So true! Proud to be a Boiler! People today are SOFT Marshmallows ! Never about the community, just about ME ME ME!

Reactions: creichr
I've been a lifelong fan and it became easy for me many years ago when I disconnected any expectations of championships from the enjoyment of following the teams. Once the games are over, on to the next thing.
Agreed, I was upset for a day or so after FDU, deep down I knew this team wasn’t Final 4 material, seeing Florida Atlantic make it though was typical lol

Same re FDU loss. Couldn't get to sleep that night, was better the next day then IU lost Sunday and I was just fine lol.
I was like, you lose to FDU screw it lol. Sort of felt like that after St Peter’s, tough to get angry when a team fails to show up in a tourney game. I’m too old now to take losses with me over a day or two.

Reactions: Hausta01
I remember my father worked construction with Thad Garner when he was home from Michigan. They were both on a job by my house, Thad came over for half a hour putting on a dunk show lol. Noll in those days was loaded as well, that ECW Sectional was brutal.
1971 will always be the mark to reach for in Ec basketball the only year i never thought about losing but would they win by 25 or score 100.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I remember my father worked construction with Thad Garner when he was home from Michigan. They were both on a job by my house, Thad came over for half a hour putting on a dunk show lol. Noll in those days was loaded as well, that ECW Sectional was brutal.
Yeah, my man Thad Garner, Paul Sember, Maletestinic(sp) were a good group of players Bishop Noll had back then in the mid-late 70's.

I remember attending many games there throughout the years. It was a great atmosphere with many memories. Things are no where close to that today. 🙁
As a young kid, while walking up the stairs to get to the balcony seats, I would be in awe looking at the huge bigger than life-size cardboard cutouts of the 1971 and 1960 EC Washington state championship team.

EC Central tried to duplicate the design of the old EC Washington gym. Nowhere near the nostalgia.

Yeah, my man Thad Garner, Paul Sember, Maletestinic(sp) were a good group of players Bishop Noll had back then in the mid-late 70's.
The McKinney brothers, Walt Whitaker, I remember lots of Noll players wearing those old school Marquette type uniforms lol

Reactions: BNIBoiler
1971 will always be the mark to reach for in Ec basketball the only year i never thought about losing but would they win by 25 or score 100.
My dad told me one of there worst games was the State Title game, they only won by 8 in that one.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
How many pro athletes on that team? 4?
As far as ‘71 East Chicago Washington, Pete Trgovich was drafted by the Detroit Pistons. Not sure how long he played, if he played at all. Later coached our beloved E’twaun Moore and Kawann Short in hoops winning a state championship.

Junior Bridgeman had a long NBA career with the Milwaukee Bucks. He now owns over 250 Wendy’s and Chili’s restaurants.

Tim Stoddard had a long MLB with the Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs etc. Went to the World Series with the Red Sox. Became pitching coach for Noethwestern.

As far as ‘71 East Chicago Washington, Pete Trgovich was drafted by the Detroit Pistons. Not sure how long he played, if he played at all. Later coached our beloved E’twaun Moore and Kawann Short in hoops winning a state championship.

Junior Bridgeman had a long NBA career with the Milwaukee Bucks. He now owns over 250 Wendy’s and Chili’s restaurants.

Tim Stoddard had a long MLB with the Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs etc. Went to the World Series with the Red Sox. Became pitching coach for Noethwestern.
And Bridgeman is GRob’s uncle, correct ?

Reactions: Schnelk

Think Stoddard won the state title in BB then national BB with NCS then a World Series with the Baltimore.

Think he won at least one World Series with Baltimore

Think Stoddard won the state title in BB then national BB with NCS then a World Series with the Baltimore.
Yes that is true. Also, Tim Stoddard along with Kenny Lofton, another East Chicago Washington alumni (1985) are the only 2 players to play on the NCAA Final 4 and play in a MLB World Series. From the same high school.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Yes that is true. Also, Tim Stoddard along with Kenny Lofton, another East Chicago Washington alumni (1985) are the only 2 players to play on the NCAA Final 4 and play in a MLB World Series. From the same high school.
Didn't his NCS team win the NC one year while Stoddard was there?Wasn't it against Houston?

Didn't his NCS team win the NC one year while Stoddard was there?Wasn't it against Houston?

'74 - National Semi-Final where North Carolina State ended UCLA's 7-year NCAA Tournament Championship run. Then they defeated Marquette for the title.

David Thompson, Tom Burleson, Monte Towe, Stoddard, and company against Walton, Wilkes, Dave Myers, Marques Johnson, Andre McCarter.....two overtimes.....still one of the best NCAA games I've seen to this day.

Oh, by the way......NC State needed to survive OT and #5 Maryland in the ACC Championship game just to make the NCAA field.

Stoddard was also on the Baltimore Orioles' '83 World Series Champion team.

Yeah that was in 1974 when Tim Stoddard and NC State beat Marquette. Then in 1975, Stoddard’s high school teammate, Pete Trgovich and the UCLA Bruins beat Louisville and Junior Bridgeman. another East Chicago Washington teammate in the semifinals. Then beat Kentucky in the championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT