ADVERTISEMENT

Bat signals everywhere

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
Purdue seems to be making a living in June recruiting. It makes sense with the camps. The staff is so good that they have confidence if they can get the guys here they can close.

I was saying it earlier today, but Eron Hodges is one heck of a closer. This is one of the best coaching staffs in the country. It has taken a ton of work but they have changed the perception of Purdue.

Also wanted to point out, though it was previously mentioned in another thread (just can’t say it enough), Tirek Murphy is a monster on the recruiting trail. He has been reaching out to all of the incoming recruits already and bringing them all on board. It isn’t the normal lip service of hey come be a Boiler, it is as if he already bleeds Gold and Black.

The train needed a little momentum, but once it started rolling people realized there wasn’t a lot of room and jumped.

And yes, the bat signal is currently out and I think we are waiting for two more to announce.

I am guessing one of the ones committed but not announced is Carr and the other is a DB. Could be Stevens, could be Kane, could be Melton, could be Hollis (I thought I read Sullivan was being recruited as DB but couldn’t confirm so I’ll just put him here in this quote, just in case).

It seems the long wait with little apparent action is now starting to pay big dividends. I'm sure the coaching staff had been quite busy, but little to show for us peons until right now. Congratulations to them and keep up the good work. You've made Purdue football enjoyable once again! I can't wait to see how the 2019 class and earlier ones perform on the field in actual games.

Brohm said June would be slow. With our limited number of scholarships, it is moving quickly now. I believe recruits are seeing they need to jump aboard the train quickly (no intentional pun) or a scholarship might not be available.

Bring on the next verbal!

Which recent visitors are left and what are the biggest needs to fill on the roster?

Which recent visitors are left and what are the biggest needs to fill on the roster?
I would say that we need a DT and DE as our biggest needs. It appears that a Georgia Tech DE verbal is going to visit us this weekend.

We will take at least 1 WR, but I would say we will take 2, especially if we get Sullivan or Redding. We are leaving a spot for Carr, like we did for David Bell this year. It seems like we possibly still going after another OL. Do we go after a TE in this class with 2 taken last year?

Reactions: Boilermaker24
I would say that we need a DT and DE as our biggest needs. It appears that a Georgia Tech DE verbal is going to visit us this weekend.

We will take at least 1 WR, but I would say we will take 2, especially if we get Sullivan or Redding. We are leaving a spot for Carr, like we did for David Bell this year. It seems like we possibly still going after another OL. Do we go after a TE in this class with 2 taken last year?
I agree on the need for DT. I would like to get another LB, 2 WR, 2 CB, and 1 more RB/FB as we lose two seniors an lost Anderson at RB. Skip TE this year, we're loaded there.

If it were up to me I would say 2 DT, 1-2 DE, 1-2 OL, 1-2 LB, 1 CB, Carr.

I wouldn’t add a second WR (though it would be difficult to turn down Sullivan or Redding), wouldn’t add another safety, wouldn’t add another RB (though it would be hard to turn down Moore or Hubbard), wouldn’t take a TE. OL and DL are the biggest needs IMO.

Harper (announcing in a week) seems the highest remaining priority on OL as I believe we missed on Mayo and Fryer has seemed unlikely for a while.

Ox and Austin would be an ideal pair on DT.

Mayfield and Hudgins seem to be the highest remaining prospects at DE.

David Jones and Ty Berrong would be the ideal LBs remaining on that list. Also some others still high on that list too, but Berrong (announcing in September) and Jones would be the highest at ILB and OLB.

Melton and Hollis are two really good possibilities at CB and Purdue is in very good shape with both.

There isn’t a lot of space left. I think I listed most of the top remaining targets.

Ox, Harper, Berrong would be the 3 biggest gets of the ones I listed. Not sure the odds on landing those 3 either. I think Harper is the most likely of that trio. Landing 2 of the 3 would be pretty amazing. Landing all 3 would derail the hype train for me as I would have no idea what to do with myself.

I wouldn’t add a second WR (though it would be difficult to turn down Sullivan or Redding), wouldn’t add another safety, wouldn’t add another RB (though it would be hard to turn down Moore or Hubbard), wouldn’t take a TE. OL and DL are the biggest needs IMO.

Harper (announcing in a week) seems the highest remaining priority on OL as I believe we missed on Mayo and Fryer has seemed unlikely for a while.

David Jones and Ty Berrong would be the ideal LBs remaining on that list. Also some others still high on that list too, but Berrong (announcing in September) and Jones would be the highest at ILB and OLB.

Melton and Hollis are two really good possibilities at CB and Purdue is in very good shape with both.

There isn’t a lot of space left. I think I listed most of the top remaining targets.

Ox, Harper, Berrong would be the 3 biggest gets of the ones I listed. Not sure the odds on landing those 3 either. I think Harper is the most likely of that trio. Landing 2 of the 3 would be pretty amazing. Landing all 3 would derail the hype train for me as I would have no idea what to do with myself.
if the 2nd wr is Redding, have to take him, like to see another east coast guy (Coleman) come on board, need to get Austin and Ox.

Reactions: ChuckJr
if the 2nd wr is Redding, have to take him, like to see another east coast guy (Coleman) come on board, need to get Austin and Ox.

I left Coleman off because I listed 2 other LBs, but he certainly would be a good pickup. With the LB success we have had recently, we need to land a top LB prospect and keep that going.

I would definitely take Redding if he wants to come here. Heck I’d take 2 of either Redding, Carr and Sullivan. Maybe even 3 , but I do agree both offense and defensive lines need addressed

Sullivan woot woot

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like someone out of New York. Time to hunt down who it is lol

Nvm thought it was him but he announces June 29th

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckJr

So you’d take at least 7 more? I thought we only had space for about 13 total.

Given only 5 spots left, I would take
DE - 1
DT - 1
DB - 1
LB - 1
OL - 1

I know Carr is a potential commit but I just don’t think we need more than 1 WR after last year’s class

So you’d take at least 7 more? I thought we only had space for about 13 total.

Given only 5 spots left, I would take
DE - 1
DT - 1
DB - 1
LB - 1
OL - 1

I know Carr is a potential commit but I just don’t think we need more than 1 WR after last year’s class

There is absolutely no way you turn Carr, Ox, or Berrong away if they are willing to commit. You move whatever needs moved to get them. If they sign a CB, by your numbers that would give them room for one more. Think that would have to be Harper.

Harper, Jones, Mayfield, Austin, and one of the CBS would be a very good possibility and a nice haul. In that case I am not sure who you would move to free up space for Carr. But safety and ILB is all they have in defense so far. I think OLB and 2 DL are a must to add. Purdue got faster, they need to get bigger on the front 7.

Side note, they just offered a ‘20 TE so that is interesting.

I think we take 2 WRs. Does this mean that first come first serve between Carr or Redding or do we still think Carr is a silent verbal?

There is absolutely no way you turn Carr, Ox, or Berrong away if they are willing to commit. You move whatever needs moved to get them. If they sign a CB, by your numbers that would give them room for one more. Think that would have to be Harper.

Harper, Jones, Mayfield, Austin, and one of the CBS would be a very good possibility and a nice haul. In that case I am not sure who you would move to free up space for Carr. But safety and ILB is all they have in defense so far. I think OLB and 2 DL are a must to add. Purdue got faster, they need to get bigger on the front 7.

Side note, they just offered a ‘20 TE so that is interesting.
They must be be banking on a few position switches based on this.

Not that I am not completely happy with the recruits that we are getting but I would love to see some DT`s committing....Hoping CJB has some existing DT`s that are developing...

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Not that I am not completely happy with the recruits that we are getting but I would love to see some DT`s committing....Hoping CJB has some existing DT`s that are developing...

A lot of bodies were added up front over the previous few classes. They are gaining size and have needed length. Now it’s a matter of them putting it together. Reveire, Marks, Johnson, will be in the rotation this year with Watts and Neal. Stokes, Fauchaux, Sullivan, and Kpaka are gaining size and strength and likely a year or so away.

A lot of bodies were added up front over the previous few classes. They are gaining size and have needed length. Now it’s a matter of them putting it together. Reveire, Marks, Johnson, will be in the rotation this year with Watts and Neal. Stokes, Fauchaux, Sullivan, and Kpaka are gaining size and strength and likely a year or so away.
Line play on both sides of the ball will be critical this year and i think will determine our win and loss numbers.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Looks like Mayo is announcing tomorrow.

Reactions: Boilerinspirit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT