ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Isn't Good For PU This Year

I actually see the B1G being down as something that could possibly help... IMO The players on this team have been through a rough and tumble B1G. They've been through a gauntlet of a preseason schedule. Now lets fine tune and get some of our bench guys going... IMO if one of Heide or Colvin can become a reliable scorer off the bench this team will be very difficult to beat... Allowing these bench guys time to get into their roll could be big. We all know how CMP can get stuck on a rotation of guys and cut other players out from any playing time when the B1G is deep. Losing to NW is still just as big of a concern for me as it was flashbacks of the last two tourney losses but maybe a softer B1G can help us stay fresh and allow bench guys some more PT than they would have normally gotten otherwise.

I actually see the B1G being down as something that could possibly help... IMO The players on this team have been through a rough and tumble B1G. They've been through a gauntlet of a preseason schedule. Now lets fine tune and get some of our bench guys going... IMO if one of Heide or Colvin can become a reliable scorer off the bench this team will be very difficult to beat... Allowing these bench guys time to get into their roll could be big. We all know how CMP can get stuck on a rotation of guys and cut other players out from any playing time when the B1G is deep. Losing to NW is still just as big of a concern for me as it was flashbacks of the last two tourney losses but maybe a softer B1G can help us stay fresh and allow bench guys some more PT than they would have normally gotten otherwise.
I like this viewpoint…I hope you’re right. It’d be great if one of Colvin or Heide can emerge as a decent scorer off the bench for us or even both of them combined…and hopefully Gillis can keep up his production too. Hope we can get a W on Jan 2 to start off the new year!

Reactions: Schnelk
The game is at Maryland, the only blow out Purdue had last year. They lost their mind in that game. Young had 37 career high last game out versus UCLA. Given Purdue’s issues with quick athletic guards I expect a similar result for Young against Purdue. The game will be tough.

Reactions: DrEss
The game is at Maryland, the only blow out Purdue had last year. They lost their mind in that game. Young had 37 career high last game out versus UCLA. Given Purdue’s issues with quick athletic guards I expect a similar result for Young against Purdue. The game will be tough.
I'm more concerned about Julian Reese having a big game. If Zach doesn't require a double and handles Julian very well Purdue should be in good shape...assuming the team plays an average game. Hart is no longer at Maryland and now with Virginia. Is one team really cold and another really hot or do we see a typical game for both teams? If they only have 3 behind the arc that are real threats and I don't know the team, then Trey can be in the lane a bit if Zach helps on drives to keep Julian from cleaning up off the boards. Not sure if they can handle Purdue's size, but again I don't know the team well.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I can agree with the gist of your post. However, "We all know how CMP can get stuck on a rotation of guys and cut other players out from any playing time when the B1G is deep." is coaching. If playing a good team, it is quite common that all the players are not equal in what they can provide and some getting less minutes than when playing bad teams. It isn't a Matt thing, but quite common among coaches to do the same.

I would say the Big East is the strongest conference.

As far as the conference not prepping us, there might be some merit there. But Gonzaga has done well in the ncaat and they have one of the weakest conferences in America.
I thought the Uconn/St Johns game could have had a lot more whistles than they did. Course, I think that is somewhat common with the Big East

I don't believe this is a serious question. The topic was the 2023-24 season. Why are you bringing seasons dating back to 2000 to prove the strength (weakness, in your mind) of the B1G this year? By your standards, counting FFs, do you believe Conference USA, Colonial, Horizon, Missouri Valley, American, Mountain West, and West Coast are all better conferences than the B1G this year?
Not counting FF's. Counting Championships (see the numbers I listed). I bring up since 2000 because the conference hasn't changed since then. Different year, same conference.

Who do you think besides PU, has a legit shot to win it all from the B1G?

I'm not making this stuff up. Hansbrough said that PU's biggest challenge could be the conference they play in. "no Variety"

Last edited:
True. Does the national champ require a conference where all 18 teams are ranked Top 10? ;)
5-6 good teams, home-and-home would be good preparation.

It depends...If by March Purdue is winning their games in 62-60 ugly slugfests, and losing 5-6 games in the conference that way, then yes it's a bad sign there's been some regression.

It's also a great chance to slay some demons and embrace being the hunted, and play with the swagger of being #1. Yes there will be tough games, but if this team plays like they think they are the best, they will be ready for March regardless of how good the B1G is.

I loved Painters pregame speech against Arizona, saying something to the effect of " let's run these guys". If they can have that mentality against arguably the most talented team in the nation, there is no reason why they can't roll into College Park on a cold night in January and thump them by 20. If this team gets there consistently mentally the sky is the limit.
I think you can expect games to get closer due to coaches and players knowing each other

It depends...If by March Purdue is winning their games in 62-60 ugly slugfests, and losing 5-6 games in the conference that way, then yes it's a bad sign there's been some regression.

It's also a great chance to slay some demons and embrace being the hunted, and play with the swagger of being #1. Yes there will be tough games, but if this team plays like they think they are the best, they will be ready for March regardless of how good the B1G is.

I loved Painters pregame speech against Arizona, saying something to the effect of " let's run these guys". If they can have that mentality against arguably the most talented team in the nation, there is no reason why they can't roll into College Park on a cold night in January and thump them by 20. If this team gets there consistently mentally the sky is the limit.
I think you can expect games to get closer due to coaches and players knowing each other

Not counting FF's. Counting Championships (see the numbers I listed). I bring up since 2000 because the conference hasn't changed since then. Different year, same conference.

I'm not making this stuff up. Hansbrough said that PU's biggest challenge could be the conference they play in. "no Variety"
You believe the B1G is dead. You believe the B1G hasn't changed in 25 years. Since, in my mind, those beliefs are so far out in left field, I see no reason to engage on the topic. And frankly, I don't really care who else in the B1G has a shot to win it all.

You believe the B1G is dead. You believe the B1G hasn't changed in 25 years. Since, in my mind, those beliefs are so far out in left field, I see no reason to engage on the topic. And frankly, I don't really care who else in the B1G has a shot to win it all.
Sounds good Andy. I think you are out in left field so we are even. Have a good one.

I can agree with the gist of your post. However, "We all know how CMP can get stuck on a rotation of guys and cut other players out from any playing time when the B1G is deep." is coaching. If playing a good team, it is quite common that all the players are not equal in what they can provide and some getting less minutes than when playing bad teams. It isn't a Matt thing, but quite common among coaches to do the same.
Of course it's common when you have a good team... However, my point remains it could be a blessing in disguise... Give someone like Colven or Heide, who otherwise wouldn't be getting as much playing time in a tougher B1G 10, more minutes and confidence and it could be a major blessing come tourney time... I also believe most here would agree CMP can be stubborn in certain ideologies and that's fine as long as we're winning... So point remains...

Of course it's common when you have a good team... However, my point remains it could be a blessing in disguise... Give someone like Colven or Heide, who otherwise wouldn't be getting as much playing time in a tougher B1G 10, more minutes and confidence and it could be a major blessing come tourney time... I also believe most here would agree CMP can be stubborn in certain ideologies and that's fine as long as we're winning... So point remains...
No, I don't believe for a second that Matt is stubborn. There is no evidence of such. Matt would be stubborn "IF HE AGREED" that he should do something and didn't. Matt doesn't agree with those that continue to believe he is stubborn because he doesn't agree with those that think they know better...and for most of the knowledge that came from those that considered him stubborn that came through an Osmosis experience or a passive learning experience. Why is it hard for people to understand that Matt with his background doesn't share the same understandings as those without his background I'll never know. There are a couple of things I wish Matt did different sometimes, but I don't think he is stubborn and know he has his reasons. Sometimes I prefer a bit of a clear out if a certain player on D is in foul trouble for a perimeter player, but Matt always tries to keep a balanced court...and I get it...I know why you want a balanced court and so I understand the merits of his stance...not that he is stubborn.

A person can believe they are right and Matt is wrong, but to suggest that Matt doesn't do something he know is best just because "he is stubborn" makes no sense at all since Matt puts in many more hours over many more years and actually bears any criticism that falls his way. Just because someone sees something or hear a commentator on TV does NOT make them correct. They could be, but many times they are not. The reality is Matt is not stubborn, but disagrees with the hypotheticals that those that think he is stubborn. The Big has talent and every year is good. Games many times are closer since the coaches and players know each other and they take away many things that the other team does well due to that familiarity and so I expect closer games than some believe. That said, nothing changes for Myles or Cam. People, some no doubt that consider Matt stubborn were worried that Myles and Cam never got minutes in the Arkansas game, but Matt has continued to bring them along as they grow and become more trustworthy with their minutes. This will continue in the Big as well

I think your last sentence is what titanium means by the B1G not helping us. We aren’t going to be prepared like other conferences because the B1G is so bad and so slow, that we will get sucked down to that level of play and not be ready how we should be for the tourney.

How can we schedule non conference games during the middle of the conference season!?!?! Arizona will have bad teams too, maybe they’ll be up to run it back a few times to get ready for March 😂 😂
"the B1G is so bad and so slow,"
KaBAM!!!

Illinois

No, I don't believe for a second that Matt is stubborn. There is no evidence of such. Matt would be stubborn "IF HE AGREED" that he should do something and didn't. Matt doesn't agree with those that continue to believe he is stubborn because he doesn't agree with those that think they know better...and for most of the knowledge that came from those that considered him stubborn that came through an Osmosis experience or a passive learning experience. Why is it hard for people to understand that Matt with his background doesn't share the same understandings as those without his background I'll never know. There are a couple of things I wish Matt did different sometimes, but I don't think he is stubborn and know he has his reasons. Sometimes I prefer a bit of a clear out if a certain player on D is in foul trouble for a perimeter player, but Matt always tries to keep a balanced court...and I get it...I know why you want a balanced court and so I understand the merits of his stance...not that he is stubborn.

A person can believe they are right and Matt is wrong, but to suggest that Matt doesn't do something he know is best just because "he is stubborn" makes no sense at all since Matt puts in many more hours over many more years and actually bears any criticism that falls his way. Just because someone sees something or hear a commentator on TV does NOT make them correct. They could be, but many times they are not. The reality is Matt is not stubborn, but disagrees with the hypotheticals that those that think he is stubborn. The Big has talent and every year is good. Games many times are closer since the coaches and players know each other and they take away many things that the other team does well due to that familiarity and so I expect closer games than some believe. That said, nothing changes for Myles or Cam. People, some no doubt that consider Matt stubborn were worried that Myles and Cam never got minutes in the Arkansas game, but Matt has continued to bring them along as they grow and become more trustworthy with their minutes. This will continue in the Big as well
I don't know why people keep using the word stubborn. He's not stubborn, he just doesn't believe in some things that others do. I would prefer people us the word "wrong" instead of stubborn.

I think the talk of the Big Ten being down this year started early when the conference had many teams stumble out of the gate, but if you look at this season thus far as a whole, the conference has been strong. In fact, since December 10 the Big Ten is 28-5 in non-conference games and is by far the highest rated conference by Torvik.

I would have said hes stubborn if he just brought in another 7 footer that didn’t shoot the 3 in high school and surrounded him with guys that weren’t very athletic. But this next years class, mixed with the guys we have now, will be one of, if not the most, athletic teams he’s ever had. I am completely guessing, but I think they offense is going to look completely different than last year and this and won’t focus on the 5 so much in the years to come. .

He also isn’t starting Morton (although I think he is playing too many mins 😂) and has been playing Heide and Colvin a bit and I’m assuming those mins will ramp up.

Also, so far we are looking better than we have for quite some time against a press and…we even attacked it 😮! Tempo is also much faster than last year… so from seeing all that, I personally can’t say anymore that he’s stubborn…it seems he’s changing things up. Hopefully, the results change in late Feb and on!

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DrEss
I would have said hes stubborn if he just brought in another 7 footer that didn’t shoot the 3 in high school and surrounded him with guys that weren’t very athletic. But this next years class, mixed with the guys we have now, will be one of, if not the most, athletic teams he’s ever had. I am completely guessing, but I think they offense is going to look completely different than last year and this and won’t focus on the 5 so much in the years to come. .

He also isn’t starting Morton (although I think he is playing too many mins 😂) and has been playing Heide and Colvin a bit and I’m assuming those mins will ramp up.

Also, so far we are looking better than we have for quite some time against a press and…we even attacked it 😮! Tempo is also much faster than last year… so from seeing all that, I personally can’t say anymore that he’s stubborn…it seems he’s changing things up. Hopefully, the results change in late Feb and on!

He also put TKR into the starting lineup and look how he performed against the junk defense of Jacksonville. It was basically the same FDU defense of just throw 3 and 4 guys against Edey and make other people beat you.

TKR set that tone right away

He also put TKR into the starting lineup and look how he performed against the junk defense of Jacksonville. It was basically the same FDU defense of just throw 3 and 4 guys against Edey and make other people beat you.

TKR set that tone right away
Yep! Another good example. One could say he is stubborn by having TKR start. However, I don’t mind as he is playing anywhere from 10-15 min a night. The thing that stands out the most is that he has Gillis close the games out. Good experience for TKR either way, but it is evident that CMP likes Gillis the best with Zach (I early on thought TKR should be in at all times with Zach, but will admit I was wrong about that!)

Next to nobody stacks career type games in a row. The guys that have KILLED us this year had had very avg to poor games the next one they played.

Yep! Another good example. One could say he is stubborn by having TKR start. However, I don’t mind as he is playing anywhere from 10-15 min a night. The thing that stands out the most is that he has Gillis close the games out. Good experience for TKR either way, but it is evident that CMP likes Gillis the best with Zach (I early on thought TKR should be in at all times with Zach, but will admit I was wrong about that!)
One reason for this strategy might be the impact on free throws. TKR is very good at drawing fouls early to get Purdue into the bonus, but Gillis is a much better free throw shooter to have in later in the halves.

One reason for this strategy might be the impact on free throws. TKR is very good at drawing fouls early to get Purdue into the bonus, but Gillis is a much better free throw shooter to have in later in the halves.
Absolutely. Until TKR can increase his FT%, it’s hard to play him down the stretch…hopefully he is able to improve that as the season goes on. I have a feeling we are going to have to lean on him at some point for 1 or 2 games this year.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
not really.
How can you ignore TKR and Matt's handling of his pt?
For his first 8-9? games he didn't do a lot.
I was expecting a change honestly, but Matt stuck with him, despite not getting much production from the spot for a time.
And now he seems to be getting better game to game. And is turning into another scoring threat and post presence that makes this team much more dangerous.
The biggest thing that's changed and kept his minutes coming (imo) is his defense isn't hurting us anymore, so we can play him and let him relax and grow into a very important cog that takes this team to another level (eventually).
Myles is other worldly offensively, but keeps getting lost on d on a regular basis. Getting better, but still exposed at times.
Still hurting us at times.
That's painful to a defensive minded coach. And dangerous in close games.
And yet he keeps getting minutes. Because his potential is seen. By all.
Same with Heide.
Oh that stubborn Matt.

I don't know why people keep using the word stubborn. He's not stubborn, he just doesn't believe in some things that others do. I would prefer people us the word "wrong" instead of stubborn.
Yes, the people that think he is stubborn actually think he is wrong and that is an accurate portrayal from their view rather than stubborn. Nothing wrong with anyone saying Matt is wrong to do such and such, and maybe add, and here is why listing the trade offs and such. IMO it is much more meaningful when someone has an opinion and lists what he or she considers is supportive of their opinion. If nothing else, it provides text that says some thought was given to this...just to list the trade-offs.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

So at the end last year MANY were talking about the need for guards. There was one guy in particular that said they needed more out of the 3 and 4 and that the one and two would be fine. The 3 and 4 and particularly the 3 was needed against pressure. Today there are 3 players to deal with pressure. It is all a function of the players you have, as to how you play as much as possible. Matt didn't learn this year how to break a press. There is no magical position that guarantees success in late Feb and on. There is no magical way of playing that does such either. It is all about being effective and efficient. Many times it is like the daughter with the ghost in the room

For a few years many were clamoring for only the 3 ball and layups and yet the inability to score by taking what was given such as short mid range shots put pressure on the PG. Today, Purdue still shoots the 3 ball and still gets to the rim, but the defense just can't defend those two spots ONLY since Purdue scores in the midrange as well. I don't know, but guessing that Purdue is shooting a few less 3 balls than the last couple of years. Tempo is faster overall due to Purdue pushing it on misses. Not a lot of difference on makes by other team...sometimes a bit quicker depending on what kind of press or if they press.

Matt has never been stubborn as though this needs addressed anymore. He obviously just disagreed with whatever you or any others that consider Matt wrong in what was being employed. You can say he is wrong or right on this and that, but stubborn is only a view held by those that think their thoughts are right and Matt won't do what he knows is right...because he is stubborn when in reality he disagrees. he may or may not be right, but he has his reasons and it isn't being stubborn by playing different than those that believe their way was the best.

So at the end last year MANY were talking about the need for guards. There was one guy in particular that said they needed more out of the 3 and 4 and that the one and two would be fine. The 3 and 4 and particularly the 3 was needed against pressure. Today there are 3 players to deal with pressure. It is all a function of the players you have, as to how you play as much as possible. Matt didn't learn this year how to break a press. There is no magical position that guarantees success in late Feb and on. There is no magical way of playing that does such either. It is all about being effective and efficient. Many times it is like the daughter with the ghost in the room

For a few years many were clamoring for only the 3 ball and layups and yet the inability to score by taking what was given such as short mid range shots put pressure on the PG. Today, Purdue still shoots the 3 ball and still gets to the rim, but the defense just can't defend those two spots ONLY since Purdue scores in the midrange as well. I don't know, but guessing that Purdue is shooting a few less 3 balls than the last couple of years. Tempo is faster overall due to Purdue pushing it on misses. Not a lot of difference on makes by other team...sometimes a bit quicker depending on what kind of press or if they press.

Matt has never been stubborn as though this needs addressed anymore. He obviously just disagreed with whatever you or any others that consider Matt wrong in what was being employed. You can say he is wrong or right on this and that, but stubborn is only a view held by those that think their thoughts are right and Matt won't do what he knows is right...because he is stubborn when in reality he disagrees. he may or may not be right, but he has his reasons and it isn't being stubborn by playing different than those that believe their way was the best.
True. This, Purdue’s three point rate (percentage of attempts from 3) is 35.8%. The last time Purdue had 3 point rate that low was 2016 and that was in an average rate back then, while it is low by today’s standards. (The 2019 team had a 3 point rate as high as 45.5%).

The nice thing about this team is that Purdue is shooting a very good percentage with solid three point shooters throughout the rotation. This team can score in a lot of different ways from all positions. The entire starting line-up is scoring over 16 points per 40 minutes played, and Purdue also brings solid scorers of the bench.

True. This, Purdue’s three point rate (percentage of attempts from 3) is 35.8%. The last time Purdue had 3 point rate that low was 2016 and that was in an average rate back then, while it is low by today’s standards. (The 2019 team had a 3 point rate as high as 45.5%).

The nice thing about this team is that Purdue is shooting a very good percentage with solid three point shooters throughout the rotation. This team can score in a lot of different ways from all positions. The entire starting line-up is scoring over 16 points per 40 minutes played, and Purdue also brings solid scorers of the bench.
I'm "guessing" that Purdue's combined 2pt Fg (attempts and makes) and FTs shot is a real separator between teams as are "possibly fouls drawn"? What we don't know, but I suspect, is that the previous sentence is a covariate in that the success there improves the success in 3pt makes

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT