• Chris Holtmann, Ohio State, $3,500,000
  • Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska, $3,250,000
  • Fran McCaffery, Iowa, $3,208,000
  • Mike Woodson, Indiana, $3,075,000
  • Steve Pikiell, Rutgers, $3,000,000
  • Chris Collins, Northwestern, $2,893,064
  • Ben Johnson, Minnesota, $2,009,000
  • Micach Shrewsberry, Penn State, N/A
I bet they all would do the job for 10% of that.

Painter is the second most worthy coach on that list behind Izzo. It’s hard to complain about $3.58 million, but I would like to see Painter get a raise.

Painter is the second most worthy coach on that list behind Izzo. It’s hard to complain about $3.58 million, but I would like to see Painter get a raise.

His salary will increase for next year to $3.67 million, then $3.75 million for '25. Has a $450,000 retention bonus coming in September of next year. Would like to see a bump for at least the next extension.....increase in assistants/recruiting wouldn't be bad either.

He's definitely earned it, IMO.

They also just endowed the Head Coach position at the University. That's HUGE, IMO.

Is that salary all his or does he have to pay for assistants out of those funds?

Had not heard that. What does that mean exactly and what are the +/- of it?
It provides you with a cash base from which to build on. Instead of always having to scramble to come up with big numbers for a new coach, you know you have X amount in the kitty that you can start from. I'm not all that familiar with the financials on endowments, but assuming a 5% return on 10 mil would leave you with $500K right off the bat. As the years go by, that builds, although I suppose you might be taking part of that to up the compensation of the current coach. In the case of Matt, let's say he goes another 10 years: at a 5 percent return, at the end of that 10 years you have 6.2 million to work with. Even if you give half of that to the current coach through that time, you're still in the 3 million dollar range in the kitty when you go coach shopping. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm not getting this right (and I'm sure someone will :) )

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It provides you with a cash base from which to build on. Instead of always having to scramble to come up with big numbers for a new coach, you know you have X amount in the kitty that you can start from. I'm not all that familiar with the financials on endowments, but assuming a 5% return on 10 mil would leave you with $500K right off the bat. As the years go by, that builds, although I suppose you might be taking part of that to up the compensation of the current coach. In the case of Matt, let's say he goes another 10 years: at a 5 percent return, at the end of that 10 years you have 6.2 million to work with. Even if you give half of that to the current coach through that time, you're still in the 3 million dollar range in the kitty when you go coach shopping. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm not getting this right (and I'm sure someone will :) )

I agree underpaid for results. I'm old school, Big Ten title and tournament wins worth it for me. NCAA success just gravy. I know I am in the minority. Get chills every time Keady says "home of 24 BIG championships", now 25. I'm sure a bump for every NCAA win as well.

I wonder how you or other people feel about this now?

I wonder how you or other people feel about this now?
I still feel the same. Last night sucked, but I look at Painter’s body of work and still strongly support him. He does need to pull in a few more high level athletes and I think he knows that, but I also think that’s where Colvin and Catchings come in as Ivey developed into a lottery pick too soon. Perimeter play was always a concern with this team and shooting confidence was a thorn in their side all year, but the wide open shots were there all night. The scheme, at least on offense, worked in that it produced open shots, but the pressure seemed to get in the heads of the shooters.

Can Painter do better? Absolutely! Should he get some criticism for the loss? That’s certainly fair. Should he try to pull a dynamic guard from the portal? Definitely! Would I trade him for any other coach in the B1G? I am a fan of Shrews, but no I wouldn’t. Izzo is great, but retirement can’t be that far away.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT