ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Basketball Thread

Lol we have 5 top 50 wins compared to your 1 (Maryland lost at home to a crappy Seton Hall team today). Btw, I did say IU would be a better 3pt shooting team than Purdue, and i stand by that. Currently IU is at 37% from 3 while Purdue is at 37.5%. The difference is that Purdue only has 2 good shooters while IU has a team full of them. IU's percentage is brought down by 1 player who has attempted the most 3s on the team. IU is going to wipe the floor with Purdue two times this year (3 times if you get the misfortune of playing us in the BTT).

Another great hot take.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
This take hasn't aged well. Discussion was whether IU would make the tournament and IU should have hired Holtmann.
I'd still rather have Archie than Holtmann. It's not like Holtmann is setting the world on fire at 6-6. Ohio State hasnt had near the injuries we've had this year.

Nope, clappy put us in a bad place with the roster he left. We are certainly on the right track now. Will be competing for a Big 10 championship in year 2 and will have one of the top 2 conference recruiting classes coming in.
Bingo...Mr Basketball!

Thanks for clarifying our unfortunate tournament issues. Injuries happen and your fan base only considers it when it benefits their or your agenda.
Same as yours. There is a difference between saying we would have more wins than we do now if fully healthy and saying we would definitely have gotten passed the sweet 16 if fully healthy. I've never claimed the latter.

You have forgotten the posts about how RL's 3 pt percentage was going to be in the mid to upper 30s, currently 26.7%.

Same as yours. There is a difference between saying we would have more wins than we do now if fully healthy and saying we would definitely have gotten passed the sweet 16 if fully healthy. I've never claimed the latter.
No, they are both if's or just flat out speculation.

Soooooo....worse than 6th? Or do you not understand how math works? He doesn't struggle shooting...he struggles from three. WHich I am shocked by. He shot 37-38% in HS...We are 15 games in. So maybe it is what it is. I dunno. You would think eventually water would find its level. Time will tell. Still....He's averaging 20ppg in conference. I'll take that, and don't care how he does it.
The misplaced hype with Romeo is that he was playing against HS kids...even in his daddie's $100K team. Today, he's playing against taller and quicker guys who can elevate as high or higher when defending those three's. I thought all along the kid from Indy should have won Mr. BB.

TD2, when I pointed out the same things as you posted I was told that it was nonsense. The same thing will happen in the pros which is why if he is taken high the GM is foolish.

TD2, when I pointed out the same things as you posted I was told that it was nonsense. The same thing will happen in the pros which is why if he is taken high the GM is foolish.
As they say arc, great minds do think alike. I watched him play three games his senor year, and though he's good he had a very good cast around him at New Albany. And, while I think he'll make money in the NBA some day, I don't think he's any longer a lottery pick. As I said in another post, Lil' Archie's coaching has cost both Morgan and Langford a ton of money.

As they say arc, great minds do think alike. I watched him play three games his senor year, and though he's good he had a very good cast around him at New Albany. And, while I think he'll make money in the NBA some day, I don't think he's any longer a lottery pick. As I said in another post, Lil' Archie's coaching has cost both Morgan and Langford a ton of money.
According to an NBA scout referenced in Doyle's article on Sunday he's a guaranteed top 10 pick.

I spoke at length with an NBA scout Sunday who told me Romeo remains a no-brainer top-10 pick in the 2019 NBA draft and could approach the top five (assuming he enters the draft)

They show Langford at 13 going to the Lakers
I'm sure you know this already, but mock draft sites are not NBA scouts. Most of the time they have no access to NBA scouts (except for Draft Express which is now ESPN). They are random internet people like you and I that are providing their best guess on who a team might take.

I'm going to trust the actual NBA scout that Doyle talked to over a random internet mock draft guy.

I'm sure you know this already, but mock draft sites are not NBA scouts. Most of the time they have no access to NBA scouts (except for Draft Express which is now ESPN). They are random internet people like you and I that are providing their best guess on who a team might take.

I'm going to trust the actual NBA scout that Doyle talked to over a random internet mock draft guy.
I agree with you on this. So, what's your opinion, if Romeo goes to the draft this year, or stays at IU, for one more year?

I agree with you on this. So, what's your opinion, if Romeo goes to the draft this year, or stays at IU, for one more year?
I think there is less than 1% chance he returns next year. The only way he might consider it is if he views next year's draft class as weaker on the wing.

It's all about the $$$. He gone.

There is no advantage to him risking injury, etc. His weaknesses are more likely to be exposed.

Purdue can’t sleep on this Illinois team in Mackey. They are starting to play well down the stretch.

Illinois is going to be VERY good in the next year or two, especially if they keep Ayo. Will give Mgk some credit for being this high on them although he’s about a year premature. But a scrappy team like Illinois playing with nothing to lose is going to be a headache opponent from here on out.

Reactions: chitownUofI05
Illinois is playing as hot as anyone right now. At least we have them at home but so did OSU..
Yeah, Illinois has got some guys that can play. For as bad as they were last year, it took Carsen going off for 40 for Purdue to win that and we was 15-3 in B1G last year

MGK was rightabout ILL. I doubted him but you have to give him his props. Hetook a lot of grief here but he is looking pretty good in getting in on a team on a sharp rise.

MGK was rightabout ILL. I doubted him but you have to give him his props. Hetook a lot of grief here but he is looking pretty good in getting in on a team on a sharp rise.

To be fair he said they would not only be better than MSU, but MSU at best would finish in 7th place in the B10. That’s why he took a lot of grief. They’re hot right now but they’re still 5 games under .500. No doubt Illinois is on the rise and I think most people at the beginning of the year believed Underwood would be the guy to the program back on track. Think they can definitely contend for a tourney bid next year.

You are absolutely correct on this comment. I went even further I googled 2019 NBA mock draft and it’s over 10/15 of those kinda sites on the internet and each site is vastly different than the other in terms of who they think gets drafted in what order to what team. These are ppl opinions only none of these guys are in those rooms at nba workouts they going off of what they read or hear and guess who going were. I’ve watched the draft the last 3 years and each year outside maybe the 1st 5 picks some get it right outside of that it’s a crap shot who goes in the lottery and beyond. None of those ppl who have those sites no anything going they just guessing. More behind the scenes than most of them know and why 85% of these mock drafts are totally wrong predicting who goes we’re besides those players agents. The only one has some credibility is nba.net not completely accurate but more credible than most of the other ones.

I'd still rather have Archie than Holtmann. It's not like Holtmann is setting the world on fire at 6-6. Ohio State hasnt had near the injuries we've had this year.
Guess you haven't seen the recruits signed for the Bucknuts yet. And in their 1st year who did the best? As for Arch vs. H....you're stuck with Lil' Arch and all you can do is hope they trace him to his brother's wrong-doing's

Yep, I understand that. But I also understand that Romeo has not performed as a lottery pick should. That said, I think he moves from the lottery but stays in the 1st round and he's gone.

He said they would finish ahead of MSU. How was he right about them? They are 10-15.

You are absolutely correct on this comment. I went even further I googled 2019 NBA mock draft and it’s over 10/15 of those kinda sites on the internet and each site is vastly different than the other in terms of who they think gets drafted in what order to what team. These are ppl opinions only none of these guys are in those rooms at nba workouts they going off of what they read or hear and guess who going were. I’ve watched the draft the last 3 years and each year outside maybe the 1st 5 picks some get it right outside of that it’s a crap shot who goes in the lottery and beyond. None of those ppl who have those sites no anything going they just guessing. More behind the scenes than most of them know and why 85% of these mock drafts are totally wrong predicting who goes we’re besides those players agents. The only one has some credibility is nba.net not completely accurate but more credible than most of the other ones.
It also depends on Euro players, which can move someone like Romeo down if they declare.

Guess you haven't seen the recruits signed for the Bucknuts yet. And in their 1st year who did the best? As for Arch vs. H....you're stuck with Lil' Arch and all you can do is hope they trace him to his brother's wrong-doing's
You do realize with a Brooks commitment the IU class is better than the OSU class, right?

Yep, I understand that. But I also understand that Romeo has not performed as a lottery pick should. That said, I think he moves from the lottery but stays in the 1st round and he's gone.
It's just simply not going to be the case. Out of freshmen in the P5, he is the 3rd leading scorer only behind Zion and Barrett.

He said they would finish ahead of MSU. How was he right about them? They are 10-15.

True, but they beat MSU and are probably playing at a higher level than MSU right now. Illinois is very young and took a while to come together. It appears that they have and are likely a force to be reckoned with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT