ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Basketball Thread

There are now posts on the other site made by IU fans telling Brooks to go to Purdue because Painter develops players and Miller doesn't. So much for the recruitment being a lock.

There are now posts on the other site made by IU fans telling Brooks to go to Purdue because Painter develops players and Miller doesn't. So much for the recruitment being a lock.
To be fair - that is a Purdue fan trolling.

Excuse me, but I do not believe that is the case. I have seen multiple comments in that regard not made by just one person.

So just because CMP called him a 2 and done instead of a 1 and done, we lose out on this guy, huh?

So just because CMP called him a 2 and done instead of a 1 and done, we lose out on this guy, huh?
Sort of? Honestly Purdue loses out on kids like him because we aren’t flashy or sexy.

Are we a better team when you look at numbers than OAD factories - certainly. Problem, IMO, is Painter is old school that you have to earn your keep. He won’t make promises and he wants you to buy into his system.

Again, just my opinion.

Sort of? Honestly Purdue loses out on kids like him because we aren’t flashy or sexy.

Are we a better team when you look at numbers than OAD factories - certainly. Problem, IMO, is Painter is old school that you have to earn your keep. He won’t make promises and he wants you to buy into his system.

Again, just my opinion.

It's a challenging combination.

First, I think it's very clear if you're very talented, you'll be playing - Swanigan was sloppy as a freshman and never lost PT. Carsen's had a pretty long leash as well from the start.

Secondly, when you start making promises, don't make people buy into a system, etc. - that's where you can lose your culture. At a school like Purdue, that will never have several five star players unlike a Kentucky, that doesn't often work. Purdue's finished ahead of several teams with more "raw talent" than us for years - hell, just look at IU over the past 10 years. They currently have the most NBA players out of all Big Ten teams - wouldn't guess it by the results on the court though.

Third, I don't think we do ourselves any favors calling ourselves not flashy or sexy. We've had one of the best offenses, if not the best, over the past several years - we aren't this defensive/no offense program that some portray. There's plenty of "flash" on our current team - I don't see how it's any less flashy? We score plenty in transition, we shoot a lot of 3s, etc.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
And I think the players come out of the process as better players. He’s got to be able to see this. Somebody should tell him KY has 5*s coming off the bench too.

Reactions: mathboy
Third, I don't think we do ourselves any favors calling ourselves not flashy or sexy. We've had one of the best offenses, if not the best, over the past several years - we aren't this defensive/no offense program that some portray. There's plenty of "flash" on our current team - I don't see how it's any less flashy? We score plenty in transition, we shoot a lot of 3s, etc.
I agree with most of your posting but wanted to address #3.

I feel like Chris Forman and his team have done a decent job of highlighting some of these numbers. I feel the challenge is how do you relay that to kids who are impressionable?

One way is allowing the players to use social media throughout the season. Building their personal brand helps. This doesn’t have to deter from the team and culture. It does allow them to showcase their individual talents and personalities.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with most of your posting but wanted to address #3.

I feel like Chris Forman and his team have done a decent job of highlighting some of these numbers. I feel the challenge is how do you relay that to kids who are impressionable?

One way is allowing the players to use social media throughout the season. Building their personal brand helps. This doesn’t have to deter from the team and culture. It does allow them to showcase their individual talents and personalities.

Just my 2 cents.

Our players have been using social media this season.

I think one thing Purdue needs to do better - and it's harder than it sounds - is steering the conversation nationally.

I'm sure Purdue does a lot - and the stuff they put together for the website, social, etc. is much better than what it has been.

But how do you get people outside of Purdue talking about how potent Purdue's offense has been, the most Big Ten championships of any program, the best atmosphere in the Big Ten, etc.

Purdue people don't even talk like this. And it's not a matter of being cocky - but your own post you made referred to Purdue as "not sexy". If our own fans are saying that, how is that helping Purdue externally? And yes, you said it on a message board which recruits are probably not paying attention to - but then 100 Purdue fans read it, then they start using the same phrase, etc.

Purdue needs to have a more proud culture. From the fans to the program to the ticket office to the PR/communications. I've said it before - it's gotten better. I had never seen Purdue outwardly project that we have the most Big Ten championships until the past couple years when it went up outside of Mackey. Purdue has the Wooden pyramid outside of Mackey now (other than a jersey hanging in the rafters, you never really heard/saw Purdue talk about Wooden being a Purdue grad), etc.

You should be proud of your history and program's accomplishments. You don't have to beat it like a dead horse, but these things shouldn't be trivia questions (because nobody knows the answer), they should be things that people know.

So when people ask - where do you want to go see a basketball game? They say Purdue. Who's had one of the best offenses in the Big Ten in the last several years? Purdue. Who's one of the best programs at developing players? Purdue.

I think one thing Purdue needs to do better - and it's harder than it sounds - is steering the conversation nationally.

I'm sure Purdue does a lot - and the stuff they put together for the website, social, etc. is much better than what it has been.

But how do you get people outside of Purdue talking about how potent Purdue's offense has been, the most Big Ten championships of any program, the best atmosphere in the Big Ten, etc.

Purdue people don't even talk like this. And it's not a matter of being cocky - but your own post you made referred to Purdue as "not sexy". If our own fans are saying that, how is that helping Purdue externally? And yes, you said it on a message board which recruits are probably not paying attention to - but then 100 Purdue fans read it, then they start using the same phrase, etc.

Purdue needs to have a more proud culture. From the fans to the program to the ticket office to the PR/communications. I've said it before - it's gotten better. I had never seen Purdue outwardly project that we have the most Big Ten championships until the past couple years when it went up outside of Mackey. Purdue has the Wooden pyramid outside of Mackey now (other than a jersey hanging in the rafters, you never really heard/saw Purdue talk about Wooden being a Purdue grad), etc.

You should be proud of your history and program's accomplishments. You don't have to beat it like a dead horse, but these things shouldn't be trivia questions (because nobody knows the answer), they should be things that people know.

So when people ask - where do you want to go see a basketball game? They say Purdue. Who's had one of the best offenses in the Big Ten in the last several years? Purdue. Who's one of the best programs at developing players? Purdue.

Results drive/push narratives, especially for 17-18 year old recruits. (in the mind of a prospective recruit) Purdue has the best offense in the B10 the last few years? Well how far has that gotten them in the tournament? Purdue is the best at developing talent? How many players are making a big impact in the NBA? That's how a high school kid looks at it. You can show a kid stats until he's blue in the face to prove a point (KenPom) but it isn't going to resonate until it actually translates to something tangible. Recruits know the programs that advance in March and they know who the best players are in the NBA and where they went to school.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Results drive/push narratives, especially for 17-18 year old recruits. (in the mind of a prospective recruit) Purdue has the best offense in the B10 the last few years? Well how far has that gotten them in the tournament? Purdue is the best at developing talent? How many players are making a big impact in the NBA? That's how a high school kid looks at it. You can show a kid stats until he's blue in the face to prove a point (KenPom) but it isn't going to resonate until it actually translates to something tangible. Recruits know the programs that advance in March and they know who the best players are in the NBA and where they went to school.

giphy.gif

Seriously. I can barely recall more than 5 tournament games specifically last year. I would have to sit and think to name the 4 Final Four teams last year and couldn't tell you the year before, etc.

The regular season goes from November - March. This idea that recruits don't pay attention to those 5 months of games plastered of national television, but only care about the 10 days of basketball during the tournament is pretty absurd.

Look at IU - they haven't done one thing better than us since current recruits were toddlers. But they're "out recruiting" us.

Reactions: Purdue85
Seriously. I can barely recall more than 5 tournament games specifically last year. I would have to sit and think to name the 4 Final Four teams last year and couldn't tell you the year before, etc.

The regular season goes from November - March. This idea that recruits don't pay attention to those 5 months of games plastered of national television, but only care about the 10 days of basketball during the tournament is pretty absurd.

Look at IU - they haven't done one thing better than us since current recruits were toddlers. But they're "out recruiting" us.

You miss the part about putting guys in the NBA? How many players that went to IU start in the NBA? How many for Purdue? Recruits know who has the history and where NBA players went to school.

Caught it while rewatching the last few minutes of the game last night - Dakich talking how Purdue has the most Big Ten titles and crazy eyes saying how people assume it is Indiana.

Northwestern and OSU were inspired by Purdue vs Indiana. It’s 14-14 with 5:00 to play in the 1st.

Jon Rothsteins preseason B1G predictions revisited:

Really not altogether too poor. Whiffed on Purdue but so did most. Was way too high on IU and Nebraska, but again, so did most.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT