ADVERTISEMENT

Australia deal?

Bethboilerfan

Senior
Sep 14, 2012
I have read and understand the deal with Australia but there are a couple of things I simply don't get. Why would we make a deal to take people that Australia refuses to take? Aren't these people trying to enter Australia illegally? If they are trying to enter illegally why is the media insisting that they are refugees and chastising anyone who calls them illegal immigrants? And what will happen to any who do not meet our vetting? Please don't start a discussion of should we or shouldn't we!!! Thanks

I have read and understand the deal with Australia but there are a couple of things I simply don't get. Why would we make a deal to take people that Australia refuses to take? Aren't these people trying to enter Australia illegally? If they are trying to enter illegally why is the media insisting that they are refugees and chastising anyone who calls them illegal immigrants? And what will happen to any who do not meet our vetting? Please don't start a discussion of should we or shouldn't we!!! Thanks
These are good questions, and I have not looked at "the deal" but the US has an a reach, resources and ability others do not to allow refugees some protection without allowing every one of them to instantly be walking down Main Street shopping at Thom McCann, a place where more vetting can take place while at the same time allowing them to get of harms way.

That's the troubling part of all of this, there has to be a place, we are America, we solve problems, where we don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water. Life is not that black and white.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Australia refuses ALL refugees who arrive by boat, regardless of origin. If they didn't, they'd become a dumping ground for all of south Asia. They accept zero refugees from Indonesia, New Guinea, Cambodia, India, Philippines, etc.

Australia duped buffoon Obama into taking in 1300 Muslim losers that made it to Australia. Australia relocated them to an out-of-country camp that Australia funded. Now that Trump has vetoed this stupid deal, Australia should ship them to Canada. That Trudeau fool has already said that Canada would take any refugees that the US doesn't want.

Why would we make a deal to take people that Australia refuses to take?

This is really the million dollar question. USA has issues with illegals from Mexico and all over world, people over staying visas, and people wanting to come in from ME. Really no reason US has to get involved with immigration issues of other countries.

Aren't these people trying to enter Australia illegally?

Yes, Australia does not accept people by boat. Largely so it does not become a depot for illegals in that part of world.

If they are trying to enter illegally why is the media insisting that they are refugees and chastising anyone who calls them illegal immigrants?

It is thought that roughly 80% of them are certified refugees. In other words have been in refugee camps and have been vetted or were in process of being vetted. Some have paper work and were waiting for transportation or final orders.

Really if one takes a minute to think about it one should ask if they are vetted, had paper work, why did they try to smuggle in somewhere illegally? I think the vetting process likely needs to be done again for a lot of them.

As for the media that is what they do. They call people anti-immigration that typically just want the immigration system fixed. They fail to realize or just ignore the difference between immigration and illegal immigration. In this case, they assert that these people are refugees, which in many cases seems to be correct, but ignore they showed up illegally. Regardless if they are refugees or not, show up illegally, one is an illegal immigrant.

And what will happen to any who do not meet our vetting?

They likely stay in detention centers or get moved to another refugee camp. I think Trump has backed off and said the deal would be honored, but only after another vetting process.

Really, the issue with illegal immigration and refugees, the answer needs to be multi faceted. Is relocating and helping them to integrate in a new area part of the answer? Of course. However, so is investment and stabilization of the areas that the people are fleeing. Ignoring the issues there will just lead to more people migrating from area. Not saying the USA needs to do it all, however it will naturally be a leader in this area. Really, the UN largely needs to make itself relevant in this area.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Why would we make a deal to take people that Australia refuses to take?

This is really the million dollar question. USA has issues with illegals from Mexico and all over world, people over staying visas, and people wanting to come in from ME. Really no reason US has to get involved with immigration issues of other countries.

Aren't these people trying to enter Australia illegally?

Yes, Australia does not accept people by boat. Largely so it does not become a depot for illegals in that part of world.

If they are trying to enter illegally why is the media insisting that they are refugees and chastising anyone who calls them illegal immigrants?

It is thought that roughly 80% of them are certified refugees. In other words have been in refugee camps and have been vetted or were in process of being vetted. Some have paper work and were waiting for transportation or final orders.

Really if one takes a minute to think about it one should ask if they are vetted, had paper work, why did they try to smuggle in somewhere illegally? I think the vetting process likely needs to be done again for a lot of them.

As for the media that is what they do. They call people anti-immigration that typically just want the immigration system fixed. They fail to realize or just ignore the difference between immigration and illegal immigration. In this case, they assert that these people are refugees, which in many cases seems to be correct, but ignore they showed up illegally. Regardless if they are refugees or not, show up illegally, one is an illegal immigrant.

And what will happen to any who do not meet our vetting?

They likely stay in detention centers or get moved to another refugee camp. I think Trump has backed off and said the deal would be honored, but only after another vetting process.

Really, the issue with illegal immigration and refugees, the answer needs to be multi faceted. Is relocating and helping them to integrate in a new area part of the answer? Of course. However, so is investment and stabilization of the areas that the people are fleeing. Ignoring the issues there will just lead to more people migrating from area. Not saying the USA needs to do it all, however it will naturally be a leader in this area. Really, the UN largely needs to make itself relevant in this area.
Good explanation although it still leaves me in the dark about why the US is doing this. Are they getting something from Australia? If so, what? Trump refers to it as a deal which suggests that both parties are getting something. Media reported that these people have experienced a great deal of trauma (assaults, rapes, etc) so they will have problems. Media, as far as I can tell, has not even tried to answer this question. Maybe we have bases or something on land that belongs to Australia?

Good explanation although it still leaves me in the dark about why the US is doing this.
Trump already answered that. Obama made a dumb deal. There is no reason for us to take refugees that Australia has rejected.

Issue #2: It is not possible to "vet" these people. Period. Refugees are by definition coming from some hellhole, usually an Islamic hellhole, and there is no means by which to obtain background checks on them. That data does not exist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT