ADVERTISEMENT

As we prepare for camp...

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
let’s have a little fun. Pick two folks you think will be camp standouts from the offense and two from the defense. For funsies also pick surprise standout from either side of the ball. Keep in mind there will be a bunch of new comers.

On offense I will take Bell and Doerue. I was torn between Bell and Wright to be honest, but one of them should shine. I think a running back will shine as well, so I went with King. I am not listing the super stars from last year because they would have to do a heck of a lot to stand out with their expectations.

On defense I will take two young guys. I’ll take GK and Graham again. Again, I am not taking last year’s stars because they have to do even more to stand out over their expectations.

Surprise pick I am going with Hunter. GK got a lot of the attention at DE because he was dominant in all of his camps and because he enrolled early. But Hunter looks ready to go and pass rush is a huge need. It wouldn’t surprise me if he earns his way to first team reps.

Other considerations are the two new TEs on offense, Plummer (expectations are pretty high on this young man and I would love to see him rise up to them), and Grant (Graham was dominant because of his physical tools and Grant is just as much of an athletic freak that he could step right in and make some huge plays).

I also think somebody on the OL will standout. One of the true freshmen should fight for first team reps and it will be interesting to see which redshirt freshmen/sophomores show up and show out. If I had to pick who will look better, I am going with the DL, but the OL will have some folks bringing a lot of starts back with them, so we shall see.

let’s have a little fun. Pick two folks you think will be camp standouts from the offense and two from the defense. For funsies also pick surprise standout from either side of the ball. Keep in mind there will be a bunch of new comers.

On offense I will take Bell and Doerue. I was torn between Bell and Wright to be honest, but one of them should shine. I think a running back will shine as well, so I went with King. I am not listing the super stars from last year because they would have to do a heck of a lot to stand out with their expectations.

On defense I will take two young guys. I’ll take GK and Graham again. Again, I am not taking last year’s stars because they have to do even more to stand out over their expectations.

Surprise pick I am going with Hunter. GK got a lot of the attention at DE because he was dominant in all of his camps and because he enrolled early. But Hunter looks ready to go and pass rush is a huge need. It wouldn’t surprise me if he earns his way to first team reps.

Other considerations are the two new TEs on offense, Plummer (expectations are pretty high on this young man and I would love to see him rise up to them), and Grant (Graham was dominant because of his physical tools and Grant is just as much of an athletic freak that he could step right in and make some huge plays).

I also think somebody on the OL will standout. One of the true freshmen should fight for first team reps and it will be interesting to see which redshirt freshmen/sophomores show up and show out. If I had to pick who will look better, I am going with the DL, but the OL will have some folks bringing a lot of starts back with them, so we shall see.
With the exception on Plummer, it’s all our new toys you list. Going back to this time last year, similar posts and it was all our new toys. And all but 3 redshirted. I think the leap to college football, Power 5, Big 10... is a huge adjustment. I look more for the stars and surprises to come from our 2nd and 3rd year guys. ( Ahmad Anderson, Jaylen alexander, Cory Trice, Elijah Ball, Nick Holt (new), Payne Durham, Will Bramel, Eric Miller, Jeff Marks...Just my opinion. I hope everybody has a superstar camp.

With the exception on Plummer, it’s all our new toys you list. Going back to this time last year, similar posts and it was all our new toys. And all but 3 redshirted. I think the leap to college football, Power 5, Big 10... is a huge adjustment. I look more for the stars and surprises to come from our 2nd and 3rd year guys. ( Ahmad Anderson, Jaylen alexander, Cory Trice, Elijah Ball, Nick Holt (new), Payne Durham, Will Bramel, Eric Miller, Jeff Marks...Just my opinion. I hope everybody has a superstar camp.
On offense, I think Sindelar is going to show he is healthy and ready to lead this team. I think Bell is going to show why we all wanted him to commit to us so bad.
On defense, Karlaftis is going to dominate as a freshman. Hard to pick between Graham and Grant at Safety, because both give us the safety size and athleticism we have been missing lately. Will go with Graham, since he went through Spring practice.
Surprise pick will be A. Anderson. He looked during the Spring that he was ready to contribute significantly to our offense this year.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops

The talent gap between the ‘18 and ‘19 class is pretty big as far as rankings. It went up about 2 points WR was really the only position people were really stoked about (and Moore showed why that was legit.

Being a standout in camp doesn’t mean they will see major minutes. My prime example was Alexander last year. He was a camp standout and hardly played at all last year. Because of injuries the known commodities will rest if needed. Also, the new guys will get reps against second and third teams giving them a chance to shine.

Look, Colts camp also has a standout that doesn’t even make the team. This isn’t about who will have the best year. I want to see who shines at camp.

Besides this post is for funsies, don’t take it too seriously or literally.

As for you list, Holt was dealing with an injury, not sure how much he will camp. Alexander I like. He had a great camp last year. Trice is a stud and showed out last camp too. He is even stronger and more experience that I can’t argue that either. Durham, Bramel, Miller, and Marks are all good choices too.

My opinion is that a lot of spots are up for grabs on the two deep. I expect some freshmen to come in and show out right away. There are a lot of new comers that are significantly more ready to play right away than what Purdue has seen in a very long time. So... I would like to see it.

Last edited:

Offense:
1. Victor Beach (Wishful thinking partly out of need on OL, but he's finally healthy and could make some noise).
2. Bell

Defense:
1. Karlaftis
2. Faucheux (Immediate PT available in DT rotation + look at his offer list = he'll beat out most of the competition)

Surprise:
Going on a limb and saying Cameron Allen. Brohm mentioned him at B1G media days as one of the impressive freshman so far, and I love his length at corner. I know nothing about evaluating DBs, but he showed great instincts on the defensive highlights I saw, things you can't really teach. I think not playing QB and focusing on defense will make him a major dark horse in this class. The fact he also lead his HS team to a State Championship as a 2-way star says something IMO.

Offense:
1. Victor Beach (Wishful thinking partly out of need on OL, but he's finally healthy and could make some noise).
2. Bell

Defense:
1. Karlaftis
2. Faucheux (Immediate PT available in DT rotation + look at his offer list = he'll beat out most of the competition)

Surprise:
Going on a limb and saying Cameron Allen. Brohm mentioned him at B1G media days as one of the impressive freshman so far, and I love his length at corner. I know nothing about evaluating DBs, but he showed great instincts on the defensive highlights I saw, things you can't really teach. I think not playing QB and focusing on defense will make him a major dark horse in this class. The fact he also lead his HS team to a State Championship as a 2-way star says something IMO.

In regards to Faucheux's offer list. Yeah, id say that it was pretty solid. (Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Norte Dame, PSU)

Reactions: Roeder
Offense:
2. Bell

Defense:
1. Karlaftis

Surprise:

I love the Allen pick. Dude is an absolute athlete. Looking at how Major did because of his athleticism, I could see Allen really standing out. DB has a ton of question marks, and I truly hope that Allen comes and answers them all.

As for Faucheux, I think he will do well, but I am hoping some of the year 2 and 3 guys step up and one of them can stand out. Would love to see Marks of Johnson step up and show out. Going to need them both to have strong camps and then strong years.

Reactions: Roeder
In regards to Faucheux's offer list. Yeah, id say that it was pretty solid. (Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Norte Dame, PSU)
Most of those offers were as an OL. Hope he stays healthy because he has potential to replace/supplement Neal.

Most of those offers were as an OL. Hope he stays healthy because he has potential to replace/supplement Neal.
That's a misconception. (I know his former HS Coach). Most were actually DLine. Clemson, Stanford, Oregon and Michigan recruited him for OLine. The rest (Bama, PSU, Florida, WVU, Tenn, Nebraska, Pitt, etc.) were recruiting him for DLine. He's a 4* DT. The ranking is related to his position.

I think that both Viktor Beach and Giovanni Reveire will have breakout camps, which would be HUGE.

I love the Allen pick. Dude is an absolute athlete. Looking at how Major did because of his athleticism, I could see Allen really standing out. DB has a ton of question marks, and I truly hope that Allen comes and answers them all.

As for Faucheux, I think he will do well, but I am hoping some of the year 2 and 3 guys step up and one of them can stand out. Would love to see Marks of Johnson step up and show out. Going to need them both to have strong camps and then strong years.

Stuuuuuuuuuu seems to really like Allen too. This is some high praise coming from one of Purdue's all time great DBs. It's worth the watch if you haven't seen it.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Offense:
2. Bell

Defense:
1. Karlaftis

Surprise:

Offense: Bell WR, Biladeux TE, dark horse Horvath RB for short yardage and red zone production.
Defense: Karlaftis DE, Faucheux DT, dark horse Cameron Allen.

Will be interesting to see how this camp shakes out the new talent and to see if any experienced vets made significant strides. Also would like to see more redshirt playing time sprinkled in if players are ready. The bowl game was so awful, I didn’t waste my time to see who played while still keeping the RS.

He's a little long at 6'5" to stick him at the 1 exclusively. He can probably play there some but he's likely better suited for the 3.

Not many options at NT once Neal leaves. We’re only recruiting 1 true DT per class, which means the DE recruits will take the 3T snaps as they grow. Johnson and Faucheux are the only options. Bryce Austin is even smaller. Someone has to play NT in a couple years

Not many options at NT once Neal leaves. We’re only recruiting 1 true DT per class, which means the DE recruits will take the 3T snaps as they grow. Johnson and Faucheux are the only options. Bryce Austin is even smaller. Someone has to play NT in a couple years

That’s why I think Ox would walk in as a day one starter on what should be a very solid D-line at that point. Add Ox and it could be one of the top defenses in the Big. Austin is great, but not sure if he is a day one starter. I think Austin will be great, especially with the strength and conditioning staff at Purdue. But Ox has that rare ready made size.

That’s why I think Ox would walk in as a day one starter on what should be a very solid D-line at that point. Add Ox and it could be one of the top defenses in the Big. Austin is great, but not sure if he is a day one starter. I think Austin will be great, especially with the strength and conditioning staff at Purdue. But Ox has that rare ready made size.
I totally agree with what your saying. However, the first time I checked on Bryce Austin, his weight was listed as 259#, and now both Rivals and 247 have him listed as 285#. If he's increased that much, in just one year??, he might be on his way to what we need, by the time he finishes his Senior year in HS. But I would like to get both Austin and Ox.
BTW, Rivals has Octavious Oxendine (one of the coolest names in football) as 296#, and 247 has him at 308#. Enough said, right?

Ox has seemed to be a longshot for awhile. Has appeared he will be heading SEC (reported favorites are Tennessee and UK). Austin would be the most likely. Either would be a great get to round out a class.

Back to the original topic, I'd like to see one of the new faces on the O-Line come forward. On defense, Jaylan Alexander. I've always been a little tougher on kids out of the Chicago area that come in with acclaim and he's no different. It would be nice to have some added depth at LB this year so Bailey and Barnes can stay fresh.

I'd love some assurance that the younger DB's are doing well and could provide quality minutes early on. Obviously a position we weren't as deep at, especially now with the loss of Thieneman at safety.

My pick would be anybody from the group of Jalen Graham, Marvin Grant, Cameron Allen, Elijah Ball, or Corey Trice.

Offense:
-Kory Taylor is RS Freshman WR that's 6-5 and runs a 4.48 40. He could definitely make a great impact in camp. He really compliments Elijah's strength which is throwing the deep ball.

-Kyle Jornigan is a true freshman offensive guard that's 6-4 320. Physically he's ready to play and was actually projected to be an NFL draft pick and a power 5 starter on 247. So he might have a chance to play early. If he does well he could win a starting spot outright.

-TJ Sheffield is a true freshman WR that was also recruited by Tennessee, Arkansas and Notre Dame. He doesn't look great on paper with 5-10 170 and a 4-59 40 but he played in the highest division in Tennessee and can definitely play well. Those other schools clearly saw something in him. He looks very polished in his highlights.

Defense:
-Cory Trice is a RS Freshman S with good height at 6-3 and was recruited by Nick Holt. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a great camp and earned the starting spots at one of the safety positions.

-Cameron Allen is a true freshman 6-1 CB. Played both dual QB and CB in high school. Very athletic and athleticism is something that is sorely need in the secondary.

I really hope they give some of these younger guys the opportunity to win starting positions.

Offense:
-Kory Taylor is RS Freshman WR that's 6-5 and runs a 4.48 40. He could definitely make a great impact in camp. He really compliments Elijah's strength which is throwing the deep ball.

-Kyle Jornigan is a true freshman offensive guard that's 6-4 320. Physically he's ready to play and was actually projected to be an NFL draft pick and a power 5 starter on 247. So he might have a chance to play early. If he does well he could win a starting spot outright.

-TJ Sheffield is a true freshman WR that was also recruited by Tennessee, Arkansas and Notre Dame. He doesn't look great on paper with 5-10 170 and a 4-59 40 but he played in the highest division in Tennessee and can definitely play well. Those other schools clearly saw something in him. He looks very polished in his highlights.

Defense:
-Cory Trice is a RS Freshman S with good height at 6-3 and was recruited by Nick Holt. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a great camp and earned the starting spot at one of the safety positions.

-Cameron Allen is a true freshman 6-1 CB. Played both dual QB and CB in high school. Very athletic and athleticism is something that is sorely need in the secondary.

I really hope they give some of these younger guys the opportunity to win starting positions.
Brohm already said the freshman olinemen are a year away. Just because he is 320 doesnt mean it is a good 320

Brohm already said the freshman olinemen are a year away. Just because he is 320 doesnt mean it is a good 320
I missed where Brohm said that. Yes, it's definitely true that he's probably not 320 with great conditioning and a bf% similar to other top lineman, so that's a good point.

I guess I'm just searching for a savior on the OL...

Offense:

Defense:
-Cory Trice is a RS Freshman S with good height at 6-3 and was recruited by Nick Holt. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a great camp and earned the starting spots at one of the safety positions.

I am anxious to see if Sheffield or Anderson can help in the KO with Moore or if they could help in PR. We have not had a PR game for years.

Offense:

Defense:

I understand that Jornigan is strong as hell - stronger than most of the veteran OL. If that's "usable" strength I think he's a possibility to be in the mix, especially about 5 weeks into the season. He was not an early enrollee so I wouldn't expect him to be mentioned among the top OL until they've seen him in pads a few times. Don't be surprised if he comes out of fall camp as one of the top 7 or 8 OL.

The great thing about the new redshirt rules is the ability to play more guys early in the year. That brings several benefits, one of which being more chances to see a freshman in real action to see if it's worth burning the shirt year 1. If Jornigan (or others) can hold their own in the non-conference games, it could lead to them playing all year, but at least gives them real game experience going into the following year if in fact they do end up shirting.

I'd like to get Rondale off of the KR and PR team.Would be great if they could take that over. Anxiety through the roof thinking about Rondale take extra hits on special teams.
I too was clamoring about overuse of Rondale last year as well. There should be some quality role players on the roster now that can do it. Rondale should only be used in PR/KR if Purdue needs a sparkplug to get us back in the game or near the end of a close game that he could actually change it. I.E. practice the role, but not use him all the time to minimize fatigue and injury.

I always wondered why he was used on these plays too, when there was no good blocking to spring him. Then look at the opposing teams that would make good yardage on these plays as our players would get blocked out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT