ADVERTISEMENT

As much as I hate to follow IU's lead on anything

z_one

True Freshman
Dec 27, 2007
They FINALLY got a coaching hire right. I know that imitation is the highest form of flattery. BUT, we need to imitate what they did for their football program at Purdue.
I always felt that Purdue missed the boat by not hiring Brock Spack when Tiller left. Brock was his choice and Brock would never have left us in the situation we have now.
So what do we do? There is time now to reach out to any number of coaches and see who is really the best fit. I don't mean just culture, but winning in the new era of football. We also want someone that will stay for the long haul. We don't need someone that is just looking for a stepping stone but looks at it like it is a destination job. They are out there, we just need to find them.
We also need to be realistic about what we need to spend to field a competitive team. Let's go!

Reactions: boilermaker75
They FINALLY got a coaching hire right. I know that imitation is the highest form of flattery. BUT, we need to imitate what they did for their football program at Purdue.
I always felt that Purdue missed the boat by not hiring Brock Spack when Tiller left. Brock was his choice and Brock would never have left us in the situation we have now.
So what do we do? There is time now to reach out to any number of coaches and see who is really the best fit. I don't mean just culture, but winning in the new era of football. We also want someone that will stay for the long haul. We don't need someone that is just looking for a stepping stone but looks at it like it is a destination job. They are out there, we just need to find them.
We also need to be realistic about what we need to spend to field a competitive team. Let's go!
I like Spack but there’s no guarantee he would have worked out. Like this coach, he had only ever been a DC. In hindsight it was likely a better decision than Hope or Hazell but it wasn’t a home run hire like most try and make it out to be.

I think it would have been nice to have some long term stability BUT that just does not exist in college football now. Wether you’re bad and need a new coach or your good coach leaves for a new school or just leaves…there’s like a handful of guys in FBS that have been at their current job for 8 years.

Whoever we hire, the only way we turn around this quickly is to open up the cash register. Problem is that we have not shown that we will do that yet.

Reactions: Bippus33
A Spack hire would have been the opposite of what IU did. A defensive coordinator who’s never been a head coach.

Reactions: pboiler18
Great post zone!

Can someone explain why every hire should've been Brock Spack or Kevin Sumlin? I don't get the hype but both names are constantly dropped as replacements.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
A Spack hire would have been the opposite of what IU did. A defensive coordinator who’s never been a head coach.
That's what I was thinking. Completely different strategy.

I have no idea who out there would make a successful coach. None of us really do. We've gone the inside promotion route - Danny Hope - which was average at best. We've gone the successful G5 coach - Darrell Hazell - and flopped. We went the P5 up-and-coming coordinator - Walters - and flopped.

We have had 2 successes in G5 head coaches. Why did they succeed where Hazell failed? Recruiting (Brees/Moore)? Scheme? Motivation?

I don't have the answer. But I have nothing to do with it. Hopefully those that do can figure it out. I'm going to keep cheering my ass off though.

When the Cig hire was made, no expected what has happened. I personally cringed when he made the speech at the basketball game.

Then came all the JMU transfers and Mac guys etc. Again I cringed thinking he had no idea what the B10 would do with a roster full of these guys.

But one thing was different that not much attention has been given to it. We all know the massive struggles of IU football. I love them but let’s be honest, our best coach that we fondly look at, is Mallory and the man has a losing friggin record at IU.

So what is the difference? You can not discount the impact bringing an entire coaching staff with 10 years of continuity with each other to a school that can’t hire a single head coach let alone an entire staff. Admin forced Mallory’s son on Wilson when he was here. It took what 3-4 years to get rid of him (Mallory)? Also, it does appear that a commitment has been made to the football program from the administration. Stadium improvements are fine but I’m talking back office. We have screwed players more than once ourt of eligibility years for screwing up paperwork 😂… you can’t make it up.

There is no doubt we are better. Our schedule is favorable but the criticism has been a bit over the top. I mean you can say the same was provided for the West Division in comparison to the East before the fix. So glass houses should be considered.

He is recruiting and with NIL and the favorable coverage happening we are gonna have some good classes going forward. I’d look for an entire staff and an Offensive Coaching background for the HC.

You guys always play your guts out. You’re gonna right the ship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT