ADVERTISEMENT

Appleby quote (twitter)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Appleby on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gators?src=hash">#Gators</a> coach Jim McElwain: &quot;I&#39;ve never been around a place where our coaches truly care.&quot;</p>&mdash; Graham Hall (@GrahamHall_) <a href="">September 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Appleby on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gators?src=hash">#Gators</a> coach Jim McElwain: &quot;I&#39;ve never been around a place where our coaches truly care.&quot;</p>&mdash; Graham Hall (@GrahamHall_) <a href=" ">September 19, 2016</a></blockquote>

Sorry I'm not very good at embedding tweets here apparently.

Reactions: Cleanface
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Appleby on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gators?src=hash">#Gators</a> coach Jim McElwain: &quot;I&#39;ve never been around a place where our coaches truly care.&quot;</p>&mdash; Graham Hall (@GrahamHall_) <a href=" ">September 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
LOL- even better than Etling's blast last week!!!

Lost some respect for AA today. There's a lot of ways to convey that message without throwing a whole bunch of people under the bus. Even if its true (hard to believe not a single coach has cared about him) its not a good look.
I'm guessing he's not losing any sleep over your changed level of respect. He's in a place where he might have some success. He was never going to have that chance with our clown coaching staff.

I'm guessing he's not losing any sleep over your changed level of respect. He's in a place where he might have some success. He was never going to have that chance with our clown coaching staff.
I agree. But for his sake I hope someone whose opinion he respects gives him a lesson in PR 101. These types of comments have a way of catching up with people.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
I didn't find Etlings comments to be far off base. We definitely aren't a winning program, and him saying he is getting good coaching never directly implied Purdue's was bad (even though it is). Appleby's comments on the other hand can't be misconstrued as anything other than that the Purdue coaches never cared about him.

I didn't find Etlings comments to be far off base. We definitely aren't a winning program, and him saying he is getting good coaching never directly implied Purdue's was bad (even though it is). Appleby's comments on the other hand can't be misconstrued as anything other than that the Purdue coaches never cared about him.

Agree except I interpreted Appleby's comments to mean that he thought the Purdue coaches didn't really care about winning, not just him personally. I read through the entire article on Etling and when I got done I had to look back through it for things that someone might be construed as offensive to Purdue because nothing jumped out at me as remotely questionable the first time through.

Agree except I interpreted Appleby's comments to mean that he thought the Purdue coaches didn't really care about winning, not just him personally. I read through the entire article on Etling and when I got done I had to look back through it for things that someone might be construed as offensive to Purdue because nothing jumped out at me as remotely questionable the first time through.

I took AA's comments to more a function of coaches getting what it takes to motivate a team. Sure it was tacky but dude had to live and breath what the rest of us get to plug our noses at.

I took AA's comments to more a function of coaches getting what it takes to motivate a team. Sure it was tacky but dude had to live and breath what the rest of us get to plug our noses at.

Another poster (perhaps on another site) has the same feeling I do about AA's quote and that is; he's never had a coach (not is pee-wee, middle school, high school coaches included) that truly cares? Find that hard to believe. That being said, AA probably just had a really good practice, maybe a one on one, and spilt his emotions on social media. While he could have chosen his words better, I don't find it as damning as others.

Another poster (perhaps on another site) has the same feeling I do about AA's quote and that is; he's never had a coach (not is pee-wee, middle school, high school coaches included) that truly cares? Find that hard to believe. That being said, AA probably just had a really good practice, maybe a one on one, and spilt his emotions on social media. While he could have chosen his words better, I don't find it as damning as others.

LOL it does kinda remind me of that time that Miami te was yelling about war.

I do find it plausible he's never had a coach that cares (able to motivate).

And I don't mean that as black and white as it sounds. Some guys are just better at reaching people than others.

Haz has always reminded me of an old school coach that makes a team earn respect cause he doesn't want to make them soft by giving them undue praise. I can totally see that winning over people on the outside, but failing to resonate with players

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
And I don't mean that as black and white as it sounds. Some guys are just better at reaching people than others.

Haz has always reminded me of an old school coach that makes a team earn respect cause he doesn't want to make them soft by giving them undue praise. I can totally see that winning over people on the outside, but failing to resonate with players
Problem with that method is it depends on winning to generate any respect from the players, i.e. They eventually see a method to the madness, like with a Parcells, Knight, etc. That obviously hasn't happened here.

Problem with that method is it depends on winning to generate any respect from the players, i.e. They eventually see a method to the madness, like with a Parcells, Knight, etc. That obviously hasn't happened here.

Yup. Aside from appearing to have pretty bad schemes, I think that approach is less effective than it used to be.

Etling seems to have matured:

“Football will bring you to your knees sometimes. It’ll be sad and knock you down,” Etling said. “But if you don’t love the game, you can’t really bounce back. I was a young kid at Purdue and I’ve grown up a lot in the last year.”

From that same article: "Side note: For all the talk about two discarded Purdue quarterbacks starting for SEC teams on Saturday, the only Purdue quarterback who picked up a win was Purdue's current quarterback, David Blough."

In defense of the "other two", they actually played good teams.

In defense of Blough, he's a Sophomore and his best football is likely ahead of him. The other two....well, one's coach just got fired and the other probably won't play more than 1 or 2 more games.

Those two shouldn't be relied upon as anything more than game managers. They did their job for the most part and if fans were expecting more, they're going to be sorely disappointed. That's the exact reason they didn't succeed here (bad coaching not withstanding). At Purdue, if you can't be relied on to be a playmaker behind center, the entire season will sink with you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT