ADVERTISEMENT

Appeals court allows Trump to keep asylum seekers in Mexico.....another win for America

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
By TED HESSON

05/07/2019 09:04 PM EDT

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that the Trump administration may, for now, require certain non-Mexican asylum seekers to wait in Mexico pending resolution of their cases.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit cited different reasons for permitting the “remain in Mexico” initiative to move forward after a lower court blocked it last month. The appeals court allowed the policy to continue only on a temporary basis, while the court considers broader issues in the case.

The ruling represents a victory for President Donald Trump, whose immigration policies have faced constant legal challenges. A federal judge in late November halted a separate Trump attempt to bar migrants from seeking asylum if they cross the border between ports of entry.

Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain, an appointee of former President Ronald Reagan, authored the 11-page opinion and wrote that the administration was likely to succeed on legal challenges to the policy under federal immigration and regulatory law.

O'Scannlain also said the Homeland Security Department could face harm if a federal court order freezes one of its enforcement tools.

Get the latest on employment and immigration, every weekday morning — in your inbox.
By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.

“DHS is likely to suffer irreparable harm absent a stay because the preliminary injunction takes off the table one of the few congressionally authorized measures available to process the approximately 2,000 migrants who are currently arriving at the nation’s southern border on a daily basis,” he wrote.

The other two judges — Obama and Clinton appointees — also backed allowing the policy to stay in effect, but raised questions about it in concurring opinions.

Judge William Fletcher, the Clinton appointee, argued that existing federal statute did not allow DHS to send migrants to Mexico under the program.

“The government is wrong,” he wrote. “Not just arguably wrong, but clearly and flagrantly wrong.“

A San Francisco-based district court judge first blocked the “remain in Mexico” policy in April. The judge said the initiative, formally known as the “Migrant Protection Protocols,” likely violated federal regulatory law. The Trump administration appealed the case to the 9th Circuit, which allowed the policy to be implemented immediately while it considered the issue.

The latest ruling keeps “remain in Mexico” in effect while the case continues before the appeals court.

Former Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen first announced the measure in late December, moments before she was set to testify before the Democrat-controlled House Judiciary Committee.

“Aliens trying to game the system to get into our country illegally will no longer be able to disappear into the United States,” Nielsen said in a written statement at the time.

The Mexican government agreed to accept the asylum seekers for humanitarian reasons, but described the policy as a unilateral move by the U.S.

Trump has portrayed the arrival of migrants at the border as an “invasion” and suggested many asylum seekers don’t have valid claims. In late April, he issued a memorandum that called for top immigration officials to develop several regulations to toughen and accelerate the asylum process.

The April memo urges administration officials to impose a fee on asylum applications, bar certain asylum seekers from obtaining work authorization while their applications are pending, speed up court decisions and limit other avenues of relief.

Reactions: guidelinesa2
By TED HESSON

05/07/2019 09:04 PM EDT

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that the Trump administration may, for now, require certain non-Mexican asylum seekers to wait in Mexico pending resolution of their cases.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit cited different reasons for permitting the “remain in Mexico” initiative to move forward after a lower court blocked it last month. The appeals court allowed the policy to continue only on a temporary basis, while the court considers broader issues in the case.

The ruling represents a victory for President Donald Trump, whose immigration policies have faced constant legal challenges. A federal judge in late November halted a separate Trump attempt to bar migrants from seeking asylum if they cross the border between ports of entry.

Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain, an appointee of former President Ronald Reagan, authored the 11-page opinion and wrote that the administration was likely to succeed on legal challenges to the policy under federal immigration and regulatory law.

O'Scannlain also said the Homeland Security Department could face harm if a federal court order freezes one of its enforcement tools.

Get the latest on employment and immigration, every weekday morning — in your inbox.
By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.

“DHS is likely to suffer irreparable harm absent a stay because the preliminary injunction takes off the table one of the few congressionally authorized measures available to process the approximately 2,000 migrants who are currently arriving at the nation’s southern border on a daily basis,” he wrote.

The other two judges — Obama and Clinton appointees — also backed allowing the policy to stay in effect, but raised questions about it in concurring opinions.

Judge William Fletcher, the Clinton appointee, argued that existing federal statute did not allow DHS to send migrants to Mexico under the program.

“The government is wrong,” he wrote. “Not just arguably wrong, but clearly and flagrantly wrong.“

A San Francisco-based district court judge first blocked the “remain in Mexico” policy in April. The judge said the initiative, formally known as the “Migrant Protection Protocols,” likely violated federal regulatory law. The Trump administration appealed the case to the 9th Circuit, which allowed the policy to be implemented immediately while it considered the issue.

The latest ruling keeps “remain in Mexico” in effect while the case continues before the appeals court.

Former Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen first announced the measure in late December, moments before she was set to testify before the Democrat-controlled House Judiciary Committee.

“Aliens trying to game the system to get into our country illegally will no longer be able to disappear into the United States,” Nielsen said in a written statement at the time.

The Mexican government agreed to accept the asylum seekers for humanitarian reasons, but described the policy as a unilateral move by the U.S.

Trump has portrayed the arrival of migrants at the border as an “invasion” and suggested many asylum seekers don’t have valid claims. In late April, he issued a memorandum that called for top immigration officials to develop several regulations to toughen and accelerate the asylum process.

The April memo urges administration officials to impose a fee on asylum applications, bar certain asylum seekers from obtaining work authorization while their applications are pending, speed up court decisions and limit other avenues of relief.
Cool, when do you want them to start work on the bread ovens?

That's ignorant man. I know you love the libs, but even for a die-hard commie leaning lefty....that's so wrong in so many ways.:(
Really? I'm not the one cheering a win against poor people seeking asylum, nor would I ever cheer separating children from their parents to send a message. Auschwitz as you know it didn't start until 1941, Germans cheered boycotts and breaking windows nine years prior to that.

Reactions: indy35
Really? I'm not the one cheering a win against poor people seeking asylum, nor would I ever cheer separating children from their parents to send a message. Auschwitz as you know it didn't start until 1941, Germans cheered boycotts and breaking windows nine years prior to that.
In no way is this the same, and Trump ain't Hitler. This allows him to send "Families" back together. Hopefully your libs will come to the table and protect America and quit acting like spoiled three year-old's because their crooked candidate lost.

In no way is this the same, and Trump ain't Hitler. This allows him to send "Families" back together. Hopefully your libs will come to the table and protect America and quit acting like spoiled three year-old's because their crooked candidate lost.

The article was a little confusing to me. Is this saying that we can reject asylum seekers at the border, requiring they stay in Mexico during processing...but we CANNOT send anyone currently in the US to Mexico for holding?

It has noting to do with Trump or Hitler, it's the percentage of the population demanding action based on their irrational anger derived from deep seated fear and mistrust aimed at a specific group(s). It doesn't matter if the misguided beliefs were developed/encouraged by politician or are simply being capitalized on by them, there is no motivation to solve nonexistent problems or bring views into reality, in fact they must gin up more fear and employing harsher solutions to appear to be trying to sate the insatiable fear over an imagined problem.

There should be honest discussions right now on how to efficiently incorporate immigrants into the economy. You Trumpers are bragging about near full employment but don't seem to want to address the problems that creates for ag and construction, accounting for about 25% of the work force, that have a high demand low skill labor. All you're worked up about is the benefits of punishing families, and a strong military showing, libs, blah blah blah.

Reactions: MANelson85
It has noting to do with Trump or Hitler, it's the percentage of the population demanding action based on their irrational anger derived from deep seated fear and mistrust aimed at a specific group(s). It doesn't matter if the misguided beliefs were developed/encouraged by politician or are simply being capitalized on by them, there is no motivation to solve nonexistent problems or bring views into reality, in fact they must gin up more fear and employing harsher solutions to appear to be trying to sate the insatiable fear over an imagined problem.

There should be honest discussions right now on how to efficiently incorporate immigrants into the economy. You Trumpers are bragging about near full employment but don't seem to want to address the problems that creates for ag and construction, accounting for about 25% of the work force, that have a high demand low skill labor. All you're worked up about is the benefits of punishing families, and a strong military showing, libs, blah blah blah.
Wow, so much wrong with this statement.
Let me start. No one is angry or fearful of legal immigrants. We welcome them and have gratitude for their economic contributions.
We are angry and fearful of the illegals sneaking across the border that want a free ride under the guise of asylum.
That smuggle drugs across the border and are an overall burden to the citizens of the US.
You need to watch another news channel and realize the difference between illegal immigrants and legal immigrants.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

How hypocritical! You suggest honest discussions by flame throwing comparison to genocide? You are pathetic. Do liberals not care about laws? All you can do is play the race card as your primary defense.

The Nazi comparisons are tired, weak, ignorant, arrogant and vile. I hope you understand what level of asshole you lower yourself to when you do this.

How hypocritical! You suggest honest discussions by flame throwing comparison to genocide? You are pathetic. Do liberals not care about laws? All you can do is play the race card as your primary defense.
I didn't ask for honest discussion, I don't think it is possible. Trust me, I could not care less what you think of me. Like the ones regarding asylum seekers? Stow it, when we close the airports and ports to middle European immigrants let me know.

Reactions: MANelson85
Wow, so much wrong with this statement.
Let me start. No one is angry or fearful of legal immigrants. We welcome them and have gratitude for their economic contributions.
We are angry and fearful of the illegals sneaking across the border that want a free ride under the guise of asylum.
That smuggle drugs across the border and are an overall burden to the citizens of the US.
You need to watch another news channel and realize the difference between illegal immigrants and legal immigrants.
You should follow your own advice. Illegals don't sneak across the border to claim asylum. They go to ports of entry and through a process according to the law......at least they used to. Trump has changed that.

Most of the drugs come through the ports of entry, fact. The vast majority of illegals are not criminals, child traffickers, or gang members as Trump would lead us to believe. Those are facts.

I'm tired of you accusing others of simply believing what the media says......when you simply parrot what Trump says.....and have repeatedly shown you don't choose the educate yourself on the facts.

Reactions: indy35
It has noting to do with Trump or Hitler, it's the percentage of the population demanding action based on their irrational anger derived from deep seated fear and mistrust aimed at a speciftic group(s). It doesn't matter if the misguided beliefs were developed/encouraged by politician or are simply being capitalized on by them, there is no motivation to solve nonexistent problems or bring views into reality, in fact they must gin up more fear and employing harsher solutions to appear to be trying to sate the insatiable fear over an imagined problem.

You know, if you'd read once in awhile, you'd see that I have posted about needing workers since Trump's actions brought new jobs. I've stated that I have suppliers looking for CNC operators and are paying $17 and $19 respectively to start...with immediate bennies. I just heard of a forger in Eastern Ohio who has increased their starting wage to $27.50 per hour for general labor, which is killing other businesses in that area. I'm all for immigration, but it has to be legal. I'm not for Nadler, Schummer, Pelosi, and Bernie making it an issue where they buy more slaves to the Democrat party.

And yesterday and today, GOP Senators are meeting with Trump to find answers to the immigration issues while your Democrats are ingaged in an unproductive and worthless witch hunt with a phony impeachment hearing on Barr.

Last edited:
You should follow your own advice. Illegals don't sneak across the border to claim asylum. They go to ports of entry and through a process according to the law......at least they used to. Trump has changed that.

Most of the drugs come through the ports of entry, fact. The vast majority of illegals are not criminals, child traffickers, or gang members as Trump would lead us to believe. Those are facts.

I'm tired of you accusing others of simply believing what the media says......when you simply parrot what Trump says.....and have repeatedly shown you don't choose the educate yourself on the facts.
Wow Bob, that's a reach even for you. Illegals sneak across the boarder for illegal activites and to bypass those ports you speak of. They're not going to come in that way, and to insinuate there are few criminals in the crowds makes you appear asinine.

Wow Bob, that's a reach even for you. Illegals sneak across the boarder for illegal activites and to bypass those ports you speak of. They're not going to come in that way, and to insinuate there are few criminals in the crowds makes you appear asinine.
"You know, if you'd read once in awhile"

Once again. Illegals don't sneak across the border to claim asylum. They go to ports of entry and through a process according to the law......at least they used to. Trump has changed that.

I think there are some kids in your yard.

Once again. Illegals don't sneak across the border to claim asylum. They go to ports of entry and through a process according to the law......at least they used to. Trump has changed that.

You just can't get it through your thick skull, legal immigrants who go through the ports of entry to seek asylum do so Legally.
And if you sneak across the border, for any reason, you are here illegally. How hard is this to understand?
Illegals that cross the border in the middle of the night are the ones being questioned.

You just can't get it through your thick skull, legal immigrants who go through the ports of entry to seek asylum do so Legally.
And if you sneak across the border, for any reason, you are here illegally. How hard is this to understand?
Illegals that cross the border in the middle of the night are the ones being questioned.
I try to avoid saying things like this but you ARE a freakin idiot. JFC.

Your words.
"We are angry and fearful of the illegals sneaking across the border that want a free ride under the guise of asylum."

I try to avoid saying things like this but you ARE a freakin idiot. JFC.

Your words.
"We are angry and fearful of the illegals sneaking across the border that want a free ride under the guise of asylum."
We get it, you support and defend illegal immigration. Your position is truly indefensible. Rationalize by name calling makes your position even look more ridiculous. Carry on with of the same, it will make you feel better.

I oppose illegal immigration but I recognize that most illegals are people who overstay their visas [66% are "overstayers"] I truly don't understand why so many migrants are coming to the border. I truly do not understand why Obama was able to deport over 2 million illegals and Trump seems unable to do this. I truly do not understand why this administration is unable to deal with this situation.

If illegal immigration is not stopped we will have a situation like Europe does where governments are more and more moving to the extreme right. [See Poland and Hungary. Also, Italy and Austria. Also, to a somewhat lesser extent, France and Germany, etc] I oppose spending 37-40 million on temporary housing for illegals. You have only to travel a bit to see enormous poverty in our country - it is a disgrace when all this money is being spent on this problem.

I do not oppose legal immigration but I do oppose people who overstay their visas. Entering Italy recently, I was stopped and questioned about my return ticket. Fortunately, I was able to show my return ticket or I would not have been allowed into the country, Universities and companies should be held accountable for overstayers. Surely there are things that could be done and are not being done to alleviate some of this problem.

Grand kids and neighbor kids. You finally got something right.

They're not illegal JS...they're Demolib voters in waiting.

We get it, you support and defend illegal immigration. Your position is truly indefensible. Rationalize by name calling makes your position even look more ridiculous. Carry on with of the same, it will make you feel better.
Why don't you address the post or just move along. I didn't defend illegal immigration. I corrected a Trumper who says things that aren't true and then belittles people that point out his errors.....or is purposefully lying. This is what you people do, why am I surprised.

I guess you had nothing better to do than jump in and comment on something that wasn't bring discussed....because that's what you do. Move along.

I oppose illegal immigration but I recognize that most illegals are people who overstay their visas [66% are "overstayers"] I truly don't understand why so many migrants are coming to the border. I truly do not understand why Obama was able to deport over 2 million illegals and Trump seems unable to do this. I truly do not understand why this administration is unable to deal with this situation.

If illegal immigration is not stopped we will have a situation like Europe does where governments are more and more moving to the extreme right. [See Poland and Hungary. Also, Italy and Austria. Also, to a somewhat lesser extent, France and Germany, etc] I oppose spending 37-40 million on temporary housing for illegals. You have only to travel a bit to see enormous poverty in our country - it is a disgrace when all this money is being spent on this problem.

I do not oppose legal immigration but I do oppose people who overstay their visas. Entering Italy recently, I was stopped and questioned about my return ticket. Fortunately, I was able to show my return ticket or I would not have been allowed into the country, Universities and companies should be held accountable for overstayers. Surely there are things that could be done and are not being done to alleviate some of this problem.
Trump doesn't want to solve the problem Beth. He loses his number one issue if he does. He will promote what ICE is doing and deny entry at the border to make himself appear tough, nothing more. I think it's just that simple.

Trump doesn't want to solve the problem Beth. He loses his number one issue if he does. He will promote what ICE is doing and deny entry at the border to make himself appear tough, nothing more. I think it's just that simple.

Alas, I think you might be right.

Whether it's Trump, you or me, what is the solution?
We give a lot of foreign aid every year to help make living conditions better. More people than ever before are leaving their country to come here for a better life.

Can we save them all? If so how? I am all for helping them legally, but don't know if the country can support them all???

It's not a democratic or a republican problem, it's a humanitarian crisis.

Again, what is the solution?

... I truly don't understand why so many migrants are coming to the border. I truly do not understand why Obama was able to deport over 2 million illegals and Trump seems unable to do this. I truly do not understand why this administration is unable to deal with this situation...
It is essentially the political application of Newton's third law which is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
The potential immigrants are being and have for some time been sold by the coyotes and importers that because of Trump and Republican policies it will be far more difficult to enter in the future, so you must hurry and do it now. In effect, the Trump regular publication of the issue is the primary reason there is a spiking.

Whether it's Trump, you or
Can we save them all? If so how? I am all for helping them legally, but don't know if the country can support them all???
It's not a democratic or a republican problem, it's a humanitarian crisis.
Again, what is the solution?

It is a worldwide humanitarian crisis. I honestly don't see a solution. I rather doubt that Republicans/Democrats or anyone else sees a solution.

...illegals sneak in or overstay visas. They are by definition not following the law.
Wow.

Illegals do sneak in over the border, but they aren't are not applying for asylum. They are breaking the law.
Illegals that are seeking asylum go to the ports of entry to apply, no sneaking is necessary.
This is what I've been saying. Illegals are not sneaking over the border under the guise of asylum.
But Trump is choking the ports of entry, there by causing more to cross illegally at the border. This is what he wants. It's THE issue he uses to fire up his minions. It's working.

We have heard ZERO from him about visa overstays.

Last edited:

Say this three times BOB:
Legals don't sneak, Legals Don't sneak, L E G A L S D O N'T S N E A K!

Say this three times Bob:
It's illegal to sneak, It's illegal to sneak, I T'S I L L E G A L TO S N E A K!

If you don't think Illegals seek asylum say this slow three times:
Sanctuary cities, Sanctuary Cities, S A N C T U A R Y C I T I E S.

Reactions: guidelinesa2
Say this three times BOB:
Legals don't sneak, Legals Don't sneak, L E G A L S D O N'T S N E A K!

Say this three times Bob:
It's illegal to sneak, It's illegal to sneak, I T'S I L L E G A L TO S N E A K!

If you don't think Illegals seek asylum say this slow three times:
Sanctuary cities, Sanctuary Cities, S A N C T U A R Y C I T I E S.
This is what dementia looks like.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
I mean, wtf? The guy makes a factually incorrect statement.....and still doesn't get it. Hate to generalize, but this seems normal with the Trumpers, at least on this board. Their arguments are not on point.
A few months back he said Kaepernick actually called for the killing of cops. To this day he refuses to admit he was completely full of it.

A few months back he said Kaepernick actually called for the killing of cops. To this day he refuses to admit he was completely full of it.

The only thing factually incorrect about my post is I was assuming you could read.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT