ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried? No recruits this week. TIC

Honestly, we will probably sit at a bulk of 3* with a few more 2* unless we are able to steal a few games this year that we aren't expected to win. It's only with a couple wins when we are clear underdogs that we will probably pull some of the 4* that we are going after.

If we can't pull off a few upsets, we'll drop in total recruiting ranking (due to the point difference from those 4* to the 3* that sign), still have a "solid" class of 3* recruits for next year and begin this conversation again. It is the most likely pathway given the lower ranks of the past few recruiting classes.

That being said, I'd really like to see CJB and Co. put the fear of God into a few teams this year with schemes and player development. We'd get some headlines, people already like talking about Brohm's offense, and - although not as likely - the attention could have the same affect on flipping some 4* as actually getting the wins.
I expect those upsets to begin in year 2 or 3. Multiple classes in a row of players hand picked by Brohm for his schemes, along with actual player development and players that buy in (culture of competition), and I think this thing will be rolling in a few years. That is when we should see things (recruiting, wins, competition against the big boys) pick up. Anything before that is gravy - mostly need to avoid major setbacks in the meantime. Good discussion!

I expect those upsets to begin in year 2 or 3. Multiple classes in a row of players hand picked by Brohm for his schemes, along with actual player development and players that buy in (culture of competition), and I think this thing will be rolling in a few years. That is when we should see things (recruiting, wins, competition against the big boys) pick up. Anything before that is gravy - mostly need to avoid major setbacks in the meantime. Good discussion!

I agree that year 2 or 3 is the more likely path for locking down some 4* recruits.... but I will be happy with a heavily loaded 3* class in the first year, especially because it is such an extreme uptick from the previous 3 year trend.

Also, I really need football season to hurry up and get here. It's so close yet so far away....

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
We will upset teams this year. Book it.

Yep. 2015 ISU and 2016 Nevada. So, band day gets a similar attendance bump as a big name opponent.

News flash. People are shallow. Recruits are shallow. Most fans, let alone the general public, don't spend hours on Purdue sports websites. Outside the teams in the top 25, the average high school recruit is going to see W-L record and bowl appearances, not the strength of schedule or what teams you lost to. Wins and bowl appearances make the recruiting sell easier. You and I may know that IU still sucked last year, but look at the positive press they were receiving for getting to 6 wins. They have a lower ceiling than us because they are IU, but that first baby step out of the gutter is the same for us as it was for them. I want the program to get back to the Tiller years where we are competing with the big boys, but you don't get there from here overnight and you need something to sell to recruits and fans besides hope in the meantime.
Exactly! While the die hard fan may want to see us play tough competition, but the reality is, outside this forum, how many die hard fans are there? My hat goes off to you diehard fans. But outside this forum, I consider my views part of the majority. The majority of fans may be what you call shallow. But the majority of recruits are just like us. They want to see wins. They want to go to bowl games. They want to see Purdue in the top 20! They want to see Purdue beat IU. And they want to read positive stories in the Indy Star.

I'll leave you with this question. In the last 4 years, after what game did you go home proudest and happiest? Was it perhaps after a win?

Exactly! While the die hard fan may want to see us play tough competition, but the reality is, outside this forum, how many die hard fans are there? My hat goes off to you diehard fans. But outside this forum, I consider my views part of the majority. The majority of fans may be what you call shallow. But the majority of recruits are just like us. They want to see wins. They want to go to bowl games. They want to see Purdue in the top 20! They want to see Purdue beat IU. And they want to read positive stories in the Indy Star.

I'll leave you with this question. In the last 4 years, after what game did you go home proudest and happiest? Was it perhaps after a win?

Last 4 years? None

Osu 2012 was the last game I felt good about

Reactions: Heiner
If I had to pick one of the games from the Hazell era it would probably be the home game against Notre Dame his first season.

But the majority of recruits are just like us. They want to see wins. They want to go to bowl games. They want to see Purdue in the top 20! They want to see Purdue beat IU. And they want to read positive stories in the Indy Star.

Big time recruits don't come to Purdue to beat FCS teams and hopefully play in the Little Caesars Bowl. They do want to win, but they want opportunities to win something that matters. Big time players want to compete against the big boys and play in games that people outside of Purdue care about.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
We played the BIG BOYS under both Hope and Hazell and LOST ! Hazell also lost to the SMALL BOYS ! I didn't see any big time recruits flocking to Purdue for the chance to immediately start and get blown away by the BIG BOYS ! Under Hope, it was a mass exodus of recruits after we were blown away by Minnesota. not only did they de-commit, but the ones looking at us went elsewhere. I firmly believe recruits look at a team's win / loss record long before they look to see who the opponents were. Who did Western Michigan play last year? Do you truly believe all those new Minnesota recruits looked up who Western Michigan played or beat in the past 3 years? They finished 13-1 and went to the Cotton bowl and played UW. I doubt any recruit looked any farther. Three of their victories last year were against power houses Buffalo, Akron and Georgia Southern. . ask any recruit if they could name any of their opponents other than UW , and maybe Northwestern The chance they get 5 right is doubtful. now ask a fan of either Western Michigan or Minnesota. Take it one step farther. Ask any Purdue "fan" that doesn't post on this board who WKU played the last 3 years under Brohm. We constantly talk about Brohm's record. but who did WKU play? The bottom line is NOBODY cares! We just care about his record and that he seems to be a winner.

So you can wish for Purdue to play the toughest opponents available. But the reality is it doesn't attract top recruits if we play tough opponents and get blown away. and the fan base outside this forum cares more about wins than strength of schedule and RPI !

I'm glad you care and want Purdue to play a tough schedule, but don't try to tell me the majority of Purdue fans care or that playing a tough schedule attracts elite recruits. Elite recruits went to Louisville and Mississippi for an entirely different reason. it was called their campus guides. Recruits go to UNLV, UCLA and USC for other reasons besides their opponents.

Recruits decommited in 2012 under hope because it was the worst kept secret in cfb that he was gone at the end of the year. The loss had nothing to do with it

Reactions: TC4THREE
I understand the desire to post a decent won-loss record but it should never be compiled based on an inferior schedule-especially against FCS opposition. If we cant compete with our peers in the BIG10, then Brohm has failed. Recruits do factor nationally televised games vs BIG10 network broadcasts or regional games. A scheduled night game broadcast to 60%-80% of the country on a Saturday night against OSU, MICH , MICH ST or ND-does make an impression with high 3* or 4* recruits. We need to start getting the high 3*'s and 4* 's to take an interest again and scheduling Bowling Green, Cent Mich, or Eastern KY will not cut it.....

We played the BIG BOYS under both Hope and Hazell and LOST ! Hazell also lost to the SMALL BOYS ! I didn't see any big time recruits flocking to Purdue for the chance to immediately start and get blown away by the BIG BOYS ! Under Hope, it was a mass exodus of recruits after we were blown away by Minnesota. not only did they de-commit, but the ones looking at us went elsewhere. I firmly believe recruits look at a team's win / loss record long before they look to see who the opponents were. Who did Western Michigan play last year? Do you truly believe all those new Minnesota recruits looked up who Western Michigan played or beat in the past 3 years? They finished 13-1 and went to the Cotton bowl and played UW. I doubt any recruit looked any farther. Three of their victories last year were against power houses Buffalo, Akron and Georgia Southern. . ask any recruit if they could name any of their opponents other than UW , and maybe Northwestern The chance they get 5 right is doubtful. now ask a fan of either Western Michigan or Minnesota. Take it one step farther. Ask any Purdue "fan" that doesn't post on this board who WKU played the last 3 years under Brohm. We constantly talk about Brohm's record. but who did WKU play? The bottom line is NOBODY cares! We just care about his record and that he seems to be a winner.

So you can wish for Purdue to play the toughest opponents available. But the reality is it doesn't attract top recruits if we play tough opponents and get blown away. and the fan base outside this forum cares more about wins than strength of schedule and RPI !

I'm glad you care and want Purdue to play a tough schedule, but don't try to tell me the majority of Purdue fans care or that playing a tough schedule attracts elite recruits. Elite recruits went to Louisville and Mississippi for an entirely different reason. it was called their campus guides. Recruits go to UNLV, UCLA and USC for other reasons besides their opponents.
I just always assume you're half drunk every time you post. You post so much I hope your liver has a backup plan.

Reactions: Heiner and TC4THREE

I guess I don't just assume we can't compete with the big boys when we have a coach that knows what he's doing. Hazell lost to everyone but Hope actually held his own against Ohio State and beat Michigan in the Big House as well.

I get your point of view. I just disagree with it and don't think nearly as many people agree with you as you seem to think. We don't need to have the toughest nonconference schedule in the country but we don't need to line up three easy wins like you want either. You vastly overrate the value of cheap wins and Pizza Bowls. If we don't aim higher that low level bowl eligibility then save me the time now and I won't give the program another moment of my attention or another dime of my money.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
According to the H&R report, as it stands, we would only have 1 scholarship left to give for this current class. Now, we all know that will change and fluctuate quite a bit, but it could be an indicator of why things have slowed, at least for now. I'd imagine that we will end up taking at least 20 total, if not all the way up to 25, but that all depends on defections that are likely.

I think our remaining needs out of this class stand as others have said. DL and LB are most important. I'd like to see DT Branson Deen and DE Madison Norris from Indy. That would give us 2 DE and 2 DT. I think we also need at least 2 more LB. Best case scenario would be Chase Kline from Ohio and Justice Dingle from Kentucky. I would guess the DB recruiting is complete, though you could see Trice projecting as an OLB type if a guy like Donald Johnson (4-star DB from Indy) wanted to jump on board.

Outside of that, you would think we'd take at least 1 RB. I think we've offered several but the one I've seen mentioned the most is Caleb Steward from Florida. Elsewhere on offense, I think we will see 1-2 more WR. Terez Traynor from KY is a top target, though he's supposedly a UK lean. Although he gets mentioned for DB a lot, I think Reese Taylor, ATH from Indy would likely project as a slot type receiver due to his height (5'10) and the staff's priority on tall DB's. Not sure on any other high priority WR targets. I wouldn't mind taking TE Keaton Upshaw from OH if we have the space.

With 4 OL this year and 4 last, it's possible that part of the class is done, though you can't rule out more as that has to be a focal point of recruiting. Their strategy is interesting, seemingly recruiting primarily tall, lean and athletic tackles. 6 of the 8 total are listed as tackles. Obviously, not all will end up as such, but we will be tall across the board and quite athletic.

So I think the staff is hoping for around a 20 man class, which would leave us with 6 spots to fill. 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 offensive targets. Just a guess of course. Hopefully they can get more of what they are wanting as they find out which current guys are bought in or not.

Justice Dingle is down to Louisville and TN.

ADVERTISEMENT