ADVERTISEMENT

Another Loss

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Down 18 the Boilers crawled back because NW did not score a basket in the fourth quarter until under two minutes. Purdue had myriad chances to take this game, but their offensive ineptness is so manifest it is hard to to watch. Twelve minutes without a point stretching across the second and third quarters made the mountain too tall to climb. This team has no offensive concepts at all. Passing around for most of the shot clock leads to a lot of turnovers and empty possessions. Plus they miss a scad of bunnies that would make a huge difference. Still, despite all this, had a real chance to win this game.
We need to start over with a new coach to give this program a boost.

The offense is pitiful- they burn 20 seconds each possession before they even get within the 3 point lines. For so many veterans on the team, it’s mind boggling.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
For all the folks that want to give her another year/ get out of here. They lose a lot and will be much worse next year. Well past time for a change.

Before watching yesterday's game on BTN I attended the Louisville WBB game against Wake Forest. Talent level and athleticism on UL is impressive. Wake Forest not too shabby either. Louisville won by around 10 I think. Couldn't help but think if Purdue played them they would get run out of the gym by Louisville who plays fast, with purpose, under control and have a well balanced offense.
Living in Southern Indiana, I see a lot of U of L coverage.. they are routinely ranked in the top 20 and I'm envious of what their program has done in the last 15 years or so.
Purdue seems mired in mediocrity with occasional stretches of good/great play or runs. Frustrating, disappointing, not what anyone wants to see ..or watch!!

A poster on H&R said yesterday's Purdue game was like watching 3rd graders play with the sloppiness, ineptness and turnovers from both teams. Agree! The Louisville game was just at a much higher level and a joy to watch.
Oh, and attendance was somewhere around 10,000. Great atmosphere. Reminiscent of bygone Purdue WBB days... I'm jealous.

For all the folks that want to give her another year/ get out of here. They lose a lot and will be much worse next year. Well past time for a change.
I don’t think there are many on this board anymore who are lobbying for Versyp to get “another year” unless her team can turn it around. But it isn’t our decision, is it?

Our AD will make the final decision regardless of what we say here. All we can do is root for the athletes themselves and hope that no more impactful injuries occur this year.

Before watching yesterday's game on BTN I attended the Louisville WBB game against Wake Forest. Talent level and athleticism on UL is impressive. Wake Forest not too shabby either. Louisville won by around 10 I think. Couldn't help but think if Purdue played them they would get run out of the gym by Louisville who plays fast, with purpose, under control and have a well balanced offense.
Living in Southern Indiana, I see a lot of U of L coverage.. they are routinely ranked in the top 20 and I'm envious of what their program has done in the last 15 years or so.
Purdue seems mired in mediocrity with occasional stretches of good/great play or runs. Frustrating, disappointing, not what anyone wants to see ..or watch!!

A poster on H&R said yesterday's Purdue game was like watching 3rd graders play with the sloppiness, ineptness and turnovers from both teams. Agree! The Louisville game was just at a much higher level and a joy to watch.
Oh, and attendance was somewhere around 10,000. Great atmosphere. Reminiscent of bygone Purdue WBB days... I'm jealous.
Yes, equally frustrated. But I watched the IU @ Iowa game and at times it was equally inept. Both teams had multiple chances to win that game before it went to the second OT and had TO’s and multiple missed bunnies. While the Big Ten is very competitive top to bottom, I don’t think the level of play is of excellent quality for hardly any of the teams (if any at all). Note that there is no Big Ten team near the top of the NCAA rankings.

The current Louisville program is how Purdue was under Lynn Dunn and Fortner and the eventual NC team in 1999.. you have to be in the top 10 recruiting wise consistently to compete nationally and Purdue used to be a top 10 recruiting team in WBB and until that happens again Purdue will be somewhat mediocre and extremely thin in elite depth talent wise and we're seeing that this season.

Last edited:
If Purdue only had some elite experienced players around Harris, Oden and McLaughlin. Harris will go down as probably the best post player the Purdue WBB team has ever had... arguably... but may end her career without much to show for it as far as team success in the NCAA tourney and Big Ten championships.. She's needed better support and maybe better coaching around her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT