ADVERTISEMENT

And so here we go again, MSU...

BoilerGal74

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 15, 2006
Reactions: indyogb
35 incidents since 2012...sheesh.

You are talking about 2 incidents per month for sexual violence against women...holy hell
I'll wait and see how things shake out. Historically and even most recentlty we have witnessed that there is good reason to let it run its course in trying to find truth. I suspect some is true, but perhaps 35 is not? There are others, but the the Duke Lacrosse team and Kavanaugh are two of the higher profile situations that were wrong. Hopefully all get a REAL investigation and it gets covered down the road with enough information that we can get a great feel for truth.

OT, but has anyone heard how Haas came out from last summer?

Reactions: BoilerGal74
So far, only one voice has been heard or spoken. Remember Duke?

Look how many different times this has come up in the last decade.... Do you really think this is some giant scam women of different ages and backgrounds are perpetuating against the MSU Athletic Department over the last ten years? And its not like they are are repeating the same details... The only common thread has been the University counseling them not to go to the police as it would be “ so much harder on them than the athletes”. Curious though, how do you manage to so easily negate the Payne/Appling incident where the police actually had video of Valentine coming out and saying “She said no”. When I viewed that interview it was pretty convincing to me.... It’s not like they were putting words in Payne’s mouth..

Last edited:
I'll wait and see how things shake out. Historically and even most recentlty we have witnessed that there is good reason to let it run its course in trying to find truth. I suspect some is true, but perhaps 35 is not? There are others, but the the Duke Lacrosse team and Kavanaugh are two of the higher profile situations that were wrong. Hopefully all get a REAL investigation and it gets covered down the road with enough information that we can get a great feel for truth.

OT, but has anyone heard how Haas came out from last summer?

She dropped her law suit and recanted her original statement so he then dropped his counter suite for defamation. Every thing else was sealed if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Look how many different times this has come up in the last decade.... Do you really think this is some giant scam women of different ages and backgrounds are perpetuating against the MSU Athletic Department over the last ten years? And its not like they are are repeating the same details... The only common thread has been the University counseling them not to go to the police as it would be “ so much harder on them than the athletes”. Curious though, how do you manage to so easily negate the Valentine/Appling incident where the police actually had video of Valentine coming out and saying “She said no”. When I viewed that interview it was pretty convincing to me.... It’s not like they were putting words in Valentine’s mouth..
Appling and Payne were the 2010 (?) allegations. 2015 would be Valentines class but I don't recall seeing a Valentine interview, maybe you're mixing up the stories ? Not that it's easy to keep track of the multiple allegations against msu Bball in the last decade.

Appling and Payne were the 2010 (?) allegations. 2015 would be Valentines class but I don't recall seeing a Valentine interview, maybe you're mixing up the stories ? Not that it's easy to keep track of the multiple allegations against msu Bball in the last decade.

No...I was not talking about this incident...Rather replying to a poster who brushes off all the accusations that have come out over the years. I was Asking him how he was able to instantly discard that video of Valentine in one of the previous alleged instances. But thank you....

No...I was not talking about this incident...Rather replying to a poster who brushes off all the accusations that have come out over the years. I was Asking him how he was able to instantly discard that video of Valentine in one of the previous alleged instances. But thank you....
You are thinking of Adrien Payne not Valentine.

Reactions: cgnops
Look how many different times this has come up in the last decade.... Do you really think this is some giant scam women of different ages and backgrounds are perpetuating against the MSU Athletic Department over the last ten years? And its not like they are are repeating the same details... The only common thread has been the University counseling them not to go to the police as it would be “ so much harder on them than the athletes”. Curious though, how do you manage to so easily negate the Payne/Appling incident where the police actually had video of Valentine coming out and saying “She said no”. When I viewed that interview it was pretty convincing to me.... It’s not like they were putting words in Payne’s mouth..
Well my friend, what I'm saying is that I don't tend to rush to judgement until all parties have had their chance. I'm NOT saying that they aren't guilty, but that they, like you or me, have that right to be heard by a jury of our peers to determine (hopefully) guilt of innocense. As I said....there were a bunch of guys, who by public opinion, were about to lose everything, after being falsely accused by a woman claiming rape. Thank GOD they got their day in court.

Well my friend, what I'm saying is that I don't tend to rush to judgement until all parties have had their chance. I'm NOT saying that they aren't guilty, but that they, like you or me, have that right to be heard by a jury of our peers to determine (hopefully) guilt of innocense. As I said....there were a bunch of guys, who by public opinion, were about to lose everything, after being falsely accused by a woman claiming rape. Thank GOD they got their day in court.

I don’t remember saying they should be thrown in jail without a fair trial or necessarily even come to trial. Rather, most people believe those type of claims should be fully investigated...And that has been the primary concern over the years. MSU appears to have done nothing in ANY of these instances to even do or follow up with a thorough investigation. The fact there has been a pattern in all these cases where the accusers are all maintaining that the University has worked diligently to convince them they should not pursue the issue in 100% of the cases gives most of us pause... There is a difference between a witch hunt and believing these type of claims should be investigated. After all, if the Duke incident had not been fully investigated those young men would not have been vindicated.

Reactions: Dakota Girl

But unfortunately lost an entire lacrosse season and scholarships on top of being convicted in the court of public opinion before the facts ever came out.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and tjreese
I don’t remember saying they should be thrown in jail without a fair trial or necessarily even come to trial. Rather, most people believe those type of claims should be fully investigated...And that has been the primary concern over the years. MSU appears to have done nothing in ANY of these instances to even do or follow up with a thorough investigation. The fact there has been a pattern in all these cases where the accusers are all maintaining that the University has worked diligently to convince them they should not pursue the issue in 100% of the cases gives most of us pause... There is a difference between a witch hunt and believing these type of claims should be investigated. After all, if the Duke incident had not been fully investigated those young men would not have been vindicated.

Not true. Those Duke players were stripped of scholarships and lost their entire season based on an accusation. The school did no investigation of any sort.

And while we're here, they were only vindicated because the Duke lacrosse players could afford good attorneys. The detectives and DA office did everything in their power to manipulate evidence to get a conviction to win a re-election for Mike NiFong. There's a reason why Mike NiFong was disbarred and subsequently jailed and why many Durham detectives were fired and it wasn't because an investigation took place.

More coming out on this again. It will not end until Izzo and company step up and tell the University, the police, and most of all the players it will no longer be tolerated...they will no longer be protected.

https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-state-basketball-rape-accuser-comes-forward-040326702.html

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
I’m not doubting the victim but can someone answer this question? Why didn’t she call the police or go to the hospital for treatment?
4 yrs later and a lot of finger pointing.

I’m not doubting the victim but can someone answer this question? Why didn’t she call the police or go to the hospital for treatment?

I'm not saying there isn't a culture problem at MSU, but there seems to be a lot of unnecessary finger pointing at Izzo. Unless you believe Izzo is complicit with the higher-ups at MSU at the request of not doing proper and thorough investigations into sexual assault (there's no evidence that remotely suggests this), tough to blame the coach of a basketball team.

I can't speak to the most recent allegation because it just came out, but the 2010 allegation between Appling and Payne was 100% reported and investigated, there was no attempt at a coverup. The DA determined there wasn't enough evidence to charge Appling or Payne with sex crimes and to this day many people are still outraged at Izzo because he didn’t discipline either of the players. I don’t understand.

Not true. Those Duke players were stripped of scholarships and lost their entire season based on an accusation. The school did no investigation of any sort.

So let me get this straight... Because Duke mishandled a rape accusation, singular I might add, you are intimating MSU should discount ALL of the many accusations that have come about in the last many years about their Athletic Department? It appears they did that in the case of their
AD Dr., ignoring young women time after time until it ran into the hundreds. And I suppose you see no reason the Payne video statement to the Campus Police stating “ she said no...more than once” should not have been further investigated? You have viewed it, right? It has been in the public domain for several years now. Just when should such an accusation of rape be investigated? Never, since sometimes they are false as in the Duke case? Do you believe their sexual assault ‘counselors’ should continue to advise these young women to keep quiet and move on with their lives as an investigation would be harder on them than the athletes they claim raped them? And then those same counselors get huge promotions...? I don’t want innocent victims convicted or their lives ruined needlessly any more than you do but a rape victim’s violation never goes away but haunts them the rest of their lives.

You are a Sparty... That answer has been out there for years. The same story over and over. MSU procedures tell them to go to University counselors, who then encourage them not to follow up. If you are an MSU Student or Alumni you need to sincerely look into the last 10 years of history or so of all this if you are not familiar with it. It is truly shocking. Your answer to this incident is the same as the answer of so many of your female athletes when they tried to tell University Officials what had happened to them by your Dr. I am not saying any singular accusation is true...Not out of 35 since 2012, but wearing little green ribbons on ones lapels for a month is not the answer to “supporting survivors” of rape on your campus either. MSU has a problem and sticking its head in the sand is not going to solve it.

So let me get this straight... Because Duke mishandled a rape accusation, singular I might add, you are intimating MSU should discount ALL of the many accusations that have come about in the last many years about their Athletic Department? It appears they did that in the case of their
AD Dr., ignoring young women time after time until it ran into the hundreds. And I suppose you see no reason the Payne video statement to the Campus Police stating “ she said no...more than once” should not have been further investigated? You have viewed it, right? It has been in the public domain for several years now. Just when should such an accusation of rape be investigated? Never, since sometimes they are false as in the Duke case? Do you believe their sexual assault ‘counselors’ should continue to advise these young women to keep quiet and move on with their lives as an investigation would be harder on them than the athletes they claim raped them? And then those same counselors get huge promotions...? I don’t want innocent victims convicted or their lives ruined needlessly any more than you do but a rape victim’s violation never goes away but haunts them the rest of their lives.

Did I say that about MSU? Of course not. I said we should hold off the finger blaming of Izzo until everything comes out. You started a thread blaming Izzo for something that is really out of his control. Unless you're insinuating that Izzo is complicit in a university wide cover up (again nothing remotely suggests this) his role as a basketball coach isn't to play judge and jury.

And I've already said in another post that alleged rapes against Izzo's players in the past have been reported and there hasn't been enough evidence to produce charges (see Appling/Payne). Duke is just one example. Former Baylor player Shawn Oakman was a promising future first round pick who was accused of rape and kicked out of school. Last month it took a jury less than 20 minutes to find him not guilty. Same goes for AJ Johnson of Tennessee who was falsely accused of rape.

All I said is that Izzo needs to step up and encourage MSU officials to encourage thorough investigations by the University/ and police rather than its continuing current actions that apparently encourage the young women to not pursue following up on the “alleged” assaults. He made a big deal wearing his ribbon and crying on camera to support survivors last year after that round of accusations. I’m sure it would mean more to the women involved if he as a recognized leader and spokesman was actively supportive of investigations of alleged sexual assaults throughout the entire school. He could certainly remain neutral throughout investigations but still not want them ignored.
Afterall, I would think as someone who is the head of a program whose both players and graduate assistants have openly been accused multiple times of rape he would be one of the most interested in seeing the truth come out. If accusations prove to be falsely made up then the accuser should be held criminally responsible but it is ludicrous to suggest accusations should not be investigated because someone might sometime or another have lied about something similar a thousand miles away at another school.
Have we pretty thoroughly covered this now? Anyone who feels after all this time of continued accusations that they still should be ignored is not going to change my view nor me theirs.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
All I said is that Izzo needs to step up and encourage MSU officials to encourage thorough investigations by the University/ and police rather than its continuing current actions that apparently encourage the young women to not pursue following up on the “alleged” assaults. He made a big deal wearing his ribbon and crying on camera to support survivors last year after that round of accusations. I’m sure it would mean more to the women involved if he as a recognized leader and spokesman was actively supportive of investigations of alleged sexual assaults throughout the entire school. He could certainly remain neutral throughout investigations but still not want them ignored.
Afterall, I would think as someone who is the head of a program whose both players and graduate assistants have openly been accused multiple times of rape he would be one of the most interested in seeing the truth come out. If accusations prove to be falsely made up then the accuser should be held criminally responsible but it is ludicrous to suggest accusations should not be investigated because someone might sometime or another have lied about something similar a thousand miles away at another school.
Have we pretty thoroughly covered this now? Anyone who feels after all this time of continued accusations that they still should be ignored is not going to change my view nor me theirs.

Is there anything that suggests Izzo isn't supportive of investigations? I mean do you want Izzo to go on record and say, "Do your job"? This is why coaches should be absent from any kind of inner-dealings in situations like these because they're inherently bias. The protocol for a rape allegations needs to be changed country-wide among universities. If a victim wishes to speak to a counsellor about rape, official law enforcement needs to be present so the victim can't be steered one way or another. But that isn't Izzo's fault.

Last edited:
Did I say that about MSU? Of course not. I said we should hold off the finger blaming of Izzo until everything comes out. You started a thread blaming Izzo for something that is really out of his control. Unless you're insinuating that Izzo is complicit in a university wide cover up (again nothing remotely suggests this) his role as a basketball coach isn't to play judge and jury.

And I've already said in another post that alleged rapes against Izzo's players in the past have been reported and there hasn't been enough evidence to produce charges (see Appling/Payne). Duke is just one example. Former Baylor player Shawn Oakman was a promising future first round pick who was accused of rape and kicked out of school. Last month it took a jury less than 20 minutes to find him not guilty. Same goes for AJ Johnson of Tennessee who was falsely accused of rape.
You keep saying there wasn’t enough evidence to charge Payne and Appling, but I disagree. Look up the transcript of Payne’s police interrogation and judge for yourself. Oh by the way, the assistant DA working the case was hired by MSU as their Title IX director following the dropping of charges. How can anyone look at that and not see sleaze all over it. And no, Izzo shouldn’t get a pass. It’s hard for me to imagine he didn’t know what was going on. Heck I’m still waiting for him to show us that video he had promised us that showed Dawson never punched Travis Carrol eventhough it appeared he did on tv. Izzo is all about covering for his guys.

How but these damn coaches stop preaching about being leaders, teachers, blah blah blah. They aren’t any of that. I guess you could say that a lot of them teach their “kids” how to cheat the system, how to whine to get their way, look the other way instead of doing the right thing, but yea they are great coaches.

You keep saying there wasn’t enough evidence to charge Payne and Appling, but I disagree. Look up the transcript of Payne’s police interrogation and judge for yourself. Oh by the way, the assistant DA working the case was hired by MSU as their Title IX director following the dropping of charges. How can anyone look at that and not see sleaze all over it. And no, Izzo shouldn’t get a pass. It’s hard for me to imagine he didn’t know what was going on. Heck I’m still waiting for him to show us that video he had promised us that showed Dawson never punched Travis Carrol eventhough it appeared he did on tv. Izzo is all about covering for his guys.

So, I then take it you are insinuating that Izzo, along with the other higher ups at MSU, were complicit in dissuading the DA’s office to not file charges against Payne and Appling? Because it sure sounds like it. If not, how is Appling and Payne supposed to be disciplined for a crime they were never arrested for, let alone charges with?

So, I then take it you are insinuating that Izzo, along with the other higher ups at MSU, were complicit in dissuading the DA’s office to not file charges against Payne and Appling? Because it sure sounds like it. If not, how is Appling and Payne supposed to be disciplined for a crime they were never arrested for, let alone charges with?
You don’t have to officially break the law to be disciplined. You seriously think Izzo answers to anyone if he decides to bench/suspend a kid. You think Painter hesitates to discipline be a kid who admittedly assaulted a woman?

You don’t have to officially break the law to be disciplined. You seriously think Izzo answers to anyone if he decides to bench/suspend a kid. You think Painter hesitates to discipline be a kid who admittedly assaulted a woman?

If they actually get charged with a crime it’s out of his hands. Remember when the Duke Lacrosse team got suspended before an investigation took place and evidence wasn’t out?

And I’ve read the transcript, have you? He never admits to assaulting that girl. He admits to a baited question by the police asking him if he could feel how the girl may have felt uncomfortable and felt like she wasn’t free to leave.

Last edited:
If they actually get charged with a crime it’s out of his hands. Remember when the Duke Lacrosse team got suspended before an investigation took place and evidence wasn’t out?

And I’ve read the transcript, have you? He never admits to assaulting that girl. He admits to a baited question by the police asking him if he could feel how the girl may have felt uncomfortable and felt like she wasn’t free to leave.
The Orlando Magic had no problem with releasing Payne the minute they found out about the assault. Don’t tell me Izzo had no idea that two of his players were accused of rape and were taken into custody.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...agic-amid-msu-sexual-assault-scandal.amp.html

The Orlando Magic had no problem with releasing Payne the minute they found out about the assault. Don’t tell me Izzo had no idea that two of his players were accused of rape and were taken into custody.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...agic-amid-msu-sexual-assault-scandal.amp.html

Where did I ever say Izzo was oblivious to the accusations??? I said Izzo didn’t act because they were just that, accusations. He was never charged with a crime. And the Magic had no problem signing Payne did they? Did the Hawks when they drafted him? This was public knowledge when it happened back in 2010. Magic gave in to media scrutiny. The world didn’t find out about Payne and Appling last year when the OTL report dropped.

Is there anything that suggests Izzo isn't supportive of investigations? I mean do you want Izzo to go on record and say, "Do your job"? This is why coaches should be absent from any kind of inner-dealings in situations like these because they're inherently bias. The protocol for a rape allegations needs to be changed country-wide among universities. If a victim wishes to speak to a counsellor about rape, official law enforcement needs to be present so the victim can't be steered one way or another. But that isn't Izzo's fault.

Coaches speak out on variety of issues almost daily. To pretend that sexual assault on the MSU Campus is not an issue is ridiculous. It has unfortunately almost become a national joke if not for being such a horrific crime. No one said its Izzo’s fault but to deny it has become an issue regularly involving one or more of his players/staff is to stick one’s head in the sand...And when one does that we all know what part of one’s anatomy is left in the air for all to see. You can have the rest of this discussion with someone else..

Where did I ever say Izzo was oblivious to the accusations??? I said Izzo didn’t act because they were just that, accusations. He was never charged with a crime. And the Magic had no problem signing Payne did they? Did the Hawks when they drafted him? This was public knowledge when it happened back in 2010. Magic gave in to media scrutiny. The world didn’t find out about Payne and Appling last year when the OTL report dropped.
Izzo is a crying slime wad. And your statement fell flat the second you used the NBA as a cornerstone of it. Of course the Magic had no problem signing a rapist, that is the status quo in the league.

Izzo is a crying slime wad. And your statement fell flat the second you used the NBA as a cornerstone of it. Of course the Magic had no problem signing a rapist, that is the status quo in the league.

Nothing of my statement was false you jackass. It was public knowledge in 2010 that Appling and Payne had rape accusations brought against them. The alleged crime in of itself was reported and investigated. A rape kit was administered to the female and found no bruising or scratching that would show signs of a struggle or that a rape may have occurred. The witness' story changed throughout the investigation because she couldn't remember certain details because she was intoxicated. She wasn't being cooperative with the DA and they weren't sure if she was willing to testify. Because evidence was lacking and her story was changing on top of not fully willing to testify, the DA had no case and thus didn't press charges. That's why they were never suspended.

The OTL report released by ESPN last January was a hatchet job to try and connect the Larry Nassar case to Izzo. Nothing in the OTL report regarding the Appling and Payne case was new information, yet everyone treated it as such. The Hawks did their due diligence when drafting Payne as did the Magic when they signed him. The Magic didn't release Payne because the NBA enables a rape culture, what a ludicrous and embarrassing statement, the released him because he was a 2 way player on a league minimum contract splitting time between the NBA and the G-League. He wasn't worth the media hassle and fake media outrage that was going to ensue.

You should sit this one out because you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

Coaches speak out on variety of issues almost daily. To pretend that sexual assault on the MSU Campus is not an issue is ridiculous. It has unfortunately almost become a national joke if not for being such a horrific crime. No one said its Izzo’s fault but to deny it has become an issue regularly involving one or more of his players/staff is to stick one’s head in the sand...And when one does that we all know what part of one’s anatomy is left in the air for all to see. You can have the rest of this discussion with someone else..

Sexual assault at universities is a problem NATIONWIDE . This isn't a problem that starts and stops with MSU. It may not be magnified to the extent it is at MSU (because it's being tied to Larry Nassar), but don't kid yourself, sexual assault is a problem among colleges all throughout the country. A college basketball coach should not be the one to dictate how protocol is done. That isn't his or her job. Asking legal advice from a Title IX counselor on whether or not they should pursue charges should NEVER be the first step in reporting a sexual assault claim. It should be a MANDATORY occupational requirement that any Title IX coordinator or counselor records, documents, and submits a report to ANY claim of sexual assault to the proper authorities so its left out of the hands of the victim on whether or not an investigation takes place. That isn't their area of expertise.

Nothing of my statement was false you jackass. It was public knowledge in 2010 that Appling and Payne had rape accusations brought against them. The alleged crime in of itself was reported and investigated. A rape kit was administered to the female and found no bruising or scratching that would show signs of a struggle or that a rape may have occurred. The witness' story changed throughout the investigation because she couldn't remember certain details because she was intoxicated. She wasn't being cooperative with the DA and they weren't sure if she was willing to testify. Because evidence was lacking and her story was changing on top of not fully willing to testify, the DA had no case and thus didn't press charges. That's why they were never suspended.

The OTL report released by ESPN last January was a hatchet job to try and connect the Larry Nassar case to Izzo. Nothing in the OTL report regarding the Appling and Payne case was new information, yet everyone treated it as such. The Hawks did their due diligence when drafting Payne as did the Magic when they signed him. The Magic didn't release Payne because the NBA enables a rape culture, what a ludicrous and embarrassing statement, the released him because he was a 2 way player on a league minimum contract splitting time between the NBA and the G-League. He wasn't worth the media hassle and fake media outrage that was going to ensue.

You should sit this one out because you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.
Someone is upset because their idol is a slimeball. Sorry bro, only one in this discussion that doesn't know what they are talking about is you. The NBA loves it's felons as long as they can play and put people in the seats.

And Izzo is a slime ball. Now run along bro, you're in over your head on this one.

Here, go buy this book and have someone read it to you slow enough so you can understand it: Amazon product ASIN B000HWYLDS

Yeah I read the transcript. Just guessing that if it occurred at Purdue the players would have been disciplined. This isn’t about the law or a fair trial, etc. This is about extremely poor behavior and the standards you are expected to meet to be a member of a team. Izzo doesn’t need permission or proof to manage his team.

Reactions: MoistNecessary
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT