ADVERTISEMENT

And another into the portal. Not sure what the timing means?

Not surprised. She's good enough to go somewhere that making the NCAA tournament is a more likely option. Altogether, we are probably better off in the long run even if it hurts us next year. Someone that will be back when CKG elevates to head coach will get experience they otherwise wouldn't and will allow her to evaluate that player and where they fit in down the road.

Best wishes to KM.

Wow.....this surprises me. But I guess you really never know what someone is thinking.

I wish her the best wherever she lands.

Reactions: DocRon
Hmmn, she's close to Versyp, thinking she's not happy she's getting replaced.
Ha ha, my guess is that she wants to play in the NCAA-T, and she doesn't see it happening with Versyp. She can be close to Versyp, but she gotta think what is best for her.

Ha ha, my guess is that she wants to play in the NCAA-T, and she doesn't see it happening with Versyp. She can be close to Versyp, but she gotta think what is best for her.
I expect this team to play in the tournament next year. The talent is there. There is no reason they can't turn this around quickly. Karissa McLaughlin leaving opens up more playing time for Jayla Smith and possibly some of the other freshmen.

I'm still curious as to what kind of offensive and defensive system Coach Gearlds plans to use.

That’s lame. She will turn down the chance to play for Coach Versyp in her final year as HC. I think not.
Well something happened Des. All season Versyp commented how she'll be back next year, now all of a sudden she leaves. Look, I'm just guessing I could be wrong, however, no reason to be snappy about it. Maybe she wants to play on a team that could go far in the tourney, that's another possibility.

That's possible as well, look, I was just guessing, I don't know. I was spot on about Katie, maybe on this I'm not, just was a thought.

And Fatou Diagne too. (that is not a surprise but I think Karissa is.)

Well something happened Des. All season Versyp commented how she'll be back next year, now all of a sudden she leaves. Look, I'm just guessing I could be wrong, however, no reason to be snappy about it. Maybe she wants to play on a team that could go far in the tourney, that's another possibility.
Or, novel concept, she could try to actually help HER team get into/make a run in the NCAA tournament. I am with DES...lame indeed...selfish and short-sighted as well.

Or, novel concept, she could try to actually help HER team get into/make a run in the NCAA tournament. I am with DES...lame indeed...selfish and short-sighted as well.
She has graduated, if she wants to leave it's her decision, she really doesn't owe anyone an explanation. Time for the Coaching staff to hit the transfer market and get an athletic guard!

Last edited:
She has graduated, if she wants to leave it's her decision, she really doesn't owe anyone an explanation. Time for the Coaching staff to hit the transfer market and get an athletic guard!

Absolutely! She probably wants a chance to win something, which she wouldn’t have playing for Versyp.

Purdue has had 4 ladies enter the portal, Diagne and Farquar were expected to be gone, Harmon never played, Mac graduated and decided to go elsewhere, Katie needs to get in on a multiyear transfer or two capable of really contributing now. I don't blame Farquar and Diagne trying to play another season, work on that masters degree if a school is out there wanting their services. I'd have to believe lower level schools would love to have both of them. They'll both be around 25 years old next season, should be like second coaches!

I think the writing is on the wall for all 4 of these players....there are other players now that will be coming in that need to play to see what they can do... the playing time for the 4 in the transfer portal was going to be limited at best, they were part of the problem and the 7-15 record this last season... who knows what Karissa even has in the tank after that horrible injury. The best players on the team are Madison, Kayana and Kyle. Now build around them, add some transfers, and add the incoming freshmen and go to war!

I'd be very picky going after transfers. There's usually a reason it didn't work out at their first stop and more often than not the player is a part of the problem.

I would rather us focus on Indiana and the Midwest.

I think the writing is on the wall for all 4 of these players....there are other players now that will be coming in that need to play to see what they can do... the playing time for the 4 in the transfer portal was going to be limited at best, they were part of the problem and the 7-15 record this last season... who knows what Karissa even has in the tank after that horrible injury. The best players on the team are Madison, Kayana and Kyle. Now build around them, add some transfers, and add the incoming freshmen and go to war!
I think Kyle has yet to prove herself. She could not play anywhere close to a whole game this year. And don’t discount Doumbia who improved as the season went on as well as Brooke Moore who had 14 double point scoring games including 3 above-20-pt games.

I think Kyle has yet to prove herself. She could not play anywhere close to a whole game this year. And don’t discount Doumbia who improved as the season went on as well as Brooke Moore who had 14 double point scoring games including 3 above-20-pt games.
She's very talented...her physicality and her endurance was definitely an issue this last season but with a full off season to get in better shape and with Katie Gearlds now basically in charge I think Kyle will be a different player in November. I love her upside.

Do we know for sure that diagnu and Farquhar are gone? Also we have no idea if others will go in portal. If is open season folks. We may not know who is in this team for quite a while. We’re not alone.

That's a good question, but all indications are that they are gone. If they have their degrees why would they stay?
Your point is well taken that we may not officially know who is gone for sure and officially what this team will look like for 2021-22, for a few months. It's the wild wild west now as far as transfers in college basketball is concerned and lots can happen between now and October.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT