ADVERTISEMENT

An Optimists View

Beorik

True Freshman
Sep 25, 2019
I know literally dozens of people in this forum who will find the bad in every single game Purdue plays and find a way to trash players, coaches, and other fans. In fact they hijack nearly every single thread posted here. It makes these forums difficult to read and makes fans of the team I love difficult to stomach.
Knowing all that and knowing I will be pooped on for trying to stay positive, I am still going to post this for those few out there who are of like mind.

First of all, there is no two ways about the Rutgers game.... it is a game we should have won. That was a bad loss and an embarrassing one for our defense and special teams especially.

Now what can we take positive from things so far.

1. That is really the first game that we lost which we clearly should have won this year. Northwestern is a really good team who is in the drivers seat to win the West still. Minnesota has been up and down this year but I think most would have that pretty close to evenly matched going in.... and except for a horrible call I think we still win that game. And lets face it, almost every NCAA team loses games they should win in a season, otherwise the Ohio St’s of the world would not lose for decades.
2. 13 or 14 of our 22 starters are SO and below.... That is nearly 2/3rds of our starters. I haven’t scoured other schools depth charts but that seems very young. I would think one of the youngest in college football and we have played every game to within a score single score.
3. Pretty sure we only graduate 5 starters on both sides of the ball and only about 3 more in the deeps. We will essentially bring back the same team (minus rondale) a year older and more experienced.
4. Our highest rated recruiting class will be JRs (and RS SO) next year. That class will be dominating our 2 deeps and have 2-3 years as starters ahead of them.
5. The offense is still playing really well. Yes we had 2 questionable series and an incredibly bad timed INT but still mostly positive and for once well balanced run/pass. For the record I agree with everyone exasperated over the qb run call. I understand it seems genius if it works but with our history of bad qb runs I don’t know how we expected it to work.
6. I won’t even try to come up with excuses for defense. We are a bend but don’t break defense that blew coverage on 3 plays allowing TDs. And then we allowed a team to line up and run 90% of their last 4-5 drives right down our throats. It was a horrible, horrible game. However that is imo the first and (fingers crossed) only time we have looked that bad. We will continue to give up yards but hopefully big plays will be cut down.

Finally I will just say that I hope this game doesn’t carry over because it was very demoralizing they way they were able to man handle us for the last 4-5 series. If we keep playing hard we will be in every game. 2 out of 3 and we can still see a bowl.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Boiler Up!

I know literally dozens of people in this forum who will find the bad in every single game Purdue plays and find a way to trash players, coaches, and other fans. In fact they hijack nearly every single thread posted here. It makes these forums difficult to read and makes fans of the team I love difficult to stomach.
Knowing all that and knowing I will be pooped on for trying to stay positive, I am still going to post this for those few out there who are of like mind.

First of all, there is no two ways about the Rutgers game.... it is a game we should have won. That was a bad loss and an embarrassing one for our defense and special teams especially.

1. That is really the first game that we lost which we clearly should have won this year. Northwestern is a really good team who is in the drivers seat to win the West still. Minnesota has been up and down this year but I think most would have that pretty close to evenly matched going in.... and except for a horrible call I think we still win that game. And lets face it, almost every NCAA team loses games they should win in a season, otherwise the Ohio St’s of the world would not lose for decades.
2. 13 or 14 of our 22 starters are SO and below.... That is nearly 2/3rds of our starters. I haven’t scoured other schools depth charts but that seems very young. I would think one of the youngest in college football and we have played every game to within a score single score.
3. Pretty sure we only graduate 5 starters on both sides of the ball and only about 3 more in the deeps. We will essentially bring back the same team (minus rondale) a year older and more experienced.
4. Our highest rated recruiting class will be JRs (and RS SO) next year. That class will be dominating our 2 deeps and have 2-3 years as starters ahead of them.
5. The offense is still playing really well. Yes we had 2 questionable series and an incredibly bad timed INT but still mostly positive and for once well balanced run/pass. For the record I agree with everyone exasperated over the qb run call. I understand it seems genius if it works but with our history of bad qb runs I don’t know how we expected it to work.
6. I won’t even try to come up with excuses for defense. We are a bend but don’t break defense that blew coverage on 3 plays allowing TDs. And then we allowed a team to line up and run 90% of their last 4-5 drives right down our throats. It was a horrible, horrible game. However that is imo the first and (fingers crossed) only time we have looked that bad. We will continue to give up yards but hopefully big plays will be cut down.

Finally I will just say that I hope this game doesn’t carry over because it was very demoralizing they way they were able to man handle us for the last 4-5 series. If we keep playing hard we will be in every game. 2 out of 3 and we can still see a bowl.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Boiler Up!

Well said... Honestly 2021 is the year that excuses go out the window. It's put up our shut up time then

Well said... Honestly 2021 is the year that excuses go out the window. It's put up our shut up time then
0-2 vs Rutgers. Our coaches are being out coached and are having their asses handed to them in the form of an L. Period.
If I were Mike Bobinski, I’d call Brohm and the offensive coaches to the 50 yard line tomorrow and say you ever run a QB called running play on 3rd and short, your suspended indefinitely along with badge ID’s turned in. That play has sucked this year and must be removed from the play book. Zander, Doerue or any speedy WR can tote the rock but under no circumstances does the QB get to carry it.

Boiler Up!

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”
― William Arthur Ward

0-2 vs Rutgers. Our coaches are being out coached and are having their asses handed to them in the form of an L. Period.
If I were Mike Bobinski, I’d call Brohm and the offensive coaches to the 50 yard line tomorrow and say you ever run a QB called running play on 3rd and short, your suspended indefinitely along with badge ID’s turned in. That play has sucked this year and must be removed from the play book. Zander, Doerue or any speedy WR can tote the rock but under no circumstances does the QB get to carry it.
LOLing at the visual of Bobinski waiting for the coaching staff at the 50 yard line in Ross-Ade, arms crossed and red faced.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”
― William Arthur Ward
Your quote is also quite apt. So instead of complaining.... adjust something. I would suggest attitude since you have no say on any other aspect of the program.

I’ll agree with both of you on that. And in sports he always have to look at “opportunity“ because it’s really the only way you can advance in the face of adversity. Because you’re always going to face adversity sometime along the way. It doesn’t matter who you are.

There will be changes in the defensive staff in the off-season. Perhaps when that happens we also pick up a better coach but also a for a better recruiter?

Plus with all the QB injuries the last two years he should never be calling the QB to run,

Plus with all the QB injuries the last two years he should never be calling the QB to run,
worse call I've seen since psu called that delay run on 4th and 6 vs osu a couple of years ago during their final drive. As far as the QB running, if it's on a bootleg or a sprint out fine, we should be doing that. The Philly media is giving it to Pederson for not getting Wentz out of the pocket since he's a mobile QB. He stays in the pocket and holds on to the ball too long.

Boiler Up!
Good post! Throw logic out the window at this point, though. People want blood.
BLOOOOOOOD!
Man, that looks really weird when I type it. English is so messed up.

Reactions: Beorik
― William Arthur Ward
SCBoiler1, you hit the nail on the head with your quote. Purdue needs to adjust sails. I.E. our defensive scheme must change to fit our personnel. We know teams are going to run it against us from here on out as a primary strategy as Purdue fails at stopping it. The real question is what will the staff do to stop it?

Last edited:
Reactions: NVboiler
That game was pathetic all around. This is 2020 I suppose, I’ve seen this morning that there are at least two sources still putting us in a bowl game. WTF?, I’m all for another Boilermaker game especially a bowl game but what makes them think anyone besides me would want to watch Purdue in a bowl game? One is the cure and the other is the guaranteed rate.

Boiler Up!

Nah .. when orton hit chambers for check and mate I was ecstatic ...

I call reality how I see it .. you can’t do the same

case in point plummer played well.. there were a lot of things crumbling around him thar made it look like he didn’t have a good game when he did ...

if I was being negative just to be negative I’d be with the crowd who was trying to piss on Plummer

Nah .. when orton hit chambers for check and mate I was ecstatic ...

I call reality how I see it .. you can’t do the same

case in point plummer played well.. there were a lot of things crumbling around him thar made it look like he didn’t have a good game when he did ...

if I was being negative just to be negative I’d be with the crowd who was trying to piss on Plummer

I don’t see losing my mind at players, coaches, and fans as seeing reality good sir.

I have agreed that the game was horrible and a bad loss. Our defense looked as bad as I have seen in under Brohm. Our special teams have been problematic for 4+ years. I see reality but I keep my little boy feelings in check.

And in fairness you cannot piss on Plummer because you pissed on O’Connell yelling for a change. If you pissed on Plummer too you would look like an idiot.

I concur that the loss wasn’t Plummer's fault. You can’t let a team run over and over again with every Purdue coach and player knowing you are gonna run and be unable to stop them for 4-5 drives and then blame anyone on offense.

I don’t see losing my mind at players, coaches, and fans as seeing reality good sir.

I have agreed that the game was horrible and a bad loss. Our defense looked as bad as I have seen in under Brohm. Our special teams have been problematic for 4+ years. I see reality but I keep my little boy feelings in check.

And in fairness you cannot piss on Plummer because you pissed on O’Connell yelling for a change. If you pissed on Plummer too you would look like an idiot.

I concur that the loss wasn’t Plummer's fault. You can’t let a team run over and over again with every Purdue coach and player knowing you are gonna run and be unable to stop them for 4-5 drives and then blame anyone on offense.

take your self righteous bs and stick it dude .. I don’t know why you abs 85 think you’re the third grade teachers of this board

Brohm makes more money in a year than many people make in a lifetime... when our QB gets told to run a qb sweep on 3rd and 2 against that D I’ll call it out if I feel like it

Don’t like it.. I guess turn on Hannah Montana and sing kumbaya?

If my son was going to Purdue to play football here’s what I would tell him

“you’re gonna have a chance to be set for life. Free education .. pub if you play well. He’ll just being on the team you’ll have your pick of women. But there’s a cost. One you gotta work hard. Two, if you don’t play well don’t call me crying because someone on Twitter points that out.”

now all that said ... I can’t think or many players If any that I blame that loss on. Even 38 played fine ... horvath was a stud.

> the announcer pointed out that apparently the players were playing their coverage on the end zone passes

> Diaco needed to pull Sullivan deen and Graham and sub in watts Johnson wmd Saunders

if just those things were remedied Purdue is probably up 30-20 with the ball late

yesterday I think the players were just put in terrible positions .. I think brohm owes them an apology honestly

ps I came around on O’Connell by the end of the Iowa game and was fine with him continuing

take your self righteous bs and stick it dude .. I don’t know why you abs 85 think you’re the third grade teachers of this board

Brohm makes more money in a year than many people make in a lifetime... when our QB gets told to run a qb sweep on 3rd and 2 against that D I’ll call it out if I feel like it

Don’t like it.. I guess turn on Hannah Montana and sing kumbaya?

If my son was going to Purdue to play football here’s what I would tell him

“you’re gonna have a chance to be set for life. Free education .. pub if you play well. He’ll just being on the team you’ll have your pick of women. But there’s a cost. One you gotta work hard. Two, if you don’t play well don’t call me crying because someone on Twitter points that out.”

now all that said ... I can’t think or many players If any that I blame that loss on. Even 38 played fine ... horvath was a stud.

> the announcer pointed out that apparently the players were playing their coverage on the end zone passes

> Diaco needed to pull Sullivan deen and Graham and sub in watts Johnson wmd Saunders

if just those things were remedied Purdue is probably up 30-20 with the ball late

yesterday I think the players were just put in terrible positions .. I think brohm owes them an apology honestly

ps I came around on O’Connell by the end of the Iowa game and was fine with him continuing

See those are great and reasonable discussion points and I would agree with most of them.

And I apologize if you weren’t one of the ones calling out individual players without knowing their assignments or calling for coaches to be fired in the first quarter of a game.

I personally believe there were badly played or completely missed individual assignments on defense throughout the game. And worse they were manhandled and seemed to lose all the will to play by the fourth quarter. Those could be issues with players or with coaches or a combination of both.

Where I try to be reasonable is.... someone decided to make a DC change in the offseason (AD and HC I would assume). Not only that, they decided make a major change in defensive scheme. With that comes conciquinces. If they were unwilling to deal with the growing pains of making that change that is a mistake the people who made the decision. The DC should have an opportunity to build what he needs without being fired. I find people who cannot see that as unreasonable.

I also have said I agree the qb run call and other calls btw were not good. But you don’t fire a coach for making a bad call when overall that side of the ball was not responsible for the loss. Every coach makes bad calls.

In fact no matter how this year turns our I will not be calling for any coaches head. Why? Because this staff will have vastly overachieved in 2 seasons and had 1 season crushed by injuries and still finished like 9th in the Big which is still better than we were doing. Even if we lose every game the rest of this season that will be one of 4 years that was a huge disappointment. I think this staff has earned more time than that. That of course is my opinion.

See those are great and reasonable discussion points and I would agree with most of them.

And I apologize if you weren’t one of the ones calling out individual players without knowing their assignments or calling for coaches to be fired in the first quarter of a game.

I personally believe there were badly played or completely missed individual assignments on defense throughout the game. And worse they were manhandled and seemed to lose all the will to play by the fourth quarter. Those could be issues with players or with coaches or a combination of both.

Where I try to be reasonable is.... someone decided to make a DC change in the offseason (AD and HC I would assume). Not only that, they decided make a major change in defensive scheme. With that comes conciquinces. If they were unwilling to deal with the growing pains of making that change that is a mistake the people who made the decision. The DC should have an opportunity to build what he needs without being fired. I find people who cannot see that as unreasonable.

I also have said I agree the qb run call and other calls btw were not good. But you don’t fire a coach for making a bad call when overall that side of the ball was not responsible for the loss. Every coach makes bad calls.

In fact no matter how this year turns our I will not be calling for any coaches head. Why? Because this staff will have vastly overachieved in 2 seasons and had 1 season crushed by injuries and still finished like 9th in the Big which is still better than we were doing. Even if we lose every game the rest of this season that will be one of 4 years that was a huge disappointment. I think this staff has earned more time than that. That of course is my opinion.

just so we are clear I wasn’t even calling out 16, 38 and 40 for being bad people in the first game. My point was.. coaches should be able to put out better options. That said, I am fine admitting that I’m wrong and I was wrong about 40 and partially wrong about 16.

a couple more things

1) I get frustrated with brohm for not doing as good as I know he can. I don’t want to fire him because I don’t believe we can.

2) brohm was wrong to hire Diaco .. that said just Like hazell coming here and thinking he could be Jim tressel in west Lafayette .. diaco’s stuff won’t work here

you run the 3-4 when you’re the school that can sign that 6.0 RR nose Tackle. Go get me Vince wilfork in 2002 and we can talk

even more troubling is that he appears to think we need an anemic version of his OWN DEFENSE. Go look at the Notre dame team he coached in 2012 and tell me why he didn’t pull Sullivan deen and Graham for watts Johnson and Saunders late in that game

[QUOTE="BCfanatic2020, post: 2798150, member: 51903"
[/QUOTE]

I hate doing this because having coached myself there is nothing more that I hate more than parents/fans who think they know what was supposed to happen on a certain play call. I am expressing an opinion without the benefit of game tape from different angles to know for sure.... but I disagree with the announcers on this.

The first one was a defender getting badly beat 1v1 imo. There is no defense in the red zone that I am aware of that tells you to turn a player lose to the corner without help. So either he expected help to the sideline and someone else made a mistake or he misplayed it badly.

I believe the second one had a linebacker as the closest defender with secondary players underneath him. I personally believe that it was zone coverage and the linebacker is the only one that reacted properly. The two secondary players I think should have been deeper in coverage and reacted quicker.

Either way I don’t blame the calls. If I am right the calls were fine and were executed incredibly poorly.

[QUOTE="BCfanatic2020, post: 2798150, member: 51903"

I hate doing this because having coached myself there is nothing more that I hate more than parents/fans who think they know what was supposed to happen on a certain play call. I am expressing an opinion without the benefit of game tape from different angles to know for sure.... but I disagree with the announcers on this.

The first one was a defender getting badly beat 1v1 imo. There is no defense in the red zone that I am aware of that tells you to turn a player lose to the corner without help. So either he expected help to the sideline and someone else made a mistake or he misplayed it badly.

I believe the second one had a linebacker as the closest defender with secondary players underneath him. I personally believe that it was zone coverage and the linebacker is the only one that reacted properly. The two secondary players I think should have been deeper in coverage and reacted quicker.

Either way I don’t blame the calls. If I am right the calls were fine and were executed incredibly poorly.
[/QUOTE]

acho went into how Rutgers coaches knew Diaco likes to stay in cover 3 and how Rutgers ran timing plays to the holes in the zone ... I mean he played in the nfl so...

a couple more things

1) I get frustrated with brohm for not doing as good as I know he can. I don’t want to fire him because I don’t believe we can.

2) brohm was wrong to hire Diaco .. that said just Like hazell coming here and thinking he could be Jim tressel in west Lafayette .. diaco’s stuff won’t work here

you run the 3-4 when you’re the school that can sign that 6.0 RR nose Tackle. Go get me Vince wilfork in 2002 and we can talk

even more troubling is that he appears to think we need an anemic version of his OWN DEFENSE. Go look at the Notre dame team he coached in 2012 and tell me why he didn’t pull Sullivan deen and Graham for watts Johnson and Saunders late in that game

I agree with you on the defense. I have tried not to get too worked up over it because Diaco runs a different 3-4 than I am used to. I would have expected Barnes on the ourside. The 3-4 I have played have essentially a NT and two DTs on the line and the OLBs are athletic DE types who can hold up to the run and pass rush. Diacos is different. He has a concerted safety outside which I haven’t seen so I am unsure of his ideal state. But either way I think it is a couple seasons to grow into that type of change and I didn’t think we wanted a reset like that at this point.

I agree with you on the defense. I have tried not to get too worked up over it because Diaco runs a different 3-4 than I am used to. I would have expected Barnes on the ourside. The 3-4 I have played have essentially a NT and two DTs on the line and the OLBs are athletic DE types who can hold up to the run and pass rush. Diacos is different. He has a concerted safety outside which I haven’t seen so I am unsure of his ideal state. But either way I think it is a couple seasons to grow into that type of change and I didn’t think we wanted a reset like that at this point.

the problem I have is that he did run the 3-4 you’re used to at ND so why is it good enough for them and not us.

he had a nose tackle and two true DTs available last night .. why did the two DTs sit when he played Stephen Tuitt and Kapron Lewis-Moore at “DE” at Notre dame

the problem I have is that this isn’t the system he ran when he actually succeeded.

why the drop down in size? Because he went to New England? This isn’t the big least lol

acho went into how Rutgers coaches knew Diaco likes to stay in cover 3 and how Rutgers ran timing plays to the holes in the zone ... I mean he played in the nfl so...
[/QUOTE]

Very true. The part I would disagree about is bad defensive call. Cover 3 can cover that route. Again I wish I had tape. But certainly on the first one the deep on the side the td was caught has to cover that better.

If the second one was cover 3 then the secondary didn’t get the call. In no world should the linebacker be deeper than the corner and safety on that side of the field in cover 3. Someone should have been back.

my best guess is that both the corner and safety reacted to something short and the lb read it properly but wasnt able to get all the way back.

Very true. The part I would disagree about is bad defensive call. Cover 3 can cover that route. Again I wish I had tape. But certainly on the first one the deep on the side the td was caught has to cover that better.

If the second one was cover 3 then the secondary didn’t get the call. In no world should the linebacker be deeper than the corner and safety on that side of the field in cover 3. Someone should have been back.

my best guess is that both the corner and safety reacted to something short and the lb read it properly but wasnt able to get all the way back.
[/QUOTE]

Okay meaning ..

The players were where they were told to be according to acho .. so that’s the scheme getting beat

the problem I have is that he did run the 3-4 you’re used to at ND so why is it good enough for them and not us.

he had a nose tackle and two true DTs available last night .. why did the two DTs sit when he played Stephen Tuitt and Kapron Lewis-Moore at “DE” at Notre dame

the problem I have is that this isn’t the system he ran when he actually succeeded.

why the drop down in size? Because he went to New England? This isn’t the big least lol

Its confusing to me as well but perhaps and attempt to adjust to pass happy offenses? I really don’t know.

Okay meaning ..

The players were where they were told to be according to acho .. so that’s the scheme getting beat
[/QUOTE]

Yea I understand what you are saying but what zone defense do you know where the lb drops deeper than both the corner and safety. I could be wrong because I am operating off memory here. If they were in man and they exploited the mismatch then ok bad call. But i have never seen a zone call that has the linebacker in deeper coverage than both the corner and safety on that side of the field which makes me believe that one of the two was supposed to be deep and played their reads improperly.

Brohm makes more money in a year than many people make in a lifetime... when our QB gets told to run a qb sweep on 3rd and 2 against that D I’ll call it out if I feel like it.
  • Diaco 3-4 experiment is over. We can’t even do a 4-3. Adjust the schemes to fit the players or pepper in more pre-snap adjustments to stop the run at all costs. More beef needed upfront.

• Biagi isn’t earning his keeps. I’ve seen no creativity or discipline that makes me think he’ll turn the corner. Is there any way to get Tony Levine back from Chick-Fil-A store ownership to cover special teams? He was a coach into the details and got results. Fly him up ASAP. A short term contract might be beneficial to both.
Change nothing and Purdue is assured an 0-3 result to the end of season.
Just going with what I see and the recent results we’ve all witnessed.

Last edited:

I also have said I agree the qb run call and other calls btw were not good. But you don’t fire a coach for making a bad call when overall that side of the ball was not responsible for the loss. Every coach makes bad calls. Name me one other college running that scheme????

Running a 3-4 in college is just plain stupid!! U have to have stud recruits to run that scheme!! We will never have the kind of recruits that the AL..CLEM..and GA's of the world to achieve that!! Hell their not stupid enough to run that scheme! Diaco needs to go...period!

I admire the optimistic views. I wish I held the same viewpoints at this point, but I don't. That is due to the fact that there are too many questions than there are answers at this point.

We have to stop losing to teams that we are supposed to beat. In the last four years, we have gotten beat by too many teams that should not have beaten us. We seem to play down to our competition too much, i.e. Eastern Michigan, Nevada, etc. We also seem to have at least one BT game each year that we decide to not show up to. That is on the coaches to get the players motivated to play each game.

Our Special Teams is anything but special to be kind. We have had 4 Special Team coaches in 4 years right? I think we need number 5, because this area is lacking badly. When is the last time we have gotten a TD from a punt return, Valentine around 2013?, and a kickoff return for a TD, maybe Mostert?. Our punters have games where they can punt like a NFL punter, and the next game they shank every kick. Our PKs are constantly inconsistent. The last great placekicker was Wiggs.

Defense, where do you even start. It is not just this year. We have George as a pass rusher, but he needs help. We used to be the Den of DEs, but that title has not been mentioned for a while. Last night's game was the first sack that we had in 3 games. We put absolutely no pressure on the QB. It is pretty bad when a third string QB ran the same play for 7 and 8 straight times, and he probably average 6 to 7 yards a carry. We get teams in 3rd and long, and they make it almost every time. Again, this is not a Diaco problem. This happened with Holt too. Our guys will be older next year, but that doesn't mean better. Our recruiting class is not bring anyone to be a difference maker like a George last year, unless we get Yanni. We could get Barnes back, if he wanted to come back with the one year exception, but I don't know if that will happen. Mitchell is a player, but I don't see any other LBs that look like they will be ready next year at this point. That is the thing you need with a 3-4 format. We have seen what happens when we use a 3 man rush. QBs pick us a part. Our secondary, like our line, can get beat on the same type of play in the same game, similar to what we saw with the 2 TDs in the end zone corner. Our DBs do not look back for the ball most times, and too many INTs get dropped that could have changed the momentum at certain points of the game.

Our OL is improving. We are getting some good recruits that will take a year or so to develop, but that could be an actual strength in the near future. We still have questions at QB. Brohm seems like he wants a dual threat QB to run his offense, which is why we went after Hornsby, but whiffed on him. We have Sam Jackson coming in next year, but it is hard for a freshman to come in and start. If he does not pan out, we do have Allen in a couple of years. He has a great size and a rocket arm, but he is a pocket QB. I don't know how well he can scramble. WRs are not a problem. The problem with our offense is that they have to score every time for us to win with our defense. I miss the Brohm that used to have a book of trick plays. I think our playcalling has gotten too stale and team have been able to adjust to our offense.

I see attrition on this roster, as we saw last year. I see more of that happening this year too, unless COVID stops that. We need to hit the transfer portal to fill in holes. I am really hoping that Wandale Robinson has gotten sick of his time in Nebraska and will choose to transfer. I could see Brohm building plays around him like he did for Rondale. We need a slot receiver, and someone that can bring it to the house each time he gets the ball. Wandale would help to fill that role. Him and Rondale use the same training facility in KY and they know each other pretty well. Wandale would have come to Purdue initially, but did not want to wait for his time. I am hoping Rondale will help put that Purdue bug in his ear. Of course, that depends on the transfer rule passing. We could use another DE, another LB or two, and a DT.

We need changes, and they need to start this week. We might not go to a bowl game this year, but we need to start showing results by next year at the latest. This upcoming recruiting class will be his fifth, so he is getting his people in. We need to see upswing, like we saw the first couple of years. Last year, I think injuries were the problem with key people and no depth. This year I am not sure what the problem is.

Reactions: DAG10 and NVboiler
We need changes, and they need to start this week. This year I am not sure what the problem is.
You hit a lot of the points already. The problem is attention to details.
Brohm and staff have lost attention to details:
Biagi is merely collecting a check and not like Tony Levine. That ship has sailed. Tony was into the details of Special Teams and it showed. He was also a risk taker when appropriate and more often than not it worked.
Diaco wants to run a 3-4 and we don’t have to personnel to adequately run it. Purdue gets wore down, humiliated, or both. At that point no defense works well. Be a realist and adjust schemes to the personnel we have to stop the run. Every play should keep the QB guessing at this point. Mix more pre-snap fronts so we can minimize damage caused by wildcat QBs and RBs time and again gashing for 7-9 yards on 1st downs.
And finally, NEVER and I mean EVER run our QB on 3rd and short for the remainder of the year! Not when Zander, Doerue, and Moore can get 4 or more against the Rutgers when needed.
Bottom line...attention to details. Our coaches are doing a bad job paying attention to details and it has cost us two games for sure!

Reactions: DAG10 and NVboiler
I admire the optimistic views. I wish I held the same viewpoints at this point, but I don't. That is due to the fact that there are too many questions than there are answers at this point.

We have to stop losing to teams that we are supposed to beat. In the last four years, we have gotten beat by too many teams that should not have beaten us. We seem to play down to our competition too much, i.e. Eastern Michigan, Nevada, etc. We also seem to have at least one BT game each year that we decide to not show up to. That is on the coaches to get the players motivated to play each game.

Our Special Teams is anything but special to be kind. We have had 4 Special Team coaches in 4 years right? I think we need number 5, because this area is lacking badly. When is the last time we have gotten a TD from a punt return, Valentine around 2013?, and a kickoff return for a TD, maybe Mostert?. Our punters have games where they can punt like a NFL punter, and the next game they shank every kick. Our PKs are constantly inconsistent. The last great placekicker was Wiggs.

Defense, where do you even start. It is not just this year. We have George as a pass rusher, but he needs help. We used to be the Den of DEs, but that title has not been mentioned for a while. Last night's game was the first sack that we had in 3 games. We put absolutely no pressure on the QB. It is pretty bad when a third string QB ran the same play for 7 and 8 straight times, and he probably average 6 to 7 yards a carry. We get teams in 3rd and long, and they make it almost every time. Again, this is not a Diaco problem. This happened with Holt too. Our guys will be older next year, but that doesn't mean better. Our recruiting class is not bring anyone to be a difference maker like a George last year, unless we get Yanni. We could get Barnes back, if he wanted to come back with the one year exception, but I don't know if that will happen. Mitchell is a player, but I don't see any other LBs that look like they will be ready next year at this point. That is the thing you need with a 3-4 format. We have seen what happens when we use a 3 man rush. QBs pick us a part. Our secondary, like our line, can get beat on the same type of play in the same game, similar to what we saw with the 2 TDs in the end zone corner. Our DBs do not look back for the ball most times, and too many INTs get dropped that could have changed the momentum at certain points of the game.

Our OL is improving. We are getting some good recruits that will take a year or so to develop, but that could be an actual strength in the near future. We still have questions at QB. Brohm seems like he wants a dual threat QB to run his offense, which is why we went after Hornsby, but whiffed on him. We have Sam Jackson coming in next year, but it is hard for a freshman to come in and start. If he does not pan out, we do have Allen in a couple of years. He has a great size and a rocket arm, but he is a pocket QB. I don't know how well he can scramble. WRs are not a problem. The problem with our offense is that they have to score every time for us to win with our defense. I miss the Brohm that used to have a book of trick plays. I think our playcalling has gotten too stale and team have been able to adjust to our offense.

I see attrition on this roster, as we saw last year. I see more of that happening this year too, unless COVID stops that. We need to hit the transfer portal to fill in holes. I am really hoping that Wandale Robinson has gotten sick of his time in Nebraska and will choose to transfer. I could see Brohm building plays around him like he did for Rondale. We need a slot receiver, and someone that can bring it to the house each time he gets the ball. Wandale would help to fill that role. Him and Rondale use the same training facility in KY and they know each other pretty well. Wandale would have come to Purdue initially, but did not want to wait for his time. I am hoping Rondale will help put that Purdue bug in his ear. Of course, that depends on the transfer rule passing. We could use another DE, another LB or two, and a DT.

We need changes, and they need to start this week. We might not go to a bowl game this year, but we need to start showing results by next year at the latest. This upcoming recruiting class will be his fifth, so he is getting his people in. We need to see upswing, like we saw the first couple of years. Last year, I think injuries were the problem with key people and no depth. This year I am not sure what the problem is.

We might get body slammed by Nebraska

If we keep doing what we’ve been doing, then we’ll keep getting what we are getting. Make some big changes and be aggressive whistle to whistle every play. BTW, a coach or two should be part of those changes.

jesus who coached safeties from 97-03.. can we get them back lol

Your quote is also quite apt. So instead of complaining.... adjust something. I would suggest attitude since you have no say on any other aspect of the program.
Not sure what this means but for the record I said at the beginning of the year this team could go 6-2 or 2-6 given our schedule. I thought nearly every game could go either way. The law of averages would put us at around .500. That's where we are at 2-3 and every games decided by less than 7 points. I would imagine the last 2 games will be pretty close as well.

The realist in me says that Purdue is an average team. Much better than we were under Hazel but I'm concerned the momentum we were building under Brohm may be waning given our performance over the last two years and the current recruiting. i understand we had injuries last year and we may be the "victims" of some bad calls but I don't think recruits are taking that into consideration when making their decision. When I watch Purdue I don't see much that is innovative or creative on offense anymore. Its not bad but its not Tiller rolling in with basketball on grass. I don't want Brohm fired or pretend to understand the intricacies of his offense but I'm fearful that he has not shown to be the great offensive innovator I hoped he was. As for the defense, its not great but we're 6th in scoring defense in the B10. That should be enough to win a lot of games if the offense is clicking.

Reactions: DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT