ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur College Athletics, FWIW

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
The day of playing on an even platform for all teams is long gone. The model is forever broken, Portal Transfers are a joke, NIL without limits is ridiculous and the rich and great teams are and will only get richer. Players were never poor, unclothed or hungry under the revised rules of 10 - 15 years ago, they were, with the help of state and federal politicians just damn greedy. Players went to school for free, had state of the art facilities, assistance and perks that the average college student could only dream about and were treated like Kings! I only watch taped replays of games now and even then I fast forward or delete them due to the actions of the players on the Field or Court. And with the insurance against injuries readily available, Op-Outs make me vomit! If I choose to watch professionals I buy a MLB, NFL or NBA ticket but even then with the soaring costs I only see about 1 or 2 per season!

Last edited:
Amateur sports still exist. However many of the sports you thought were pure amateur were being paid just as much but never revealed! Very few track athletes receive full scholarships. This is not to say they do not receive money from sponsors. Shoe deals, performance incentives and appearance bonuses have long been accepted practices in the amateur track world. The key to making money is by setting a record or by being selected for the Olympic team. Once you do, the money starts flowing in .

The day of playing on an even platform for all teams is long gone. The model is forever broken, Portal Transfers are a joke, NIL without limits is ridiculous and the rich are and will only get richer. Players were never poor, unclothed or hungry under the revised rules of 10 -15 years ago, they were, with the help of state and federal politicians just damn greedy. Players went to school for free, had state of the art facilities, assistance and perks that the average college student could only dream about and we’re treated like Kings! I only watch taped replays of games now and even then I fast forward or delete them due to the actions of the players on the Field or Court. If I choose to watch professionals I buy a MLB, NFL or NBA ticket but even then with the soaring costs I only see about 1 or 2 per season!
Agree 1000% - amateur and college athletics have been ruined by NBC, ESPN, BCS, agents, NIL, and the NCAA. It all started with the 1992 Olympics and the Dream Team.

In about 2-3 years we will have a report that kids are not graduating and AA males are predictably being hurt the most.

I think the transfer portal should only be used for 3-4 year participants who graduate.

The NIL should allow the university to clawback costs for overhead, such as scholarship, operational, and facility/stadium capital costs.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I can see schools making deals with major league teams much like the wnba does. Some teams will benefit while others will be left behind! I could see the Bears sponsoring ND. The Pacers sponsoring IU. And getting decals on our jerseys. The coaches already wear their sponsors clothing lines.

How long until they figure out that they can afford to pay upper echelon players more if they cut the number of scholarships given out? Pro's have limited roster sizes for a reason, and colleges are likely to work in that direction for the same reason.

and that's when the collective bargaining arguments/issue will get fueled big time, IMO.....this is going down a one way street the way the media rights and $$$$$ have taken root.....can't stop it now and some of us will not like the new picture when they unveil it. JMHO, naturally.

37741080-452f-470d-b5c2-bcb11bac6fe1_text.gif

Reactions: SKYDOG and krf3632
The day of playing on an even platform for all teams is long gone. The model is forever broken, Portal Transfers are a joke, NIL without limits is ridiculous and the rich and great teams are and will only get richer. Players were never poor, unclothed or hungry under the revised rules of 10 - 15 years ago, they were, with the help of state and federal politicians just damn greedy. Players went to school for free, had state of the art facilities, assistance and perks that the average college student could only dream about and were treated like Kings! I only watch taped replays of games now and even then I fast forward or delete them due to the actions of the players on the Field or Court. And with the insurance against injuries readily available, Op-Outs make me vomit! If I choose to watch professionals I buy a MLB, NFL or NBA ticket but even then with the soaring costs I only see about 1 or 2 per season!

Totally agree. On almost every play there is an immature action by a player that would have been ridiculed in my day, sixties, on the field.

This is a pretty interesting take. Group licensing and brand value. The end point for all of this?

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT