ADVERTISEMENT

Amad Anderson entered the transfer portal

I thought Amad was getting some good time when Rondale was out. Sorry to see him go.

Neither Sparks or Anderson were going to get much playing time.

With the way the team is playing, I would say this offseason Brohm is going to overhaul this entire roster. Again, the way we are playing, that is completely fine with me.

I think we will be major players in the transfer market, if the new rule passes. I will say it again. I think we will go with a full court press, if Wandale Robinson would enter the transfer portal. I hope Rondale can help out with this, since they are friends and work out in the offseason at the same athletic performance facility here in Louisville.

No surprise here other than it’s during the season. He got snaps but he never got targeted much. Not saying it’s his fault but lack of running good routes and getting open doesn’t get you the ball thrown to you 🤷🏼‍♂️

Neither Sparks or Anderson were going to get much playing time.

With the way the team is playing, I would say this offseason Brohm is going to overhaul this entire roster. Again, the way we are playing, that is completely fine with me.

I think we will be major players in the transfer market, if the new rule passes. I will say it again. I think we will go with a full court press, if Wandale Robinson would enter the transfer portal. I hope Rondale can help out with this, since they are friends and work out in the offseason at the same athletic performance facility here in Louisville.
Counting on you to help with him, too, if you are in Louisville. Don't let us down.

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG
With this season 'not counting' I am not surprised at any of this. I fully expect more to leave and more to transfer in.

Yep. It’s just odd timing with only two games left unless they get some kind of break eligibility wise for not finishing season in this COVID shortened season
Do not profess to know this COVID season and rules surrounding it, yet I'm sure it is not a knee-jerk reaction. The sooner you get onboard with the portal the sooner you get an opportunity where you may be looking at and can talk to their coaches.
While I'm an "old fogey" and this new portal thing seems to be an easy out for a player. I'm not commenting on any specific player, but the characteristic and trait that it will create. Old days, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Now, when the going gets tough, head to the portal. What will our workforce look like in 10-20 years from now?
Another poster noted about the other aspect "opting out of a season." I.E. My workload is too tough, I'm opting out till next year when it levels off. Deal with it Boss.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler
What specifically has happened now for two WRs to leave? Did Brohm say that they wouldn't be getting any playing time?

What specifically has happened now for two WRs to leave? Did Brohm say that they wouldn't be getting any playing time?
Don't know. My guess is both were unhappy. If that is the case, do you want them in the locker room everyday and how does that transfer to the practice and game fields?
As stated in another message earlier, I believe it creates a quitting attitude and NCAA is to thank for that by creating opt outs (Covid) and transfer portals. Does more harm to Sr's coming out of H.S. for at least the 2021 season it does, if you can trade around players in the portal.

Too bad as I really like Ahmad. I believe he has ties to Rutgers, or at least was heavily recruited by them.

I believe a poster above nailed it by saying the sooner you put ur name out, the better the opportunities.

I dont believe Sparks entered the transfer portal, rather opted out.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
A lot of talented guys in that WR room. This could speak to the talent of some of the freshman we havn't seen much of this year.

Do not profess to know this COVID season and rules surrounding it, yet I'm sure it is not a knee-jerk reaction. The sooner you get onboard with the portal the sooner you get an opportunity where you may be looking at and can talk to their coaches.
While I'm an "old fogey" and this new portal thing seems to be an easy out for a player. I'm not commenting on any specific player, but the characteristic and trait that it will create. Old days, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Now, when the going gets tough, head to the portal. What will our workforce look like in 10-20 years from now?
Another poster noted about the other aspect "opting out of a season." I.E. My workload is too tough, I'm opting out till next year when it levels off. Deal with it Boss.
Agree. Work ethic in the workforce, especially manual labor jobs isn’t the same as it used to be. Also “opting out” is just another way of saying you quit.

When our QB’s zone in on Moore, Bell and occasionally Wright, I think A. Anderson was the 3rd or 4th option/read on most plays, not saying it is wrong, all WR’s want the ball thrown to them all the time. Hoping we can keep the other receivers from Texas and Michigan that are freshmen I believe

You make good points and you are not the only old fogey on here.The good thing that comes out of this may be that some scholarships may open up now,and Brohm may bring in some needed defensive help.

Reactions: NVboiler
A lot of talented guys in that WR room. This could speak to the talent of some of the freshman we havn't seen much of this year.
Coaches were really high on Yaseen in camp. Obviously Carr should get a lot more PT in the future also.

Reactions: Roeder
Can't wait for the same people who are saying "no big deal" to tell us in 2 years that Purdue can't possibly be expected to compete with the top of the B1G because of how young the roster is. Purdue desperately needs to get old and stay old, and this is not how you do it.
Sort of agree, but the need to get old and stay old is more critical at positions where physical development is more important than talent. Young, talented receivers have and will continue to contribute. Also, the WR position is a bit overloaded, and this could open up a roster spot for "old" transfer help on defense where help is needed.

That is a part of both decisions for sure, but, at the same time...to your point about a lot of talent in that room, why are we not seeing some more of those other guys? 90% of the passes are to Bell or Moore, which is part of why Anderson and Sparks are moving on, but, last week in particular, Purdue failed to actually get the ball to Moore and Bell, and, Brohm alluded to something along the lines of how they were being covered/played, but, there are more than enough talented guys on the roster that can be productive it would seem....but have not been...and, in some cases, have not even played.

Too bad as I really like Ahmad. I believe he has ties to Rutgers, or at least was heavily recruited by them.

He was originally committed to Rutgers for a long time. Then got caught up in the OC change from Mehringer (spread) to Jerry Kill. Plus most in the area where becoming aware how bad a coach Chris Ash was. He flipped to Purdue very late in the cycle. His dad did a lot of it through the local media. Then even did a daily recruit update for a local newspaper. It played out very poorly for us Rutgers fans. Plenty of negative chatter about him on our boards right now. Many have not gotten over how it all went down. He is still a pretty good talent and I think our new coaching staff would pursue him if he had interest.

Reactions: munson15
Part of me wonders whether Brohm is starting to lose this team. For Sparks to just quit, and the same with Anderson, in the middle of the season, something strange is going on.

Can't wait for the same people who are saying "no big deal" to tell us in 2 years that Purdue can't possibly be expected to compete with the top of the B1G because of how young the roster is. Purdue desperately needs to get old and stay old, and this is not how you do it.

They’re gonna get old and stay old at outside receiver despite this .. bell has at least more year if not two, wright has two then you have yaseen, carr, rice and Sullivan.

if this was cam craig I’d be shitting

That is a part of both decisions for sure, but, at the same time...to your point about a lot of talent in that room, why are we not seeing some more of those other guys? 90% of the passes are to Bell or Moore, which is part of why Anderson and Sparks are moving on, but, last week in particular, Purdue failed to actually get the ball to Moore and Bell, and, Brohm alluded to something along the lines of how they were being covered/played, but, there are more than enough talented guys on the roster that can be productive it would seem....but have not been...and, in some cases, have not even played.

why do you think Doerue and horvath were ripping off yards at will? Cause they’re both so great? Ricky Williams? Lol

Not at WR lol.

He was originally committed to Rutgers for a long time. Then got caught up in the OC change from Mehringer (spread) to Jerry Kill. Plus most in the area where becoming aware how bad a coach Chris Ash was. He flipped to Purdue very late in the cycle. His dad did a lot of it through the local media. Then even did a daily recruit update for a local newspaper. It played out very poorly for us Rutgers fans. Plenty of negative chatter about him on our boards right now. Many have not gotten over how it all went down. He is still a pretty good talent and I think our new coaching staff would pursue him if he had interest.

I never cared whether he was here or not. See you guys in 3 years?

I have a feeling he ends up a Syracuse

I don’t know where most of the guys have ended up over the years.

I remember when Iowa was playing Miami Ohio and Manny Rogumba had left Iowa for Miami of Ohio and they had a thread on the Iowa board (best forum in the big ten) wishing him good luck after Miami Ohio played Iowa. I was like that’s dedication right there Cause I would have had no idea.

Last edited:
Coaches were really high on Yaseen in camp. Obviously Carr should get a lot more PT in the future also.

Exactly. He is not getting PT this year and he sees Yaseen, Carr, and Sullivan coming after his spot next year. If you don't want to compete ,see ya, it won't be handed to you at the next place either.

Part of me wonders whether Brohm is starting to lose this team. For Sparks to just quit, and the same with Anderson, in the middle of the season, something strange is going on.
Or maybe he is regaining control of it again. Guys just don’t wake up and decide to transfer.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Exactly. He is not getting PT this year and he sees Yaseen, Carr, and Sullivan coming after his spot next year. If you don't want to compete ,see ya, it won't be handed to you at the next place either.

right on the money. I saw jamarcus shepherd tell anthrop on tape that they were gonna try to recruit over him ever year. And anthrop did more than sparks or Anderson ever did his freshman year. So why him and not them?

if my kid wanted to go to purdue as a 5.7 RR linebacker id say go for it.. receiver? I’d maybe tell him to look around first and make sure there wasn’t a place where he could play a lot more ..

Reactions: Roeder
why do you think Doerue and horvath were ripping off yards at will? Cause they’re both so great? Ricky Williams? Lol
Totally get it, and, don't understand why Purdue abandoned the running game in light of it...more so in realization that the defense was not capable of stopping Rutgers.

The more I have thought about Diaco and the defense...in realizing that Purdue literally ran 3 plays (2 of which were bad ones...which is on Brohm) during the 4th Quarter and Rutgers possessed the ball for essentially 14 minutes...those are more than justifiable grounds to fire the guy...there are not enough excuses in the world to somehow explain THAT. If you as a DC literally cannot figure out how to get even a single stop for an entire quarter, never mind given the simplicity of what was being run (literally in this case), I am of the belief that THAT is not a personnel issue...personnel is indeed part of it, but, that is entirely on the coaching/DC.

In going back and looking at some things and thinking more about things...that was just a collective epic fail on the part of the entire coaching staff...it is mind boggling to think that four years in...THAT could happen...to the point that I question just above everything now with respect to the staff...more so when I hear the lame comments after about "needing to be better" or the special teams "not being that bad" or trying to excuse it being bad in part because apparently two guys might not have been there that normally are/would be...are you kidding me? The punter is the same guy every week and has the same problems every week...the return guys are the same guys every week and have the same problems every week...the kicker has had issues week in/week out...and that is not to bash the individuals, it is an indictment of the staff for not having options, or, just accepting those things.

To have the likes of Bell and Moore and not be able to exploit defenses every week with a staff believed to have alleged offensive geniuses on it is ridiculous...and, with responses after along the lines of "need to be better"...."back to the drawing board"..."things to fix", etc., that is just not near enough.

Somebody else in another thread touched on it...Purdue has flat out failed to show up at least once for a conference game each of the 4 years with this staff...and that is a huge problem. Somebody else noted how while Purdue has risen to the occasion and beat some quality teams, it also has played down to the competition multiple times and had some REALLY bad losses against some less than stellar teams...and that is a huge problem as well.

Early on, Purdue/Brohm played fairly competent and functional football...it was entertaining and exciting...and, there was the notion that something special could be happening...and, Brohm/staff were able to sell that...the idea that they were having success without having the guys that they needed to have even more success, but, things have not been remotely the same since the epic beatdown by Auburn, and, the program has lost pretty much any momentum that had been built.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Totally get it, and, don't understand why Purdue abandoned the running game in light of it...more so in realization that the defense was not capable of stopping Rutgers.

The more I have thought about Diaco and the defense...in realizing that Purdue literally ran 3 plays (2 of which were bad ones...which is on Brohm) during the 4th Quarter and Rutgers possessed the ball for essentially 14 minutes...those are more than justifiable grounds to fire the guy...there are not enough excuses in the world to somehow explain THAT. If you as a DC literally cannot figure out how to get even a single stop for an entire quarter, never mind given the simplicity of what was being run (literally in this case), I am of the belief that THAT is not a personnel issue...personnel is indeed part of it, but, that is entirely on the coaching/DC.

In going back and looking at some things and thinking more about things...that was just a collective epic fail on the part of the entire coaching staff...it is mind boggling to think that four years in...THAT could happen...to the point that I question just above everything now with respect to the staff...more so when I hear the lame comments after about "needing to be better" or the special teams "not being that bad" or trying to excuse it being bad in part because apparently two guys might not have been there that normally are/would be...are you kidding me? The punter is the same guy every week and has the same problems every week...the return guys are the same guys every week and have the same problems every week...the kicker has had issues week in/week out...and that is not to bash the individuals, it is an indictment of the staff for not having options, or, just accepting those things.

To have the likes of Bell and Moore and not be able to exploit defenses every week with a staff believed to have alleged offensive geniuses on it is ridiculous...and, with responses after along the lines of "need to be better"...."back to the drawing board"..."things to fix", etc., that is just not near enough.

Somebody else in another thread touched on it...Purdue has flat out failed to show up at least once for a conference game each of the 4 years with this staff...and that is a huge problem. Somebody else noted how while Purdue has risen to the occasion and beat some quality teams, it also has played down to the competition multiple times and had some REALLY bad losses against some less than stellar teams...and that is a huge problem as well.

Early on, Purdue/Brohm played fairly competent and functional football...it was entertaining and exciting...and, there was the notion that something special could be happening...and, Brohm/staff were able to sell that...the idea that they were having success without having the guys that they needed to have even more success, but, things have not been remotely the same since the epic beatdown by Auburn, and, the program has lost pretty much any momentum that had been built.

Yeah I’d implore you to look at the ND defense Diaco coaches in 2012 and tell me why he didn’t pull Sullivan deen and Graham for watts, Johnson and khali Saunders ... at worst they Would have had to put sotkowski back in the game

I think you’re looking at next year when the offense explodes.. remember.. Zico and Wright were jucos and it took them 1.5 seasons to really click. These guys were freshmen. As good as bell is, he will be better next year. As good as Wright has been, he disappears for stretches.

Next year even with moore gone, you have the line.. remember when we lost three linemen post 2018 and didn’t have suitable replacements? This time Hermanns leaves and Miller slides right in. Add another full year of O’Connell, plummer, horvath, Doerue, bell, Wright and durham all together and this offense is just gonna have a lot of things slow down for it .. Seth morales could probably play Moore’s spot and do really good racking up yards, so Sheffield should be fine

Several questions / comments.

1. when a player enters his name into the portal, does that mean he has immediately left the team? or can he say he's going to leave at the end of the season?

2. the reason this team remains so young is because brohm has "encouraged" so many older players who were not as productive as he wanted to leave. We could be a very old team with a lot of experience, if those older players were not "encouraged' to leave.

3. many people said this would be a small recruiting class. From a current glance, it appears to me this class will be just like every previous class with 20-25 new faces. I recall last year's class was supposed to be small as well until people left creating spaces. People are just leaving sooner than expected.

4. i had thought when Anderson was recruited, he was rated as both a WR and a DB. there was a lot of discussion on this board by myself and others that pointed out with all the other receivers brohm signed, there were going to be a few highly ranked recruits who would lose out. I had thought when recruited, Anderson would find his way to become a defensive back.

5. With COVID and virtual learning, has the semester ended? or is the remainder of the semester online? I guess timing wise it would make sense if the semester is over, or they no longer have to attend classes.

players don't just leave mid-season , even if they are not seeing playing time. they usually stick it out. Unless they were asked to leave. Both Ewing and Smotherman left mid season. Painter never did publically state why those two players left. It was obvious Painter asked Smotherman to leave. And I highly doubt Brohm will discuss either player's departure either. Brohm will be his usual self and wish them well in their future endeavors.

Who really wants a guy who quits his team in the middle of a season? Whether you’re his old coach or future, you’ve witnessed selfishness nearing stupidity -- a player who’d rather pout and sit out than maintain team-level training and continue professional coaching … development anyone needs short of the trip to Canton.

A mid-season quitter is no model to any teammates, either, old or new. He’s shown he’s only about himself, as opposed to a Jackson Anthrop, who may lose plays but gains appreciation by maintaining effort, then can be counted upon to deliver on third down up the gut. Who would you rather have watching your back?

We don’t remember the Alamo for its transfer portal.

Reactions: JRowdy20
Who really wants a guy who quits his team in the middle of a season? Whether you’re his old coach or future, you’ve witnessed selfishness nearing stupidity -- a player who’d rather pout and sit out than maintain team-level training and continue professional coaching … development anyone needs short of the trip to Canton.

A mid-season quitter is no model to any teammates, either, old or new. He’s shown he’s only about himself, as opposed to a Jackson Anthrop, who may lose plays but gains appreciation by maintaining effort, then can be counted upon to deliver on third down up the gut. Who would you rather have watching your back?

We don’t remember the Alamo for its transfer portal.
It seems that something is wrong when Anderson and Sparks quit the team with a week and a half to go. Something in house must have pushed them to do this is my guess. I really hate to see this happen especially for Sparks. He’s been in the program a long time to make that decision. I wish all sides the best whatever happened in both situations. A week and a half is a real head scratcher.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT