ADVERTISEMENT

All big 10 team

Mar 9, 2004
Not only will he miss out on POY he might not even be 1st team all big 10. I would take Amir C. based on big 10 play. Or a Mich. guard or Jason B from Iowa.
Not saying I dislike Carsen but I'm just sayin the obvious

Leading scorer in the conference on a possible title team not making 1st team. Good luck with that hot take.

I think there may be some discrepancies between the media and coaches, but I do expect Carsen Edwards will be on both first teams. There are a lot of really good players in the conference.

Reactions: boilerart
Lol, did you even read the post?
It's like arguing with my wife when she says he needs to sit on the bench for long stretches. Yeah, that'll work, maybe Eifort can find his own shot.

Surely he's not B1G first team.

It's like arguing with my wife when she says he needs to sit on the bench for long stretches. Yeah, that'll work, maybe Eifort can find his own shot.

You don't need to 'find your own shot.' That's the issue that leads Carsen to shooting the ball 31 times in a game and only hitting 6 or 7 of them. If you control the tempo, move the ball, and work within the structure of the offense...there are shots to be found. The issue is that frequently as soon as the ball came back to Carsen (many times with 12-15 seconds left on the shot clock), he would pull it out and attempt to play hero ball. As Brian has pointed out before, it is an issue that isn't going to simply get 'fixed' but it can be controlled with a visit to the bench.

You don't need to 'find your own shot.' That's the issue that leads Carsen to shooting the ball 31 times in a game and only hitting 6 or 7 of them. If you control the tempo, move the ball, and work within the structure of the offense...there are shots to be found. The issue is that frequently as soon as the ball came back to Carsen (many times with 12-15 seconds left on the shot clock), he would pull it out and attempt to play hero ball. As Brian has pointed out before, it is an issue that isn't going to simply get 'fixed' but it can be controlled with a visit to the bench.
What? You really think Carsen is going to the bench to think about it?

That’s never going to happen

So many kids on Purdue are playing so very well (Cline, Eastern and Eifert; dang they're efficient!), but Edwards?

He's currently at 39.1% FG, 3.0 Assists and 3.2 TO per game. Yes, I know he draws a lot of attention, but geez, so does Winston, Coffey, Langford, Cowan, Bohannon, etc.

If those numbers are first team B1G, it's a name recognition award, not a performance based award.

Right. Edwards one assist pretty much evens out his missed 24 shots and multiple turnovers.

A visit to the bench, even for 2 to 3 possessions, is a tool every coach should use.
So you think after 30 games this is what will change Carsen who has been playing this way his whole career?

He is who he is. He will decide if we win or lose. It irritates me too when he goes hero ball. I think he gets caught up competing against opposing players and gets in that mode. Last night it was Amir Coffey

So you think after 30 games this is what will change Carsen who has been playing this way his whole career?

He is who he is. He will decide if we win or lose. It irritates me too when he goes hero ball. I think he gets caught up competing against opposing players and gets in that mode. Last night it was Amir Coffey
Exactly right and this is what he was recruited to do no less.

Cassius Winston is a lock on BIG POY.
I agree! If you want to see how the game is supposed to be played watch CW! He controls the game gets teammates involved and makes his teammates better! Something Carsen should be watching and trying to do!

Reactions: dcsparty

And again, a trip to the bench for 2-3 possessions is something that can be done to detach the player from the situation. You do it if you see a player getting angry on the floor...why not when you see a player becoming hyper-focused on another player or even a fan (like we saw at Maryland) to detach them from that hold. Sit the player down, speak to them about the need to settle back in to the game, and not be focused on what others are saying or doing. If that player can't do that, you don't put them back in. A player who is able to go back in and detach is a player who will help you win...a player who can't, isn't going to do that. Arguably when Purdue tied the game, they would have been better off with Carsen on the bench as he proceeded to miss the next 8 shots and turn the ball over....arguably that wouldn't have happened if he was on the bench. Sorry, but that's the reality of that situation yesterday. Nobody, save for very few in the NBA and incredibly high ability players at the NCAA level, are above being sat for reasons as I have discussed...and that includes Carsen.

Reactions: Inspector100
Not only will he miss out on POY he might not even be 1st team all big 10. I would take Amir C. based on big 10 play. Or a Mich. guard or Jason B from Iowa.
Not saying I dislike Carsen but I'm just sayin the obvious
Have you ever heard of Cassius Winston?

So, who's in charge? Are you saying CMP has no control? A passenger?

There is not one good reason to bench Carsen for some coaching time. Dean used to bench Jordon for crying out loud. But Matt is making the money and we are bitchin on a forum so we as fans just got to hope for Good Carsen.
Somebody should make a reversible t shirt with Good/Bad Carsen. That would be a hoot

There is not one good reason to bench Carsen for some coaching time. Dean used to bench Jordon for crying out loud. But Matt is making the money and we are bitchin on a forum so we as fans just got to hope for Good Carsen.
Somebody should make a reversible t shirt with Good/Bad Carsen. That would be a hoot
Dean had pretty good talent behind Jordan.

Did you watch of any of Hunters minutes???

And again, a trip to the bench for 2-3 possessions is something that can be done to detach the player from the situation. You do it if you see a player getting angry on the floor...why not when you see a player becoming hyper-focused on another player or even a fan (like we saw at Maryland) to detach them from that hold. Sit the player down, speak to them about the need to settle back in to the game, and not be focused on what others are saying or doing. If that player can't do that, you don't put them back in. A player who is able to go back in and detach is a player who will help you win...a player who can't, isn't going to do that. Arguably when Purdue tied the game, they would have been better off with Carsen on the bench as he proceeded to miss the next 8 shots and turn the ball over....arguably that wouldn't have happened if he was on the bench. Sorry, but that's the reality of that situation yesterday. Nobody, save for very few in the NBA and incredibly high ability players at the NCAA level, are above being sat for reasons as I have discussed...and that includes Carsen.
I think if CMP thought he had any better options last night, he would have tried them. I don’t believe that he thought he did, and so he didn’t. And I agreed with him.

I think if CMP thought he had any better options last night, he would have tried them. I don’t believe that he thought he did, and so he didn’t. And I agreed with him.
Agree here. If Sasha, Hunter, or even Wheeler could have provided anything of substance it could have meant Carsen could have sat for a minute or two...but that was probably the worst I’ve ever seen a bench play at Purdue.

Here's my take. I have been saying since before the season that the fewer shots Carsen takes, the better we will probably be as a team. I've also now said for over a month that Carsen needs to trim the fat and play more like he did last year - still had a green light and played confidently, but within the system.

When you have a returning All-American, to be honest, I put it on Carsen. I think a tough part of it is that he had very inefficient games against @ Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota, @ IU, etc. - but guess what, we won all of those games. When I would say something about a red flag of Carsen's play after those games - the response on here was we won, who cares. Well, decision making is a big deal no matter if you win or not. But Carsen, in my opinion, is someone who has learned from his mistakes before and is certainly mature enough now to fix them.

For example, after the Maryland game he dialed it back a bit and had a much better game. We got back to winning, he started to grow inefficient again.

Now you're at a second "course correction" - maybe it will be met with a bit of a leash, who knows.

Carsen is plenty talented and smart enough to be playing at a higher level. But he has to realize it himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT