ADVERTISEMENT

Alford signs ten year deal

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
would rather have seen him at Cincy.

Nevada has hired former UCLA coach Steve Alford to a 10-year contract. Alford, who has a career record of 509-269 in 24 seasons at the D-I level, will take his fifth job in these ranks. He was previously also at Missouri State, Iowa and New Mexico and UCLA.

"To be able to continue my career in a tight-knit community that has demonstrated its support for the basketball program is exactly the opportunity that Tanya and I were looking for, and we are thrilled to be in Northern Nevada," Alford said via statement. "I can't wait to get to work as we look to build off the established tradition and momentum of this great program. I want this to be the last stop of my coaching career."

It's a high-profile hire for Nevada, which is trying to steady itself as a top-three Mountain West program on an annual basis. Alford was previously successful in the league when he was at UNM. Keep in mind: Alford made three Sweet 16s at UCLA.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
would rather have seen him at Cincy.

Nevada has hired former UCLA coach Steve Alford to a 10-year contract. Alford, who has a career record of 509-269 in 24 seasons at the D-I level, will take his fifth job in these ranks. He was previously also at Missouri State, Iowa and New Mexico and UCLA.

"To be able to continue my career in a tight-knit community that has demonstrated its support for the basketball program is exactly the opportunity that Tanya and I were looking for, and we are thrilled to be in Northern Nevada," Alford said via statement. "I can't wait to get to work as we look to build off the established tradition and momentum of this great program. I want this to be the last stop of my coaching career."

It's a high-profile hire for Nevada, which is trying to steady itself as a top-three Mountain West program on an annual basis. Alford was previously successful in the league when he was at UNM. Keep in mind: Alford made three Sweet 16s at UCLA.
Ten-year deal? Nevada would be wise to keep their search alive given what happened the last time Alford signed a ten-year contract.

Reactions: SKYDOG
To give someone a 10 year deal is insane.
I would tend to agree, though it seems like the coaching carousel is a sellers market this year, at least with regards to “proven” coaches like Stevie...6 years and $24m for Mick, lifetime deal for Cal, etc.

Reactions: GA Gold
He seems to sign a lot of those. Good for him. He never lasts the duration and escapes with the pay. Who said all IU grads are dumb?

Reactions: ChuckJr
To give someone a 10 year deal is insane.
Unless someone = Brad Stevens...

There are some others worthy of consideration of a long deal...Calipari got it...Krzyzewski certainly could have...Williams all but has it...Self could get it...Few could get it...Bennett and Jay Wright likely could get it where they are at...Painter might even be able to get it just because of the circumstances.

Majority of IU fans happy since they didn't want him at IU and Dakich sad because he did.....

Well, Mussleman just left after four years with Bama paying his buyout so I'd guess Nevada, who's done well is looking for continuity. And their fans appear to love the hire.
We'll see how much they love him after a couple years. He's been such a success everywhere he's been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT