ADVERTISEMENT

Painter’s best three point shooting team?

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
Matt Painter has had some great three point shooting teams, but I am thinking that this might be the best collection of shooters that he has had. Of course, they haven’t proven anything and until they replicate what Carsen and Cline did in the 2019 NCAA run, this is only about depth and potential, but Painter has shooters everywhere. Of course, some of the guys with the best reputations as shooters have yet to play in a Purdue uniform, including Loyer, who I understand is one of the best shooters coming out of high school that Painter ever recruited.

Should be fun to watch, as I am expecting that Edey will have plenty of space to operate. It could be reminiscent of 2018 when Purdue really made opponents pay for doubling Haas.

Matt Painter has had some great three point shooting teams, but I am thinking that this might be the best collection of shooters that he has had. Of course, they haven’t proven anything and until they replicate what Carsen and Cline did in the 2019 NCAA run, this is only about depth and potential, but Painter has shooters everywhere. Of course, some of the guys with the best reputations as shooters have yet to play in a Purdue uniform, including Loyer, who I understand is one of the best shooters coming out of high school that Painter ever recruited.

Should be fun to watch, as I am expecting that Edey will have plenty of space to operate. It could be reminiscent of 2018 when Purdue really made opponents pay for doubling Haas.
Sure seems that way....hope it's true!

Reverse psychology. Our 3 point shooting is going to be awful.

"Let it Rain, Gem!"

DefiniteArtisticCrayfish-size_restricted.gif

It's a big jump for freshmen from high school to college. And for those who aren't a threat with their dribble, they'll need to master that whole Ryan Cline tilt-a-whirl shooting move and have range to 25 feet.

It's a big jump for freshmen from high school to college. And for those who aren't a threat with their dribble, they'll need to master that whole Ryan Cline tilt-a-whirl shooting move and have range to 25 feet.
Cline’s ability to get off a shot was special, but I agree that it’s a huge adjustment as we saw with Cline, Mathias, and Stefanovic.

2017-18 had 5 players over 40% on near 3 or more attempts per game
Dakota - 47% on 5.6 attempts per game
Cline - 40% on 2.7 attempts per game
Vince - 40% on 3.7 attempts per game
PJ - 44% on 3.7 attempts per game
Carsen - 41% on 6.5 attempts per game

as a team they shot 42% which was 2nd in the nation and made 9.5 per game which was 33rd. Ask, the players listed were all juniors/seniors except for Carsen who won the award for best shooting guard in the country that year.

Now this years group has Furst, Morton, Gillis, and Jenkins who’ve shot 40% or better to go along with Loyer, Smith, and Newman who are all capable of hitting that mark as well but it’s a young group with the majority not having shot the volume that that they’ll shoot this season.

I don’t mind saying that I think all the players mentioned could shoot 35% or better this season and Kaufman will also hit some too. Combining that with a force down low like Edey can make for a very dangerous team but it won’t be as consistent as that veteran 2017-18 group.

I think they’ll compare more to last years team from behind the arc. Maybe slightly lower than the 39% as a team but they’ll make more than the 8.5 per game that last years team did because they’ll have to rely on the 3 ball more.

2017-18 had 5 players over 40% on near 3 or more attempts per game
Dakota - 47% on 5.6 attempts per game
Cline - 40% on 2.7 attempts per game
Vince - 40% on 3.7 attempts per game
PJ - 44% on 3.7 attempts per game
Carsen - 41% on 6.5 attempts per game

as a team they shot 42% which was 2nd in the nation and made 9.5 per game which was 33rd. Ask, the players listed were all juniors/seniors except for Carsen who won the award for best shooting guard in the country that year.

Now this years group has Furst, Morton, Gillis, and Jenkins who’ve shot 40% or better to go along with Loyer, Smith, and Newman who are all capable of hitting that mark as well but it’s a young group with the majority not having shot the volume that that they’ll shoot this season.

I don’t mind saying that I think all the players mentioned could shoot 35% or better this season and Kaufman will also hit some too. Combining that with a force down low like Edey can make for a very dangerous team but it won’t be as consistent as that veteran 2017-18 group.

I think they’ll compare more to last years team from behind the arc. Maybe slightly lower than the 39% as a team but they’ll make more than the 8.5 per game that last years team did because they’ll have to rely on the 3 ball more.
I understand that Waddell, Heide, Kaufman, and Berg can all shoot as well, but not sure which of them will play or will struggle if they do.

I do agree that it is unlikely that this young group matches the experienced 2018 group in team percentage. I think that the number of capable outside shooters may be the highest I have seen on a college team, but I concede that 42% from 3 is not realistic this season.

The Tennessee Tilt-a-Whirl was a fun ride....I'd wait in line for that one again.

giphy.gif

Probably my favorite all time single game performance for a Boilermaker right there.

Carsen's performance the next game obviously would have topped it if they would have held on for a W against Virginia. I still can't believe Virginia pulled that off.

On the subject of 3 point shooting I've often thought Purdue might have its own version of the Splash Brothers coming in with Smith and Loyer. Smith has pull up range beyond half court like Curry, and Loyer has some niftyness to shoot in a variety of ways off dribble or screens like Klay. Obviously not NBA level talent, but could terrorize the B1G down the road with a similar chemistry/pairing.

subject of 3 point shooting I've often thought Purdue might have its own version of the Splash Brothers coming in with Smith and Loyer. Smith has pull up range beyond half court like Curry, and Loyer has some niftyness to shoot in a variety of ways off dribble or screens like Klay. Obviously not NBA level talent, but could terrorize the B1G down the road with a similar chemistry/pairing.

Hope you are right.
I just hope they can D it up.....that seems to be the limiting factor for Purdue frosh PT.

Reactions: Roeder
ADVERTISEMENT