ADVERTISEMENT

Again...

Yes we all wish we had a stud PG. Probably would have only lost 2 games with an elite PG but we have what we have. Honestly 3 pt shooting was the only difference to me. Maryland played amazing post defense and the shooters could hit the 3's. Not all of those looks were bad. Swanni missed 3 good looks. Mathias missed 2 good looks. PJ missed 2 good looks. Thats the game. GG to Maryland.
Loved the effort today though. This was a terrific effort today. And thats what I wanted to see.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
No excuses, I am just correctly identifying where to place the blame. Its on the outside shooters and wings today, not the point guard and coach.[/QUOTE/]

I agree, if you can't make a jump shot you are not going to win many meaningful games. If we even would have shot mediocre from outside today, we win. There were a ton of open looks and our guys threw up bricks. Unfortunately that isn't an uncommon occurrence.

With that being said, Painter wasn't perfect either. I thought Edwards was controlling the game for a stretch, and shouldn't have come out. When he did, we lost the game. Also he needs to turn off the green light for Swanigan from deep and get him the ball inside more often.

But at the end of the day, we win if we hit the perimeter shots that were there. The coaching was probably good enough to win. And I really don't know how the PG spot lost us the game. Certainly didn't do a lot, but to say basically that PJ Thompson bears 50% of the blame today is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Yes we all wish we had a stud PG. Probably would have only lost 2 games with an elite PG but we have what we have. Honestly 3 pt shooting was the only difference to me. Maryland played amazing post defense and the shooters could hit the 3's. Not all of those looks were bad. Swanni missed 3 good looks. Mathias missed 2 good looks. PJ missed 2 good looks. Thats the game. GG to Maryland.
Loved the effort today though. This was a terrific effort today. And thats what I wanted to see.
Riiiiiiight, Mathias (a decent shooter) and PJ (a good shooter) miss 4 threes, and that's the game, but Swanigan misses 5 misses along with several turnovers, which had no impact on the outcome. Sound logic there!

Riiiiiiight, Mathias (a decent shooter) and PJ (a good shooter) miss 4 threes, and that's the game, but Swanigan misses 5 misses along with several turnovers, which had no impact on the outcome. Sound logic there!

I thought 3 of those were good looks too for Swanni. I thought the TO battle was about even until the end. It was a good game either way. TO's look they are going to be a problem for the rest of the season. I just think that the 3 point shooting was the difference. No need for sarcastic comments.

Reactions: mathboy
I thought 3 of those were good looks too for Swanni. I thought the TO battle was about even until the end. It was a good game either way. TO's look they are going to be a problem for the rest of the season. I just think that the 3 point shooting was the difference. No need for sarcastic comments.
Then say that the TEAM's 3 point shooting was the difference, don't single out 2 guys that are good shooters (PJ is 40% on 3s and Mathias is 35%) for missing good looks. FWIW, I think that Swanigan's defense was the difference in the game (Carter hit 4 open 3s), and just as much responsible as the team's poor shooting for the loss tonight.

Reactions: mathboy
I don't think they are dumb, just overly emotional after a loss and uninformed. At least the non-troll fans.
Uninformed...check the data...2 Sweet 16's in how many years. Maybe the model isn't working. Step outside of Indiana and you'll see how uninformed you are.

Oh I see why you got pissed. You thought I was blaming all of the loss on PJ and Mathias. No no no. I was just using them to illustrate that we got good looks just couldn't hit them. Edwards also missed 2 good looks. Boiled down to a game of make or miss. Carter made 4-6 and our guys couldn't match.

Uninformed...check the data...2 Sweet 16's in how many years. Maybe the model isn't working. Step outside of Indiana and you'll see how uninformed you are.
With our AD, Pres, and BoT, if we got rid of Painter, the school would just hire someone worse. I have no faith in them what so ever.

27-5 free throw discrepency. I usually don't like to claim getting 'homered' but the ref staring Painter down at the end and acting like a jackass shows there was something a miss.

Officiating was fair. They got most of their shots at the end when we were trying to extend the game. You can't expect us to shoot many FT's when we jack up 25 3's. Terrible Offensive strategy yet again.

Reactions: NashvilleBoiler
OK every loss is the coaches fault........got it

Actually, yes, you understand! Nice job! When you recruit the players, set the strategy and develop them, it's all on you. Painter is the recruiter, talent evaluator, implements strategy, and is responsible for the guys he brought in executing that strategy. It's all on the HC, and our's can't win the big game.

Reactions: NashvilleBoiler
Actually, yes, you understand! Nice job! When you recruit the players, set the strategy and develop them, it's all on you. Painter is the recruiter, talent evaluator, implements strategy, and is responsible for the guys he brought in executing that strategy. It's all on the HC, and our's can't win the big game.

LOL, yeah, because certainly the players never screw up themselves.........

Reactions: BBG
LOL, yeah, because certainly the players never screw up themselves.........

And again, who recruited the players? Whose job is it to get them ready? Who instills the game plan and decides who plays and who sits? Whose strategy do they follow? Yes, of course the players have to perform, but there is exactly ONE MAN who has the job of getting those players to perform, and he doesn't do it in big games year after year after year.

I've said it before and I will say it again. 10 years under Painter, 2 sweet 16's and 1 co-B1G championship, making the tourney 7 out of 10 times. I fully expect nothing more over the next 10. Purdue will be ok, never great and mostly not terrible (Except maybe a year or 2). Many on this board are ok with that. I'm not, and quite frankly, I don't get this "well, it could be worse" attitude so let's just settle for mediocrity. But whatever, I know Burke won't do anything about it and the fan base is largely content so why would he. Here's to 10 more years of being in the middle of the pack.

Reactions: heytherehoodoo
And again, who recruited the players? Whose job is it to get them ready? Who instills the game plan and decides who plays and who sits? Whose strategy do they follow? Yes, of course the players have to perform, but there is exactly ONE MAN who has the job of getting those players to perform, and he doesn't do it in big games year after year after year.

I've said it before and I will say it again. 10 years under Painter, 2 sweet 16's and 1 co-B1G championship, making the tourney 7 out of 10 times. I fully expect nothing more over the next 10. Purdue will be ok, never great and mostly not terrible (Except maybe a year or 2). Many on this board are ok with that. I'm not, and quite frankly, I don't get this "well, it could be worse" attitude so let's just settle for mediocrity. But whatever, I know Burke won't do anything about it and the fan base is largely content so why would he. Here's to 10 more years of being in the middle of the pack.

Exactly!! You understand!!! BTW, did you think PU was going to win today?

Exactly!! You understand!!! BTW, did you think PU was going to win today?
So it's been the players fault for 10 years. Ok. Then we really need to get some of those players that can actually perform. The kind like on every other good team.

So it's been the players fault for 10 years. Ok. Then we really need to get some of those players that can actually perform. The kind like on every other good team.

Yep, that's exactly what I said. Did you think PU was going to win today?

I totally disagree that Painter didn't do his job today. Boilers executed well on both ends. Carter hit big shots on perimeter and Boilers struggled from 3, but overall it was a good performance. My only coaching gripe would be that they seemed to be forcing the ball to Hammons late. Still need to find someone willing/capable of taking the ball to the rim with the game on the line.

So obviously you weren't shocked that PU lost to #4 at their place. I'm sure few were. Do you feel that every game a team loses is because of being outcoached?

Dude...great...you have an opinion. Unfortunately it's just not shared by anyone other than you honks. Nor is it backed by real numbers. Good coaches win big games. That's why people call them good.

Dude...great...you have an opinion. Unfortunately it's just not shared by anyone other than you honks. Nor is it backed by real numbers. Good coaches win big games. That's why people call them good.

Dude....... a lot of you guys come on here and piss and moan after every loss, even a loss you saw coming, I suppose because it gets you off in some way, IDK. Great, that's your opinion too. Maybe root for another team, other than that I don't know what to tell you.
BTW, can a good coach lose a big game or vice versa?

Reactions: cgnops
Dude....... a lot of you guys come on here and piss and moan after every loss, even a loss you saw coming, I suppose because it gets you off in some way, IDK. Great, that's your opinion too. Maybe root for another team, other than that I don't know what to tell you.
BTW, can a good coach lose a big game or vice versa?
Just not every big game...right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT