ADVERTISEMENT

After this week, I'll be an official tree hugging Republican

BSIT

All-American
Feb 2, 2011
Poipu, HI
Getting 40 400watt solar panels with 2 Tesla battery backups installed this week that will allow us to be totally energy independent. Thank you liberals for subsidizing this by 40%. Just shows even a Trumper can be pro environment when it makes sense

Good stuff. Were you able to write off labor for the install or just the equipment itself?
My invoice shows both labor and equipment are included in the rebate. The Fed gives a 26% rebate plus the state of almost 10%. I double checked the invoice and it shows a total combined rebate of 35.6%. Estimated payback is 6 - 8 years. Makes sense in Kauai were there is plenty of sun year round and energy is expensive

Reactions: Indy_Rider
My invoice shows both labor and equipment are included in the rebate. The Fed gives a 26% rebate plus the state of almost 10%. I double checked the invoice and it shows a total combined rebate of 35.6%. Estimated payback is 6 - 8 years. Makes sense in Kauai were there is plenty of sun year round and energy is expensive

So what is the life expectancy on the equipment? I keep thinking about this, but don't think the math works out in my favor in Indiana, or at least not enough in my favor to justify.

So what is the life expectancy on the equipment? I keep thinking about this, but don't think the math works out in my favor in Indiana, or at least not enough in my favor to justify.
The contractor said approximately 20 years. If I still lived in the Midwest, I’d have second thoughts. In Michigan we had a backup generator hooked to a natural gas line for backup during power outages. In Hawaii there’s no natural gas lines. You have propane which is expensive along with electricity which also expensive on island. The good news is Kauai has invested a lot in solar and renewables that have reduced the electric bills. However there’s still a fair amount of power outages. It’s gotten better but still a problem. In addition to cost savings, having a reliable power source that is independent is a big reason why we went to solar. We wouldn’t want to be without power for a prolonged period due to power outages caused by tropical storms

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Get dat paper

• Haha
Reactions: BSIT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT