ADVERTISEMENT

Abby Ellis Cal Poly

She's the transfer guard coming in, averaged over 15 a game in the Big West conference as a Frosh. Looks to be a good pick up!
Those were Frosh numbers, a little uptick last year to near 16 a game, smaller conference, she's from Australia, hopefully a good pick-up! She had a 37 point game as a Frosh against Cal Riverside, her shooting last season regressed a bit.

Last edited:
At least she'll learn how to commit turnovers before Katie takes total control of the team in 20 or so months.
Noticed you didn't respond to my offer for you to back up your mouth about the 5 wins. I'm not surprised. Just on here to spout off apparently. At least it's clear you're not to be taken seriously.

Reactions: Russ Ford
She replaces Kayana Traylor and Karissa McLaughlin both All-Big Ten players from a 7-15 team. She'll have to play and play a lot as an incoming transfer...she'll more than likely start in Sharon's 4 guard and 1 post player line up. Lord help us!
Karissa didn't play last year, time to get over her leaving, she had a nice career hope she does well at Marquette. I stand by my Traylor will be the only player missed comment, trust me, two 25 year old women weren't leading next years team to the promised land, let the youngsters play.

Interesting that Katie Gearlds is the one to officially welcomed her rather than Versyp. Has recruiting been turned entirely over to her?
My guess is yes...let's be honest Sharon is playing or I guess Coaching out the string. Team at best will be middle of the road Big Ten, Katie has all year to focus on 22-23 recruits. This recruit will be a Jr, she'll have 3 years if she wants them.

Reactions: Purdue80
Correction - Karissa DID play last year when she was not expected to. She became the Purdue all-time leader in 3 pt baskets with 241 in early January. Unfortunately after 7 games her ankle would not allow her to continue (reportedly). Her transfer is a significant loss for the team. But I wish her well.

Correction - Karissa DID play last year when she was not expected to. She became the Purdue all-time leader in 3 pt baskets with 241 in early January. Unfortunately after 7 games her ankle would not allow her to continue (reportedly).

Reactions: DocRon
My guess is yes...let's be honest Sharon is playing or I guess Coaching out the string. Team at best will be middle of the road Big Ten, Katie has all year to focus on 22-23 recruits. This recruit will be a Jr, she'll have 3 years if she wants them.
I think Ellis will only have two years. My understanding is that an athlete is only eligible for the "COVID" year if they stay at the same institution or if they have graduated.

Reactions: purduedavie
Interesting that Katie Gearlds is the one to officially welcomed her rather than Versyp. Has recruiting been turned entirely over to her?

I would imagine so.

Was listening to the Painter interview that GBI posted the other day. One of the people asked Coach Painter if he had talked to Coach Gearlds and could offer her any advice coming in as part of a transition like she is and he did. I think he said he had talked to her and his advice was something like "go out and sign yourself a bunch of great players".

Thinking back to that year for Coach Painter is when he laid the groundwork for the Hummel/Moore/Johnson class which really turned the program around. Hopefully Coach Gearlds can do something similar. That said, when CMP put that class together he quite possibly benefitted from IU being wrapped up in the Sampson mess. Coach Gearlds will not have such a luxury with IU's program trending up and sitting on the doorstep of the Final Four this season and also Notre Dame still very much a player nationally and certainly for elite talent within the state.

Last edited:
Karissa didn't play last year, time to get over her leaving, she had a nice career hope she does well at Marquette. I stand by my Traylor will be the only player missed comment, trust me, two 25 year old women weren't leading next years team to the promised land, let the youngsters play.
Karissa played this last season...Even if you want to lie, she would have started this upcoming season and played 35+ minutes alongside Kayana... Why do you have to lie?

I would imagine so.

Was listening to the Painter interview that GBI posted the other day. One of the people asked Coach Painter if he had talked to Coach Gearlds and could offer her any advice coming in as part of a transition like she is and he did. I think he said he had talked to her and his advise was something like "go out and sign yourself a bunch of great players".

Thinking back to that year for Coach Painter is when he laid the groundwork for the Hummel/Moore/Johnson class which really turned the program around. Hopefully Coach Gearlds can do something similar. That said, when CMP put that class together he quite possibly benefitted from IU being wrapped up in the Sampson mess. Coach Gearlds will not have such a luxury with IU's program trending up and sitting on the doorstep of the Final Four this season and also Notre Dame still very much a player nationally and certainly for elite talent within the state.
I agree with you on that... The Hummel, Johnson, Moore class for CMP was iconic... their banners are hanging in Mackey Arena. Arguably the best recruiting class in Purdue basketball history... Katie needs a similar class to start her tenure... hopefully she doesn't have to recruit players from Canada that will never see the floor. The pressure is on and she knows it. Would be nice to see her land a top 5 class nationally. BoilerUp

Reactions: Purdue80
Karissa played this last season...Even if you want to lie, she would have started this upcoming season and played 35+ minutes alongside Kayana... Why do you have to lie?
Karissa played 7 games, she could hardly move, she left it is what it is. Put your money where your mouth is Mr 5 wins! You've been saying Purdue lost 4 starters, technically they lost 3 since Mac played 7 games and came off the bench in most, why do you lie?

Reactions: TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT