ADVERTISEMENT

Abandoning the run

Why? He has never really been an offensive coordinator. JB calls the plays. He needs to prove himself somewhere away from JB first...
If we have 5 million to offer a top notch up and comer type. I’d roll the dice. I’d be into a QB guru of some sort. I think the head coach has to bring an offensive advantage in scheme/recruiting.

Reactions: purduepat1969
why isnt anyone blaming the defense? all we had to do was stop them on that last drive. poor tackling hurt us much more than not running the ball. the long drive just before the half was also an example of how the defense broke down.

Reactions: Boiler8285
why isnt anyone blaming the defense? all we had to do was stop them on that last drive. poor tackling hurt us much more than not running the ball. the long drive just before the half was also an example of how the defense broke down.
usual excuse, they were gassed even though they liberally play alot of players

Well …the D did stop them twice late - once at about 6:30 to play and again with about 4:30 to play. Since the offense did nada each time late, the D had to stop them a third time. I don't fault them for that…

Well …the D did stop them twice late - once at about 6:30 to play and again with about 4:30 to play. Since the offense did nada each time late, the D had to stop them a third time. I don't fault them for that…
Good points.

On the last 4 PSU possessions, I believe our D generated:
-a Pick 6 (puke-six)
-4 n out
-3 n out
-gave up a TD.

I'd say the D did their part in the 4th quarter, certainly enough for Purdue to win.

After reconsidering my thoughts on abandoning the run, I've come up with a few additional:
1) yes, we should have tried more running plays late in the 4th,
2) but, if PSU was stacking the box to stop the run, that means Brohm was going to take what the D gives him, which is 1 on 1 D on the WR.
3) Franklin was betting on the strength of his D (DBs) to beat our WRs in man coverage while also generating a pass rush so AOC doesn't have all day.
4) It was PSUs strength vs PUs question marks (WRs and OL).

However, all that being said, I think you still need to find ways to keep the clock running other than running the ball or challenging NFL caliber DBs.

After reconsidering my thoughts on abandoning the run, I've come up with a few additional:
2) but, if PSU was stacking the box to stop the run, that means Brohm was going to take what the D gives him, which is 1 on 1 D on the WR.
3) Franklin was betting on the strength of his D (DBs) to beat our WRs in man coverage while also generating a pass rush so AOC doesn't have all day.

However, all that being said, I think you still need to find ways to keep the clock running other than running the ball or challenging NFL caliber D

However, all that being said, I think you still need to find ways to keep the clock running other than running the ball or challenging NFL caliber DBs.
Lets throw at Joey Porter some more

I did not see us run many rub plays to take advantage of their tight (like holding tight) coverage. We seemed to just rely on individual routes. I wished we would have had a little more rub action off of motion.

Dienhart has a post today about Mbow being successfully used as a blocker in running plays earlier in the game. However, this was not used in crunch time when we needed to gain yardage and use time. This strikes me as an error made by the play-calling staff.

Reactions: NVboiler
Dienhart has a post today about Mbow being successfully used as a blocker in running plays earlier in the game. However, this was not used in crunch time when we needed to gain yardage and use time. This strikes me as an error made by the play-calling staff.
When you bring in that jumbo package, it's essentially "Hey, we're running the ball, see if you can stop us". I think Brohm feared PSU would stop it. Even so, you gotta find a way to keep the clock moving; running, jet sweeps, screens, shovel pass, anything. Attacking NFL caliber corners isn't a high % play and played right into PSUs hands of stopping the clock without having to use TOs.

Reactions: PurdueDave
D gave up 35pts. Although we certainly had a shot to wrap it up in our 2nd to last possession, 35pts is a lot of pts...unlikely were going to win much giving up that many.

When you bring in that jumbo package, it's essentially "Hey, we're running the ball, see if you can stop us". I think Brohm feared PSU would stop it. Even so, you gotta find a way to keep the clock moving; running, jet sweeps, screens, shovel pass, anything. Attacking NFL caliber corners isn't a high % play and played right into PSUs hands of stopping the clock without having to use TOs.
With 4 minutes left, even if we didn't get a first down, 2 runs use up at least 90 seconds of the clock. And it would have at least forced PSU to use one or more timeouts. It was bad decision making on Brohm's part.

I still think the underthrow of Sheffield where he was open deep could have been a turning point, several other plays stand out where if it went our way, we win the game. That is what has been so aggravating about this loss, we really had it in the bag.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT