ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of Chicken Littles on this board will be eating crow in the years to come.

Yeah, this season has a big fat asterisk next to it... for everyone. I would not hire or fire a coach based on a short, coronavirus affected season (even if we have skated by relatively unscathed by it). If next season goes this poorly, I will definitely be more agitated.

Yeah, this season has a big fat asterisk next to it... for everyone. I would not hire or fire a coach based on a short, coronavirus affected season (even if we have skated by relatively unscathed by it). If next season goes this poorly, I will definitely be more agitated.
I think this is a fair statement. Now I think there has to be some changes to the assistants to one degree or another... but Brohm has one more year before I start wanting him out. Plus with his buyout, it isn't happening anyway.

Brohm is the guy to get it done. This season is a fluke. Brohm is able to bring in guys like Rondale and Bell when other coaches couldn't. He will get it done.
I think Brohm will get something done. Unfortunately, it won't be next season or the one after that, based on what I just witnessed on the field this past weekend.

This is now the second year in a row this team has been in disarray. Granted, last year there were injuries. This year, I won't even talk about the defense and special teams. They're beyond help at this point. What I will talk about is the offense. It's not that great. And there's really no reason for it. The weapons are there. I don't see the recruiting of weapons like this in 2021's class. So how's it going to get better? Maybe 2022? And I wouldn't be shocked if we see talent starting to transfer out after this mess of a season.

Chicken Little? No. Realistic? Yes.

Reactions: DAG10
Brohm is the guy to get it done. This season is a fluke. Brohm is able to bring in guys like Rondale and Bell when other coaches couldn't. He will get it done.
While I don't disagree that Brohm is the guy to try to get it done at least, there is nothing about what is/has been happening that is a fluke in any way...hiring lousy assistants is not a fluke...having guys quit on you and your program is not a fluke...not identifying and addressing positions of need (namely OL) proactively rather than reactively is not a fluke...lousy play calling is not a fluke. What happened in '17 and '18 may have been a fluke...Sindelar and Moore being injured (and subsequently others) last year was a fluke...what is happening this year is not a fluke, it is just a bad job across the board by Brohm and his staff.

It happens...it happened at times last year...it even happened at times in '17 and '18...the difference is that this year it has happened with regularity, and, little (if anything) has been done to fix it or overcome it.

He was able to sell guys like Rondale and Bell on something that he is going to have a more difficult time selling guys on (and, there were unique circumstances in the case of Rondale that he was able to capitalize on/take advantage of)...he is already having a more difficult time doing so when you look at recruiting this year...the beatdown by Auburn had an impact on recruiting, but the results on the field last year and now this year especially (in conjunction with the same for IU) is having an impact and will impact it more...I am skeptical that he can still bring in guys of that caliber, more so if there is concern about his job security...and it is the need to bring in those kinds of guys for Purdue to have the success that it ultimately hopes to that is imperative.

look the book is the book. If brohm comes out here and stinks it up next year, which will happen if he retains diaco or biagi I’ll be ready to think about moving on.

but I still am not ready to think that way and I am with you.

brohm didn’t bring an offense that would change the big ten in like tiller and he might not be Jack Mollenkopf, but who else have we had since my mother was in grade school?

it isn’t as easy as “have a good first year or two, get recruits, become Wisconsin” at Purdue. Eventually we will have to go through growing pains with someone who looks like the right guy but may not be. I still think he is though.

the people who want him gone could end up with two worse scenarios than brohm working it out..

1) bob davie.. remember him? He was the top guy when he was hired. Darrell hazell was a bob davie but worse.

2) a guy who comes in here and crushes it his first year because he’s an awesome coach!!! Woo!! Isn’t it great...

And then precedes to tell his agent to get him out when the first glamour destination comes knocking.

I don’t want to be a farm system for elite programs to find their new guy.

I am way more inclined to put an asterisk by last season than I am this season...this season seems to me to have exposed coaches that have issues and identified those that are truly in a good place with their program(s).

The true great coaches (and their programs) have continued to have success...the coaches that were/are thought to be doing great things where they are and having a chance as such to move on have generally continued to have success...and, some programs that are never in the national spotlight are now, largely for the same reason...good coaches that truly have a solid program. The big name programs that are struggling or failing are guys that many have questioned before...not hard to identify them within the conference, or, nationally.

Thus, while I will concede that things are different...I don't know that it should lead to an asterisk...personally, I think the adversity has shown who the better/best coaches really are and who legitimately have their programs on solid ground.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I am way more inclined to put an asterisk by last season than I am this season...this season seems to me to have exposed coaches that have issues and identified those that are truly in a good place with their program(s).

The true great coaches (and their programs) have continued to have success...the coaches that were/are thought to be doing great things where they are and having a chance as such to move on have generally continued to have success...and, some programs that are never in the national spotlight are now, largely for the same reason...good coaches that truly have a solid program. The big name programs that are struggling or failing are guys that many have questioned before...not hard to identify them within the conference, or, nationally.

Thus, while I will concede that things are different...I don't know that it should lead to an asterisk...personally, I think the adversity has shown who the better/best coaches really are and who legitimately have their programs on solid ground.

I agree completely. If there's anything I've seen this year, it's that Brohm has not handled adversity very well, at all. You can see it in his press conferences. You can see it in his play calling. You can see it in the preparation and motivation of his players. There's no fire. He stands on the sideline looking like an emotionless person who doesn't care what happens on the field. Again, not sure what's happened to him. But it's not good.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
I agree completely. If there's anything I've seen this year, it's that Brohm has not handled adversity very well, at all. You can see it in his press conferences. You can see it in his play calling. You can see it in the preparation and motivation of his players. There's no fire. He stands on the sideline looking like an emotionless person who doesn't care what happens on the field. Again, not sure what's happened to him. But it's not good.
I'm still in on Brohm, remember a couple years ago alot of nd fans wanted Kelley gone.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
I tend to agree. I am throwing this season out. This was always a huge project and it wasn’t completed in years 1 and 2 like it might have seemed at times.
I`m throwing this season out as well but as I look at that 2018 recruiting class two things jump out at me...
1. So many of the DL and LB recruits in that class did not or have not panned out. Since 2018, Purdue has come up short on some plug and play defensive players that only compounded the 2018 recruiting class. Brohom has mentioned more than a few times that he has been disappointed in how unspecified players have failed to develop to make it to the field.
2. The bang and hype that we got from Rondale did not add up to progressively better recruiting classes to date.
Definition of better recruiting classes, securing successful players for those positions of need!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT