ADVERTISEMENT

A HARD LOOK AT THE COMING FB SEASON

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Having now read the Football Guide cover to cover, it is not enough to say this is a critical season for Purdue. Another disaster would probably mean the loss of another coach with the prospects of bringing in an experienced veteran leader very slim. That is just reality and we need as much of that as we can get.
Therefore, a look at what we REALISTICALLY HAVE this year.
This is not a prediction, just a view of the situation. No one can ever know for sure what a team will do, but we can all certainly look as best we can at what there is:
OFFENSE:
QB--Still no clear cut starter, but at least some experience. In college ball, there is no more critical position.
RB--Lots of great talk and promise. No real experience.
WRs--There is depth and some experience and even one possible star, but a lot of unknown still.
OL--The most promising part of the O for sure. Lots of depth and experience. If Purdue does well this year, we will point at the OL as a big factor.
TE--Neither depth nor experience. This is an area that is an injury or two away from disaster, so much so that it is being devalued in our offense
PK--We have one of the best.
OVERALL: As they say in craps, a lot of if come. We cannot have major injuries and the new modulated speed offensive scheme has to really work. (Sometimes I get the feeling that Shoop is just adjusting and adjusting hoping that something pops for him?) This is just flat out unknown. My guess is that there will be a lot of struggles for the offense.
DEFENSE
DE--Almost like TE, injuries could annihilate this for us and there is little experience or depth there. This is the major area of concern for our D.
DT--Depth and experience. Will they perform?
LB--Depth and experience. Will they perform?
CB--Experience, little depth.
S--Neither depth nor experience.
P--We have one of the best.
OVERALL: The D looks to be in much better shape than the O and has to perform well for us to have any chance. I think it will be better than the last two years unless the O hangs it out to dry.
SCHEDULE: Was hoping that we would get a break, but we don't. This is a tough schedule. Marshall on the road and VT and BG at home early on will all be stiff challenges. We MUST win two of these. The middle of the schedule is very tough, but since we almost beat Minny on the road last year, the home game with them is a possible win. The last four games are all winnable if this team is playing well. If we have three or four wins going into them, the motivation of a bowl might make the difference. It seemed to for Illinois last year.
COACHING: Hazell has to know that he will not survive another disaster. He has now had time to have SOME experience and depth. Put up or shut up time.
FINAL THOUGHTS: Unfortunately, if I were to bet on this team, given the above, I would project 4-5 wins at best and it could be worse. I am a fan and hopeful for the best but it is impossible now to have confidence in this team and program despite the many positive statements about attitude and hard work dotting the Football guide. What else could they write about? But, too little experience and/or depth in too many key areas, in my opinion. .

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News