ADVERTISEMENT

A Gripe

BoilerAndy

All-American
Aug 31, 2010
News has to be really slow and I have to be really bored to venture over to Hammer and Rails, which I just did. My biggest gripe is their lack of professionalism. I understand the site is run by a Purdue fan with no professional training, but they have been doing this long enough and there are too many times when they show a complete lack of judgement. My latest reason to stay away? An article with the obvious click-bait title:

REPORT: Sharon Versyp Being Investigated For Creating “toxic and hostile” Environment​

First of all, it isn't a "report". The writer regurgitated select parts of a Journal & Courier story and inserted his own assumptions and opinion. There was no independant research or reaching out to sources. A local newspaper story was the writer's only source. I read the same J&C story and came away with a completely different impression. My first impression was that the J&C only presented a player's side of the story. That's fair, since that was the only information available. But the J&C did not draw the conclusions that H&R drew.

The H&R writer stated, "This is all around a bad look for the program, athletic department, and school."

IMO, H&R is a bad look for Purdue.

News has to be really slow and I have to be really bored to venture over to Hammer and Rails, which I just did. My biggest gripe is their lack of professionalism. I understand the site is run by a Purdue fan with no professional training, but they have been doing this long enough and there are too many times when they show a complete lack of judgement. My latest reason to stay away? An article with the obvious click-bait title:

REPORT: Sharon Versyp Being Investigated For Creating “toxic and hostile” Environment​

First of all, it isn't a "report". The writer regurgitated select parts of a Journal & Courier story and inserted his own assumptions and opinion. There was no independant research or reaching out to sources. A local newspaper story was the writer's only source. I read the same J&C story and came away with a completely different impression. My first impression was that the J&C only presented a player's side of the story. That's fair, since that was the only information available. But the J&C did not draw the conclusions that H&R drew.

The H&R writer stated, "This is all around a bad look for the program, athletic department, and school."

You got the wrong board.

:O

Reactions: pboiler18
Yeah, I didn't think it was that bad and the optics are not good for Purdue. They credited Carmin and even linked to the story and the full report. Seems you are just looking for something to complain about.

As for Versyp. From what I read, I didn't see anything other than players are so freaking soft anymore. Kind of like some posters here.

I don't think anyone would really argue they've been after a "professional" look.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I never go to H&R. You are right. They are an embarrassment. Just some little fanboys playing journalists. I'll never forget the spectacle Travis Miller made after an NCAA tournament loss one year. I think it was Hummel's last season. Vowed never to support their garbage since then and haven't.

I know H&R is more of a fan writer, but at least there is some news that comes thru them. Overall, opinion is that a player or players alleged the harassment. My first question was, "Are the players still on the team or did they hit the transfer portal?" In today's society, some players are more soft due to all the media control of harassment topics (similar to Me Too movement). Second question, "Are the starters complaining or only bench players?" It is more likely that a former high school star now unhappy bench player created the drama and wanted to get one last dig in on the coach while departing the University.
A real reporter would dig for those type of answers and present that in a non-biased publication of their interview. I didn't search for Carmin's interview nor will I.

There are two sides to every story and to only put one side in public view to is equally bad. Just my opinion.
Not going to overly defend Versyp either. Her career was declining fast, but to jab her without her side of the story is not good either. Will be interesting to hear the other side of the story.

At least Hammer & Rails attempts to cover women's athletics. That is more than I can say for Gold & Black. And it's free....
Yeah, I understand that. I would like to see more news about WBB and volleyball, especially recruiting. From what little I have seen, there isn't a lot of coverage even at H&R. The most recent example is lopsided and negative, and part of my gripe is that it isn't even real coverage.

I never go to H&R. You are right. They are an embarrassment. Just some little fanboys playing journalists. I'll never forget the spectacle Travis Miller made after an NCAA tournament loss one year. I think it was Hummel's last season. Vowed never to support their garbage since then and haven't.
I remember an emotional hatchet piece he did on Painter and the basketball program for "forcing out" Nemanja Calasan. He didn't interview Calasan, Painter, or anyone associated with the program. Yet he built this wild story about how Painter must have forced him out of the program. As we have seen, when some people read something on the internet, they think it's true. Especially when the title begins with "REPORT".

Reactions: TC4THREE
Yeah, I understand that. I would like to see more news about WBB and volleyball, especially recruiting. From what little I have seen, there isn't a lot of coverage even at H&R. The most recent example is lopsided and negative, and part of my gripe is that it isn't even real coverage.

H&R did have, not sure if they still do, a writer that covered WVB and their recruiting. It wasn't a ton of coverage, maybe 6-8 articles per year. I don't really like their takes on football/basketball but I appreciate any coverage for one of Purdue's best athletic programs (especially when the coverage wasn't overly emotional fanboi stuff).

Reactions: z_one
I remember an emotional hatchet piece he did on Painter and the basketball program for "forcing out" Nemanja Calasan. He didn't interview Calasan, Painter, or anyone associated with the program. Yet he built this wild story about how Painter must have forced him out of the program. As we have seen, when some people read something on the internet, they think it's true. Especially when the title begins with "REPORT".
Calasan graduated didn’t he? I don’t think he left early

Most shocking part to me was Versyp being all time winningest WBB coach at Purdue
:eek:

This is a coach that took over a 26 win team and eclipsed that mark only once in 14 years.

I mean she’s been there for quite a while
Kind of a paradox, isn't it?
Just good enough to not get fired. Not nearly good enough to leave for anything better.
With the struggles of football and attention on MBB, the WBB 'problem' has sort of flown under the radar. And at the end of the day it doesn't move the revenue needle much.
Still, I'm not totally convinced that she didn't have something on someone up the chain.

Before I found this board, I was over there a lot. Never posted, just read a lot of their stuff. I always took it as want to be Journalist over playing their hand. Some was not bad. I did not leave over there for any particular reason, just don't go over there at all anymore. I prefer it here, most days.

H&R is a free blog written by fans in their free time. I mean what are you really expecting?
All in all, I'd say it's pretty good, & we're lucky to have it, FREE.

:) (like tv/radio, if one doesn't like it, just change the channel/don't click on it) No harm done.

Sometimes you get what you pay for,

... & sometimes you get something/H&R for nothing (free). If it's associated with this website & Purdue U., the (Purdue) powers that be must like it. A wise choice, all in all.

Most shocking part to me was Versyp being all time winningest WBB coach at Purdue
:eek:

This is a coach that took over a 26 win team and eclipsed that mark only once in 14 years.
I get that it's popular to try to slam Coach Versyp but winning 27 games in a season isn't exactly something that most programs do very often. Yeah, the top 5 or so programs in the country do so regularly but 25+ wins is a pretty good season at most places. I would not even complain about a 23 or 24 win season most likely.

I get that it's popular to try to slam Coach Versyp but winning 27 games in a season isn't exactly something that most programs do very often. Yeah, the top 5 or so programs in the country do so regularly but 25+ wins is a pretty good season at most places. I would not even complain about a 23 or 24 win season most likely.
She hasn't won 25 games or been ranked in 8 years. Took over a proud, top 10 program. If this was a revenue sport she wouldn't have made it to year 5, much less 15.

Yeah, I didn't think it was that bad and the optics are not good for Purdue. They credited Carmin and even linked to the story and the full report. Seems you are just looking for something to complain about.

As for Versyp. From what I read, I didn't see anything other than players are so freaking soft anymore. Kind of like some posters here.

1/2 the team leaves when it's announced their coach is coming back.
Some might recommend you get your eyes checked.

Reactions: West James
Nearly every news organization or outlet puts their spin on news. H&R, gold&black, Lafayette J&C, YAHOO, Facebook, ESPN, SI, Twitter, whoever. Even rival fans and Purdue fans on this site seem delusional at times.

For what it’s worth, one of my favorite spots for Purdue news lately, among others. has been SI Purdue. I even enjoy the Exponent and PurdueSports for their viewpoints. Exponent blasts Purdue in a lot of articles.

I’m more interested in why Brohm thinks it’s such a competitive advantage to not publish depth charts, avoid talking about injuries or injury timelines, name a QB1 earlier in camp, send coaches to the booth when they’d rather be on the sidelines, etc.

She hasn't won 25 games or been ranked in 8 years. Took over a proud, top 10 program. If this was a revenue sport she wouldn't have made it to year 5, much less 15.
Don't argue, but that wasn't the stated complaint.

H & R is a chop shop rag along with T-Mill...who in my mind is a Miami and IU fan more than a Purdue fan.

If you read their trash, just take it for what it is and go find the truth elsewhere.

Again not all Purdue fans are the same, I found that out years ago.

Just support Purdue positive and you are ok in my book, but once you start to talk negative or whine about Purdue you lose me as I turn a deaf ear to bullshit and whining......

Cheers and go Purdue!

H & R is a chop shop rag along with T-Mill...who in my mind is a Miami and IU fan more than a Purdue fan.

If you read their trash, just take it for what it is and go find the truth elsewhere.

Again not all Purdue fans are the same, I found that out years ago.

Just support Purdue positive and you are ok in my book, but once you start to talk negative or whine about Purdue you lose me as I turn a deaf ear to bullshit and whining......

Cheers and go Purdue!

So you've got most everyone on ignore then. I prefer to call a spade a spade, not everything is always rosy and positive, sometimes negativity is justified and I have no issue with that. I'm fine with most opinions if you can make a reasonable attempt at backing it up.

As for H&R, look at the amount of content they have put out over the years. Over that length of time, yeah, they are going to be some turds, especially when it's just amatuer fans writing, but at least they are trying to put out stuff for other fans. There are plenty of blog hosting fan site platforms out there, if you want to bitch about what they are doing, lets see you start your own and see how you do. Also remember their hosting site does have a requirement that you publish a minimum number of articles a week, so in the interest of fairness, you should abide by the same requirements. I bet most would fall way short of making it even one year.

Reactions: West James
So you've got most everyone on ignore then. I prefer to call a spade a spade, not everything is always rosy and positive, sometimes negativity is justified and I have no issue with that. I'm fine with most opinions if you can make a reasonable attempt at backing it up.

As for H&R, look at the amount of content they have put out over the years. Over that length of time, yeah, they are going to be some turds, especially when it's just amatuer fans writing, but at least they are trying to put out stuff for other fans. There are plenty of blog hosting fan site platforms out there, if you want to bitch about what they are doing, lets see you start your own and see how you do. Also remember their hosting site does have a requirement that you publish a minimum number of articles a week, so in the interest of fairness, you should abide by the same requirements. I bet most would fall way short of making it even one year.

Overall, you make some points.

With respect, I think you took to the extreme and missed (avoided?) the essence.

52Chevy: "I turn a deaf ear to bullshit and whining....."

There's a lot of that on this forum. I didn't interpret 52's comments as you chose to.

The "volume" of content H&R pushes out is irrelevant.

Also, "at least they are trying" doesn't cut it. You don't seem to offer that same grace for "Purdue", so I'm not following why H&R gets a pass. The fact this isn't their chosen "career" doesn't make them immune from criticism. Especially as you really look at the way they conduct themselves, not just in the articles, but other places like social media. They can really beclown themselves at times.

There's no excusing that.

I'd rather hear or pay to hear an astutely, fact based criticism of my team, than the rah, rah, cheerleader, sheep dip some publications, announcers & media types lather you up with. If the team is bad, say it & state the relevant facts pertaining to it. I hold the same approach with the tv & radio announcers who call & report on my sports teams, or any teams.

'Better to hear the truth, than the hot buttered applesauce of lies, misinformation & half truths some media types/homers cover you with' Give it to me straight, or don't give it to me at all. That's what I liked most about Cliz, he always gave it to us straight, as he saw it.

Last edited:
Sometimes you get what you pay for,

... & sometimes you get something/H&R for nothing (free). If it's associated with this website & Purdue U., the (Purdue) powers that be must like it. A wise choice, all in all.
H&R and G&B aren't associated with Purdue any more than are the Lafayette J&C and the IUStar. Purdue has no control over what they publish.

H&R and G&B aren't associated with Purdue any more than are the Lafayette J&C and the IUStar. Purdue has no control over what they publish.
So there are no direct ties to Purdue University, from this website. Thanks for telling me. Years ago I was a subscriber to G & B Illustrated. I found their publication very informative, filled with great stats, pictures & overall very well written & organized, & well worth the money. I saved every issue I bought, until my house caught fire & they burned up in the fire, huge loss. I always thought G & B Illustrated was controlled & published as a part/product of Purdue University. It was so well/professionally put together, I just assumed it was a product of Purdue University. Thanks for setting me straight.

Much appreciated

Valiant Thor

I mean she’s been there for quite a while
I think recruiting, or lack there of, may have been her greatest detriment/problem? Wonder if Courtney Moses will ever come back to Purdue? Is she now associated with coaching in any way? She seems like she would make a great coach.

We have Katie Gearlds now…
That we do, & Katie will make a great coach for us. Wonder if Courtney Moses will ever get into coaching, or possibly come back to Purdue in some capacity? Her drive & determination remind me of Brian Cardinal.

Anyone know what Courtney Moses is doing now? I have a feeling she will get into coaching some day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT