ADVERTISEMENT

A Few Thoughts from the Game

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
1. Painter starting Gillis instead of Furst was probably the right move. Gillis played a great game and gave the team a ton of needed energy. Guessing they stick to this moving forward.

2. I have noticed that Edey has been much more quick and decisive getting the ball and making his move, but this also seems to be coinciding with a lower FG%. I don’t know the numbers, just basing off of what I’m seeing. When teams are beating him up it makes sense to go quicker but we are paying for it I think.

3. OSU started the game VERY physical and it felt like it might be another NW or Maryland game, but fans gave the refs TONS of crap about it. The calls changed very early, and though they weren’t perfect they were much better.

4. Kramer and Dakota were there, came out after to sign autographs. Edey and Julia also stayed for like 45 minutes talking to people and signing autographs. Love them.

Last edited:
5. Walked out and crossed the street at the same time as TKR and (I think) his family. Some crazy driver almost hit them and laud on the horn. All I have to say is if that was a Purdue student and he hit TKR and/or his mom God help him.

6. Finally got up close enough to see Edey’s arm tattoo. I had thought maybe it was a bible verse in the shape of a cross but it actually says M4G3R7 which I guess is a Toronto postal code. He also has another on his wrist but a lot smaller and I couldn’t read.

1. Painter starting Gillis instead of Furst was probably the right move. Gillis played a great game and gave the team a ton of needed energy. Guessing they stick to this moving forward.

2. I have noticed that Edey has been much more quick and decisive getting the ball and making his move, but this also seems to be coinciding with a lower FG%. I don’t know the numbers, just basing off of what I’m seeing. When teams are beating him up it makes sense to go quicker but we are paying for it I think.

3. OSU started the game VERY physical and it felt like it might be another NW or Maryland game, but fans gave the refs TONS of crap about it. The calls changed very early, and though they weren’t perfect they were much better.

4. Kramer and Dakota were there, came out after to sign autographs. Edey and Julia also stayed for like 45 minutes talking to people and signing autographs. Love them.
Four really good people right there!!

5. Walked out and crossed the street at the same time as TKR and (I think) his family. Some crazy driver almost hit them and laud on the horn. All I have to say is if that was a Purdue student and he hit TKR and/or his mom God help him.

6. Finally got up close enough to see Edey’s arm tattoo. I had thought maybe it was a bible verse in the shape of a cross but it actually says M4G3R7 which I guess is a Toronto postal code. He also has another on his wrist but a lot smaller and I couldn’t read.
Edey video explains that other tattoo......the journey.

Trevion was there as well

IU is going to test the refs early to see if they are called for hand checking on the perimeter D. Don't expect the refs to call the hand check limiting hte offensive players freedom. Galloway never straight armed the second half at IU. Purdue can't afford to get careless early with the ball and get in a hole. I don't look for IU to shoot as well as they did inBloomington and doubt Zach is quite as dominant as he was. Purdue is going to need to stop those dribble curls starting out on the baseline into floaters or just getting to the rim with their perimeter height dribbling into the rim. Good guys should be ready...just hope the touch in shooting is there because I think the effort will be.

I think on #2, that Edey was short arming several shots because he was anticipating contact. He’s had to play through so much contact, that I imagine he expects it every time now.

I remember the NCAA game when we beat LSU by 24 in 2003. Deane, Booker, and a big 20 from Melvin Buckley (5-6 from 3, what a showing from a freshman). Then Buckley transferred and disappeared, very strange.
That was an awesome game against LSU. Gene's last NCAA Tournament win. It was a so-so first half, something like 32-30. Then Buckley went absolutely ballistic in the second half. Too bad he transferred. Purdue could have really used him in over the next few seasons. Those were really thin rosters.

I think Furst should transfer. I feel like he has too much talent to be utilized so little.

I think Furst should transfer. I feel like he has too much talent to be utilized so little.

It will be interesting to see how he fits in especially after next years class comes in. I like Furst and would love him to stay and succeed. Right now he doesn’t seem to be adding a ton, but he may be playing exactly the role Painter asks him to.

Reactions: Schnelk
IU is going to test the refs early to see if they are called for hand checking on the perimeter D. Don't expect the refs to call the hand check limiting hte offensive players freedom. Galloway never straight armed the second half at IU. Purdue can't afford to get careless early with the ball and get in a hole. I don't look for IU to shoot as well as they did inBloomington and doubt Zach is quite as dominant as he was. Purdue is going to need to stop those dribble curls starting out on the baseline into floaters or just getting to the rim with their perimeter height dribbling into the rim. Good guys should be ready...just hope the touch in shooting is there because I think the effort will be.
In the second half Purdue did a much better job stopping the jumpers coming off those dribble curls. Morton had a nice, quiet game.

Reactions: depthcharge623
Furst is sick for a Couple games after winning a starting spot, and now you armchair coaches are telling us he should transfer? Or that he doesn’t contribute much? What idiocy is this? Are you guys just trolling? I’m sort of waiting for the IU board to start talking about buying him next! Geez!
7-)

In the second half Purdue did a much better job stopping the jumpers coming off those dribble curls. Morton had a nice, quiet game.
It will always be a concern because that is where an advantage lies for IU. I can't remember much about IU specifically other than the curls into the lane and hitting a lot of shots. Purdue naturally "trails" players on off ball screens coming from baseline and any switching or hedging depending on who leaves who is a concern as well. Unless Purdue really forces baseline hard, Purdue is at risk of a lot of action in the lane where IU has a physical advantage.

Depending on how Fletch/Ethan is doing that game, Brandon could see some minutes in defending $hitfino. I worry a bit about Brandon defending Koop because all you need is someone alert on Koop and Brandon has had problems with being alert when not on teh ball.

Last edited:
Furst is sick for a Couple games after winning a starting spot, and now you armchair coaches are telling us he should transfer? Or that he doesn’t contribute much? What idiocy is this? Are you guys just trolling? I’m sort of waiting for the IU board to start talking about buying him next! Geez!
7-)
I don't think that post was a serious post, but a play on the Trey post.

I would prefer he stay, work on his outside shot and left foot drop step move with his back to the basket and finish with a right handed layup!
I would imagine that is somewhat routine for Caleb. Where I would love to see improvement is in a face up game, where with his quickness he can actually drive the ball against the player of similar height and hit an 8' shot if needed. Same with Trey on a face up game. When Zach leaves, that development allows both to play together as well as play alongside a Berg or whoever the big man is.

• Love
Reactions: Schnelk
IU plays a little different than that NW model, also, they have little depth, maybe they test that method, on the road probably not that wise considering they play like 7 guys. Purdue should wax them by 10 I’m thinking.

It will be interesting to see how he fits in especially after next years class comes in. I like Furst and would love him to stay and succeed. Right now he doesn’t seem to be adding a ton, but he may be playing exactly the role Painter asks him to.
Berg might be taking minutes if he can move 3pt making in practice videos to real time, geeezzz how do you cover a 7'2" 3pt shooter 🤔

7-)

Who’s you guys? I saw one person in this thread say something about that. Just ignore, no need to be an @$$.

Reactions: mathboy
Who’s you guys? I saw one person in this thread say something about that. Just ignore, no need to be an @$$.
True that. Some guy named “big10best” laid that turd. I often do not directly quote some posters to keep the level of animosity lower, but I probably should have in this case.

I wonder if he is related to BIG_fan? That clown prances around on the IU board making outlandish statements and arguing with other posters.

Berg might be taking minutes if he can move 3pt making in practice videos to real time, geeezzz how do you cover a 7'2" 3pt shooter 🤔
Think he has been able to shoot for a while. What I'm seeing before games is a bit stronger Berg when dunking and such...but yes, if he is in the main rotation he provides another element. I believe you always want versatile players as much as possible.

IU plays a little different than that NW model, also, they have little depth, maybe they test that method, on the road probably not that wise considering they play like 7 guys. Purdue should wax them by 10 I’m thinking.
I was talking IU and their perimeter height. NW guards are not longer than Purdue. NW guard aren't curling into the lane and scoring over Purdue on floaters and stuff. The length on the perimeter is a concern fore Purdue as that is an advantage for IU. I also hope Matt practices some of Zach and Trey together..."IF" the perimeter is not there. I liked the few minutes of them together in the Maryland game and the post feeds...Puts Trey close enough to Zach that Zach can still work and yet the opposition 4 man can't sag off Trey. It gives two people to be fed on the post...one high and one low and makes it difficult for IU to stop feeding both post feeds with IUs length and allows high post feed to outlets over the entire court if someone sags and high post has the ball. If this results in digs by IU then the three ball is there.

I know Matt favors 4 out, but with Race or similar perimeter threat of similar speed and shot...Trey can defend. Would love for Caleb with his quickness to do this, but not sure how many ways he can score, but perhaps he is better. Anyway, yeah IU is different than NW in how you might be able to defend them and attack as well. Years ago I saw video on Trey an dhe was able to put the ball on the court. I'm not sure if he has too much bulk now and/or how he compares in the effectiveness of another 6'8" or 6'9" player defending a bit away from the goal as well>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT