ADVERTISEMENT

A couple notes ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
• Lamina Cooper's status is uncertain.

The junior-to-be missed two portions of the season, including to end the year, with an undisclosed illness.

Sharon Versyp said Thursday that Purdue will know in the summer whether Cooper, Purdue's best wing defender and a double-figure scorer, will be back.

"Absolutely, we'd welcome her back with open arms," Versyp said. "She just needs to get healthy. If that happens, fantastic."

• Purdue is looking for immediate help, either with fifth-year or transfers.

Versyp said she's looking for a 3/4 position as a fifth-year grad transfer. One option might be Cleveland State's Ashanti Abshaw, a two-time Horizon League first-team member. The 5-9 forward averaged 18.5 points and 4.2 rebounds per game last season. Abshaw has a tie to Purdue's coaching staff, having played for assistant Beth Couture for a season at Cleveland State, where she was associate head coach in 2015-16.

Also, Purdue hosted Florida transfer Mikayla Hayes for a visit. The 6-2 forward, a Minnesota native, signed with the Gators as part of their 2016 recruiting class, which included Karissa McLaughlin. But after Florida's coaching change, McLaughlin was granted her release while Hayes played her freshman year at Florida, averaging two points and about 1.9 rebounds in 10 minutes per game. She would likely have to sit out a season after transfer, although she might try to build an argument for a hardship waiver.

"We're hoping to get two more pieces to the puzzle," Versyp said. "So then our numbers, with two walk-ons, would be 15 or 16."

Reactions: Gary69
• Lamina Cooper's status is uncertain.

The junior-to-be missed two portions of the season, including to end the year, with an undisclosed illness.

Sharon Versyp said Thursday that Purdue will know in the summer whether Cooper, Purdue's best wing defender and a double-figure scorer, will be back.

"Absolutely, we'd welcome her back with open arms," Versyp said. "She just needs to get healthy. If that happens, fantastic."

• Purdue is looking for immediate help, either with fifth-year or transfers.

Versyp said she's looking for a 3/4 position as a fifth-year grad transfer. One option might be Cleveland State's Ashanti Abshaw, a two-time Horizon League first-team member. The 5-9 forward averaged 18.5 points and 4.2 rebounds per game last season. Abshaw has a tie to Purdue's coaching staff, having played for assistant Beth Couture for a season at Cleveland State, where she was associate head coach in 2015-16.

Also, Purdue hosted Florida transfer Mikayla Hayes for a visit. The 6-2 forward, a Minnesota native, signed with the Gators as part of their 2016 recruiting class, which included Karissa McLaughlin. But after Florida's coaching change, McLaughlin was granted her release while Hayes played her freshman year at Florida, averaging two points and about 1.9 rebounds in 10 minutes per game. She would likely have to sit out a season after transfer, although she might try to build an argument for a hardship waiver.

"We're hoping to get two more pieces to the puzzle," Versyp said. "So then our numbers, with two walk-ons, would be 15 or 16."
Thanks, Kyle. I hope that Lamina realizes how much most Boiler fans want what is good for her regardless if she can play or not. We sure did miss her this winter.

Reactions: Mullah
Loss of Cooper would be another blow, comparable to loss of McBride. This just seems to keep happening. Certainly not Versyp's fault. Does need to get more transfer help. Although this board is distinctly anti-coach, it is clear that it is not changing this year. Too early to know who will be on the team and how it will fare next season. So not much to do but see what happens.

Illini, we've been calling for more players to come on board, the Cooper news bears it out, hopefully, the grand transfer along with a transfer happens, team needs numbers.

First, yes this board is fairly hostile toward Coach Versyp. I think many of us had hoped for better team performance. We have had many games where we did not look like a D1 basketball team, and those make me crazy.

That said, I do get tired of the whining here. No matter what we say, Sharon is going to be our coach next year, so let's get behind her for the next season. Continued negative comments at this point are futile and annoying.

Now, during next season, I think she should be evaluated and this discussion should light up.

Second, we must develop and execute a strategy of recruiting more kids that can play at this level. We are so thin that any injury or academic casualty kills us.

First, yes this board is fairly hostile toward Coach Versyp. I think many of us had hoped for better team performance. We have had many games where we did not look like a D1 basketball team, and those make me crazy.

That said, I do get tired of the whining here. No matter what we say, Sharon is going to be our coach next year, so let's get behind her for the next season. Continued negative comments at this point are futile and annoying.

Now, during next season, I think she should be evaluated and this discussion should light up.

Second, we must develop and execute a strategy of recruiting more kids that can play at this level. We are so thin that any injury or academic casualty kills us.
How many more seasons are you comfortable in giving Versyp a pass?

How many more seasons are you comfortable in giving Versyp a pass?
About one more year. I will need to see significant progress this year. I am already on the "replace her" bandwagon, but not as vocal as many.

Frankly, she is not going anywhere this year, so further whining is unproductive. I figure to hunker down and see what happens this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT