ADVERTISEMENT

A.C. for Alumni game on Aug 4 2018

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
Last time I went to Alumni game in Mackey, it was really hot. Anyone know if they have A.C. now in court area?

Wasn't it at Lafayette Jeff the last time because the floor in Mackey was being redone? Pretty sure it will be in Mackey this time. Somehow the hundred million dollar renovation to Mackey Arena did not include an AC system. Not that you need it most of the time, but still.

Yeah the last one was at Lafayette Jeff, but the one before that was at Mackey. I was hoping A.C. might have been put in due to temperature inside that day.

It is unbelievable that Mackey had no AC
It's completely believable. It's only necessary in summer. The players are the only ones who use it in the summer. The players are in world class shape don't need it, only old farts do...and old farts don't occupy the arena in the summer except...for the alumni game. It would be a tremendous waste of money.

Moreover, this is common in many basketball/ arenas/schools/places that are largely unused in the summer.

Last edited:
Lol, it was really hot inside the last alumni game at Mackey. Old farts or not, the heat usually doesn't bother me, but it was miserable that day.

Lol, it was really hot inside the last alumni game at Mackey. Old farts or not, the heat usually doesn't bother me, but it was miserable that day.
I agree. I have a picture of my daughter with Keady and her bangs are soaking wet and stuck to her forehead.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
It's completely believable. It's only necessary in summer. The players are the only ones who use it in the summer. The players are in world class shape don't need it, only old farts do...and old farts don't occupy the arena in the summer except...for the alumni game. It would be a tremendous waste of money.

Moreover, this is common in many basketball/ arenas/schools/places that are largely unused in the summer.

I wouldn't say it's completely believable...in 2018 after a major renovation.

Also, they use it for camps right?

Wasn't it at Lafayette Jeff the last time because the floor in Mackey was being redone? Pretty sure it will be in Mackey this time. Somehow the hundred million dollar renovation to Mackey Arena did not include an AC system. Not that you need it most of the time, but still.
It is unbelievable that Mackey had no AC

Basketball games don't start until November, so uh, it's pretty much a waste of money. Plus the team practices on Cardinal Court which does have AC, making the need for AC in Mackey limited to...well...the Alumni game.

Basketball games don't start until November, so uh, it's pretty much a waste of money. Plus the team practices on Cardinal Court which does have AC, making the need for AC in Mackey limited to...well...the Alumni game.

So really, the alumni game should be played on Cardinal Court instead?

Reactions: Purdue0034
I think this is the fourth Alumni Reunion. The first, the heat was miserable. The second, the weather was nice. The third one was at Jeff where they had A/C. During the first one, a number of people hung out in the hallway by the ticket office where there was some A/C overflow.

Reactions: tjreese
I would think AC in Mackey might make sense in the fact that high humidity is bad for electronic equipment and especially wood materials. Keeping humidity in check would be a good thing, but I guess the higher powers know best. It’s the 21st century, get in it.

Reactions: nagemj02
I wouldn't say it's completely believable...in 2018 after a major renovation.

Also, they use it for camps right?
It better be completely believable because it's reality...and you should try to believe reality.

This is slightly OT but which former players would you like to see participate in the alumni game? Frank Kendrick ('72-'74) played in the last one, so your player of choice could be someone from way back and not just a recent alum.

This is slightly OT but which former players would you like to see participate in the alumni game? Frank Kendrick ('72-'74) played in the last one, so your player of choice could be someone from way back and not just a recent alum.
Are the three amigos in good enough shape to run together for a few minutes? That seems like it would be pretty sweet.

Are the three amigos in good enough shape to run together for a few minutes? That seems like it would be pretty sweet.

I know that Todd Mitchell showed up but did not play in the last alumni game. I don't think that Troy Lewis or Everette Stephens attended last time.

You can find me FLAG HUNTER. I wear a bandana and backpack for a device I use to stave off any new cancer cells. My dad wears an eye patch because he had cancer in his eye.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I will look for you nag and introduce myself. Will be wearing gold Purdue shirt , sitting in the normally high priced seats.

I know that Todd Mitchell showed up but did not play in the last alumni game. I don't think that Troy Lewis or Everette Stephens attended last time.
The last time the alumni game was played in Mackey, Troy played and played well - I think he had 9 points if my memory serves. Wish I could make the game this year!

Sitting row D straight across from Purdue home bench , if anyone wants to say hi. Gold Purdue shirt, sitting with daughter and tjreese

It's fine. I was wandering around after the game trying to get autographs. I got Roy Hairston's, Tim Ervin's, and Rob Hummel's.

JJ can still play, can't he?

It's fine. I was wandering around after the game trying to get autographs. I got Roy Hairston's, Tim Ervin's, and Rob Hummel's.

JJ can still play, can't he?
Timmy Ervin? I got my picture taken with him at the bar that was originally where Where Else? is (anyone remember that name?). He was very cool. He was our Bobby buckets back then.

Well Icame all the way from North Carolina and was on Campus but missed the game. I can't believe that scheduled Graduation and Alumni Game to coincide!!!! Who are these people and surely we're not paying them!!!

It was a back-and-forth game. Team Black won. The final score was something like 101-91.

I forgot to mention that I briefly saw Matt Haarms. I could be wrong but he didn't look any bigger or more muscular than he was this past season.

I forgot to mention that I briefly saw Matt Haarms. I could be wrong but he didn't look any bigger or more muscular than he was this past season.
Haarms is a large and long dude. He could have added 15 lbs of muscle, and it might not appear like he added much.

Haarms is a large and long dude. He could have added 15 lbs of muscle, and it might not appear like he added much.

Also, strength and size are not the same thing. Haas was his strongest at his leanest. Haarms needs strength, not simply bulkiness. A great asset of his is his movement/agility for a guy his size, we don't want him getting "weighed' down.

Also, strength and size are not the same thing. Haas was his strongest at his leanest. Haarms needs strength, not simply bulkiness. A great asset of his is his movement/agility for a guy his size, we don't want him getting "weighed' down.
We as fans had this argument with JJ and I remember CMP addressing this as ‘applicable strength.’ What you need to be strong at doing doesn’t always translate to looking muscular. JJ was very strong at what he needed to be strong at. No need to make someone bulky if it’ll hamper their ability to do what they need and are capable of doing.

For example, I am just shy of 6’ and weigh about 155 pounds...I don’t look all that huge but I have applicable strength through my lifting and excercising. It’s why I lifted the front end of car on Friday night enough to get it out of a hole it fell in and couldn’t get back out of (mud filled with water). I don’t need to look like I’m Hulk Hogan to have the strength needed to perform the tasks I am asked or may need to perform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT