ADVERTISEMENT

$9M…

We are Big Ten. We have Big Ten revenue. We are not Ohio State or Alabama but I think we have plenty to offer. Our last coach did fine. Had us in the conference championship game even. Granted, that is far less likely with an 18 team conference and no divisions but that also means there will be years where the schedule falls in our favor (avoiding 8 teams every single year). We just have to be decent to take advantage of it.

So whether we are haves or have-nots really depends on perspective. If you want to be perennial national title contender, we are not that. But we are in the top money conference and have access to the new playoff system. Our fan base does not have unrealistic expectations. Pretty much go .500 and beat IU more often than not. Do that and you'll sell out the 60k seat stadium and have a top 25-ish salary for as long as you want to be here.

I don't know what Fisher is looking for. He may have his sights set on the perennial national title contender. But there are only so many Big Ten and SEC jobs and we're probably in a better position historically than a handful of programs in that group too (Northwestern, IU, Rutgers, Vanderbilt to name a few). I don't think we are quite the beggars some of our fans make us out to be. I good coach from a lower conference should be very excited to come here even if he views it as a stepping stone to something bigger.
We are the beggars fans make us out to be though, because the University makes it so. Purdue has plenty of money. PLENTY. But will they spend on football? A 30 year mortgage on a stadium renovation is what we’ve seen in our lifetime.

Our current coach had to publicly complain about a lack of funds just to try to get some players. I say that just because it’s a fact and not in defense of said coach, just to be clear. Our proud alumn basketball coach had to shake the school down for fair compensation.

Purdue could put a bunch of money into being good at football, but will they? I doubt it. They should, I wish they would, but there’s been enough success in the last 25 years to deter them. We might catch lightning in a bottle again, and we’ll just keep trying until we do. And then we’ll go cheap on the lightning when he tries to add thunder.

He’s gunna want a whole hell of a lot more money than we should pay for a retread
Again, money is irrelevant. There is no 'value' you can apply to a HC. If there were, then the highest paid coaches would always be competing for a NC and the lowest paid would be going 2-10.
Purdue has plenty of money. If they want a top tier HC, they have to spend for it. It has zero impact financially on the fanbase.

With all his buy-out cash he could pay US to coach! LOL
A more realistic option than Walters leading us anywhere meaningful!

Fisher could always recruit and had good defenses. Rode Winston to his title though and really floundered finding a QB at any point after that. Seems a little like the boat we are in now…and likely not worth paying Jimbo the $8-10mil his ego will need to coach here.

That said, if all of our A level candidates (small school offensive minds who can bring a staff) strike out I’d put him at the top of list B.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT