ADVERTISEMENT

#8 USA/Today Poll

What on earth do they see in Iowa State? I'm not convinced they'd finish higher than 4th in the B10.

....and the Douchiest Douchbag who ever Douched, aka Jon Wilner, moved us down a spot this week to 18 in his ballot.

Apparently the Purdue fans have been giving him hell about it, so he made a quick explanation in his blog this week:

"Have heard from some angry Purdue fans on Twitter about the Boilermakers’ placement. They were 17th last week on my ballot and 11th in the AP poll. (This week: 18th.)

Let’s just say I haven’t been wowed by the schedule. Seems Purdue is attempting to break the record for number of games against RPI 200+ opponents.

But the schedule toughens this weekend with Butler, then Vanderbilt and Wisconsin. Good chance to assess the Boilermakers."

Link

For the love of God, Purdue needs to win the next three games, just to keep guys like this from spouting off saying "See! See! I told you they weren't any good!

Reactions: ahhculdee
....and the Douchiest Douchbag who ever Douched, aka Jon Wilner, moved us down a spot this week to 18 in his ballot.

Apparently the Purdue fans have been giving him hell about it, so he made a quick explanation in his blog this week:

"Have heard from some angry Purdue fans on Twitter about the Boilermakers’ placement. They were 17th last week on my ballot and 11th in the AP poll. (This week: 18th.)

Let’s just say I haven’t been wowed by the schedule. Seems Purdue is attempting to break the record for number of games against RPI 200+ opponents.

But the schedule toughens this weekend with Butler, then Vanderbilt and Wisconsin. Good chance to assess the Boilermakers."

Link

For the love of God, Purdue needs to win the next three games, just to keep guys like this from spouting off saying "See! See! I told you they weren't any good!
He uses RPI. That's his first problem.

He uses RPI. That's his first problem.

Preach!

The RPI is an abomination that needs to die of neglect and disuse.

But he doesn't really believe that. It's just a convenient excuse. Look at who he has ranked ahead of us (Louisville) and take a look at their schedule so far. More cupcakes than a fat kid's lunchbox.

Reactions: Frankie611
Preach!

The RPI is an abomination that needs to die of neglect and disuse.

But he doesn't really believe that. It's just a convenient excuse. Look at who he has ranked ahead of us (Louisville) and take a look at their schedule so far. More cupcakes than a fat kid's lunchbox.
I don't agree with him, but Louisville's SOS is 44. Purdue's is 231. The name of the rpi game is scheduling cupcakes in the 100-200 range, not the 200+ range. Purdue isn't playing the rpi game, and this is what can happen like it or not.

I don't agree with him, but Louisville's SOS is 44. Purdue's is 231. The name of the rpi game is scheduling cupcakes in the 100-200 range, not the 200+ range. Purdue isn't playing the rpi game, and this is what can happen like it or not.

KenPom has Louisville's SOS at 292, and Purdue's at 271.

The guy doesn't know how to use RPI like most people. RPI needs at least 3/4 of a season's worth of data to be relevant. Its a good tool once the entire data set is in. KenPom should be what is focused on now. Its formula is more based on statistics of the game rather than the interconnectedness of who plays who.
Either way, I don't care what this guy's opinion is. Maybe he is right and we will lose the next 3. Who knows? Thats why we play the game. The team just needs to keep getting better and focus on one game at a time.

Anyone remember the site that provides a breakdown of how the media and coaches voted in each poll? Provides a good outlook of who skews who the highest, lowest, and most consistently.

edit: looks like http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/ got updated and provides what i'm looking for.

edit #2: mr. jon wilner has 8 'extreme picks'... where in his picks are more than 5 spots from the actual composite ranking. the guy throws shit up on a wall and hopes it sticks. best to ignore types like these

Last edited:
I suspect Wilner is just salty because we got Swanigan over Cal, who's having a bit of an uneven start to the year. Probably friends with that Cal reporter who published multiple stories confidently saying Swanny was headed to Cal.

Anyone remember the site that provides a breakdown of how the media and coaches voted in each poll? Provides a good outlook of who skews who the highest, lowest, and most consistently.

edit: looks like http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/ got updated and provides what i'm looking for.

edit #2: mr. jon wilner has 8 'extreme picks'... where in his picks are more than 5 spots from the actual composite ranking. the guy throws shit up on a wall and hopes it sticks. best to ignore types like these
Either ignore him or follow the link and down-vote him.

I suspect Wilner is just salty because we got Swanigan over Cal, who's having a bit of an uneven start to the year. Probably friends with that Cal reporter who published multiple stories confidently saying Swanny was headed to Cal.

I mean, honestly, who cares? It's mid-December. You're gonna get your panties in a wad because how 1 voter puts Purdue in the rankings? It's really not worth getting upset about.

And quite frankly, what he is saying is not really that inaccurate when you're just looking at Purdue. We've beaten a couple decent teams, but the real tests are coming up. Personally, I wouldn't move Purdue down by any means and looking at 1 version of SOS is slightly meaningless (although the RPI is used more than many of us would think it should). But he's right - Purdue has the opportunity to prove itself over the next week. I still would have Purdue in the 10-15 range, but obviously a lot of other teams are falling, which makes it hard for Purdue not to creep up.

He has Butler at 12 and us at 18, so if we take care of business, that is step 1 in showing him that we are for real. Lose that game and he will have "told us so"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT