ADVERTISEMENT

4* QB Athan Kaliakmanis

I say we take him. We need 2 in this class. We don’t know what Sindelar is going to do and Plummer is coming off a major injury himself.

I would like to get Hornsby, but he seems to be headed to staying in TX.

I know we are also pursuing that kid from Indy for 2021, but Hornsby decision could change that, since they are similar style players.

Certainly don't turn down an athlete like Hornsby but my preference would be that Purdue get one in 2021 instead, and in that I'd like the kid from Indy. Taking one in 2021 versus two in 2020 better spreads the class balance also.

Reactions: ChuckJr and Roeder
We do have other QBs on our roster besides just Sindelar and Plummer. We have AOC and Piferi, and have a commitment from Alaimo. I don't believe we really need to add 2 quarterbacks to this current class - especially a dual option oriented one who doesn't really fir Brohm's offense. just because he has 4 stars doesn't mean he would be a good fit for our team. look at all the mass exodus of our players. why are they leaving? lack of playing time. if our Qbs weren't injured so much, we wouldn't need to stockpile them. What our Qbs really need is 5 body guards. others might call them a real offensive line.

Certainly don't turn down an athlete like Hornsby but my preference would be that Purdue get one in 2021 instead, and in that I'd like the kid from Indy. Taking one in 2021 versus two in 2020 better spreads the class balance also.
Brohm has said that his plan is to take 1 QB every year. If we get 2 this year, I don't think it stops us from taking one next year.

Brohm has said that his plan is to take 1 QB every year. If we get 2 this year, I don't think it stops us from taking one next year.

As I said, it's my preference - the coaches have additional ideas, plans and certainly information that no one on this board has so I trust their judgement. My only other thought is that if Hornsby comes it may impact the ability to attract a 2021 prospect. I still prefer a more balanced roster, class wise.

We do have other QBs on our roster besides just Sindelar and Plummer. We have AOC and Piferi, and have a commitment from Alaimo. I don't believe we really need to add 2 quarterbacks to this current class - especially a dual option oriented one who doesn't really fir Brohm's offense. just because he has 4 stars doesn't mean he would be a good fit for our team. look at all the mass exodus of our players. why are they leaving? lack of playing time. if our Qbs weren't injured so much, we wouldn't need to stockpile them. What our Qbs really need is 5 body guards. others might call them a real offensive line.

We need players of that style for our defense to practice against. And, if he shows to be something special, I expect CJB to make adjustments to our playing style to fit his talents. But, I agree with you that no mater who we have at QB and what ever their personal skill traits are, we need the 5 body guards for them.

Don't take a second QB tis year. Get a great one next year.
Hornsby is going to be a great one. He was invited to this year's AA game like Rondale, George, etc.

He is also ranked as one of the top dual threat QBs in the country. I think one service had him as the #1 dual threat. He might be the fastest HS QB in the country this year. That is something that we have not had in a while, a dual threat QB, which would be nice to have especially if the line is still a work in progress next year.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Just saw he tweeted that Purdue offered him even though he is committed to Minnesota. The tweet seemed like he was excited. Thoughts?
He also has a brother, Dino, who appears to be nearly as good of a prospect, who committed to Minnesota at the same time. Perhaps they are a package deal. I did notice that Athan liked only the replies to his Purdue tweet that were pro-Minnesota, so I'm not holding my breath on this one yet.

Reactions: ChuckJr
my thoughts are like the year we added Alstott ad that other QB. it's nice to have a lot of talent on your team. But we never used Allstott and all he did was take up a scholarship and then he got tired of not playing and left.

if you sign 2 "ELITE" QBS in one class, one is going to win and one will be frustrated and leave. and you've essentially wasted that scholarship when it could have been used at another position, so that we stop the quick fix juco signings, because we were tooooooooooo busy in the past signing players at positions we didn't need help at.

Without Sipe and Sindelar, you still have 3 quality QBs on the roster and one commit. You also have several players who played QB in high school on our roster.

I'm all for recruiting a n elite QB for the 2021 class. But even brohm at one time said he only planned to sign one QB per year. that adds up to 4! and we already have 4. if you want a 4th QB on scholarship - give one to AOC ! i'd hate to see a scholarship go to an incoming freshmen and AOC continue to be a walk-on. he's a lot more deserving.

Reactions: FiveWeight
Why does Hornsby not fit Brohm’s offense?

Reactions: mille736
According to the Rutgers fans they are trying to flip the quarterback you have committed..Maybe this is why..

According to the Rutgers fans they are trying to flip the quarterback you have committed..Maybe this is why..

Thought I already saw a Rutgers poster say that Alaimo had already reaffirmed his commitment to Purdue

Thought I already saw a Rutgers poster say that Alaimo had already reaffirmed his commitment to Purdue
He does have a brother at Rutgers, but he officially visited us this last weekend. It appeared from his tweets that he was good with Purdue, but you never know I guess.

I can see us recruiting 2 QBs this year, because we still don’t know what Sindelar is going to do. I have a feeling that Brohm does. Plummer had a major injury. He should be fine, but you never know until he is tested. That leaves us with AOC, Piferi, and Alaimo for QBs next year that we know are healthy. As we have seen in other seasons, we sometimes need 4 QBs to play, going back to the Marve days.

Reactions: indy35
Why does Hornsby not fit Brohm’s offense?

While many of Brohm's QBs have been involved in many running plays, a lot of those plays were the result of a very BAD offensive line that could not provide him time to remain in the pocket. And sometimes the Qb was running for his life or to escape injury.

Given our wide receivers and an incoming stud RB, and maybe some offensive line help, Brohm's offense really doesn't need a QB to be a dual threat QB.

But my main point is that brohm has said his goal is to sign 1 Qb per year. No matter how great the QBs are, it's a waste of a scholarship to sign two elite Qbs in one season. That's sort of like giving scholarships to punters when most schools have them as walk-ons.

Do we reall y need two QBs in this class? or do you just want him because he's a 4 star QB and yo u want him purely because of his ranking? We need a big 3 star O_lineman and 4 star D - lineman a lot more than we need another 4 star QB.

Unfortunately, this guy is a troll. Trying to get people to bite and we shouldn't respond. He seems to like Brohm since he brings him up so much on his board.

Reactions: indy35
While many of Brohm's QBs have been involved in many running plays, a lot of those plays were the result of a very BAD offensive line that could not provide him time to remain in the pocket. And sometimes the Qb was running for his life or to escape injury.

Given our wide receivers and an incoming stud RB, and maybe some offensive line help, Brohm's offense really doesn't need a QB to be a dual threat QB.

But my main point is that brohm has said his goal is to sign 1 Qb per year. No matter how great the QBs are, it's a waste of a scholarship to sign two elite Qbs in one season. That's sort of like giving scholarships to punters when most schools have them as walk-ons.

Do we reall y need two QBs in this class? or do you just want him because he's a 4 star QB and yo u want him purely because of his ranking? We need a big 3 star O_lineman and 4 star D - lineman a lot more than we need another 4 star QB.
Got it. I was just curious if there was some concern that his passing ability was lacking in a way that would reduce his value in spite of his other abilities.
I see your point regarding other needs. I do doubt that this staff would let limits stop them if a high end player at another position wanted to come here though. I bet they would make the room. It’s cut throat.

I imagine CJB is after 2 and hoping to get one of them. Maybe not after the amount of Qb's we went through this year, that could very well happen again and we would need them both tho. It may be first come first serve then the other has no offer.

my thoughts are like the year we added Alstott ad that other QB. it's nice to have a lot of talent on your team. But we never used Allstott and all he did was take up a scholarship and then he got tired of not playing and left.

if you sign 2 "ELITE" QBS in one class, one is going to win and one will be frustrated and leave. and you've essentially wasted that scholarship when it could have been used at another position, so that we stop the quick fix juco signings, because we were tooooooooooo busy in the past signing players at positions we didn't need help at.

Without Sipe and Sindelar, you still have 3 quality QBs on the roster and one commit. You also have several players who played QB in high school on our roster.

I'm all for recruiting a n elite QB for the 2021 class. But even brohm at one time said he only planned to sign one QB per year. that adds up to 4! and we already have 4. if you want a 4th QB on scholarship - give one to AOC ! i'd hate to see a scholarship go to an incoming freshmen and AOC continue to be a walk-on. he's a lot more deserving.

We also have Danny Carollo on the roster so we might as well just give him a scholly too while we're at it instead of recruiting highly ranked guys.

Very TIC just in case you can't tell.

Doesn't Sparks have a year left too? There are plenty of QBs on this team playing other positions. if our line protected our QB like other teams do, we would only need 1 QB and a back-up.

I just don't see the point of stocking up at one position just because of the stars the player has. Hazell was very bad at stocking up on RBS and DBs their ratings were decent, but what's the benefit if you have 10 great Dbs and you never play 6 of them?

as for being a dual threat, I'm not totally against it. But when you have the receiving weapons purdue does and will have, it seems like a waste of talent for your QB to be a running QB. I say, just build a great wall, and let your QB sit back in the pocket and let your receivers do their thing.

I know all about Louisville's QB who is now with the ravens. IS everybody going to start copying their success?

I also know that sometimes a QB is listed as a dual Qb , but is really not one. Sindelar was not really known for his running ability until he came to purdue.

Reactions: FiveWeight
I also know that sometimes a QB is listed as a dual Qb , but is really not one. Sindelar was not really known for his running ability until he came to purdue.

Umm Sindelar is not known for his running ability. Before or after he came to Purdue.

I was going to bring up Lamar Jackson before you did yourself. He's probably more the exception than the rule, but I sure wouldn't mind someone at QB that could do the things he can do. He can sit in the pocket and he can also get out and make things happen with his feet. What that does is keep a linebacker away from double covering the slot receiver as much. Boy that would be nice wouldn't it?

I just think you should stay open to the idea. It could be a good one.

Umm Sindelar is not known for his running ability. Before or after he came to Purdue.

I was going to bring up Lamar Jackson before you did yourself. He's probably more the exception than the rule, but I sure wouldn't mind someone at QB that could do the things he can do. He can sit in the pocket and he can also get out and make things happen with his feet. What that does is keep a linebacker away from double covering the slot receiver as much. Boy that would be nice wouldn't it?

I just think you should stay open to the idea. It could be a good one.

my thought on Sindelar was that he was NOT a running QB, except those times he was running for his life, or those really bad play calls for him to run.

the question I raise, is when you have receivers like Moore, Bell and Carr, would you really want a dual or option or run oriented QB ? or would you rather have a drop back passer with a cannon and accurate arm?

my thought on Sindelar was that he was NOT a running QB, except those times he was running for his life, or those really bad play calls for him to run.

the question I raise, is when you have receivers like Moore, Bell and Carr, would you really want a dual or option or run oriented QB ? or would you rather have a drop back passer with a cannon and accurate arm?
Normally, the answer would be a pocket QB like a Brees or Brady. However, the QB needs a line to hold up and keep the pocket from collapsing, so he can allow the play(s) to develop. We don't have that right now. How long will it take to get that type of line?

With our situation, a dual threat can create with his legs to keep the defense honest, which opens up WRs for plays from the QB from rolling out of the pocket or the defense stays more honest and does not bring the house and some throws are from the pocket. We are seeing this with Lamar Jackson this year with the Ravens. I think we would take that production right now.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Normally, the answer would be a pocket QB like a Brees or Brady. However, the QB needs a line to hold up and keep the pocket from collapsing, so he can allow the play(s) to develop. We don't have that right now. How long will it take to get that type of line?

With our situation, a dual threat can create with his legs to keep the defense honest, which opens up WRs for plays from the QB from rolling out of the pocket or the defense stays more honest and does not bring the house and some throws are from the pocket. We are seeing this with Lamar Jackson this year with the Ravens. I think we would take that production right now.
I think The line will be just fine xu started looking a whole lot better the last couple games

Reactions: Dakota Girl

I'd say you get the best QB that can fit your system. Bland answer of course but that's because there are a lot of different ways to fit a QB into a system. Nick Saban has learned that. For years he had drop back passers, but then has shifted to guys like Jalen Hurts and Tua, more dual-threats. Alabama's WRs right now are arguably the best set in the country, but they have (had before injury) a Dual-threat QB. Kyler Murray and then Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma. Deedee Lamb is one of the best WRs in the country right now but he has a dual-threat QB.

If we can get one of the best quarterbacks in the country to commit to Purdue I'm gonna take him.

I'd say you get the best QB that can fit your system. Bland answer of course but that's because there are a lot of different ways to fit a QB into a system. Nick Saban has learned that. For years he had drop back passers, but then has shifted to guys like Jalen Hurts and Tua, more dual-threats. Alabama's WRs right now are arguably the best set in the country, but they have (had before injury) a Dual-threat QB. Kyler Murray and then Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma. Deedee Lamb is one of the best WRs in the country right now but he has a dual-threat QB.

If we can get one of the best quarterbacks in the country to commit to Purdue I'm gonna take him.

Well said. Part of the problem (I believe) is that dual threat to many people means a run first(or dominate) style. For Purdue a dual threat who is pass first but also has a proven ability to run is ideal. Part of the reason that I like the kid from Lawrence North , as well as Hornsby(or the like).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT