ADVERTISEMENT

3 pt shooter on your bench and you don't play him

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
= loss. Bad coaching move by CMP. Also needed a TO before the under 3.

Maybe his lack of playing time had more to do with the player than with the coach. Kind of funny people want to automatically blame Painter. We don't what all is going on behind the scenes with that.

I hope you aren't talking about KS. Him chucking a bunch of threes isn't what we needed out there.

Also, not being able to win games (& being beaten as badly as we have in second halfs) is on the coaching staff. It's called making some adjustments. Good coaches do it.

Reactions: cprh9u
Someone has to hit 3s - it's part of the game especially against a zone defense. The defense was sagging, playing help side, clogging the post, and blocking the driving lanes. To open up the lane and the post you have to keep the D true - the point is you have to keep the defense honest. Maybe we needed more of Matthias/Cline? Not sure what the answer is but we can't complain about no one creating offense, driving the lane, or feeding the post when the defense is cheating and sagging.

Reactions: rjmpu82
Someone has to hit 3s - it's part of the game especially against a zone defense. The defense was sagging, playing help side, clogging the post, and blocking the driving lanes. To open up the lane and the post you have to keep the D true - the point is you have to keep the defense honest. Maybe we needed more of Matthias/Cline? Not sure what the answer is but we can't complain about no one creating offense, driving the lane, or feeding the post when the defense is cheating and sagging.
Exactly, all the more reason to have KS in the game. You have to at least have a threat on the floor to keep the D from doubling down inside.

Yep.

Yep.
I remember him turning our season around last year when he hit 2 or 3 late 3's against PSU when we were all but dead.
i remember countless times his drunken sailor 3 chuck-fest fueled 3-5 min scoring droughts that led to losses.

Yep.

i remember countless times his drunken sailor 3 chuck-fest fueled 3-5 min scoring droughts that led to losses.
Really... Fill me in because CMP said himself KS was the best player on the court when we played Iowa at home and he should have played him more in the second half. Our other 3 loses were games we gave away and didn't show up in the second half and he didn't play today.

= loss. Bad coaching move by CMP. Also needed a TO before the under 3.
What nonsense. A kid that has not practiced for 3 weeks is going to come in and recognize the offensive and defense sets, and shoot us into a win? Yeh, right....
But hey, why not speculate, and pretend KS is some sort of magic bullet that painter capriciously kept on the bench. It is much more fun, but it does decrease the credibility of those posing this wild thought, don't ya think?

:cool:

Really... Fill me in because CMP said himself KS was the best player on the court when we played Iowa at home and he should have played him more in the second half.

Painter also says he expects KS to hit every shot. Painter says a lot of things.

What nonsense. A kid that has not practiced for 3 weeks is going to come in and recognize the offensive and defense sets, and shoot us into a win? Yeh, right....
But hey, why not speculate, and pretend KS is some sort of magic bullet that painter capriciously kept on the bench. It is much more fun, but it does decrease the credibility of those posing this wild thought, don't ya think?

The kid is a Junior. He's been playing basketball at Purdue for 3 years. I'm not saying he would have won the game. I'm saying it's really bad coaching not giving him a chance when outside shooting was an obvious need for this team today. If the kid is dressed and practices with the team for the week, he's ready to play, otherwise don't dress him. He's on scholarship at Purdue to play basketball. He's coming off an emotional 3 weeks and obviously felt he was ready to come back or he wouldn't have. Sometimes that's when a kid steps up the most.

cant go 3 minutes at the end of the game without scoring and expect to win. down by just 3 at 3:48 mark and we dont score again until :55 left. played well until the final segment. need to be able to finish games

The kid is a Junior. He's been playing basketball at Purdue for 3 years. I'm not saying he would have won the game. I'm saying it's really bad coaching not giving him a chance when outside shooting was an obvious need for this team today. If the kid is dressed and practices with the team for the week, he's ready to play, otherwise don't dress him. He's on scholarship at Purdue to play basketball. He's coming off an emotional 3 weeks and obviously felt he was ready to come back or he wouldn't have. Sometimes that's when a kid steps up the most.
If Painter played him and he went 0/5 YOU would be the first guy on here saying that Painter made a terrible coaching move bringing back a kid who hasn't played in weeks. I don't usually get into this kind of posting garbage but after every loss I read through one of you Painter bashing bitch posts and it gets old.

Yeah I mean we could have played Stephens and been 3-30 or something like that.
Maybe, maybe not. My point is why not take a chance. If he shoots his average from 3 we probably win this game.

If Painter played him and he went 0/5 YOU would be the first guy on here saying that Painter made a terrible coaching move bringing back a kid who hasn't played in weeks. I don't usually get into this kind of posting garbage but after every loss I read through one of you Painter bashing bitch posts and it gets old.
No, actually I wouldn't have. I have not called out any of the kids that shot poorly today, only those of you bashing KS have when he didn't even play. Do I get tire of the "Groundhog Day" type games we have been playing lately, where we play well for 20 min, lead at the half and end up losing by 10? Yes... Don't you?

No, actually I wouldn't have. I have not called out any of the kids that shot poorly today, only those of you bashing KS have when he didn't even play. Do I get tire of the "Groundhog Day" type games we have been playing lately, where we play well for 20 min, lead at the half and end up losing by 10? Yes... Don't you?

......only played well for 20 minutes?

Bottom line, Swanigan's green light from 3 lost that game....nothing else...

......only played well for 20 minutes?
Ok, we played well about 35 today. Point is you have to play well for 40. You also have to make adjustments when you know they are going to try and take away what made you sucessful in the first half. That hasn't been figured out yet.

Ok, we played well about 35 today. Point is you have to play well for 40. You also have to make adjustments when you know they are going to try and take away what made you sucessful in the first half. That hasn't been figured out yet.
Sounds like you think you know more about Kendall's ability to play in this game than Painter does. Well done.

Without good three point shooting, Maryland was able to take away our inside game in the second half. The adjustment needed was to hit those damned shots. The only time we managed to pull away was when (1) Maryland lost defensive focus, and (2) we hit back-to-back 3 pt shots and their defense had to extend. If we hit our open shots in the second half, we take this game. Remember, Maryland might be underinflating their basketballs - it's seems to be a thing out there on the east coast.

No one shot their average 3's. What ifs, what ifs ...

Yeah, 3-25 isn't going to do it at #4 Maryland. On to the next game.

Painter has to change up this offense. They have no business chucking up 25 3's when they are clearly a poor shooting team and when they have an advantage inside... yes, even against Maryland. Our offensive strategy is very poor against good competition. D was fairly solid for most of the night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT