ADVERTISEMENT

3 pt shooter on your bench and you don't play him

Painter has to change up this offense. They have no business chucking up 25 3's when they are clearly a poor shooting team and when they have an advantage inside... yes, even against Maryland. Our offensive strategy is very poor against good competition. D was fairly solid for most of the night.

This is tough though. What the hell are you going to do when you can't make an outside jumper and the defense knows it? Teams don't care if we shoot a 3, because they're pretty damn sure it isn't going in. At some point, a good team is going to absolutely refuse to let the ball go down low when they have no fear of the perimeter offense. Bottom line is, you make the shots they give you, they stop giving them to you, and you can do what you want. Throw up a bunch of bricks from outside and you are screwed. Especially when you're on the road and don't have guards who can drive and get fouled any time they want.

The thing is, we are NOT a "bad" three-point shooting team, as overall numbers bear out. We're just inconsistent.

After 3 weeks off, Kendall COULD have lit it up. We're well into our third year of seeing his consistency -- or not. If I'm CMP, I would ask how likely?

Mathias, Cline, PJ, Vince, Biggie, Ray -- all of whom have practiced and played consistently during Kendall's hiatus -- have also shown they can rain in threes ... at times. If I'm CMP pre-game, whose odds are better?

Got to give the kid a chance when others wouldn't be able to shoot it into the ocean
What if Matt has a rule about so many practices to play? I thought he would get in...last in the rotation, but thought he would hit the court at some point. The fact he didn't makes me wonder if there is some "rule" known by the team about so many practices? I'm speculating only because I admit I don't know why he never got a few minutes? Tuesday is big...Purdue needs to bounce back

What if Matt has a rule about so many practices to play? I thought he would get in...last in the rotation, but thought he would hit the court at some point. The fact he didn't makes me wonder if there is some "rule" known by the team about so many practices? I'm speculating only because I admit I don't know why he never got a few minutes? Tuesday is big...Purdue needs to bounce back
Under the circumstances he was out, that would be pretty stupid to enforce if true. I have not heard of CMP having any such rule by the way. He usually doesn't play someone if they haven't practiced, but KS practiced this week.

Painter has to change up this offense. They have no business chucking up 25 3's when they are clearly a poor shooting team and when they have an advantage inside... yes, even against Maryland. Our offensive strategy is very poor against good competition. D was fairly solid for most of the night.
I don't know if we have the personnel to change up the offense. Change it to what? I don't think Purdue has the guards/wings with the penetration/ball-handling skills for a dribble-drive type of offense, and a same for a pick-and-roll offense. And bottom line is that doesn't fit our biggest strengths: our bigs. They just clog the lane. I think the system we have right now is the one that best fits the current roster; it just looks really bad when jumpers aren't falling, which is going to happen unfortunately. Going into the season, however, I didn't think an the entire team would ever be cold. I thought, "Well, if Kendall is cold, either Mathias or Cline will surely knock some down," but that hasn't exactly panned out.

I'm sorry but no one knows what went on with KS or what he and Painter agreed to when he came back. Perhaps he was told he could travel with the team but would not play until he had X practices completed. If MP set a rule like that and then backed up on it he would lose everyone on the team.

Sorry, missed the post above saying the same thing before posting this. I will still say if Painter made that rule or stipulation, he simply can't back up on it and keep the respect of his players.

Last edited:
Reactions: PU pit bull
I'm sorry but no one knows what went on with KS or what he and Painter agreed to when he came back. Perhaps he was told he could travel with the team but would not play until he had X practices completed. If MP set a rule like that and then backed up on it he would lose everyone on the team.
I would agree with you under most circumstances, but not for missing time for a death to a friend.

I kind of speculated that too. At tip he was the only guy other than walkons with his warm up shirt on.

Under the circumstances he was out, that would be pretty stupid to enforce if true. I have not heard of CMP having any such rule by the way. He usually doesn't play someone if they haven't practiced, but KS practiced this week.
As I said i do not know, but if there is a rule about practice you have to be very careful in applying it different to different people. Your response indicates you know the situation with kendall to say it is a stupid rule. I don't know all the details to make that statement...

I would agree with you under most circumstances, but not for missing time for a death to a friend.
As I mentioned below...do you know the background or speculating on one thing you know and assuming that is the whole reason?

I know! If that lousy Painter had only put in Eifert, no doubt he would have shot us to victory over the #3 team in the country. Darn it, I wish we had a coach that would take a chance every once in a while' Maybe McKeeman or Toyra would have done it. We know he didn't miss a shot yesterday. Obviously he could have hit 70% of his 3's, if only...

:cool: (TIC of course)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT