ADVERTISEMENT

2025 Recruiting

I disagree on the athleticism. Ivey had the quickness that few can match. Out of control sometimes but he is probably the quickest most explosive basketball player we've seen at Purdue in a long time....maybe ever.
I keep thinking the same thing. Ivey has world-class speed and quickness. I may be wrong, but I don't expect to see Colvin single-handedly breaking a full-court press. He is a great athlete, but Ivey's speed and quickness are very rare, even for great athletes.

Reactions: tjreese
I disagree on the athleticism. Ivey had the quickness that few can match. Out of control sometimes but he is probably the quickest most explosive basketball player we've seen at Purdue in a long time....maybe ever.

Colvin has a great shot and can jump but he really hasn't made use of his athleticism in any meaningful way in the first 3 games. Right now, he's pretty passive and seems to avoid contact. In 39 minutes he has zero rebounds, zero assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal.

Like you said he's young and things can certainly change but it's not like he's a can't miss early entrant.
I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s noticed Colvin running down court to the defensive end when teammates have put up shots and not crashing the boards, correct? Another thing Paint is sure to address with his new freshman baller! 😁

Furst isn't leaving with his brother on the team.

Only player with Covid year Painter would consider is Edey. Would take lots of NIL money to make that a reality.

Could Waddell give up the scholarship to become a walk-on?

Prep school option is interesting. Wouldn't Jacobson who reclassified make the most sense there.

TKR is one to watch as a potential transfer but if he continues to improve like off season hype suggested he is our starting center next year. If not, then odds go up he enters the portal

Not sure what to think of Berg. He hasn't sucked but he doesn't seem to be a post player even at his height

Could Furst take a Football scholarship as a Tight End? Who was it who played basketball for 4 years then played football and went pro? I remember there, but can't remember who
Re Jacobsen - if he didn’t reclassify, we would be okay. Not sure how you ask him to switch his class again back the other way.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s noticed Colvin running down court to the defensive end when teammates have put up shots and not crashing the boards, correct? Another thing Paint is sure to address with his new freshman baller! 😁
Painter wants the 4 and 5 to crash the offensive boards, the 1-3 spots usually have other responsibilities. Just heard him talk about that with JMV the other day.

Colvin has a great shot and can jump but he really hasn't made use of his athleticism in any meaningful way in the first 3 games. Right now, he's pretty passive and seems to avoid contact. In 39 minutes he has zero rebounds, zero assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal.

Like you said he's young and things can certainly change but it's not like he's a can't miss early entrant.
I’m comparing them 3 games into their careers. Through 3 games they have played the same amount of mins and Myles has shot it better and scored more. Jayden did have more rebounds, steals and assist though. Jaden’s mins started to increase and was asked to do more so naturally he started stuffing the stat sheet. Not sure Myles will be asked to do as much as Jaden this year since the team Myles is on, is a lot better. We will see what Myles looks like if he gets increased mins—which a lot of us are hoping for.

However, have you seen Myles’s dunks from the dunk contest this past summer? Pretty damn impressive and not sure Jaden at 17 (what Myles was at the time) was doing those types of dunks. I’m sure he was able to as he got older, but Myles is ahead in that department but def not as quick as Jaden…yet or that we’ve seen.

Jaden was also not a “can’t miss” early entrant his freshman year and even after his freshman year. Not sure any of us could say Jaden was going to be top 5 or even a lotto pick after his freshman year.

Painter wants the 4 and 5 to crash the offensive boards, the 1-3 spots usually have other responsibilities. Just heard him talk about that with JMV the other day.
I’d like to hear what he had to say. I’d have thought it’d be 3-5 looking to rebound and the 1-2 picking up outlet passing lanes. The 3 looking for the longer boards. Now I want to hear his scheme to understand how we are playing. JMV?

Furst isn't leaving with his brother on the team.

Only player with Covid year Painter would consider is Edey. Would take lots of NIL money to make that a reality.

Could Waddell give up the scholarship to become a walk-on?

Prep school option is interesting. Wouldn't Jacobson who reclassified make the most sense there.

TKR is one to watch as a potential transfer but if he continues to improve like off season hype suggested he is our starting center next year. If not, then odds go up he enters the portal

Not sure what to think of Berg. He hasn't sucked but he doesn't seem to be a post player even at his height

Could Furst take a Football scholarship as a Tight End? Who was it who played basketball for 4 years then played football and went pro? I remember there, but can't remember who
Probably not who you are thinking of but didn’t Patrick Bade switch to football?

I’d like to hear what he had to say. I’d have thought it’d be 3-5 looking to rebound and the 1-2 picking up outlet passing lanes. The 3 looking for the longer boards. Now I want to hear his scheme to understand how we are playing. JMV?
JMV is a Sports radio host in Indy. Here’s a Spotify link to the interview:

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Smith and Newman had decent rebounding numbers last year as well as Morton. Jones and Loyer are averaging 4 and 5 rebounds per 40 this year. I'm not saying he should be leading the team in rebounding but getting zero in 3 games (39 minutes) is fairly unusual.

Smith and Newman had decent rebounding numbers last year as well as Morton. Jones and Loyer are averaging 4 and 5 rebounds per 40 this year. I'm not saying he should be leading the team in rebounding but getting zero in 3 games (39 minutes) is fairly unusual.
For sure. You’d think he’d get 4- 5 defensive rebounds bounce right to him in 39 minutes.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
I can't tell you the scheme because I can't remember. ;) That said Matt wants one person to be towards the center of the court (width wise) to play D in transition. We know the rebounds Braden gets and the penetration he gets suggest it isn't him most the time. I don't think it is a particular person as that would hinder that players ability to drive the ball...and from my own personal perspective it wouldn't be the perimeter shooter since I want total focus on the shot...so I think it varies depending on "where" one is when taking the shot. I expect the 2 to be that most the time, but Braden could be that when the 2 is shooting or driving...unless Braden kicked it out to the 2 who ends up shooting and then the 3 man may be that person to head to the center of the court and get in position. I tried to search on centering the ball and think I have a blurb on it somewhere, but I have a lot of things...somewhere. ;)

I can't tell you the scheme because I can't remember. ;) That said Matt wants one person to be towards the center of the court (width wise) to play D in transition. We know the rebounds Braden gets and the penetration he gets suggest it isn't him most the time. I don't think it is a particular person as that would hinder that players ability to drive the ball...and from my own personal perspective it wouldn't be the perimeter shooter since I want total focus on the shot...so I think it varies depending on "where" one is when taking the shot. I expect the 2 to be that most the time, but Braden could be that when the 2 is shooting or driving...unless Braden kicked it out to the 2 who ends up shooting and then the 3 man may be that person to head to the center of the court and get in position. I tried to search on centering the ball and think I have a blurb on it somewhere, but I have a lot of things...somewhere. ;)
So it’s not all 3 of the 1-3 that have drop back assignments so it would not be unusual for the 3 to focus on rebounding at times? I have just noticed that Myles is in retreat when the shot is up and making no attempt to go for offensive boards.

So it’s not all 3 of the 1-3 that have drop back assignments so it would not be unusual for the 3 to focus on rebounding at times? I have just noticed that Myles is in retreat when the shot is up and making no attempt to go for offensive boards.
He said they normally dive the 4 and 5, have the 1 in the key hole, and drop the other 2 back.

Myles’ primary role in the offense is to stretch the floor as a shooter, so it is not at all surprising that Painter has him retreating and preventing easy transition buckets. It’s an important assignment.

On the defensive end, I have not watched closely, but I would not be overly concerned about the rebound numbers in limited minutes if he is boxing out his man.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Braden many times is not in position to do that since he is penetrating a lot. AND you can't say a position (number) must head to the center of the court to get in located to defend since that position (number) may be driving the ball. Matt has a video on this I believe, but I can't recall. I don't know how Matt thinks about the shooter getting back, but I would think total focus on making the shot would be his choice. When Lance, Fletcher and Braden are on the court...Lance may be a bit more 2 than 3 (Fletcher) due to how often he handles the ball. Then if Matt sees the other team sending everybody he might ensure 4 for Purdue are heading to the boards. I really don't know, but don't think a position would be that person, but a person on the perimeter that was not a shooter and already back a bit would be my guess and believe it is more of "what if"...

Matt's entire philosophy comes from the motion offense, which is a constant "what if." Do what you need to do based on what they do. Defense is the same. Take what they give you. If they are crashing 4, there is less need for more than one to drop back. If they are sending two and running back, then we need at least two, if not three running back. Decisions, decisions.

Maybe already known. With the addition of Jacobson in the 2024 class Purdue might have slowed on recruiting bigs for 2025.

Reibe article were we are not even mentioned as recruiting . https://247sports.com/college/baske...e-basketball-eric-reibe-ohio-state-222576583/
Yeah, I would think we'd more focused on forward (Sisley) or guard (Haralson --- if that's even possible) and if we were to look to add someone at the C spot for some reason MAYBE moreno (6'11 ).

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
That was it. Rosie Barnes. That is who I was thinking of.
I played baseball against Roosevelt. Still one of the best athletes ever out of Ft.Wayne.
His last year of little league his team won the city title (we were 3d!) and he was up 4 times in the championship game.
Had a single. And 3 home runs. He was close to 6' at 12 and never got much bigger.

Don’t have premium On3 but Haralson gave an update about Purdue. Think the graphic is funny since we are the odd one out.

Don’t have premium On3 but Haralson gave an update about Purdue. Think the graphic is funny since we are the odd one out.

Would Haralson start at Purdue from day one? Being the #9 recruit in the country I'd assume so, but assuming everyone is back he'd presumably be splitting time with a juniors Colvin and Heide (although Cam could play some 4 and Myles could probably play some 2).

Would Haralson start at Purdue from day one? Being the #9 recruit in the country I'd assume so, but assuming everyone is back he'd presumably be splitting time with a juniors Colvin and Heide (although Cam could play some 4 and Myles could probably play some 2).
I doubt he makes his mind up until spring of 2025. Because he doesn’t have to.

Yeah our backcourt would have seniors Smith and Loyer. Junior Heide and Colvin and Sophmore Harris and Cox. Minutes would be hard to come by. He is talented enough to be a day 1 starter.

Do you make that point because we'll have a better idea at that point if everyone is coming back?

Can't speak for him.
1. Situations on all teams in college basketball become known then.
2. Can see who exactly you would play with & how you might fit.
3. NIL deals get better as teams work out needs/demands. That's likely the real #1, but listed it 3rd.

Do you make that point because we'll have a better idea at that point if everyone is coming back?
Can't speak for him.
1. Situations on all teams in college basketball become known then.
2. Can see who exactly you would play with & how you might fit.
3. NIL deals get better as teams work out needs/demands. That's likely the real #1, but listed it 3rd.
Yep.

Top 10 players can wait till the last minute, and any school will still make room for them.

That gives them time to drive up the NIL price, and also to know exactly who they will, and won’t, be playing with.

Roughly the same collection of schools “led” for Flory - then Dollar Bill swooped in with his duffel bag.

What was written (may not be the whole story) it sounds like Auburn...maybe IU in the drivers seat. Has a LOT of respect for Matt and Purdue, but... is the way I read it
Possibly another 5-star talent wasted at IU? I'm sure every one of them thought they were going to change IU's direction. In fact, I'm sure they are told that during their recruitment.

I guess catchings (not sure he will get the minutes to put up numbers his first year, but never know) could MAYBE be gone and MAYBE Colvin (would have to have made a HUGE jump and have an outstanding sophomore campaign) could be gone.

Selfishly I hope we get two years with those guys…and I think we will now.

If Haralson somehow commits here, we definitely would be crowded and maybe Purdue knows that a little bit…since he’s close with Terry Johnson.

Other than money, I don’t see why he would go to IU—unless he doesn’t care about winning and playing in a not so great offensive scheme. Auburn with pearl is interesting. Could see him at MSU…since Izzo always poached kids from the Indy area. Doubt it’s ND unless shrews has something up his sleeve and gets Sisley and that makes Haralson want to go there….all speculation obviously.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
What was written (may not be the whole story) it sounds like Auburn...maybe IU in the drivers seat. Has a LOT of respect for Matt and Purdue, but... is the way I read it
I am totally baffled as to why ANYONE would desire to play for IU right now? Maybe not a Boiler, but good grief!!!

I am totally baffled as to why ANYONE would desire to play for IU right now? Maybe not a Boiler, but good grief!!!
Honestly, I can't see why you wouldn't want to play for Purdue. 3 straight years being ranked #1. We should be the desired program for any recruit.

Honestly, I can't see why you wouldn't want to play for Purdue. 3 straight years being ranked #1. We should be the desired program for any recruit.
playing time, fit. My son wished to go to a certain school, but he would have been behind too many great players and he wanted to play. We talked about being a part of a great and successful team. But practicing and sitting the bench is damned tough

Reactions: Poprudy
playing time, fit. My son wished to go to a certain school, but he would have been behind too many great players and he wanted to play. We talked about being a part of a great and successful team. But practicing and sitting the bench is damned tough
I agree but he's a top 10 player and should start day 1...if, he's that good. Our environment, coach and winning is why I feel this way.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT