ADVERTISEMENT

2019 O Line prospects

Who do we have as recruiting prospects for 2019 O Line? The rivals database shows these 2, but I'm certain there are more. TIA.

Marquise Simmons - Detroit
Luis Cristobal - Miami
247Sports shows a lot of offers out but who knows which ones we have a legit shot at.

3* #17 OG Justin Britt
from Warren Central is visiting next weekend. From what he has said in articles it is down to Purdue, Iowa, & IU. He has an OV with Iowa the last weekend of June and has not scheduled IU yet. I think it is going to come down to Purdue or Iowa for him and I do hope we get him.

Others that 247Sports show warm to us are:
3* #66 OT Kaleb Boateng (Ft. Lauderdale FL)
3* #27 OG Kyle Jornigan (Youngstown OH)
3* #31 OG Melvin McBride (Memphis TN)

247Sports has their Top 8 list of prospects from the State of Indiana for 2020. In it are 2 DT's, 1 OT, 1 OG, & 1 OC. So 5 out of their top 8 are lineman. I hope to hell Coach Brohm is all over them.

247Sports shows a lot of offers out but who knows which ones we have a legit shot at.

3* #17 OG Justin Britt
from Warren Central is visiting next weekend. From what he has said in articles it is down to Purdue, Iowa, & IU. He has an OV with Iowa the last weekend of June and has not scheduled IU yet. I think it is going to come down to Purdue or Iowa for him and I do hope we get him.

Others that 247Sports show warm to us are:
3* #66 OT Kaleb Boateng (Ft. Lauderdale FL)
3* #27 OG Kyle Jornigan (Youngstown OH)
3* #31 OG Melvin McBride (Memphis TN)
I wonder why Boateng hasn't committed yet.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Britt is a guy I'd really like to add. but for a bunch of different reasons. the first is because he's from Indiana, and I'd like to see Purdue start building pipelines with Indiana high schools, and bringing in the best players of this state. Purdue missed out on two Indiana linemen (Knight, Cronk)who both ended up going to and starting for IU during the Hazel era, and both had indicated they liked Purdue but signed elsewhere. the second is Brohm is going head to head against Iowa. I'd like to see Brohm winning those recruiting battles against other BIG 10 schools. I really am enthused Purdue, under Brohm has stopped competing with lesser schools and is targeting and recruiting the same players other successful BIG 10 schools are recruiting. and thirdly, he is a guy Brohm targeted early like Kiser and has been working very hard to bring to Purdue. I'd love to see Brohm close the deal.

and yes, I believe he'd also be a great, talented player.

OLine must be one of the most difficult positions to project a 17 year old. Mostly you are dealing with the question of who has the size/strength/agility to play the position. When a WR has 4.4 speed or a QB can throw the ball 50 yards on a dime those traits are normally evident by 17. But how many 17 year olds have reached their full size and strength? How many "big boys" are just beginning the process of converting bad weight to good weight? How many have the frame but need to stack on 40 or 50 pounds? It seems like most of the 4 and 5 star linemen are early bloomers by default. Not to say they won't end up being the best ones too, but there are likely others out there that will be just as good 2 or 3 years down the line.

OLine must be one of the most difficult positions to project a 17 year old. Mostly you are dealing with the question of who has the size/strength/agility to play the position. When a WR has 4.4 speed or a QB can throw the ball 50 yards on a dime those traits are normally evident by 17. But how many 17 year olds have reached their full size and strength? How many "big boys" are just beginning the process of converting bad weight to good weight? How many have the frame but need to stack on 40 or 50 pounds? It seems like most of the 4 and 5 star linemen are early bloomers by default. Not to say they won't end up being the best ones too, but there are likely others out there that will be just as good 2 or 3 years down the line.

In the book Meat Market about Ed Oregeon recruiting at Ole Miss talks about how hard it is to find good offensive tackles and that when his OL coach left Miami there was a “half dozen” OT misses

The first thing you want to try to figure out is the flexibility they have in their hips and lower back...similar to DB’s imo. If a big man can bend and move his hips well, it bodes really well from a tackle standpoint.

I remember watching Orlando Pace with my dad when OSU came to Purdue. My dad told me he didn’t care if tickets were $200 a piece, we were going to watch him play. He was an absolute monster but moved so incredible well for a guy that big. Incredible bend and flexibility in his lower half that allowed him to move and shift lineman while blocking in his chop in pass pro.

DB’s have to have similar bend imo in their need to back pedal and then turn their hips accordingly to the WR’s route. That’s one aspect that really separates good CB’s from elite CB’s. Look st Deion Sanders film to see his great hips and getting in and out of his backpedal.

The first thing you want to try to figure out is the flexibility they have in their hips and lower back...similar to DB’s imo. If a big man can bend and move his hips well, it bodes really well from a tackle standpoint.

I remember watching Orlando Pace with my dad when OSU came to Purdue. My dad told me he didn’t care if tickets were $200 a piece, we were going to watch him play. He was an absolute monster but moved so incredible well for a guy that big. Incredible bend and flexibility in his lower half that allowed him to move and shift lineman while blocking in his chop in pass pro.

DB’s have to have similar bend imo in their need to back pedal and then turn their hips accordingly to the WR’s route. That’s one aspect that really separates good CB’s from elite CB’s. Look st Deion Sanders film to see his great hips and getting in and out of his backpedal.
I understand what you’re saying. My point is how do you compare the guy who is 6’1” and 240 with good flexibility as a 17 year old but not done growing vs. a guy who has peaked at 6’6” and 300 with average flexibility?

I understand what you’re saying. My point is how do you compare the guy who is 6’1” and 240 with good flexibility as a 17 year old but not done growing vs. a guy who has peaked at 6’6” and 300 with average flexibility?
Very true. That would have been an awesome conversation to have with Joe Tiller. I think you would have to do some family history digging. For example, my oldest nephew is 6’8 and 240 pounds (didn’t play football his last year but was still offered by Duke, Air Force, and Syracuse as a split end/super back-ran a 4.8 40 yard dash...currently rehabbing form rotator cuff as a pitcher at Mercer). Anyways, nobody in our immediate family or his dad’s immediate family were taller than 6’3 and 200 pounds. But his grandparents on his dad’s side are Dutch and his grandmas brothers and uncles were all 6’5 or taller.

This is what got Tacos his offer to Purdue in that he was expected to grow to about 7’1 but got stuck around 6’10. Had he had those extra three inches and the likely bit of bulk that came with it, he would have been a monster to contain with his agility. But he stopped growing.

Some kids you can just see their build could handle added weight easily and others they’ll never be able to pack on good weight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT