ADVERTISEMENT

🤡. Californians told not to charge their cars

I responded to the initial article and said that it was a 4PM-9PM issue and tried to explain that a vast majority of people charge their cars when the grid is not taxed. Your title and the article both stated that we were told not to charge our cars as an absolute with the actual info in the article.

You and the others then turned it into the typical shitshow and I tapped out.

Of course, they need to invest in the grid, and with high temps and fire risk, there are additional issues to consider. I just live here and am not involved in the planning for electrical capacity in California. As a person who does actually live here, I am explaining what happens on a day to day basis as someone that has one electric car out of three.

As gr8 said, I really don't GAF where you live, but don't get the obsession of what is happening in CA. About 10% of the population of the US lives here, so something must be OK about it.

Government edicts aren't making people buy EVs. Battery tech aside, there are many non-environmental reasons why they are great cars for a lot of people (didn't say everyone). If they were such a terrible idea, why are all the global manufacturers of automobiles going all in on it?

Finally, even though it was a little stalkerish, I actually did laugh at your response on the paid board.
My OP was less about the article (I wouldn’t even call the article the “canary in the coal mine” but is certainly is an early indicator that a problem is around the corner) and really about what is the future going to be….see my last line that says…I wonder where we will be in two years. Sure, I put the clown moniker up, but the joke IMO is people putting out a goal to convert to EVs in 12 years and then not putting in the infrastructure to support the goal. And I didn’t have to look very hard for more information to support my statement.

But I get labeled as misleading. When actually what I stated about the article was true.

BTW, I didn’t agree with Trump when he removed the MPG requirements for manufactures. (I know….gasp….a “Trumper” who disagrees with a Trump policy). Nor did I agree with leaving the Paris Accord.

Depends which part. San Francisco and LA are hurting big time but Orange County and San Diego are wonderful areas to live
San Diego is fine, but relatively a small part. San Fran is probably the biggest shit hole in the country.

San Diego is fine, but relatively a small part. San Fran is probably the biggest shit hole in the country.
My aunt and cousin live in San Diego and for the most part is very nice. We lived in southern Orange County and loved it. If we hadn’t moved to Kauai last year, we would have been content to stay there. This comes from a guy who spent his first 32 years living in Indiana and 21 years living in Michigan. There’s still something special about CA. 10% of the population live there for a reason although the luster has faded there’s still pockets of good people and towns.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
My aunt and cousin live in San Diego and for the most part is very nice. We lived in southern Orange County and loved it. If we hadn’t moved to Kauai last year, we would have been content to stay there. This comes from a guy who spent his first 32 years living in Indiana and 21 years living in Michigan. There’s still something special about CA. 10% of the population live there for a reason although the luster has faded there’s still pockets of good people and towns.
People live there for the the weather. They are leaving in mass for the state politics.

I’m saying that a plan to convert to all EVs by 2035 is a flawed plan without a solution to fix the electrical grid and a plan to add electrical power capacity. Especially with Lake Mead at it lowest level in 80 years (?)
Not really sure what Lake Mead has to do with electrical grid in CA. The power generated by the dam is less than a drop in the bucket here.

And yes, I agree. Grid issues need to be addressed to increase capacity before 2035. Here’s guessing they they miss some of these deadlines as they have with renewable energy. Again, that doesn’t make it something that should not be pursued.

Fox tells you what to think and what to be upset about. So nothing has changed on that. I don’t understand your obsession with a state 2000 miles from you. I couldn’t give two flying ****s about politics whereever you live.

Finally, I didn’t respond to your original post. I responded to the part where people somehow couldn’t fathom not charging your car when power is the most expensive… or that mode EVs allow you to program when they charge. In other words, the car charging edict means nothing to most people who possess a modicum of common sense.

So, again, I don’t really care what you think. You don’t live here. Feel free to point and laugh if you want. Every time I come back to where you live, I do.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Question:
Why are you asking me what the fix is? And why do you care so much? Do you live in CA?

Answer:
The interesting thing is that often things happen in CA before they happen elsewhere in the US. So whatever solution CA comes up with for its grid, you can bet it is probably going to spread elsewhere, just as electric cars have. I know the answer is nuclear, but I’m not in charge.

Not really sure what Lake Mead has to do with electrical grid in CA. The power generated by the dam is less than a drop in the bucket here.

And yes, I agree. Grid issues need to be addressed to increase capacity before 2035. Here’s guessing they they miss some of these deadlines as they have with renewable energy. Again, that doesn’t make it something that should not be pursued.

Fox tells you what to think and what to be upset about. So nothing has changed on that. I don’t understand your obsession with a state 2000 miles from you. I couldn’t give two flying ****s about politics whereever you live.

Finally, I didn’t respond to your original post. I responded to the part where people somehow couldn’t fathom not charging your car when power is the most expensive… or that mode EVs allow you to program when they charge. In other words, the car charging edict means nothing to most people who possess a modicum of common sense.

So, again, I don’t really care what you think. You don’t live here. Feel free to point and laugh if you want. Every time I come back to where you live, I do.
I guess enough energy to supply 1.3MM Angelenos might disagree. From what I’ve read, if the level of Lake Mead was at its full capacity, the power of the Hoover Dam would 50% higher (it’s power generation has been reduced by roughly 33% since 2000 when the level drop due to drought)

Moreover, the Bureau of Reclamation statesthat Hoover Dam produces 4 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity per year, which sounds like a lot. But that’s only enough to cover 1.3 million households, or roughly a third of all Angelenos.

Decline in electricity generation since year 2000.

From what I’ve read, if the level of Lake Mead was at its full capacity, the power of the Hoover Dam would 50% higher (it’s power generation has been reduced by roughly 33% since 2000 when the level drop due to drought.

I wonder how many windmills and Solar panels that is? I figured that you are a big Biden fan/Climate change supporter, you would be all knowledgeable.

I guess enough energy to supply 1.3MM Angelenos might disagree.
But the power doesn’t only go to LA. It goes to Nevada, Arizona, and LA county. About 40% of the power made by Hoover dam goes to CA. It provides power to like 300,000 people in LA county and more to a few smaller locations in Fresno County. There are 39,000,000 people in CA. So Lake Mead affects power to around 1% of CA.

Math is hard.

I wonder how many windmills and Solar panels that is? I figured that you are a big Biden fan/Climate change supporter, you would be all knowledgeable.
I would replace wind and solar with nuclear, as I have said three times now. Read what I wrote.

Bottom line: the country is coming off of fossil fuels. It’s gonna happen. Embrace it and find solutions. Sitting around talking about dumb you think it is isn’t going to stop it from happening. Nationwide. Worldwide. Deal with it.

• Haha
I would replace wind and solar with nuclear, as I have said three times now. Read what I wrote.

Bottom line: the country is coming off of fossil fuels. It’s gonna happen. Embrace it and find solutions. Sitting around talking about dumb you think it is isn’t going to stop it from happening.
I never said I wasn’t embracing it, I’ve said fossil fuels are a “bridge” to renewables. My chuckle is the natural gas powered electricity that California is planning to use isnt renewable.

And when is California putting in its nuclear plant? It doesn’t sound like Newsom is doing anything you are suggesting…in fact CA appears to be going off nuclear power unless they save their last plant, which is the result of being desperate to find capacity (🤔 wow, I thought people were saying CA had plenty of capacity). The article below paints a different picture.

I never said I wasn’t embracing it, I’ve said fossil fuels are a “bridge” to renewables. My chuckle is the natural gas powered electricity that California is planning to use isnt renewable.

And when is California putting in its nuclear plant? It doesn’t sound like Newsom is doing anything you are suggesting…in fact CA appears to be going off nuclear power unless they save their last plant, which is the result of being desperate to find capacity (🤔 wow, I thought people were saying CA had plenty of capacity). The article below paints a different picture.

California is doing what you said: keeping natural gas plants online to bridge to renewables.

I am aware of what CA is doing with its nuclear plants. As I have said before, shuttering those plants is stupid. It is happening nationwide and is due to bipartisan idiocy. Newsom is a complete ****stick and I have never voted for him and never will.

Nothing you are quoting in this thread is news to me, man. It’s like you’re literally tilting at windmills. 🤣

I think you think you’re arguing with some progressive liberal because I live in California and didn’t vote for Donald Trump. You couldn’t be more incorrect about that.

California is doing what you said: keeping natural gas plants online to bridge to renewables.

I am aware of what CA is doing with its nuclear plants. As I have said before, shuttering those plants is stupid. It is happening nationwide and is due to bipartisan idiocy. Newsom is a complete ****stick and I have never voted for him and never will.

Nothing you are quoting in this thread is news to me, man. It’s like you’re literally tilting at windmills. 🤣

I think you think you’re arguing with some progressive liberal because I live in California and didn’t vote for Donald Trump. You couldn’t be more incorrect about that.
No, I’m arguing because I made a point about “wondering where CA would be in 2 yrs” and you said “my simple mind couldn’t understand peak hours”. The article made a point about peak hours…that wasn’t what my original post was about. Tman said, I didn’t and you both change the conversation to be about peak hours not about capacity constraints and future capacity issues.

Then you went to say something to the effect of, all fine in SD. And that may very well be, but CA has to address some electrical capacity issuues and needs to make them quickly.

And I have link several articles indicating the same.

Bottom line: the country is coming off of fossil fuels. It’s gonna happen. Embrace it and find solutions. Sitting around talking about dumb you think it is isn’t going to stop it from happening. Nationwide. Worldwide. Deal with it.
You're saying the nation, even the world, is coming off fossil fuels? You couldn't be more wrong.

You are even more oblivious than I thought.

No, I’m arguing because I made a point about “wondering where CA would be in 2 yrs” and you said “my simple mind couldn’t understand peak hours”. The article made a point about peak hours…that wasn’t what my original post was about. Tman said, I didn’t and you both change the conversation to be about peak hours not about capacity constraints and future capacity issues.

Then you went to say something to the effect of, all fine in SD. And that may very well be, but CA has to address some electrical capacity issuues and needs to make them quickly.

And I have link several articles indicating the same.
And I have yet to disagree with you about the CA grid. But am betting they figure it out.

So again, you’re arguing with no one. And again, 4-9 charging isn’t a big deal. Stop being butt hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT