ADVERTISEMENT

🤡. Californians told not to charge their cars

TheGunner

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
And people said that all of the all of these electric cars would choke the electric grid. That’s just crazy(TIC🤪)

🤦‍♂️….🤪

but it’s ok to fuel up your gas guzzler if you are willing to pay the Biden surcharge 🤡

I wonder where we will be in 2 years

Last edited:
Misleading.

"During a Flex Alert, consumers are urged to reduce energy use from 4-9 p.m. when the system is most stressed because demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available," the release said.

If you are charging your car from 4-9 PM at any time, you are an idiot. Midnight-6 is still the cheapest time and has nothing to do with this article.

Additionally, if you have a two-way charging setup, you could use your car battery to run your house from 4-9 and take even more stress off the grid.

Reactions: Bill4411
Misleading.

"During a Flex Alert, consumers are urged to reduce energy use from 4-9 p.m. when the system is most stressed because demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available," the release said.

If you are charging your car from 4-9 PM at any time, you are an idiot. Midnight-6 is still the cheapest time and has nothing to do with this article.

Additionally, if you have a two-way charging setup, you could use your car battery to run your house from 4-9 and take even more stress off the grid.
🤔Agreed. Everyone is being misled in believing that our electrical grid is up to the task of everyone driving electric cars by 2035.

Texas is doing everything it can to take take in refugees from California in an effort to bailout the CA governments lack of planning.

Misleading.

Wait, what? From 12-6 I plug my car into my house. From 4-9 I plug my house into my car?
So I have to wake up at 2 in the morning to charge my car?
Do you honestly think this a solution?

Last edited:
Wait, what? From 12-6 I plug my car into my house. From 4-9 I plug my house into my car?

You would be pissing money away if you charge your car from 4-9, so anyone with an electric vehicle charges their car at night when it is 20% of the cost.

The other point was that there are very good solutions that utilize batteries to feed the grid during the high load/expensive periods. People use powerwalls for this currently, but the batteries in vehicles are large enough that you can utilize your 100KW battery to feed the grid that was charged when there was a much lighter load and save a ton of money on your power bill.

You would be pissing money away if you charge your car from 4-9, so anyone with an electric vehicle charges their car at night when it is 20% of the cost.

The other point was that there are very good solutions that utilize batteries to feed the grid during the high load/expensive periods. People use powerwalls for this currently, but the batteries in vehicles are large enough that you can utilize your 100KW battery to feed the grid that was charged when there was a much lighter load and save a ton of money on your power bill.

So **** third shift.

Are these your batteries?

Reactions: TheGunner
🤔Agreed. Everyone is being misled in believing that our electrical grid is up to the task of everyone driving electric cars by 2035.

Texas is doing everything it can to take take in refugees from California in an effort to bailout the CA governments lack of planning.
I state a way the battery technology can take stress off grids and that’s your response. Cool

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
What does this have anything to do with the original post? Please comment on if a hot dog is a sandwich or not.

Easy. You need batteries for EV. Cali has ran out of the E part of the equation. In an attempt to save the climate you have to strip mine lithium. It creates toxic, unusable land.

Did I blow your mind?

Easy. You need batteries for EV. Cali has ran out of the E part of the equation. In an attempt to save the climate you have have stip mine lithium.

Did I blow your mind?
It is 105 degrees here. We get these temperatures probably 10 days a year. Hence they are telling people to not charge for 5 hours out of 24. But you think battery technology won’t improve, so you changed the subject. Whatever man.

What does this have anything to do with the original post? Please comment on if a hot dog is a sandwich or not.

There is some NSFW language, but this clip from HBO’s Silicone Valley just needed to be added to this thread.

Reactions: TMan92
I state a way the battery technology can take stress off grids and that’s your response. Cool
The guys who try to be witty and play gotcha just show how their simple minds can’t fathom easily understood things like peak hours.

Now, I have solar panels. I can charge till 7pm or so and still be net producing power. But like you said, why the **** would I set my car to charge between 4-9 if not on solar.

Oh by the way: zero flex alerts; zero water issues in San Diego. Stop watching Fox, dipshits.

The guys who try to be witty and play gotcha just show how their simple minds can’t fathom easily understood things like peak hours.

Now, I have solar panels. I can charge till 7pm or so and still be net producing power. But like you said, why the **** would I set my car to charge between 4-9 if not on solar.

Oh by the way: zero flex alerts; zero water issues in San Diego. Stop watching Fox, dipshits.

Look Local 415 IBEW. You just have to charge your fleet at 2 in the morning.

Take it from me, I am a San Diego personal trainer.

The DC metro does this bullshit. They **** anyone who works 9 to 5 ish with peak on peak charges. Ridership steadily declined after they implemented it roughly 2010. Then they tolled ALL of I-66 into and out of the city. Pigs, all of them who do nothing to help the average person. Liberal leadership.

So **** third shift.

Are these your batteries?

Nah, electric cars are going to save the world, don’t worry about the pollution in South America. Repeat after me…..Climate Change, Climate Change, Climate Change.

….because removing these raw materials can result in soil degradation, water shortages, biodiversity loss, damage to ecosystem functions and an increase in global warming.

I always find it funny when the climate change Democrats mislead by only telling the benefits of electric cars and failing to inform the public where the lithium comes from and the damage that is being done to the plant. I’m sure the climate alarmists are going relocate and live downstream of the salt mines in South America.

The Democrats will tackle the lithium and nickel mine pollution in 2045 after Joe and Gavin deliver on their campaign promises in 2035.

Don’t even get me started on Californians and where they get their water.

who is ruining the planet? Ahh, yes, the gas guzzling Republicans😉. So convert all vehicles to EVs.

Last edited:
In 2025, the state will still have a capacity shortfall of about 1,800 MW, according to officials from the California Energy Commission, Public Utilities Commission, California Independent System Operator and Newsom's office.

It’s only three years away….but I mislead😉

What happens after 2025…the magical Biden will swoop down with an electricity capacity forgiveness bill and all will be merry again. Scratch that, Gavin with keep those old inefficient natural gas power plants on line, because how else are Californians going to make up for the electrical shortfall. Maybe by then, the Ukraine War will be over and the Democrats will convince Putin to run a natural gas pipeline to California. 🤷‍♂️

BTW, when is Californian putting in desalination plants?

Last edited:
They're also about to be told not to use their water, despite gr8s claim, san diego has San Vicente, but the rest of the state is on the verge of mandatory water restrictions. Gov already asking for voluntary restrictions. Got nothing to do with Fox, sorry!

Reactions: ecouch
They're also about to be told not to use their water, despite gr8s claim, san diego has San Vicente, but the rest of the state is on the verge of mandatory water restrictions. Gov already asking for voluntary restrictions. Got nothing to do with Fox, sorry!
Yeah, it's really a shame the CA Democrats ever though it was a good idea to cause a drought. I mean, how dumb was that decision, amirite?

Reactions: Bill4411

So San Diego has the second highest water rates in the country and imports 80% of its water which means you are at the mercy of other municipalities. And for a time this year had the highest electricity rates in the US including Hawaii. So we all love to hear about how successful you are and you can afford solar panels that 90% of your fellow San Diegoans (sp) cant but for the average working class resident water and power costs is an issue and only going to get worse.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/local/2022/05/26/san-diego-electricity-rates-show-no-signs-of-coming-down
Nah, electric cars are going to save the world, don’t worry about the pollution in South America. Repeat after me…..Climate Change, Climate Change, Climate Change.

….because removing these raw materials can result in soil degradation, water shortages, biodiversity loss, damage to ecosystem functions and an increase in global warming.

I always find it funny when the climate change Democrats mislead by only telling the benefits of electric cars and failing to inform the public where the lithium comes from and the damage that is being done to the plant. I’m sure the climate alarmists are going relocate and live downstream of the salt mines in South America.

The Democrats will tackle the lithium and nickel mine pollution in 2045 after Joe and Gavin deliver on their campaign promises in 2035.

Don’t even get me started on Californians and where they get their water.

who is ruining the planet? Ahh, yes, the gas guzzling Republicans😉. So convert all vehicles to EVs.
correct. San Diego imports 80% of its water capacity and pays some of the highest water rates in the country. They are captive to others and being on the right side of water rights law suits. Their electricity rates bounces at being the highest in ALL states. So for the small percentage of people who can afford solar panels, great. But for working class this is an issue.

Tone Deaf much?

Reactions: ecouch
So San Diego has the second highest water rates in the country and imports 80% of its water which means you are at the mercy of other municipalities. And for a time this year had the highest electricity rates in the US including Hawaii. So we all love to hear about how successful you are and you can afford solar panels that 90% of your fellow San Diegoans (sp) cant but for the average working class resident water and power costs is an issue and only going to get worse.
Then don’t live here!

Importing our water also means we aren’t worried about the Colorado river and beholden to LA. See if you actually knew what you were talking about, you would know that no matter what, San Diego has always been beholden to others with respect to water. Formerly LA county via the aqueducts from Colorado River, but back in the 80s, SD divested themselves of that to large extent and that is why it remains one of the few places in CA that isn’t as worried about the water supply issue. That and desalination plants in the county help.

Again, I know it’s expensive here. That’s OK. I make that CHOICE to live and do business here. We love it! Enjoy your winter and your humidity and tornados and whatever else. I don’t need your approval and didn’t ask for your opinion on literally ANYTHING. If we move, we will be able to afford whatever we want basically anywhere in the country because we live well below our means and have owned property in SoCal for 12 years. So we are good with our situation, thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
It is 105 degrees here. We get these temperatures probably 10 days a year. Hence they are telling people to not charge for 5 hours out of 24. But you think battery technology won’t improve, so you changed the subject. Whatever man.
Wait.....are we all still gonna die from global warming by 2040? I just want to make sure I plan my vacation schedule accordingly.

Right that's the only variable here. You're so smart. Keep letting the Saudis grow alfalfa.
Wait so it's CA Democrats' fault that the farms in a region of the state get to use all the water they want and at a flat rate thanks to a Federal water rights grant from 1877?

Now, if it was a state-level decision whether or not to allow Almarai to purchase the land in the first place, I'll give you that, but then Arizona's Republican government would be at fault, too. I'm not saying there's only one variable, but the fundamental problem is the drought of, basically, 20 years or so.

IMO it boils down to geographic location and infrastructure. In Kauai solar is a no brainer. We have abundance of year round sunshine and the island is relatively small. Kauai is leading the nation in becoming energy self sufficient. Last November we installed 42 solar panels with 2 Tesla storage batteries in our garage which allow for us to be self sufficient along with permitting us to sell excess energy back to the county.

There are more charging stations on island for cars but not nearly enough if the island were to go 100% EV. For us and other homeowners it would be no problem to charge at home but the problem is not everyone can afford this technology and it also isn’t readily available now. I’m convinced we’ll get there but believe it’s a mistake to mandate 100% EV until the charging infrastructure is in place and vehicles are affordable and capable.

In the Southwest it’ll happen sooner due to the weather but in the upper Midwest it’ll be tougher. The good news is there’s technology being developed that will allow EV charging to be done while driving on the road along with wireless charging mats but that’s years away before becoming widely available.

Bottom line, common sense needs to be applied. For areas that have weather and infrastructure, it makes sense but for other areas not so much. Finally if the goal is to reduce the carbon footprint, it may create a larger carbon footprint by mandating these blanket EV requirements.

In Florida it’s about a 10 year break even. It doesn’t really affect the selling price of a home and most homes turn over every 6 years (I think this is what I’ve been told). So this technology currently is limited in its return on investment to those who will be in a home at least 10 more years.

In Florida it’s about a 10 year break even. It doesn’t really affect the selling price of a home and most homes turn over every 6 years (I think this is what I’ve been told). So this technology currently is limited in its return on investment to those who will be in a home at least 10 more years.
Definitely determined by where you live, energy requirements and utility rate. Hawaiian utility rates are higher than many mainland locations. We were told our payback would be approximately 6 years. Based on our current usage, it appears our payback will be around 7 years.

Reactions: CWS
Then don’t live here!

Importing our water also means we aren’t worried about the Colorado river and beholden to LA. See if you actually knew what you were talking about, you would know that no matter what, San Diego has always been beholden to others with respect to water. Formerly LA county via the aqueducts from Colorado River, but back in the 80s, SD divested themselves of that to large extent and that is why it remains one of the few places in CA that isn’t as worried about the water supply issue. That and desalination plants in the county help.

Again, I know it’s expensive here. That’s OK. I make that CHOICE to live and do business here. We love it! Enjoy your winter and your humidity and tornados and whatever else. I don’t need your approval and didn’t ask for your opinion on literally ANYTHING. If we move, we will be able to afford whatever we want basically anywhere in the country because we live well below our means and have owned property in SoCal for 12 years. So we are good with our situation, thanks.
Climate alarmists would likely take exception with the fossil fuels required transport SD it’s water, but I’m sure you have a great excuse for that. That’s very Republican of you.

Misleading.

In 2025, the state will still have a capacity shortfall of about 1,800 MW, according to officials from the California Energy Commission, Public Utilities Commission, California Independent System Operator and Newsom's office.

It’s only 2 1/2 years away….but I mislead😉

@TMan92 No snappy comeback? Do you not want to argue about the facts in the article?

@gr8indoorsman How about you? Any “witty” retort regarding the article I posted above. What’s the plan to address the electrical shortfall after 2025? That’s 10 years before the 2035 deadline California set for all vehicles being sold to be EVs. I imagine that will further strain the electrical grid that is stated to have a shortfall in 2025. Is that a “gotcha” article being spun by Reuters?

@TMan92 No snappy comeback? Do you not want to argue about the facts in the article?

@gr8indoorsman How about you? Any “witty” retort regarding the article I posted above. What’s the plan to address the electrical shortfall after 2025? That’s 10 years before the 2035 deadline California set for all vehicles being sold to be EVs. I imagine that will further strain the electrical grid that is stated to have a shortfall in 2025. Is that a “gotcha” article being spun by Reuters?

The interesting thing is that often things happen in CA before they happen elsewhere in the US. So whatever solution CA comes up with for its grid, you can bet it is probably going to spread elsewhere, just as electric cars have. I know the answer is nuclear, but I’m not in charge.
Newsom said the state was open to keeping its remaining nuclear power plant running to maintain reliability, appeared to lay the groundwork for an effort to keep older facilities -- some of which are powered by natural gas -- online.
And here’s the thing: being ambitious with a project of this scale isn’t wrong. You guys get pissed that we don’t have the capacity to come off of fossil fuel, but sitting around on fossil fuel isn’t going to make that happen. At some point, you take the plunge. Mistakes are made when you’re trying new things, but eventually they will figure the grid out here on sustainable non-fossil fuel. It’s going to happen. Probably not by 2025, it that doesn’t make the endeavor a failure nor one not worth doing.

And again: we know the answer- it’s nuclear, but people are afraid of it… on both sides.

Why are you asking me what the fix is? And why do you care so much? Do you live in CA? Are you trying to convince us all to move? I checked out of this thread a while back and had no intent on engaging it again. Said my piece already. We are happy here. You? No one is asking you to come out. Please don’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuilderBob6

I responded to the initial article and said that it was a 4PM-9PM issue and tried to explain that a vast majority of people charge their cars when the grid is not taxed. Your title and the article both stated that we were told not to charge our cars as an absolute with the actual info in the article.

You and the others then turned it into the typical shitshow and I tapped out.

Of course, they need to invest in the grid, and with high temps and fire risk, there are additional issues to consider. I just live here and am not involved in the planning for electrical capacity in California. As a person who does actually live here, I am explaining what happens on a day to day basis as someone that has one electric car out of three.

As gr8 said, I really don't GAF where you live, but don't get the obsession of what is happening in CA. About 10% of the population of the US lives here, so something must be OK about it.

Government edicts aren't making people buy EVs. Battery tech aside, there are many non-environmental reasons why they are great cars for a lot of people (didn't say everyone). If they were such a terrible idea, why are all the global manufacturers of automobiles going all in on it?

Finally, even though it was a little stalkerish, I actually did laugh at your response on the paid board.

So I have to wake up at 2 in the morning to charge my car?
You plug the car in anytime and schedule your car to start charging at 2 AM. You don't get up and physically do anything.

Government edicts aren't making people buy EVs. Battery tech aside, there are many non-environmental reasons why they are great cars for a lot of people (didn't say everyone). If they were such a terrible idea, why are all the global manufacturers of automobiles going all in on
Government edicts are forcing manufacturers to go electric, thus forcing people to buy them. The fact that you don't understand what's been happening since Obama says a lot.
Here's what Resident Dumbledork had for BBB. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...-leadership-forward-on-clean-cars-and-trucks/
Gov uses the epa, dot, and other authorities to force this upon us.

Reactions: SKYDOG
The interesting thing is that often things happen in CA before they happen elsewhere in the US. So whatever solution CA comes up with for its grid, you can bet it is probably going to spread elsewhere, just as electric cars have. I know the answer is nuclear, but I’m not in charge.

And here’s the thing: being ambitious with a project of this scale isn’t wrong. You guys get pissed that we don’t have the capacity to come off of fossil fuel, but sitting around on fossil fuel isn’t going to make that happen. At some point, you take the plunge. Mistakes are made when you’re trying new things, but eventually they will figure the grid out here on sustainable non-fossil fuel. It’s going to happen. Probably not by 2025, it that doesn’t make the endeavor a failure nor one not worth doing.

And again: we know the answer- it’s nuclear, but people are afraid of it… on both sides.

Why are you asking me what the fix is? And why do you care so much? Do you live in CA? Are you trying to convince us all to move? I checked out of this thread a while back and had no intent on engaging it again. Said my piece already. We are happy here. You? No one is asking you to come out. Please don’t.
I’m saying that a plan to convert to all EVs by 2035 is a flawed plan without a solution to fix the electrical grid and a plan to add electrical power capacity. Especially with Lake Mead at it lowest level in 80 years (?)

Ill add that even if the plan starts today, the capacity won’t be added for 3-5 years.

That was my OP (read the last line that says…I wonder where we will be in 2 years) and your response was that I’m “witty and play gotcha just show how their simple minds can’t fathom easily”👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT