ADVERTISEMENT

Zags 26. Tarleton St. 25 at half

I still can't understand why people think they are on a God type level. They are clearly a talented team, but they are not a good shooting team. Timme is a good post player, and a solid defender that can defend the perimeter, but he isn't a player that can stretch the d, and he's not terribly big. He hussels and that gets him a lot of easy points which is a credit to him but I personally don't think he is an elite center on the national level. Their guard play is fast, big ,and can really get going, but can go ice cold too since as a group they aren't a good shooting team. Any team can have a n off night but to this point they certainly arent looking good.

I'm not saying they are a crap team, far from it, but I think they are a top 15 team not a clear number one seed.

I watched Tarleton play Michigan and give them all kinds of fits.

They defend and stay committed to their game plan of making their opponent defend for nearly the duration of the shot clock. Interesting strategy.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I still can't understand why people think they are on a God type level. They are clearly a talented team, but they are not a good shooting team. Timme is a good post player, and a solid defender that can defend the perimeter, but he isn't a player that can stretch the d, and he's not terribly big. He hussels and that gets him a lot of easy points which is a credit to him but I personally don't think he is an elite center on the national level. Their guard play is fast, big ,and can really get going, but can go ice cold too since as a group they aren't a good shooting team. Any team can have a n off night but to this point they certainly arent looking good.

I'm not saying they are a crap team, far from it, but I think they are a top 15 team not a clear number one seed.
Gonzaga is really good. They are easily one of the top 5 teams in the nation. Holmgren has a nice skill set for someone that tall. He may be rail thin but highly skilled and doesn’t need to be a banger down low

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Gonzaga is really good. They are easily one of the top 5 teams in the nation. Holmgren has a nice skill set for someone that tall. He may be rail thin but highly skilled and doesn’t need to be a banger down low
Gonzaga has 2 bigs that are going to be drafted. Holmgren goes 1 or 2 at some point. Timme is probably in the 2nd round or late 1st but he's really good at the college level. Lots of talent at guard too. They don't defend at an elite level, but they are still going to get top 5 votes no matter what.

Gonzaga has 2 bigs that are going to be drafted. Holmgren goes 1 or 2 at some point. Timme is probably in the 2nd round or late 1st but he's really good at the college level. Lots of talent at guard too. They don't defend at an elite level, but they are still going to get top 5 votes no matter what.
Nobody has said they were not good but Duke was put on the same pedestal as Gonzaga because they beat them. I’ve seen stupid posts online saying Gonzaga could beat the Chicago Bulls. Duke went around Purdue based on beating an “NBA playoff team”. That same team struggled at home to defeat Tarleton St. As you have pointed out, Gonzaga is flawed like everyone else and not they are not what people thought they were.

Same can be said about Purdue’s flaws. Defense needs to reach a higher level. Beating Gonzaga was nice but not much more than beating NC and Villanova back to back days on a neutral floor.

Nobody has said they were not good but Duke was put on the same pedestal as Gonzaga because they beat them. I’ve seen stupid posts online saying Gonzaga could beat the Chicago Bulls. Duke went around Purdue based on beating an “NBA playoff team”. That same team struggled at home to defeat Tarleton St. As you have pointed out, Gonzaga is flawed like everyone else and not they are not what people thought they were.

Same can be said about Purdue’s flaws. Defense needs to reach a higher level. Beating Gonzaga was nice but not much more than beating NC and Villanova back to back days on a neutral floor.
Gonzaga seems like a finesse team to me. I am not particularly impressed with them on defense. They are just as beatable as the other top 5 teams. Holmgren hit the floor hard several times in the Duke game. He doesn't strike me as a Center. Gonzaga would struggle to defend us. I wouldn't be surprised if they got in foul trouble early against us.

If this is the only Gonzaga game you have watched you need to watch more Gonzaga games then edit your posts….Really poor sampling if only Tarleton State game.

Seems to me that people view Gonzaga as being better than they are because they know they are going to end up with a great record due to playing in a weak conference. That doesn't really matter come tournament time. I do not think they are as good as last year. Holmgren is terrific but Suggs+Kispert>Holmgren

If this is the only Gonzaga game you have watched you need to watch more Gonzaga games then edit your posts….Really poor sampling if only Tarleton State game.
They've looked pretty beatable in a few games now, and of course did lose to Duke. They really only looked incredibly impressive vs UCLA

Gonzaga is really good
Duke is really good
Purdue is really good

All this dissection of individual games and quibbling over some AP votes comes across as petty and obsessive. The season is still very young. I can imagine the same comments by Gonzaga fans when Purdue comes out flat in a game against a lesser opponent. And that WILL happen. Like Painter said, his is goal is to have the #1 team at the end of the season. Meanwhile, this team is in elite company folks. Let's enjoy the ride.

Gonzaga seems like a finesse team to me. I am not particularly impressed with them on defense. They are just as beatable as the other top 5 teams. Holmgren hit the floor hard several times in the Duke game. He doesn't strike me as a Center. Gonzaga would struggle to defend us. I wouldn't be surprised if they got in foul trouble early against us.
Bingo - when watching the Duke game, they laid out the blueprint to beat Gonzaga which is go right at Chet. If/when we play them, I am sure we will scheme to get him 1v1 with Zach/Tre and get some quick fouls. He is a good shot blocker but uses his hand a lot against bigger/stronger guys

Gonzaga is really good
Duke is really good
Purdue is really good

All this dissection of individual games and quibbling over some AP votes comes across as petty and obsessive. The season is still very young. I can imagine the same comments by Gonzaga fans when Purdue comes out flat in a game against a lesser opponent. And that WILL happen. Like Painter said, his is goal is to have the #1 team at the end of the season. Meanwhile, this team is in elite company folks. Let's enjoy the ride.
Agreed. Poll watching in November is for entertainment purposes only. Purdue will no doubt hit a stretch where they struggle at some point. That happens to every team. The goal is to keep getting better and be at their peak in the second half of March.

Agreed. Poll watching in November is for entertainment purposes only. Purdue will no doubt hit a stretch where they struggle at some point. That happens to every team. The goal is to keep getting better and be at their peak in the second half of March.
Maybe a specific game- there will not be a stretch. Thus sayeth me lol

• Wow
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Anecdotally, Purdue seems to hit a rough spot every year around 1st semester final exams and the holidays. Seems they regularly lose a game they shouldn't. There are a few tough games going into finals, but then some expected sure wins over the holidays. Just stay focused.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT