ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another perspective...

Bob Sienicki

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 2, 2004
Camp Verde, AZ
on what Brohm said and didn't say about the UL job opening...

Sure, the natural tendency for fans, when their coach refuses to squelch rumors of leaving, is to assume the worst, that the non-denial is evidence that the coach MUST be considering the jump.

And perhaps this time it is.

But if all of us with any memory will recall, that is exactly what happened last year. And Brohm did not leave. In fact, in a recent interview, he laid out, in very plain terms, a clue regarding what may be his real motivation for not killing the rumors this time around...

(courtesy of GBI)
"Various reports last winter connected Brohm's name as a candidate to the opening at Tennessee. Brohm was quick to point out Thursday night that not only did he not leave the Boilermakers program after his first year but recruiting interest increased after that coaching carousel hype.

'I don't think I had a problem dealing with it last year to be honest with you. People think I'm exaggerating but our recruiting went in this direction,' Brohm said as he pointed his pen straight up in the sky. 'Any little thing that you can do to give your program credibility in the eyes of 17- and 18-year-olds across the country has an effect.'"

Jeff Brohm is clearly a very smart man. And he likely knows that if he came right out in the middle of this current media firestorm and killed the rumors, the media would simply move on to the next name on the list - and the Brohm/Purdue PR moment would have passed. End of story.

But by letting the rumors fly, the media attention remains fixated on Brohm and Purdue for at least a couple more weeks - as the media continues to sing Brohm's praises and further build his credibility with recruits that may still be on the fence. If true, this strategy by Brohm would be brilliant.

And considering Milton Wright committed when all this speculation was reaching a fever pitch, perhaps this is a measure of proof of that strategy. After all, being from Louisville, Wright knew what was happening with UL and Petrino. He could see the writing on the wall. And he would have known Brohm would be UL's first choice to replace Petrino.

Yet Wright could have merely waited to let things settle out. I mean, if you're only interested in committing to the coach, why commit to Purdue??? He could have told Brohm that he was ready to commit, but wanted to see where Brohm ended up, first.

But he didn't.

And while verbals can be written off, like so many hand-wringing UL fans are doing, it just does not make sense for Wright to commit publicly to the school that Brohm is supposedly leaving, especially when he absolutely did not need to.

Jeff Brohm is very much of a straight shooter, and will say exactly how he feels. But the media doesn't know that - or care, for that matter. They just care about the hot story and generating clicks. And as long as Brohm deflects, the story will not go away, and neither will the PR and credibility for both Brohm and Purdue.

Brilliant.

JMHOAU

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking similar things the other day. "There's no such thing as bad publicity".

I think the longer this drags on, the better for Purdue. Going to Louisville would be an emotional response. By any rational measure, Purdue is the better job. The longer he has to contemplate the options, the more I like Purdue's chances.

Reactions: SKYDOG and ChuckJr
Yeah I was thinking similar things the other day. "There's no such thing as bad publicity".

I think the longer this drags on, the better for Purdue. Going to Louisville would be an emotional response. By any rational measure, Purdue is the better job. The longer he has to contemplate the options, the more I like Purdue's chances.

There is nothing to contemplate at this point. He will not be offered the job until after the iu game. He’s not discussed nf speculation which could mean a couple things from he’s leaving to he’s staying.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but Purdue has been to the Rose Bowl and nationally ranked during the time period that you cited. That is quite unusual for a "doormat.' I do wonder how you would then classify the IU program given your standards.

Of course, an alternative explanation is that you have your head up your butt.

If Brohm passes on the UL job all it means is he is holding out for something bigger several years from now if, and only if, his Purdue success grows. He has been really good given what he inherited but blue bloods don’t come calling until he produces 9+ wins in a season.

Sure, the natural tendency for fans, when their coach refuses to squelch rumors of leaving, is to assume the worst, that the non-denial is evidence that the coach MUST be considering the jump.

But if all of us with any memory will recall, that is exactly what happened last year. And Brohm did not leave. In fact, in a recent interview, he laid out, in very plain terms, a clue regarding what may be his real motivation for not killing the rumors this time around...

(courtesy of GBI)
"Various reports last winter connected Brohm's name as a candidate to the opening at Tennessee. Brohm was quick to point out Thursday night that not only did he not leave the Boilermakers program after his first year but recruiting interest increased after that coaching carousel hype.

'I don't think I had a problem dealing with it last year to be honest with you. People think I'm exaggerating but our recruiting went in this direction,' Brohm said as he pointed his pen straight up in the sky. 'Any little thing that you can do to give your program credibility in the eyes of 17- and 18-year-olds across the country has an effect.'"

Jeff Brohm is clearly a very smart man. And he likely knows that if he came right out in the middle of this current media firestorm and killed the rumors, the media would simply move on to the next name on the list - and the Brohm/Purdue PR moment would have passed. End of story.

But by letting the rumors fly, the media attention remains fixated on Brohm and Purdue for at least a couple more weeks - as the media continues to sing Brohm's praises and further build his credibility with recruits that may still be on the fence. If true, this strategy by Brohm would be brilliant.

And considering Milton Wright committed when all this speculation was reaching a fever pitch, perhaps this is a measure of proof of that strategy. After all, being from Louisville, Wright knew what was happening with UL and Petrino. He could see the writing on the wall. And he would have known Brohm would be UL's first choice to replace Petrino.

Yet Wright could have merely waited to let things settle out. I mean, if you're only interested in committing to the coach, why commit to Purdue??? He could have told Brohm that he was ready to commit, but wanted to see where Brohm ended up, first.

But he didn't.

And while verbals can be written off, like so many hand-wringing UL fans are doing, it just does not make sense for Wright to commit publicly to the school that Brohm is supposedly leaving, especially when he absolutely did not need to.

Jeff Brohm is very much of a straight shooter, and will say exactly how he feels. But the media doesn't know that - or care, for that matter. They just care about the hot story and generating clicks. And as long as Brohm deflects, the story will not go away, and neither will the PR and credibility for both Brohm and Purdue.

Brilliant.

JMHOAU
Would there be any greater endorsement of Purdue Football and Purdue University than Jeff Brohm passing on an opportunity to return home? What would that signal to recruits and really to all of college football?

If Brohm passes on the UL job all it means is he is holding out for something bigger several years from now if, and only if, his Purdue success grows. He has been really good given what he inherited but blue bloods don’t come calling until he produces 9+ wins in a season.
Several years at least. Then, who knows? No program knows what will happen several years down the line. He passes on Tennessee and then Louisville, it means he is happy to stay at Purdue for awhile. Maybe if Bama or NFL come calling someday, but you can say that about 99.9% of coaches.

Reactions: Frankie611
There is nothing to contemplate at this point. He will not be offered the job until after the iu game. He’s not discussed nf speculation which could mean a couple things from he’s leaving to he’s staying.
Formally he hasn’t been ‘offered’ the job. Informally - absolutely - he knows what’s coming.

It’s naive to think he’s NOT contemplating the situation. He probably knew well before Sunday that Petrino was getting canned.

All of this has been prepped for by Brohm & Purdue.

I've actually wondered the same. I wanted Brohm at Louisville 10 years ago when he was Kragthorpe's OC and really hope we land him, but I'm always cautious about getting my hopes up. The recruiting advantage to waiting it out and then choosing to stay at Purdue instead of going to your alma mater would sell recruits on his commitment. Plus he will gain more cash in the process.

Reactions: Frankie611
What are these rational measures exactly? Examine closely the last 20-25 years of each program. Louisville is far more successful, relevant and nationally prominent than the Big10 doormat in that village called Lafayette.
The school and the degree is what counts. In the corporate world, the Purdue degree is way above Louisville. In the big revenue sports, Purdue does just fine. Yes, we have had a couple mediocre coaches in a row, but the Tiller years were not doormat. Athletic director forgot how important football was. A lot of Purdue alums had great NFL careers and a current one who will be HOF. Purdue will be just fine no matter what happens. Your basketball and football programs not been good lately. I would call your results lately doormat.

(courtesy of GBI)

But he didn't.

Brilliant.

JMHOAU
If you really want to delude yourself into believing that JB isn't / won't consider the UofL job, go for it. But it's hopelessly naive and wishful. I get that you want him to stay and I hope he does, too, but he could knock all of this down today, and he hasn't. That's proof positive that he's open to them.

Yup. Dabo Sweeny will be leaving traditional ACC door mat Clemson any day now. It is unprecedented that a coach would get into a good situation, build up a program, and stay.

Academic smack is lame, but I’ll play...

Most people nationally don’t even know what state Purdue is in. Academically, you are known for engineering and that’s about it. Louisville has an excellent law school and medical school to go with well-rounded liberal arts programs.

As for the claims about our football and basketball programs, that’s ignorant. In basketball, we won an NC in 2013, sweet 16 in 2014, final 8 in 2015, and earned a number 2 seed in 2016. That came on the heels of Final Four appearances in 2005, 2011 and 2012. Purdue has never sniffed a FF.

In football, we went to a bowl every year from 98-2007, and 2009-2017. We finished in the top ten 3 times during those years and won an orange and sugar bowl.

In other words, get a clue.

Most people nationally don’t even know what state Purdue is in. Academically, you are known for engineering and that’s about it. Louisville has an excellent law school and medical school to go with well-rounded liberal arts programs.

As for the claims about our football and basketball programs, that’s ignorant. In basketball, we won an NC in 2013, sweet 16 in 2014, final 8 in 2015, and earned a number 2 seed in 2016. That came on the heels of Final Four appearances in 2005, 2011 and 2012. Purdue has never sniffed a FF.

In football, we went to a bowl every year from 98-2007, and 2009-2017. We finished in the top ten 3 times during those years and won an orange and sugar bowl.

Here is my clue. Drew Brees. Len Dawson. Bob Griese. I want to stay on football. Louisville basketball has a great tradition. All schools have great academics. Purdue is way more than engineering. Try business(Krannert), pharmacy, aviation, and our hillbilly favorite agriculture. Just a few. Liberal arts and music are not our strong suit. Again, does no good to try and downgrade Purdue.

What are these rational measures exactly? Examine closely the last 20-25 years of each program. Louisville is far more successful, relevant and nationally prominent than the Big10 doormat in that village called Lafayette.

The rational measures are:

Historical significance - Louisville is 93rd in all time college football wins. Purdue is 51st. This never matters to schools who don't have that history. But specifically Purdue's history of producing QB talent is, I believe, a strong draw for Brohm.

Conference - Purdue's well positioned in the B10 west. Much easier road than playing FSU and Clemson every year.

Pay - By all accounts, Purdue will be able to pay more. I'm also assuming that WL is a cheaper place to live than Louisville.

Conference Stability - From 96-04, Louisville was in Conference USA. From 05-12, Louisville was in the Big East. In 2013, Louisville was in the AAC. Since, they've been in the ACC. Purdue was the founding member of the B10.

Current Team - Louisville's team is a mess. Purdue has a very good recruiting class coming in, on top of current promising freshman.

Current Athletic Department - Louisville's AD is in worse shape than about any other in the country.

Academic standing - No Question Purdue is better regarded.

Expectations - After years of being managed, Purdue doesn't have high expectations. Fans were ecstatic about a 7 win season last year. Louisville just fired their coach after winning 8 games last year. Best case scenario for a coach is being at a place where it's possible to win 10 games, but you won't get fired for winning 7.

The school and the degree is what counts. In the corporate world, the Purdue degree is way above Louisville. In the big revenue sports, Purdue does just fine. Yes, we have had a couple mediocre coaches in a row, but the Tiller years were not doormat. Athletic director forgot how important football was. A lot of Purdue alums had great NFL careers and a current one who will be HOF. Purdue will be just fine no matter what happens. Your basketball and football programs not been good lately. I would call your results lately doormat.

What does knowing what state a school is in have to do with anything? Off the top of my head I can’t tell you what state Cornell or Brown are in, but I know they’re Ivy League and great schools.

Purdue is academically known for their world class engineering, agriculture, pharmacy, and business schools. I honestly did not even know that Louisville had a law school and have never heard a thing about their medical school. That seems more like a regional thing, definitely not nationally known.

If I recall, no one won the 2013 NCAA basketball tournament, but nice try lol. Let’s see, a sweet 16 in 2014? We’ve been to the sweet 16 the past 2 years. A number 2 seed in 2016? We had the number 2 seed last year. Solid arguments though.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt

Most people don't even know what state Purdue is in? Really? Well, after we beat Ohio State last month about 50 more million people now know. And the ones that still don't know, mostly think Purdue is an Ivy League schoool. Know for engineering and that's about it? You missed a few big ones,... Pharmacy, agriculture, computer science, physics, management, mathematics and statistics, aviation to name a few.
I don't even know why you mention praises of a disgraced basketball program under Pitino. As far as football goes, Purdue has gone to 13 bowl games since 1998; so not so bad. And a far as the best football conference in America, everyone knows it is a race between the SEC and the Big Ten every year with the ACC a distant 3rd.

The rational measures are:

Historical significance - Louisville is 93rd in all time college football wins. Purdue is 51st. This never matters to schools who don't have that history. But specifically Purdue's history of producing QB talent is, I believe, a strong draw for Brohm.

Conference - Purdue's well positioned in the B10 west. Much easier road than playing FSU and Clemson every year.

Pay - By all accounts, Purdue will be able to pay more. I'm also assuming that WL is a cheaper place to live than Louisville.

Conference Stability - From 96-04, Louisville was in Conference USA. From 05-12, Louisville was in the Big East. In 2013, Louisville was in the AAC. Since, they've been in the ACC. Purdue was the founding member of the B10.

Current Team - Louisville's team is a mess. Purdue has a very good recruiting class coming in, on top of current promising freshman.

Current Athletic Department - Louisville's AD is in worse shape than about any other in the country.

Academic standing - No Question Purdue is better regarded.

Expectations - After years of being managed, Purdue doesn't have high expectations. Fans were ecstatic about a 7 win season last year. Louisville just fired their coach after winning 8 games last year. Best case scenario for a coach is being at a place where it's possible to win 10 games, but you won't get fired for winning 7.

I'll add to current team-Rondale should be on the Heisman short list next year along with getting some some high profile playmakers on both sides of the ball By staying he could own the Big Ten West going forward and that includes Frosty at Nebraska

Most people don't even know what state Purdue is in? Really? Well, after we beat Ohio State last month about 50 more million people now know. And the ones that still don't know, mostly think Purdue is an Ivy League schoool. Know for engineering and that's about it? You missed a few big ones,... Pharmacy, agriculture, computer science, physics, management, mathematics and statistics, aviation to name a few.
I don't even know why you mention praises of a disgraced basketball program under Pitino. As far as football goes, Purdue has gone to 13 bowl games since 1998; so not so bad. And a far as the best football conference in America, everyone knows it is a race between the SEC and the Big Ten every year with the ACC a distant 3rd.
Purdue is an outstanding school, as are most of the Big Ten members. But no one who has the most basic comprehension of higher education believes Purdue is an Ivy League school. If they do, it would suggest they aren't particularly bright.

Some people don't realize what state Purdue is in simply because the state or city is not in the name. And they are too lazy to figure it out. A lot of people probably also don't know what state Louisville is in.

Purdue has a world-wide academic reputation. And if people on the coasts or across the pond don't associate Purdue with Indiana that's not a bad thing. Louisville (the University) might be wise to distance themselves from Louisville and Kentucky for branding purposes, considering the state of Kentucky is not regarded as a leader in education.

I doubt if any football coach decided to go to a certain school because that school had a good basketball tradition.If that were true,IU wouldnt have trouble landing a good football coach.

The reason THE NEW YORKER cover entitled "The View from 9th Avenue" became well known is because it captured the way NYers think of the country. That view is contradicted by reality. It is nonetheless held.

The fact that people do not know what state Purdue is found reflects more upon their lack of knowledge than it does Purdue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Ok, I will play, too.
Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education rankings for 2019 -
Louisville Rankings -
461 in US, Unranked in World
Purdue Rankings -
43 in US, 64 in World
Louisville Salary after 10 yrs -
$38,833
Purdue Salary after 10 yrs -
$53,937
https://www.timeshighereducation.co...gth/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats
They have a clue. Shall we play again?

What are these rational measures exactly? Examine closely the last 20-25 years of each program. Louisville is far more successful, relevant and nationally prominent than the Big10 doormat in that village called
It’s easy to tell when the children have entered the forum. Typical you’re not going to see a true Purdue boilermaker SSA such derogatory things about Louisville, the city or the University. But your desperation is certainly showing in your language. Very very easy to see through your comments :)

(courtesy of GBI)

But he didn't.

Brilliant.

JMHOAU
Great post. I do think as the dust has settled this looks more and more like he’s at least 70/30 staying. If it was a “done deal” like all of our new southern friends are claiming, I think it would leak pretty quickly. If not from KY, then out of WL because I trust JB would tell MBob upfront his plan. He wouldn’t lie to his face and I know MBob has already questioned him on it.

I haven’t seen a single report saying it’s done. I haven’t seen a single report suggesting he’s even likely to take it. Folks who’ve commented on it (Thamel, Doyel) have stressed that while he’s definitely their top choice it’s not an obvious destination for Brohm because of all the advantages Purdue provides. Others who have claimed inside sources (Hazmil (?), Dackich) have claimed similarly that he’s their top choice but Lousiville insiders aren’t confident he’ll come and Purdue insiders believe he’s staying.

Recruiting also seems to be responding positively. Wright’s comments today were positive. Brohm’s renewed activity on Twitter after a month of radio silence seems positive.

I was 50/50 on Monday. I think the tide is turning in our favor. But I am also extremely confident MBob knows plan B already, if needed.

Great post. I do think as the dust has settled this looks more and more like he’s at least 70/30 staying. If it was a “done deal” like all of our new southern friends are claiming, I think it would leak pretty quickly. If not from KY, then out of WL because I trust JB would tell MBob upfront his plan. He wouldn’t lie to his face and I know MBob has already questioned him on it.

I haven’t seen a single report saying it’s done. I haven’t seen a single report suggesting he’s even likely to take it. Folks who’ve commented on it (Thamel, Doyel) have stressed that while he’s definitely their top choice it’s not an obvious destination for Brohm because of all the advantages Purdue provides. Others who have claimed inside sources (Hazmil (?), Dackich) have claimed similarly that he’s their top choice but Lousiville insiders aren’t confident he’ll come and Purdue insiders believe he’s staying.

Recruiting also seems to be responding positively. Wright’s comments today were positive. Brohm’s renewed activity on Twitter after a month of radio silence seems positive.

I was 50/50 on Monday. I think the tide is turning in our favor. But I am also extremely confident MBob knows plan B already, if needed.
I’m guessing that CJB has been letting UofL fan show their true colors and show how they would behave given this situation. I’m quite certain he’s disappointed in their behavior. It’s one thing to be excited about the possibility of getting him as your head coach. It’s quite another when you act the way they have been acting. Most likely a total turn off.

Really, trying to draw a correlation between population and successful football programs?
Bad decision STLNBSE! Next?

Where is that Top Ten? Tuscaloosa (100,000), Clemson (17,000), Athens (127,000), South Bend (102,000), Ann Arbor (121,000), Norman (122,000), Baton Rouge (225,000), Pullman (33,000), Morgantown (30,000), Columbus (879,000,

What about the rest of the Too 25?

Orlando (280,000), Syracuse (143,000) Gainesville (132,000), State College (43,000), Austin (950,000), Ames (66,000), Lexington (321,000), Seattle (724,000), Salt Lake City (200,000), Boston (685,000), Starkville (25,000), Evanston (74,000), Logan (51,000), Cincinnati (302,000), Boise (226,000)

Let’s see now, who fits the majority profile? Louisville at (616,000) or West Lafayette/Lafayette at (118,000)

Fifteen of Top 25 under 150,000
Eighteen of Top 25 under 250,000
Twenty-one of Top 25 under 350,000

Last edited:
I think it is funny that a Louisville fan proclaims his school's basketball program is a big deal with final four appearances and such. We all know that all of that is tainted with players who were recruited illegally, per NCAA rules. Much of those accolades will be forfeit once the smoke clears. The NCAA can prove some of it, but we all know that these illegal practices have been going on for years while slick Rick was coaching. If I were them, I would not even mention or call attention to that hot mess of an athletic program.

(courtesy of GBI)

But he didn't.

Brilliant.

JMHOAU

Interesting perspective and entirely plausible.

Any chance that you and others might be under estimating the damage done to the U of L Program/Brand over the last 5-6 years???.......Just asking.

As for coaching your alma mater, why didn't Wooden coach PU or keady to kSU or knight to osu?l
You should research the time Wooden almost came to Purdue. It is strikingly similar to this situation, although this one is playing out in 2018 where every mouthbreather has Twitter and can directly harass coaches, players, families and quickly spread rumors. Wooden didnt have to deal with that thankfully.

Reactions: Bob Sienicki
Apologizing to these clowns is unacceptable. From the guy who tried to misconstrue my points to the legions of people who fail to understand that academic rankings are inherently biased and subjective (at best), and exclusive to minorities and diverse learners (at worst) that secondary institutions such as Louisville strive to reach. Purdue is a lilly white, middle income, craphole stuck in a place I wouldn’t visit on a dare. If that makes you superior, then I guess you are.

The athletic debate is what should be driving this discussion and you clowns have had exactly two winning seasons the last 10 years.
Lol, triggered stereotypical UofL fan. Academic rankings are biased only to those that suck at them. Like, UofLoserville

You suck at football and the last ten years prove it. Now back to your university. Is there a prize for spotting a black student on campus who isn’t an athlete? A whopping 3 percent of your population is African American. That’s embarrassing.
Well considering I am non-White so.. yeah. Keep stepping in it there hick you're just solidifies what everyone already thinks of you.

Oh and if we suck at football so much then why are you at UofLoserville trying to poach our coach? I mean he must suck then too right since he falls in that "last 10 years" line.

Boy they raise em dumb down there in looserville.

What does you being nonwhite have to do with anything? Oh that’s right, it doesn’t. And yes. You do suck, and managed to stumble into a coach that we want and will have shortly. Doesn’t change your history of sucking. Which one of us is dumb?
The one who doesn't know what the word "history" means.

Get off the crack pipe, amigo...L’ville’s law and med schools are not highly regarded, much less “excellent”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT