ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Simpson "Update"

BoilerDeac

All-American
Oct 21, 2014
New York, NY
If it means anything at all, Jerry Meyer, one of the few who seems to be a consistenly reputable source, updated his prediction for Simpson yesterday to Purdue. As we all know, getting Simpson and Cumberland would be another big recruiting win for the Boilers!

Reactions: BEAGLEB
Simpson+Cumberland is our top priority
Purdue also offered Zach Norvell, a 4*, 6'4" combo guard from Chicago, yesterday. Norvell visited campus on Thursday. I'm not suggesting that he is a higher priority than Simpson and Cumberland, but he is similar "level" of player based on rankings.

What happens if Edwards wants to commit this weekend? Is it a take the first guy situation between him and Simpson?

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure how that works when you have multiple offers out on the table, but you clearly prefer some players over others.

That aside, not sure how high we are on Edwards' list. Comments from both Simpson and his dad indicate that Purdue is certainly in the running.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I watched the video. That's why I asked. I never saw him pass it until after the 3 minute mark. But if he's a team player then that'll work. And I agree if he's a real threat to score from the perimeter it helps open things up for everybody else.

I watched the video. That's why I asked. I never saw him pass it until after the 3 minute mark. But if he's a team player then that'll work. And I agree if he's a real threat to score from the perimeter it helps open things up for everybody else.

Those camps aren't conducive to 30 second shot clock, work the ball type posessions.

If I am looking for the prototypical motion point guard, the first two names that come to mind are Tony Parker and Steph Curry. Both are great scorers who play within the offensive system. I see some of those traits in PJ Thompson, but he has physical limitations that hold him back. Obviously, Simpson isn't going to come in and be an NBA hall of famer like the guys I mentioned, but if he can come in and play the roll of the unselfish, efficient, within-the-system, scoring point guard, I'm all for it.

Is this kid a "shoot first" point guard?
Not at all he was top 3 in EYBL in assist with 75 in 15 games averaged 4.4 assist per compared to Vince Edwards Purdue's assist leader last year 2.7 per and Ray 2.6 per . Don't trust highlight clips things that help you win are edited out . Watch Derek Funderburk and Jarron Cumberland mix clips and you'll see X with the assist your looking for or go to D1 Circuit and watch King James full games . Kid can dish it with the best of them . Definitely a pass first PG as the 4.4 per reflect compared to CJ Walker 2.8 per in 15 games he had 44 total which ranks him among the top also .

Okay I respect all of your responses. Sounds like the kid does it all. What more could you ask for? Sign him up!

Even a shoot first point guard that can actually make shots, is better than a shot first flipper shooter

Reactions: Schnelk
Simpson's dad has said that he would "love" to see Xavier and Cumberland play together in college.

I just got the feeling that some of the interest in Purdue for Simpson seemed to stem from the fact that Cumberland was seemingly high on us.

I think that's partly true, but I doubt the chances are "all but gone". Cindy isn't even a team Simpson is considering.

I think it'll come down to Xavier and Purdue, and I hope he picks us. It sounds like Cumberland's decision stemmed largely from a desire to play close to home.

If it means anything at all, Jerry Meyer, one of the few who seems to be a consistenly reputable source, updated his prediction for Simpson yesterday to Purdue. As we all know, getting Simpson and Cumberland would be another big recruiting win for the Boilers!
He's taking an official to Purdue on 8/1. I think he'll see a great opportunity. I am cautiously optimistic on this one.

The article posted today said that Purdue was 'hoping' for an official visit 8/1. Do you have any source that says that it is a definite?

If for some reason Cassius Winson doesn't pan out for MSU, look for this kid to get a late offer from the Spartans and pounce on it.
You heard this here first.

Last edited:
If for some reason Cassius Winson doesn't pan out for MSU, look for this kid to get a late off from the Spartans and pounce on it.
You heard this here first.
Maybe first on this board, but that's been discussed by Brian, on H&R, etc. In this case, I'm rooting for Izzo to close the deal with Winston, because it appears that Purdue is in good shape with Simpson.

Maybe first on this board, but that's been discussed by Brian, on H&R, etc. In this case, I'm rooting for Izzo to close the deal with Winston, because it appears that Purdue is in good shape with Simpson.

Hope it works out for all parties.
Simpson appears to be a great point guard.

He said that he doesn't want to come to a team that already has an underclassman PG...doesn't Weatherford fall under that category?

From a pure talent standpoint, this would essentially negate the sting from losing Walker, especially considering the top targets' commitments haven't exactly gone in Purdue's favor.

He said that he doesn't want to come to a team that already has an underclassman PG...doesn't Weatherford fall under that category?

From a pure talent standpoint, this would essentially negate the sting from losing Walker, especially considering the top targets' commitments haven't exactly gone in Purdue's favor.

I, for one, am glad Walker didn't come. He did not want to be a Boiler and it seems Papa Walker is looking to boost his ego living vicariously through his kid. That kind of parental involvement always spells trouble.

I, for one, am glad Walker didn't come. He did not want to be a Boiler and it seems Papa Walker is looking to boost his ego living vicariously through his kid. That kind of parental involvement always spells trouble.
Seconded. The more that I read about Walker, the more it seems he wouldn't of been a good fit here for those reasons you mention. I think we all have had enough of situations like that.

Last edited:
Too bad Walker didn't go to Houston to learn from the sauce master RJ.

I wonder if there is a rankings of programs by the amount of sauce they have. The top position could have an honorary title of BBQ Master or Pit Master or something to denote their sauce supremacy.

Too bad Walker didn't go to Houston to learn from the sauce master RJ.

I wonder if there is a rankings of programs by the amount of sauce they have. The top position could have an honorary title of BBQ Master or Pit Master or something to denote their sauce supremacy.

Houston is a good city for BBQ sauce. I would say 2nd to Memphis.

Seconded. The more that I read about Walker, the more it seems he wouldn't of been a good fit here for those reasons you mentioned above. I think we all have had enough of situations like that.

I agree with the symptoms of possible problems but then again some things seem like they'll be a trainwreck and then it never happens. Hands-on parents sometimes get a bad rap because of being in the picture frequently. Not sure I wouldn't be a bit like that with my daughters if they had gone on after high school sports. They would have wanted me to be involved. But I also realize there is a limit of being too involved or going overboard. Vision and realism can be blinded by the heart.

We'll see how the point guard thing pans out. With our current up-swing situation I feel we are setting ourselves up for a good score with a positive recruit. I think our coach has more selling points than ever before. I like that.

Reactions: thenagemj02 and BBG
I agree with the symptoms of possible problems but then again some things seem like they'll be a trainwreck and then it never happens. Hands-on parents sometimes get a bad rap because of being in the picture frequently. Not sure I wouldn't be a bit like that with my daughters if they had gone on after high school sports. They would have wanted me to be involved. But I also realize there is a limit of being too involved or going overboard. Vision and realism can be blinded by the heart.

We'll see how the point guard thing pans out. With our current up-swing situation I feel we are setting ourselves up for a good score with a positive recruit. I think our coach has more selling points than ever before. I like that.
Completely agree on all your points. It is those parents that don't understand "their place" as it were that seem to cause the most issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT