ADVERTISEMENT

Will Swanigan improve Football?

Mar 8, 2013
Since the Football board is currently a ghost town ... I feels like people with a sense of humor could have fun with this thread.

Since the Football board is currently a ghost town ... I feels like people with a sense of humor could have fun with this thread.
Sure if you line him up at DE and he turns out to be another Julius Peppers.

Nahh. Kentucky, Duke, UNC & UConn have all gotten more 5 stars than us, and been more successful in basketball but still suck the majority of the time in football

I think we all know the only thing that will improve football is putting some wins on the board!

As I said on the basketball in a roundabout way is that the AD must capitalize on the huge hype of these season in basketball. Every game must be sold out in attendance not just tickets, and they need to any other revenue sources around the basketball program that they can right now and ride the momentum as far as possible. If they fail to make a considerable profit which is higher than usual this basketball season, then it really is time to go for Burke. All the cards have fallen into place on the basketball side and they need to use the added revenue wisely not just for basketball for for football as well because it's even more important to revenue creation.

Interesting, I dont view success like that at all. I look at it more on a lag. So lets say bball performs to our expectations and we have a great year, can he catipult that into continued program success and increased revenue down the road? Thats what I would care about that.

Making last second alterations to capitalize on the moment is the lame junk that got us here. He needs to build a dynasty so revenue isnt such a struggle to scrape by on year after year. Sure thats hard with the team changing and coaching turnover, but thats life in his line of business.

Most reports show Ohio State is in the lead for Swanigan's football schollie. Purdue is in his top three though. CDH needs to lock down the state!!

Interesting, I dont view success like that at all. I look at it more on a lag. So lets say bball performs to our expectations and we have a great year, can he catipult that into continued program success and increased revenue down the road? Thats what I would care about that.

Making last second alterations to capitalize on the moment is the lame junk that got us here. He needs to build a dynasty so revenue isnt such a struggle to scrape by on year after year. Sure thats hard with the team changing and coaching turnover, but thats life in his line of business.
Success and dynasty, has nothing to do with maximizing monetarily on the hype this year. This is a rare chance to really boost the coffers. I would say there is more actual hype this year because of the team we had coming back than when the baby boilers came in and right up there with the year they were supposed to contend for the final four. This has to be a record revenue year for the program period. Regardless of outcome or what they do 4 years from now.

are you counting donation money or something? Other than selling a few more preseason tickets, Im not sure where its supposed to come from.

Maybe youre right, but if you look at footballthe 99 and 2000 years werent terribly profitable. I know the rose bowl year was negative, but they certainly got increased tv slots and attendance during 01 and 02.

I do agree with you on the hype, and personally my expectations are higher for this year in bball than the year we were supposed to final four

are you counting donation money or something? Other than selling a few more preseason tickets, Im not sure where its supposed to come from.

Maybe youre right, but if you look at footballthe 99 and 2000 years werent terribly profitable. I know the rose bowl year was negative, but they certainly got increased tv slots and attendance during 01 and 02.

I do agree with you on the hype, and personally my expectations are higher for this year in bball than the year we were supposed to final four
Yes, more donations, more preseason, more regular season, packed houses during winter break. More shirts, more concessions, raise the ad rates in the programs, more ad revenue for his radio show, mark up the sponsors on the backdrop at post game press conferences, make NIKE get on board with new promotions. Have more sponsored givaways every game. Literally endless opportunities to nickle and dime the shit out of current sponsors, potentials sponsors, and fans. As much as I hate it. We can't be sure that this hype and opportunity will be anything past this year and can't squander the potential revenue possibilities because the entire athletic department needs the money.

Yes, more donations, more preseason, more regular season, packed houses during winter break. More shirts, more concessions, raise the ad rates in the programs, more ad revenue for his radio show, mark up the sponsors on the backdrop at post game press conferences, make NIKE get on board with new promotions. Have more sponsored givaways every game. Literally endless opportunities to nickle and dime the shit out of current sponsors, potentials sponsors, and fans. As much as I hate it. We can't be sure that this hype and opportunity will be anything past this year and can't squander the potential revenue possibilities because the entire athletic department needs the money.

Gotcha, that does make more sense. I still wouldnt mess with anything the fans would notice, unless we are significantly cheaper than the competition. Youre just going to aggitate your fan base more when there is finally something to be excited about. Not to mention its usually a break even sport, so its not like a banner year in bball is even going to make that much of a difference.

Gotcha, that does make more sense. I still wouldnt mess with anything the fans would notice, unless we are significantly cheaper than the competition. Youre just going to aggitate your fan base more when there is finally something to be excited about. Not to mention its usually a break even sport, so its not like a banner year in bball is even going to make that much of a difference.
As a fan, I wouldn't mess with us either, but unfortunately business is business. Check out LSU story.
LSU builds marketing campaign around Ben Simmons

Im not saying we shouldnt market it like LSU is doing or whatever would be best for Purdue. However, what youre calling for is something different.

With how revenue sports & attendance have been for Purdue events, I would do whatever I can to get more people at the games and absolutely not jack up prices/pad fees for a single years profit. We need that revenue this year, and in future years much more than we need an extra 50cents for a soda or 20 dollars for a parking pass. Unless, we are already cheaper than our peers, and I dont think we are.

There have been elaborate posts on this in the past, but at a high level, if the AD needs more money from anyone, it sounds like its the rest of the university.

How exactly is what they are doing different than what I am saying? You can bet much of what I'm saying is in their plans and is even implied as much in that post. They also have to make enough money this year to cover the recruiting cost of SImmons because as we all know Shaq made all his money in college ( that last part is TIC for those who get the reference)

Again, it's not jacking it up for a single years revenues. It's about setting the standard of being a premium product and capitalizing on the supply and demand of this year as hype is at a long time high. You can always go back down but if you fall on your face you can't go back up. As for cheaper than our peers? Who exactly are our peers that you consider? We're a basketball school, with a storied history, in the best basketball conference, in a basketball state, with what many consider a pre-season top 25 team. If we are going to be one of the best, if not the best teams in the big ten consider us to be anything less, and price accordingly.

You also said in a previous post something to the effect of it being a break even sport, which just isn't true. according to the numbers last year they had about 3.1 mil more in revenue than expenses. Which may not seem like much but when you consider that the football program only had 4.4 mil more revenue than expenses, it's easy to see size wise which is the more profitable return on investment. Considering the revenues and expenses balances, that 3.1 mil is a big deal... and if you think they are doing ok with those numbers, just imagine what wringing an extra million out of this season could do, or even and extra 500k. Knowing all the extra cost of living expenses that are coming, and the money that Daniels has already forgiven to help cover that, this is would be a big deal.

You have to strike while the iron is hot. And hope you don't get burned. Think of it this way, folks will probably be pissed for a while, but if they put a competitive team on the floor that wins... they won't care and everyone wins. And finally... Burke will have enough money to do another survey to see if he should do a survey of the people who he surveys for the south end zone survey.

I dont get anything from the LSU article about raising prices; just selling tickets. Which, I hear the SEC football powers mightely struggle with.

I think stretching another million is a huge stretch. 300k sounds more like it if they really dialed it up. getting ten percent more out of everything is a lot. Plus you lose some existing business when prices go up. They can probobably get away with that on ticket sales, but you definitely sell less everything else. But thats my high-level though, Im not close enough to those financials. Especially for a fan base in a hard core red state.

Prices rarely go down, and almost always go up.

I also wouldnt say we are in the best state for basketball (North Carolina)

Nor would I say we are a storied/elite program (zero national championships, and one final four?)

But the state of indiana and Purdue are not slouches in basketball either.

Let the fan base enjoy a season before you inevitably jack things up. If for nothing else than sticking with the program through a downturn, and funding mackey renovation. Build a little good will for when you go asking for Football. I still reiterate most programs with great years dont have great financial years. Its about elevating the brand to create a long term fanbase. I realize this is just a difference of opinions, and an interesting one at that for me

I dont get anything from the LSU article about raising prices; just selling tickets. Which, I hear the SEC football powers mightely struggle with.

I think stretching another million is a huge stretch. 300k sounds more like it if they really dialed it up. getting ten percent more out of everything is a lot. Plus you lose some existing business when prices go up. They can probobably get away with that on ticket sales, but you definitely sell less everything else. But thats my high-level though, Im not close enough to those financials. Especially for a fan base in a hard core red state.

Prices rarely go down, and almost always go up.

I also wouldnt say we are in the best state for basketball (North Carolina)

Nor would I say we are a storied/elite program (zero national championships, and one final four?)

But the state of indiana and Purdue are not slouches in basketball either.

Let the fan base enjoy a season before you inevitably jack things up. If for nothing else than sticking with the program through a downturn, and funding mackey renovation. Build a little good will for when you go asking for Football. I still reiterate most programs with great years dont have great financial years. Its about elevating the brand to create a long term fanbase. I realize this is just a difference of opinions, and an interesting one at that for me
10 percent more is actually about 1mil. They have over 9 mil from revenue in the program. The 3 mil was basically profit after expenses. They should be able to use the hype to boost revenues with not too much extra expenses by a minimum of your 10 percent that is about 1mil.

I was actually thinking 10% growth on profit, but maybe that profit margin does float a little more than the ones Im accustomed to dealing with. Im not sure if economies of scale come into play, and whatever else I may not be thinking

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT