ADVERTISEMENT

Exposure is a team effort

Beorik

True Freshman
Sep 25, 2019
I don’t want to get on my soap box too much but wanted to talk about this a little. I have been a fan of Purdue Football since the late 90’s when I attended Purdue. Over the last 3-4 coaches I hear all the time that they need to sell the program, recruit better, etc. In response I often hear that Purdue is what it is what it is and won’t get great recruits.

Imo we now have a young, energetic, likable, sellable coach and a team on the upswing thanks to Brohm turning us around. And everyone should be selling that. Unfortunately everyone is doing a shit job of it.

Take what is happening in Colorado right now. Everyone is excited including me as a football fan. I watch their games and then search up pre game/post game/ after practice interviews. All of that is easily accessible and done with high quality.

After Purdue’s game today I looked for the interviews. And there was two links both behind paywalls. Post practice interviews for Purdue are generally of poor to ok quality mostly due to sound. How in the world in this day and age where any 15 year old gamer can post high quality videos on YouTube/TikTok/Twitch/X are we “selling” our coaches and teams in such a substandard way? It baffles me. Recruits now days look for that stuff and generally just like I did, right after watching a game and we have nothing. Meanwhile other teams are putting all kinds of great, high quality stuff out there for recruits and fans to digest and enjoy.

I guess my point to all this is, if we ever want to be a consistently good football team, lots of people around the program need to do better. Not just the coaches. How is Coach Walters ever supposed to compete against a guy like Coach Prime when every word Deion says it out there for recruits to get and we can’t even hear the questions being asked of our coach or have to pay to see a post game interview?

Anyway, big win and Boiler up!

Watching those post practicce videos I realize what is happening. Basically these are being recorded with cell phones held by a few people associated with this website and another similar one. You can hear the question when it's being recorded by the one holding the phone, otherwise you probably can't. It definitely makes a difference where each individual is standing. So the quality of the sound will be much better if a person is standing in a direction where background noise is amplified or diminished. Basically, you can go to YouTube and listen to the same interview recorded by the two different individuals. In actuality, there are more people asking questions, like people from the Purdue Exponent who are not recording the proceedings.

For quality, interviews should be recorded in a quiet area with no interfering background noise which isn't done. Also, questioners should use the same microphone system so there is the same quality as the interviewee.

I've mentioned the lack of quality many times, but nothing is ever done to create a uniform well recorded interview. But the main problem is that these are interviews of Purdue personnel but under nonoptimal conditions by non-Purdue people- essentially a press conference where the attendees use their own recording systems, unfortunately in this instance mainly cell phones. Actual Purdue-made videos can be slick and professional but aren't available for these events.

That's my take on this.

I should add that the Ryan Walters Show is well made, enjoyable to watch, and well recorded. I take it that when they go to commercials you don't see them but instead see Purdue highlights which are also enjoyable to watch. But this isn't a press conference but a show specifically produced.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEss and Beorik
Watching those post practicce videos I realize what is happening. Basically these are being recorded with cell phones held by a few people associated with this website and another similar one. You can hear the question when it's being recorded by the one holding the phone, otherwise you probably can't. It definitely makes a difference where each individual is standing. So the quality of the sound will be much better if a person is standing in a direction where background noise is amplified or diminished. Basically, you can go to YouTube and listen to the same interview recorded by the two different individuals. In actuality, there are more people asking questions, like people from the Purdue Exponent who are not recording the proceedings.

For quality, interviews should be recorded in a quiet area with no interfering background noise which isn't done. Also, questioners should use the same microphone system so there is the same quality as the interviewee.

I've mentioned the lack of quality many times, but nothing is ever done to create a uniform well recorded interview. But the main problem is that these are interviews of Purdue personnel but under nonoptimal conditions by non-Purdue people- essentially a press conference where the attendees use their own recording systems, unfortunately in this instance mainly cell phones. Actual Purdue-made videos can be slick and professional but aren't available for these events.

That's my take on this.

I should add that the Ryan Walters Show is well made, enjoyable to watch, and well recorded. I take it that when they go to commercials you don't see them but instead see Purdue highlights which are also enjoyable to watch. But this isn't a press conference but a show specifically produced.
Agreed. It’s just sad to me that two programs that have had similar levels of success over the last 15 years or so and they both get young, exciting coaches but only one schools media and content machine takes off. I get it, Walters is not Deion but we are so far behind from a hype and exposure level it’s like we play a different sport.

If Dillon Thieneman played for Colorado right now he would be getting Heisman votes.

I am just in awe by what the program and media has done for Colorado. I know we don’t have the star power their coach has but it’s disgraceful that our program and media’s self promotion is so bad that we can’t even watch the post game press conference without paying. Yet the losing team, VT, has two post game interviews up right now that I can watch.

And this week there will be 50 free articles up about Colorado, their coach, their players that I can read and we will be lucky to have 2-3.

I just feel like as long as this type of gap in quantity and quality of info between Purdue and other programs remains the same it’s more than unfair to expect Coach Walters, or any coach, to win big time recruiting battles for 4 and 5 star athletes.

Maybe I just expect too much.

Plus to Coach Prime’s credit, he is really good at this. Literally did a 20 minute question and answer session after their game. Dude is going to be getting top 10 recruiting classes in no time. I just don’t see why our coaches and media couldn’t be putting out similar things even if they don’t necessarily get the amount of attention right away.

Ok edit. Looks like Boiler Upload did post Walter’s post game on Youtube so that’s good. But the quality is similar to practice interviews so that’s bad.

Anyway, rant over.

Boiler up!

There's a big difference when national news is covering an event than basically 2 fan clubs for a team. There may be better footage out there from local TV in the West Lafayette area or perhaps Indianapolis, but I and probably people further away from Lafayette can't view it if it exists. I'm sure that they have better production values then the two different fan bases. Colorado now gets the national hype, and it is now slanted to make them look good, much like Michigan, OSU and Penn State. Of course these 3 Big10 schools have huge fan bases, and although I don't watch their videos are probably done more professionally. Being a school far from the national spotlight, you jut don't get the coverage. It's a good thing that coach Walters appeals to young players, but are we ever going to get the 5-star ones?

Ok edit. Looks like Boiler Upload did post Walter’s post game on Youtube so that’s good. But the quality is similar to practice interviews so that’s bad.
That's because it's exactly the same as the practice interviews, two different fan club reporters making videos with their cell phones. At least now you don't have all the distracting background noise of the outdoor videos. Watch both YouTube videos of the same interviews (note that they have slightly different lengths) and you'll get a slightly different perspective as the two reporters don't stand close to each other, and hence the partial bad sound by the questioners when they're not asking the questions.

Reactions: Beorik
I don’t want to get on my soap box too much but wanted to talk about this a little. I have been a fan of Purdue Football since the late 90’s when I attended Purdue. Over the last 3-4 coaches I hear all the time that they need to sell the program, recruit better, etc. In response I often hear that Purdue is what it is what it is and won’t get great recruits.

Imo we now have a young, energetic, likable, sellable coach and a team on the upswing thanks to Brohm turning us around. And everyone should be selling that. Unfortunately everyone is doing a shit job of it.

Take what is happening in Colorado right now. Everyone is excited including me as a football fan. I watch their games and then search up pre game/post game/ after practice interviews. All of that is easily accessible and done with high quality.

After Purdue’s game today I looked for the interviews. And there was two links both behind paywalls. Post practice interviews for Purdue are generally of poor to ok quality mostly due to sound. How in the world in this day and age where any 15 year old gamer can post high quality videos on YouTube/TikTok/Twitch/X are we “selling” our coaches and teams in such a substandard way? It baffles me. Recruits now days look for that stuff and generally just like I did, right after watching a game and we have nothing. Meanwhile other teams are putting all kinds of great, high quality stuff out there for recruits and fans to digest and enjoy.

I guess my point to all this is, if we ever want to be a consistently good football team, lots of people around the program need to do better. Not just the coaches. How is Coach Walters ever supposed to compete against a guy like Coach Prime when every word Deion says it out there for recruits to get and we can’t even hear the questions being asked of our coach or have to pay to see a post game interview?

Anyway, big win and Boiler up!

When you start comparing Prime to Coach Walters is where your post goes off the rails. Prime has had media attention since his playing days. You think if Purdue had hired someone like Prime there wouldn't be post game interviews all over the internet? Give me a break.

Although there's nothing wrong with this hire, we brought in a guy that had no head coaching experience, no NFL background, or anything that would be media worthy and you're questioning why interviews aren't plastered all over the internet?

FFS...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT