ADVERTISEMENT

Why do the Republicans want to stop blacks from voting?

BNIBoiler

All-American
Jun 10, 2018
Jim Crow died in 1964. However, his more sophisticated cousin, James Crow Esquire is alive and well.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Jim Crow died in 1964. However, his more sophisticated cousin, James Crow Esquire is alive and well.

If I were black I would be offended by your slant. It assumes one is too lazy, slovenly and simply not smart enough to figure how to vote. Getting an ID that is needed to enter most courthouses, board a plane, buy alcohol, drive a car among many other needs. Plus you want to have polling places open 7 days a week? Sad that we think blacks are dumb?

"House Bill 531 would require a photo ID for absentee voting, limit the time when an absentee ballot could be requested, restrict where ballot drop boxes could be placed, ban counties from holding early voting on Sundays and restrict the use of mobile voting units, among many other changes."

If I were black I would be offended by your slant. It assumes one is too lazy, slovenly and simply not smart enough to figure how to vote. Getting an ID that is needed to enter most courthouses, board a plane, buy alcohol, drive a car among many other needs. Plus you want to have polling places open 7 days a week? Sad that we think blacks are dumb?

"House Bill 531 would require a photo ID for absentee voting, limit the time when an absentee ballot could be requested, restrict where ballot drop boxes could be placed, ban counties from holding early voting on Sundays and restrict the use of mobile voting units, among many other changes."
If everybody has to have an ID, why in the hell would you need to restrict voting locations and/or days on which you can vote? What does that accomplish?

Reactions: atmafola
If everybody has to have an ID, why in the hell would you need to restrict voting locations and/or days on which you can vote? What does that accomplish?
I believe the biggest issue was having an ID per the article. At the same time maybe we should have every thing open 24/7 for a month? What would that do other than give more employment?

Reactions: Boilermaker03
I believe the biggest issue was having an ID per the article. At the same time maybe we should have every thing open 24/7 for a month? What would that do other than give more employment?
If there's no problem with the ID verification, who cares?

What would that do? Uh, make it easier for legitimate voters to cast their ballots? You got a problem with that?

Republicans were the party that promoted absentee ballots for years. Now they want to restrict them. Why is that?

Why do democrats demand for voter identification and signature verification for Governor recalls but don’t demand the same for elections?

seems to me that voter ID is the key question. If I can file my taxes electronically with a PIN, there should be a simple voter ID card (or DL or govt ID) that can be used to vote. But recalls and elections should follow the same rules.

I believe the biggest issue was having an ID per the article.
If there's no problem with the ID verification, who cares?

What would that do? Uh, make it easier for legitimate voters to cast their ballots? You got a problem with that?

Republicans were the party that promoted absentee ballots for years. Now they want to restrict them. Why is that?
LMAO. I live in a county where the Hispanic population is about 60%. Most would simply laugh at your position. Wait about 20 more years and you will see what brown power is. BTW, this is not a Rep or Dem issue. I am copying and pasting a great read from another Boiler poster and this very similar issue a bout 3 months ago in Marion County with apolgies to not remembering who he is:

"OK. This foolishness has gone on enough. You (and others) dont even freaking know how polling stations are assigned do you? You think its some conspiracy by the Republican Gov. and Sec. of State. Stop reading Mother Jones and watching Rachel Madow. Read source documents and form an independent thought.

First. In Indiana, as like all over the country, polling locations are assigned by the local governing election board. I refer you Indiana Baord of Election Town Guidebook: https://www.in.gov/sos/elections/files/2019 Town Election Guide.REVISED.1-9-19.pdf

Precincts and Polling Places Precincts are geographical areas established for the purpose of voting. Unlike town council districts, which are established by the town council, the county executive (the board of county commissioners or the Mayor of Indianapolis in Marion County) establishes precinct boundary lines by filing a precinct establishment order with the Indiana Election Division for approval. A town cannot alter precinct boundaries within the towns for the purpose of conducting town elections. (IC 3-11-1.5-2; IC 3-11-1.5-24)

Further, a 2011 Law allowed Counties (again not the State) to establish "Vote Centers" as a one-stop super location to save money on number of loations. I believe Marion County has one or severalPer IBE,

An alternative to precinct polling places are vote centers, which are used in about half of Indiana’s counties. The bi-partisan county election board must unanimously agree to a plan that is first vetted with community stakeholders.
City or town representatives should have conversations with the county election board or county commissioners to plan for voting locations in the municipal primary and general elections.

Fact in evidence, Marion County is a 60% Democratic County. The Election Board is Democratic run. Therefore, to accept your premise, one of the following must be true:

1. The Democratic machine of Marion County is intentionally supressing its own voter base.
2. There is voter suppression, but it is being applied in Republican precincts."

It is true that polling locations have decreased. But these decisions have been made by elected bodies refernced above to adjust for population, access to absentee and/or mail , early voting and Mega Centers (like in downtown Chicago). So its ony logical that counties condense the number of locations. But you can come clean. You really had no idea who was responsible for assigning poling locations, did you?

You've sunk to a new racist low point in your life.

This is an example of you being out of touch. Blacks are the ones complaining about this. I hear it all the time. This voter suppression laws started in 2009 after Obama was elected. That is where the racism comes in. Voter ID was never an issue for the the Republicans until he got elected. Since then state GOP lawmakers have been changing laws that blacks use to do. These include Sunday voting, known in the black community as “Souls to the Polls”, voting early, absentee voting etc.

LMAO. I live in a county where the Hispanic population is about 60%. Most would simply laugh at your position. Wait about 20 more years and you will see what brown power is. BTW, this is not a Rep or Dem issue. I am copying and pasting a great read from another Boiler poster and this very similar issue a bout 3 months ago in Marion County with apolgies to not remembering who he is:

"OK. This foolishness has gone on enough. You (and others) dont even freaking know how polling stations are assigned do you? You think its some conspiracy by the Republican Gov. and Sec. of State. Stop reading Mother Jones and watching Rachel Madow. Read source documents and form an independent thought.

First. In Indiana, as like all over the country, polling locations are assigned by the local governing election board. I refer you Indiana Baord of Election Town Guidebook: https://www.in.gov/sos/elections/files/2019 Town Election Guide.REVISED.1-9-19.pdf

Precincts and Polling Places Precincts are geographical areas established for the purpose of voting. Unlike town council districts, which are established by the town council, the county executive (the board of county commissioners or the Mayor of Indianapolis in Marion County) establishes precinct boundary lines by filing a precinct establishment order with the Indiana Election Division for approval. A town cannot alter precinct boundaries within the towns for the purpose of conducting town elections. (IC 3-11-1.5-2; IC 3-11-1.5-24)

Further, a 2011 Law allowed Counties (again not the State) to establish "Vote Centers" as a one-stop super location to save money on number of loations. I believe Marion County has one or severalPer IBE,

An alternative to precinct polling places are vote centers, which are used in about half of Indiana’s counties. The bi-partisan county election board must unanimously agree to a plan that is first vetted with community stakeholders.
City or town representatives should have conversations with the county election board or county commissioners to plan for voting locations in the municipal primary and general elections.

Fact in evidence, Marion County is a 60% Democratic County. The Election Board is Democratic run. Therefore, to accept your premise, one of the following must be true:

1. The Democratic machine of Marion County is intentionally supressing its own voter base.
2. There is voter suppression, but it is being applied in Republican precincts."

It is true that polling locations have decreased. But these decisions have been made by elected bodies refernced above to adjust for population, access to absentee and/or mail , early voting and Mega Centers (like in downtown Chicago). So its ony logical that counties condense the number of locations. But you can come clean. You really had no idea who was responsible for assigning poling locations, did you?
Indiana could very well be different than Georgia and Arizona and Iowa and dozens of other states where these laws are in the works.

I guess all these state legislatures are just wasting their time trying to pass laws over election rules they have no control over. Maybe the election boards have control over where the boxes are placed but it certainly seems these states think they can control how many are allowed.

Since you know so much more about it than I do, explain why these state legislatures think they can change the laws.

Prior to the most recent election, Marion county had only 1 early voting place for a population of nearly 1million. And it's not because democrats haven't wanted to increase that. But doing so requires unanimous decisions. So 1 single republican in a committee of 3 by law can keep blocking increasing access to more people and that's what happend for well over a decade in Indianapolis.

Meanwhile, whatever county Lebanon, IN is in has like 12 early voting locations including 3 in old people's homes.

This is an example of you being out of touch. Blacks are the ones complaining about this. I hear it all the time. This voter suppression laws started in 2009 after Obama was elected. That is where the racism comes in. Voter ID was never an issue for the the Republicans until he got elected. Since then state GOP lawmakers have been changing laws that blacks use to do. These include Sunday voting, known in the black community as “Souls to the Polls”, voting early, absentee voting etc.
I've yet to hear one of my black friends talk about being disenfranchised where voting comes in to play. Most go to the poll for early or on time voting and return home. You know...like us white guys do. Geesh BNI.

I've yet to hear one of my black friends talk about being disenfranchised where voting comes in to play. Most go to the poll for early or on time voting and return home. You know...like us white guys do. Geesh BNI.
Your black friends won't talk about it unless you ask them about the issue. Voter suppression probably does not effect them directly. It doesn't effect me directly. I vote early voting. However, for a lot of blacks it does. Like I said, a lot of blacks voted on Sundays after church, now cannot. A lot of blacks vote absentee, now being restricted. In 2009 when this voter suppression started there were a lot of elderly blacks that could not vote after voting for 60 plus years because they did not not have a state ID. Some did not have their birth certificate or transportation to get one. Just be cause or two black people that you know aren't disenfranchised doesn't mean that it does not happen. Ask your black friends about this issue and report back on what they say.

Last edited:
Your black friends won't talk about it unless you ask them about the issue. Voter suppression probably does not effect them directly. It doesn't effect me directly. I vote early voting. However, for a lot of blacks it does. Like I said, a lot of blacks voted on Sundays after church, now cannot. A lot of blacks vote absentee, now being restricted. In 2009 when this voter suppression started there were a lot of elderly blacks that could not vote after voting for 60 plus years because they did not not have a state ID. Some did not have their birth certificate or transportation to get one. Just be cause or two black people that you know aren't disenfranchised doesn't mean that it does not happen. Ask your black about this issue and report back on what they say.
Why can’t all people just vote on Election Day Tuesday? If people have jobs, employers give them time off to vote on that day. What excuses am I missing since this was what we used to do?

Why can’t all people just vote on Election Day Tuesday? If people have jobs, employers give them time off to vote on that day. What excuses am I missing since this was what we used to do?
Employers often don't give time off for voting, and many folks can't afford to give up the hours. Make Election Day a national holiday and maybe this could work.

Some people can. Some don’t. If you can vote on Tuesday, good for you. I prefer early voting. I prefer not to wait in long lines on Tuesday. Some people prefer to vote after church. Now they trying to take that away. What is wrong with going after church?

How is that racism? I’m trying to expose the racism in these voter suppression laws.
You're getting duped my friend. There is nothing racist about what they are trying to do to increase election security. Dems want you to believe that it suppresses minority votes (with absolutely zero proof at all) so that they can make it easier to skirt the line between what's legal and what isn't.

Reactions: GregJM24
Some people can. Some don’t. If you can vote on Tuesday, good for you. I prefer early voting. I prefer not to wait in long lines on Tuesday. Some people prefer to vote after church. Now they trying to take that away. What is wrong with going after church?
I thought smart progressives don't believe in God, so why is Sunday an issue! Let's have voting for a month, we have the $$$. I still believe it is racist to assume blacks are not smart enough to figure how to vote, where to vote and when to vote. That is a branding of a class. It is NOT convenient for me where I live in rural America so I either go absentee or go early. I have MANY days to pick.

Bullshit! I'm calling MAJOR bullshit! First of all, voter ID has been a thing for much longer than 2009. In 2002 is when it shifted to some sort of government ID with the "Help America Vote Act of 2002" for federal elections. States have required some kind of ID as far back as 1950, but it shifted to having to have a form of government ID in 2006.

I've seen multiple people go and interview black people about this and they were all offended that people believe that they cannot get an ID to vote and considered that notion racist. In actuality it's bigotry of low expectations. I would have to call bullshit if someone claims that they are incapable of getting a drivers license to vote unless they aren't a citizen of the US.

What does church have to do with it? Why do they wait until a Sunday to go vote? It it's important to them, I'm sure it's possible for them to get there in the days in which it is open.

Reactions: GregJM24 and SKYDOG
You're getting duped my friend. There is nothing racist about what they are trying to do to increase election security. Dems want you to believe that it suppresses minority votes (with absolutely zero proof at all) so that they can make it easier to skirt the line between what's legal and what isn't.
How is removing “Souls to the Polls” on Sundays increasing election security?

Stop this Dems want you to believe this or that. I’m a black person that does not need Dems to tell me anything. We don’t need repubs telling us that there is no racism. I can’t remember we the last time a conservative/repub acknowledged racism in any form. We know racism when we see it. If blacks enjoy voting on Sundays and now they are taking it away, it is voter suppression plain and simple. It is not that hard. I told you, this all started in 2009 when blacks voted in great numbers.

What does reducing ballot boxes or voting schedules have to do with election security?

Why were Republicans always the champion of absentee ballots but now want to restrict them?

Reactions: Bill4411
How is removing “Souls to the Polls” on Sundays increasing election security?

Stop this Dems want you to believe this or that. I’m a black person that does not need Dems to tell me anything. We don’t need repubs telling us that there is no racism. I can’t remember we the last time a conservative/repub acknowledged racism in any form. We know racism when we see it. If blacks enjoy voting on Sundays and now they are taking it away, it is voter suppression plain and simple. It is not that hard. I told you, this all started in 2009 when blacks voted in great numbers.
Bullshit. No person on the right has ever claimed that there is NO racism. The problem is that there is a narrative by the left and the media to push racism into area's that it doesn't exist by altering the definition of racism. Why? Because they need to keep pushing the narrative that America/the right is racist to keep blacks from realizing that they really have more in common with conservatives than they do liberals. Facts are, that racism as a whole is not a major issue. I've shown you the stats from 1992. Are you trying to tell me that America has become more racist since 1992? I highly doubt it, especially since we just elected a black president not all that long ago.

You may not think you're being told by the left that racism is prevelent, but when it's so abundant in the media (especially every 4 years around election time) it's ingrained into your head.

What does reducing ballot boxes or voting schedules have to do with election security?

Why were Republicans always the champion of absentee ballots but now want to restrict them?
I'm sure there are reasons for reducing ballot boxes, but I'm not up on that so I won't speculate.

As far as absentee ballots, Republicans have been the champion of absentee ballots that you have to request. Not mail in ballots that are mailed out to everywhere. Most of the rest of the western world do not allow mail in ballots of that variety because of the known issue of being susceptible to fraud.

What does church have to do with it? Why do they wait until a Sunday to go vote? It it's important to them, I'm sure it's possible for them to get there in the days in which it is open.
This is a ridiculous comment. Blacks voting on Sundays goes back decades. It’s tradition. It was a great tool churches did to get people to vote. Not sure why that seems to be a problem for you. If you don’t like continue to vote on Tuesdays. This is one of the reasons the repubs can’t attract more blacks to the party.

This is a ridiculous comment. Blacks voting on Sundays goes back decades. It’s tradition. It was a great tool churches did to get people to vote. Not sure why that seems to be a problem for you. If you don’t like continue to vote on Tuesdays. This is one of the reasons the repubs can’t attract more blacks to the party.
I didn't say I have a problem with it. That's fine if people enjoy doing that, but taking that one day away is not voter suppression. To call it voter suppression you'd have to prove that it was their only option. I think you'd have an uphill battle making that case.

You're last sentence is ridiculous. Ever think that the people that decided to take away voting on Sundays have no idea that it's such a big deal to blacks? I would never have known that. You might want to find out the reasoning behind their decisions before jumping to racism as the answer.

If people refuse to vote on the designated election day then it’s not all that important for them to vote in the first place. For years that day was the only day to vote with a few minor exceptions with military voting being one. Nothing wrong voting after church if church is on Election Day. Change the church day and not inconvenience the rest of the voting population.

I'm sure there are reasons for reducing ballot boxes, but I'm not up on that so I won't speculate.

As far as absentee ballots, Republicans have been the champion of absentee ballots that you have to request. Not mail in ballots that are mailed out to everywhere. Most of the rest of the western world do not allow mail in ballots of that variety because of the known issue of being susceptible to fraud.
They aren't mailed out to everywhere. I think there was only 9 states that did it. And I assume you know those states with universal mail in voting only sends ballots to registered voters right? Not "everywhere".

I didn't say I have a problem with it. That's fine if people enjoy doing that, but taking that one day away is not voter suppression. To call it voter suppression you'd have to prove that it was their only option. I think you'd have an uphill battle making that case.

You're last sentence is ridiculous. Ever think that the people that decided to take away voting on Sundays have no idea that it's such a big deal to blacks? I would never have known that. You might want to find out the reasoning behind their decisions before jumping to racism as the answer.
Election officials in each party know what and how each demographic votes. If they don’t, they are not doing their job. Therefore, the repubs know that blacks like to vote on Sundays, believe me. They know blacks vote absentee etc. It is not just taking away Sunday voting. Since Obama was elected and certainly after this cycle they are restricting early voting. They removed voting boxes from areas. People in Texas had to drive many many miles just to drop in their ballots. This is obvious voter suppression because it is only the GOP majority state legislators that are doing it. If you don’t see that then I don’t know what else to tell you.

If people refuse to vote on the designated election day then it’s not all that important for them to vote in the first place. For years that day was the only day to vote with a few minor exceptions with military voting being one. Nothing wrong voting after church if church is on Election Day. Change the church day and not inconvenience the rest of the voting population.
That’s ridiculous.

It used to work, but having it a national holiday is a good idea.
More likely it didn't work, and always prevented people who wanted to vote from doing so because they couldn't afford to take time off work. It's only been brought to everyone's attention more recently.

You can make an argument that voter ID is a legitimate election security measure. If ID is going to be required, it needs to be free and convenient to get. If it requires someone to take a day off work to obtain a valid ID, then it's the same problem as having to vote all in one day. If proof of residency is required to obtain a valid ID, then all homeless people are denied the right to vote.

You cannot, however, make an argument that shrinking registration windows, reducing early voting days, and restricting the hours that polls are open are election security measures. Giving people more opportunities to vote in a way that fits their schedule does not lead to fraud.

Reactions: indy35 and PUBV
They aren't mailed out to everywhere. I think there was only 9 states that did it. And I assume you know those states with universal mail in voting only sends ballots to registered voters right? Not "everywhere".
Then why were there so many people that came forward saying that they received ballots for people that didn't even live in their home?

Election officials in each party know what and how each demographic votes. If they don’t, they are not doing their job. Therefore, the repubs know that blacks like to vote on Sundays, believe me. They know blacks vote absentee etc. It is not just taking away Sunday voting. Since Obama was elected and certainly after this cycle they are restricting early voting. They removed voting boxes from areas. People in Texas had to drive many many miles just to drop in their ballots. This is obvious voter suppression because it is only the GOP majority state legislators that are doing it. If you don’t see that then I don’t know what else to tell you.
You're speculating, seeing only what you want to see. Again, you need to find out why they did it vs just going to the default (lie) that Repubs are racist. Are some? Sure, but so are some on the left. This idiotic narrative that the Right is racist is ridiculous.

More likely it didn't work, and always prevented people who wanted to vote from doing so because they couldn't afford to take time off work. It's only been brought to everyone's attention more recently.

You can make an argument that voter ID is a legitimate election security measure. If ID is going to be required, it needs to be free and convenient to get. If it requires someone to take a day off work to obtain a valid ID, then it's the same problem as having to vote all in one day. If proof of residency is required to obtain a valid ID, then all homeless people are denied the right to vote.

You cannot, however, make an argument that shrinking registration windows, reducing early voting days, and restricting the hours that polls are open are election security measures. Giving people more opportunities to vote in a way that fits their schedule does not lead to fraud.
I will take exception to your last sentence. The integrity of voting has been compromised due to early voting and not trusting the process. The elections need to be decided in a short period of time without delay. People don’t trust it anymore and I’m in that camp.

I believe there’s early voting in every state with plenty of time and access to vote.

I will take exception to your last sentence. The integrity of voting has been compromised due to early voting and not trusting the process. The elections need to be decided in a short period of time without delay. People don’t trust it anymore and I’m in that camp.

I’m guessing you had zero issues with early voting four years ago, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT