ADVERTISEMENT

What is different about this team

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
This is the third year in a row that Purdue will be number #1, so some fans will yawn and say, “here we go again”. That said, I think that this team is different than the two that proceeded it in that it is far more balanced. Two years ago, Purdue had the number #1 offense by a large margin (according to the computers) for most of the season, but the defense was not good at all. Last year, the offense was still great and the defense was improved, but still not nearly at the level of the offense. In both cases, when the offense struggled against teams that fouled with abandon, the defense was not good enough to relieve the pressure on the offense.

I think that this team is different. Despite the challenges in stopping Marquette, this is a much tougher defensive team, which in turns takes the pressure off of the offense to be perfect. It just seems more substantial to me. The last two teams kind of faded when the going got tough in the later part of the season. I think that this team is much better constructed to sustain its effectiveness through the season.

Myles and Cam could be the difference come March. So far this season Jones, Jones and more Jones. The extra ball handler, defensive presence and the ability to get a basket has made this team different. I will admit I wasn't that thrilled when we picked him up. I was wrong not to be very happy.

Based on what we have seen so far, I don't think the new additions - aside from Jones - will add much come Feb/March - that's just not how frosh develop in general, and we're going to tighten the rotation as the season wears on. Jones does appear to be a moderate upgrade over Jenkins.

Fletch and Braden appear to be more comfortable than they did at the end of last year. But it's November, and we have seen this movie before. I do worry - a lot - that the hot/cold nature of Fletch's play already - before the grind of the season and the regression that we will see from playing inferior B10 competition - doesn't bode well for March.

I will contend - again - that not upgrading at Guard will end up costing us in March. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. Feel free to bookmark this post and taunt me if this team proves me wrong.

Reactions: OneWayStreet
Based on what we have seen so far, I don't think the new additions - aside from Jones - will add much come Feb/March - that's just not how frosh develop in general, and we're going to tighten the rotation as the season wears on. Jones does appear to be a moderate upgrade over Jenkins.

Fletch and Braden appear to be more comfortable than they did at the end of last year. But it's November, and we have seen this movie before. I do worry - a lot - that the hot/cold nature of Fletch's play already - before the grind of the season and the regression that we will see from playing inferior B10 competition - doesn't bode well for March.

I will contend - again - that not upgrading at Guard will end up costing us in March. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. Feel free to bookmark this post and taunt me if this team proves me wrong.
I think we're all concerned about March. You can't have what happened last year and not be wary. That said, Jones is much more than a "moderate" upgrade from Jenkins. He's starting and playing serious minutes. His defense is far better than Jenkins and he's a better ball handler. He's also more athletic than Jenkins. Was he the best guard in the portal? No, he was not. But we have no way of knowing if those other guards (I'm looking at you LJ Cryer) were even interested in PU. What we do know is we got an addition that answers some of our concerns from last year. I've been very happy with him so far.

We won’t know until March what happens in March, but Jones is a big addition and Heide or Colvin will be providing important minutes by then, I’d bet. Also, Smith and Loyer are sophomores now and I think that will make a big difference. I see a much tougher team this year.

We won’t know until March what happens in March, but Jones is a big addition and Heide or Colvin will be providing important minutes by then, I’d bet. Also, Smith and Loyer are sophomores now and I think that will make a big difference. I see a much tougher team this year.
Smith and loyer 1 year older, heide and Colvin give athletism that can punish teams for pressing, jones is very good. This adds up to better ball handling, shooting, added dimension of wings that can come down hill on press breakers and finish at the rim. Colvin made a few defensive mistakes against Marquette that the old matt would have sat him for....we still have room to get better their and I think we will end up being a better defensive team.

This is the third year in a row that Purdue will be number #1, so some fans will yawn and say, “here we go again”. That said, I think that this team is different than the two that proceeded it in that it is far more balanced. Two years ago, Purdue had the number #1 offense by a large margin (according to the computers) for most of the season, but the defense was not good at all. Last year, the offense was still great and the defense was improved, but still not nearly at the level of the offense. In both cases, when the offense struggled against teams that fouled with abandon, the defense was not good enough to relieve the pressure on the offense.

I think that this team is different. Despite the challenges in stopping Marquette, this is a much tougher defensive team, which in turns takes the pressure off of the offense to be perfect. It just seems more substantial to me. The last two teams kind of faded when the going got tough in the later part of the season. I think that this team is much better constructed to sustain its effectiveness through the season.
It’s different because they traded Newman for Jones. Jones brought a lot of what the team was missing. Newman was redundant and just a guy.

If they had done the same with Gillis and Morton they’d be killing people. Even the last two days

I said several times why bring in just Jones? True he is what we needed. So glad he is here. But perhaps another 3 pt guy was also needed? I thought so last Spring and even recently.

However, what I did NOT consider is H or C being that 3 point guy or guys, come March. Hope now that is the case, but both have a lot of D and situation awareness to learn before then. Perhaps Painter thought H or C will be the upgrade to team 3 pt shooting. By his actions of only bringing in Jones....he must. Hope he is correct!

Reactions: SKYDOG
I said several times why bring in just Jones? True he is what we needed. So glad he is here. But perhaps another 3 pt guy was also needed? I thought so last Spring and even recently.

However, what I did NOT consider is H or C being that 3 point guy or guys, come March. Hope now that is the case, but both have a lot of D and situation awareness to learn before then. Perhaps Painter thought H or C will be the upgrade to team 3 pt shooting. By his actions of only bringing in Jones....he must. Hope he is correct!
Painter could have done exactly what he did with Newman with Gillis and Morton and got players who really really help, just like he did with Jones. He chose loyalty.

And that’s fine 5 years ago. Now I hear the minimum these guys got was 150k. If that’s the case and you aren’t helping edey and smith win a championship, and you aren’t young… Newman.

Morton and Gillis are still here to be weirdly used bench players? Makes no sense in your last year with cheat code edey.

And no, the next time one of them comes out of meh territory to have one great game or a great couple of weeks.. I don’t care.

Purdue needed a players like Donnell Harvey to pair with edey. A 6’8” athleifx force who brought the physicality of a cliff omoryuri at the 4 but can hit a wide open shot. and an athletic 3 who could drain open 3s.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

The challenges with stopping Marquette are due, in large part, to the fact that Marquette is an extremely good offensive team.

I like what Jones brings a lot. Unfortunately the only real ball handler they have is Smith. If he gets hurt one can only only cry. Surprised this wasn’t a higher priority on the roster.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I like what Jones brings a lot. Unfortunately the only real ball handler they have is Smith. If he gets hurt one can only only cry. Surprised this wasn’t a higher priority on the roster.
This team isn’t winning a title if smith gets hurt but that’s probably true of all of the favorites. If knecht gets hurt Tennessee will be meh

Still in wait and see mode. That said, the addition of Jones seems to be a significant difference.

I think we're all concerned about March. You can't have what happened last year and not be wary. That said, Jones is much more than a "moderate" upgrade from Jenkins. He's starting and playing serious minutes. His defense is far better than Jenkins and he's a better ball handler. He's also more athletic than Jenkins. Was he the best guard in the portal? No, he was not. But we have no way of knowing if those other guards (I'm looking at you LJ Cryer) were even interested in PU. What we do know is we got an addition that answers some of our concerns from last year. I've been very happy with him so far.
I'll take both sides...I concur that Jones is significantly better than Jenkins, faster, better shooter, way better defender, even a better ball handler. He helps us deal with some problems. I will also say, this team still have to prove it in the post season, so while all of this is awesome, it's all for naught if they stumble again in the tourney, and for this team, stumble will be anything less than the Final Four.

Still in wait and see mode. That said, the addition of Jones seems to be a significant difference.
Jones is outstanding. When we draw the little school nobody ever heard of that could.. he’s going to eat them alive.

The guard across from him is going to realize that his “I came from nowhere with nothing” persona doesn’t matter and we will finally get to the teams where our size can be the difference without us losing in space

I say so far the difference is in attitude, aggression, confidence, swagger & confidence being displayed more consistently on the court. I think last year there was some arrogance that creeped in without taking mental and physical actions to back it up. Jones also fits in with the change. If you listen to the guys talk it has shown itself in some of their responses, including Loyers and Edey’s!

I'll take both sides...I concur that Jones is significantly better than Jenkins, faster, better shooter, way better defender, even a better ball handler. He helps us deal with some problems. I will also say, this team still have to prove it in the post season, so while all of this is awesome, it's all for naught if they stumble again in the tourney, and for this team, stumble will be anything less than the Final Four.
I agree that it will be very disappointing if we don't make a FF. However, I'm one of the guys that really enjoy the regular season also. I look forward to every game and live and die with every W and L during the season. So for me, it's not all about March. Having a great team during the season is important to me also. Conference championships are important to me. I love the Dance, but it isn't everything to me. I love the 4 months leading up to it.

They have not lived on the 3ball, but embraced a more physical game. 20threes a game will probably be the most for most of the schedule. I think the previous years the 3 ball shot would run between 25 and 30 too many times . Purdue seems to be getting to the line more while putting players on the other team in more foul trouble . Purdue needs the 3 ball, but does not seem to look for it as much this year.

The D & O are both more physical this year as this team will battle you

It seems strange to me. Some folks think the transfer portal is like shopping at the grocery. I’ll take a dozen eggs and an all American forward. Oh, and throw in a couple high functioning point guards while you are at it. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. When people say we should trade this guy for a player like… they just don’t get it. Really good players are not that available.

Painter could have done exactly what he did with Newman with Gillis and Morton and got players who really really help, just like he did with Jones. He chose loyalty.

And that’s fine 5 years ago. Now I hear the minimum these guys got was 150k. If that’s the case and you aren’t helping edey and smith win a championship, and you aren’t young… Newman.

Morton and Gillis are still here to be weirdly used bench players? Makes no sense in your last year with cheat code edey.

And no, the next time one of them comes out of meh territory to have one great game or a great couple of weeks.. I don’t care.

Purdue needed a players like Donnell Harvey to pair with edey. A 6’8” athleifx force who brought the physicality of a cliff omoryuri at the 4 but can hit a wide open shot. and an athletic 3 who could drain open 3s.
Done. Gone. Who cares now what we "Could have done".
And if we'd signed Lebron James we'd win it for sure......................

It seems strange to me. Some folks think the transfer portal is like shopping at the grocery. I’ll take a dozen eggs and an all American forward. Oh, and throw in a couple high functioning point guards while you are at it. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. When people say we should trade this guy for a player like… they just don’t get it. Really good players are not that available.
Gonzaga and Tennessee would seem to disagree. But I still wouldn't do it.

Reactions: mathboy
Let’s sit back and enjoy the season and quit trying to outguess the professionals!

Folks…this isn’t even January yet, so any speculation about March is silly in my opinion?

As Painter pointed out in his Victory Interview..,there just aren’t too many players like Edey who come along once in Blue Moon!

Enjoy him and appreciate the learning curve he and the team is enjoying!

The other issue you are seeing is that all of Purdue’s players are students and will do well away from basketball. For the most part that is the reason they are at Purdue

One of the posters mentioned loyalty…remember loyaty goes both ways…

Let’s sit back and enjoy the season and quit trying to outguess the professionals!

Folks…this isn’t even January yet, so any speculation about March is silly in my opinion?

As Painter pointed out in his Victory Interview..,there just aren’t too many players like Edey who come along once in Blue Moon!

Enjoy him and appreciate the learning curve he and the team is enjoying!

The other issue you are seeing is that all of Purdue’s players are students and will do well away from basketball. For the most part that is the reason they are at Purdue

One of the posters mentioned loyalty…remember loyaty goes both ways…
I think painter is outstanding. So weird that some of his biggest fans get so hurt and act as though you’re questioning his credentials up and down the line if you merely state that none of the guys we have are a good frontcourt pairing with edey.

Edey is a vacuum. You want a four who I’d about 6’8” 225 with size and athleticism to exploit the space he creates.

Could painter win this way anyway? Maybe. The team is that good. Could have been a home run though

I will contend - again - that not upgrading at Guard will end up costing us in March. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. Feel free to bookmark this post and taunt me if this team proves me wrong

Not upgrading at guard? I disagree with you for sure on this. Can you look at it from the stand point if you are not thinking we upgraded, can you imagine how Gonzaga, Tennessee and Marquette feel as they were the teams that lost to us? Also, Tennessee was the most physical game we played to date that I can ever remember and then you add the turn around time to get ready for a very good Marquette team. Teams are fatigued by then and you are gonna see sloppy play like we did when we played Tennessee and Marquette. BOTH SIDES right? Not just Purdue.

Gonzaga and Tennessee would seem to disagree. But I still wouldn't do it.
Neither of those teams will sniff a final four. Just my prediction. I like how Shaka Smart is building his team. Like Izzy and Painter, he focuses on recruiting and developing “his” players. Very limited use of the portal.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre

The only thing I'm worried about March is that B1G will not be adequate preparation this year as we cut through them like lava through butter

Neither of those teams will sniff a final four. Just my prediction. I like how Shaka Smart is building his team. Like Izzy and Painter, he focuses on recruiting and developing “his” players. Very limited use of the portal.
mmmm, those are two teams with very short time together because of all the new additions. But a lot of skilled and long players.
Both should be much better come March. Same with Xavier
I'd be just fine not giving them a rematch in the final four. Any of them.

I say so far the difference is in attitude, aggression, confidence, swagger & confidence being displayed more consistently on the court. I think last year there was some arrogance that creeped in without taking mental and physical actions to back it up. Jones also fits in with the change. If you listen to the guys talk it has shown itself in some of their responses, including Loyers and Edey’s!
☝🏼 my earlier post
To see what’s different about this team, one only need watch the interview with Zach after the Marquette game.
Agree 💯

Painter is the master of the missed opportunity. First it was Carsen Edwards. He was Painter’s third choice. The other two went elsewhere. Then along came Edey. Painter’s #1 was Dickinson but he turned us down for Michigan. And now we have Jones. Jones was Painter’s 3rd -5th choice of portal players. Painter was trying to recruit Jones’ teammate but ended up with Jones. Painter is 3 for 3.

Which one would you like?

Player 1 (per 40 mins):
13.9 points
2.9 turnovers
2.4 steals
3.7 assists
3.7 boards
0.571 FT%
0.310 3P%
0.520 2P%
0.407 FG%

Player 1 (per 100 possessions):
Offensive efficiency rating: 97.2
Defensive efficiency rating: 90.8

Player 2 (per 40 mins):
10.3 points
2.1 turnovers
0.5 steals
2.0 assists
3.5 boards
0.667 FT%
0.350 3P%
0.410 2P%
0.370 FG%

Player 2 (per 100 possessions):
Offensive efficiency rating: 99.1
Defensive efficiency rating: 104.4

The only thing I'm worried about March is that B1G will not be adequate preparation this year as we cut through them like lava through butter
The B10 is so absurdly weak this year, but I worry that we will forget this during the entirety of January and February and it will come back to bite us come March.

Not upgrading at guard? I disagree with you for sure on this. Can you look at it from the stand point if you are not thinking we upgraded, can you imagine how Gonzaga, Tennessee and Marquette feel as they were the teams that lost to us? Also, Tennessee was the most physical game we played to date that I can ever remember and then you add the turn around time to get ready for a very good Marquette team. Teams are fatigued by then and you are gonna see sloppy play like we did when we played Tennessee and Marquette. BOTH SIDES right? Not just Purdue.
See my player comp above.

The data also don't show our guards are substantially better year over year.

As a reminder we beat the Zags by 18 - essentially on their home floor - last year. We beat them by 10 this year.

Last year:
Fletch/Smith combined for 28 points/3 turnovers/1 steal/12 assists/8 boards/87.5% from the line/50% from deep (5/10)

This year:
Fletch/Smith combined for 15 points/5 turnovers/5 steals/7 assists/5 boards/100% from the line/0% from deep (0/4)

I would imagine the Zags feel pretty good considering they went to the E8 last year - despite getting wiped all over the floor by a less experienced Purdue team - and tightened things up this year against essentially the same Purdue team (just one year older).

I get your point, but I would question the data basis. Our schedule difficulty may differ significantly between last season and this one, especially the games this early in the season. Furthermore, last year at this time we were still sneaking up on people. Nobody thought we were as good as we turned out to be. This year we have a #1-2 target on our back right from the start of the season. I have to add that our guards this year pass the eye test as much better than last years team.

I get your point, but I would question the data basis. Our schedule difficulty may differ significantly between last season and this one, especially the games this early in the season. Furthermore, last year at this time we were still sneaking up on people. Nobody thought we were as good as we turned out to be. This year we have a #1-2 target on our back right from the start of the season. I have to add that our guards this year pass the eye test as much better than last years team.
Do you think their stats are going to improve as the year proceeds?

Do you think their stats are going to improve as the year proceeds?
I don’t know To be honest. I think this year we will get everyone’s best games right from the start of the season. Last year it took a while before teams were going “Oh crap, we got Purdue next”. We may find scoring is more distributed (that would be great), as coaches takeaway our best plays and we have to adapt. If that happens, individual stats go down but the team does better. On the other hand, maybe Eden, Smith And Loyer play with purpose and passion after being embarrassed last year, then their stats might be better. I don’t care which, as long as we win.

Which one would you like?

Player 1 (per 40 mins):
13.9 points
2.9 turnovers
2.4 steals
3.7 assists
3.7 boards
0.571 FT%
0.310 3P%
0.520 2P%
0.407 FG%

Player 1 (per 100 possessions):
Offensive efficiency rating: 97.2
Defensive efficiency rating: 90.8

Player 2 (per 40 mins):
10.3 points
2.1 turnovers
0.5 steals
2.0 assists
3.5 boards
0.667 FT%
0.350 3P%
0.410 2P%
0.370 FG%

Player 2 (per 100 possessions):
Offensive efficiency rating: 99.1
Defensive efficiency rating: 104.4
One player here a whole season, one had played here a handful of games against a VERY tough SOS to start off so I find trying to make a direct statistical comparison as you are trying to do in this thread silly because the conditions aren't the same.

Even comparing playing the same team is silly because we didn't play Marquette last year in day three of three games with the first two being highly ranked teams and slugfests. Each team is different from last year even if it's just experience gained.

So based on what I've seen so far I'd rather have Jones to Jenkins. He's quicker, more athletic, and he brings juice to the lineup even when he's not scoring. His defense is also top notch which Jenkins was not.

One player here a whole season, one had played here a handful of games against a VERY tough SOS to start off so I find trying to make a direct statistical comparison as you are trying to do in this thread silly because the conditions aren't the same.

Even comparing playing the same team is silly because we didn't play Marquette last year in day three of three games with the first two being highly ranked teams and slugfests. Each team is different from last year even if it's just experience gained.

So based on what I've seen so far I'd rather have Jones to Jenkins. He's quicker, more athletic, and he brings juice to the lineup even when he's not scoring. His defense is also top notch which Jenkins was not.
I don't think they're as different as we are making them out to be, and I predict the stats will bear that out as the year proceeds. Feel free to bookmark this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT