ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t know what ratio the

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Mental is to the physical. It typically is mentioned as 4:1. What we do know is the resolve this team has is different. It is the mental to get shots up, to improve your game, to stay focused, to show poise, to do what you can do successfully and at the end of the game to know you did your best .

This team has brought me a lot of good basketball and really impressed with all the sacrifices the team, players &coaches and parents have made to become as good as they are.

Its at minimum 80% mental. And by that the unwavering belief that you can and will win during big runs by your opponent like today in the 1st half. It is the unwavering belief that your next 3 is going in after you have missed your last 4. It is the zero thought immediate shot in a clutch moment. It is the always on your assignment and doing the small instant rotation or box out or mini movement needed to make the smallest amount of difference to where your team gets 1 more rebound or loose ball than the opponent that could decide a close game and doing so even when you are dead tired.

This team has it. Past teams have not. We never truly know if a team has it until it is shown in the biggest moments. We know for certain this team has it.

The weight feels lifted not only from this team and program, but off painter as well. I am extremely proud of them all, and I am so happy for all of us as fans for the decades of heart ache and pain and always coming back for more

Its at minimum 80% mental. And by that the unwavering belief that you can and will win during big runs by your opponent like today in the 1st half. It is the unwavering belief that your next 3 is going in after you have missed your last 4. It is the zero thought immediate shot in a clutch moment. It is the always on your assignment and doing the small instant rotation or box out or mini movement needed to make the smallest amount of difference to where your team gets 1 more rebound or loose ball than the opponent that could decide a close game and doing so even when you are dead tired.

This team has it. Past teams have not. We never truly know if a team has it until it is shown in the biggest moments. We know for certain this team has it.

The weight feels lifted not only from this team and program, but off painter as well. I am extremely proud of them all, and I am so happy for all of us as fans for the decades of heart ache and pain and always coming back for more
and so you have that comparison of ...are the perimeter players passing up shots they should shoot or do they have poise to know their confidence at the time as well as the hard closeout and not quite as much time. That balance can be poise or not feeling it at the time...and of course if the player is not feeling it, then it should go inside and doing such shows poise

Reactions: pboiler18
Mental is to the physical. It typically is mentioned as 4:1. What we do know is the resolve this team has is different. It is the mental to get shots up, to improve your game, to stay focused, to show poise, to do what you can do successfully and at the end of the game to know you did your best .

This team has brought me a lot of good basketball and really impressed with all the sacrifices the team, players &coaches and parents have made to become as good as they are.

Angela Duckworth at the University of Pennsylvania studies this. She worked with the Seattle Seahawks when Pete Carroll was there and studied what it takes to survive Beast Barracks at West Point.

She refers to it as Grit, a passion and perseverance for something. You can take a Grit test of her's at

I think all Purdue players would score 5 on her Grit scale.

Reactions: tjreese
Angela Duckworth at the University of Pennsylvania studies this. She worked with the Seattle Seahawks when Pete Carroll was there and studied what it takes to survive Beast Barracks at West Point.

She refers to it as Grit, a passion and perseverance for something. You can take a Grit test of her's at

This team has grit, but they seem to have poise as well

I’m hoping that getting to the Final Four lets our perimeter players start hitting wide open 3s again. Getting to that elusive Final Four has to take some pressure off. I think it will. House money now let’s go get the Natty!
The question becomes...what is a wide open 3? Not all, but more than half the 3's turned down were probably good decisions. Different players need different space to be comfortable and any slight fumble of the catch or if the pass is not in the pocket all add to a player maybe not taking it. Fletch is probably the quickest AND has the ability to shot fake and then shoot it, Lance has a lower pocket (can shot fake though), Mason always jumps forward (not quite as good shot faking and being effective as Fletch and Lance...more rhythm ) and Myles doesn't need the room but may elevate too much for the clang when covered.

Then there are those times a player doesn't feel it and only due to a lack of confidence. All those players have nuances about the space, time and length they can counter as well as shot faking and then can get into the stroke again, but a player has to feel comfortable IMO

and so you have that comparison of ...are the perimeter players passing up shots they should shoot or do they have poise to know their confidence at the time as well as the hard closeout and not quite as much time. That balance can be poise or not feeling it at the time...and of course if the player is not feeling it, then it should go inside and doing such shows poise

Idk, thats how we get to playing offensively like in the big ten tourney against wisconsin, and for a big stretch of the 2nd half yesterday. Obviously know when to go inside, but our shooters should not pass up open 3s, even if having missed multiple in a row prior.

Pretty simplistic. I scored a 5.

Idk, thats how we get to playing offensively like in the big ten tourney against wisconsin, and for a big stretch of the 2nd half yesterday. Obviously know when to go inside, but our shooters should not pass up open 3s, even if having missed multiple in a row prior.
my point is that we don't know the mind of the person you want to shoot and it can be other things than confidence. I can take a person shooting well at a spot, cutting down fatigue and footwork and pass the ball to that player a bit low, high or wide and throw his shot off "if" his mechanics are not sound in taking the pass into the same area of the chest before lifting the ball. If that player has a different angle and such the alignment can be off and that is why the pass is about as crucial as the shot. Add the extra footwork issues if coming out from the lane and catching for a shot like Mason many times has.

That is why shots have a better chance coming from the lane due to penetrating and kicking out or Zach when doubled...the feet are already in position and so you have already eliminated some potential issues. Many years ago I used to teach (Dick Baumgartner) or inside foot to square for the shot. Naturally that has two different pivot feet already established and if defended tight you had twice as many moves to learn whether on the right or left side of the lane.

Then years later Ernie Hobbie showed me "the Jordan move" where you always established the left foot as your pivot foot (right handed shooters). Now, that was easy to do if coming around the arc and so you not only have 1/2 to footwork to develop in driving the ball, but all or almost all shooters stagger their feet a couple of inches where the shooting arm has that leg out a couple of inches closer to the basket than the other foot. @ChoiceBeef had a short video someplace of that guy I can remember...Kneicht or something close and you see him come from down under and has his left foot as his pivot foot before his drive. I think I saw other video and he never used his left foot

Reactions: krazychicagod
Pretty simplistic. I scored a 5.
It is all a function of interpretation of some key words IMO. Obsessed quickly comes to mine. Does "focus" turn to obsessed as a matter of interpretation only? All tests of this kind provide a direction, but may be off a bit in magnitude.

It is all a function of interpretation of some key words IMO. Obsessed quickly comes to mine. Does "focus" turn to obsessed as a matter of interpretation only? All tests of this kind provide a direction, but may be off a bit in magnitude.

Yea, not only is it the shortest test of its type I ever took, but interpretation of words can be misleading.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT