ADVERTISEMENT

Way early 24-25 opening night lineup…

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
I’m bored, wife and baby are asleep, I’m on feeding duty in an hour. Anyway, in no way am I wishing away this season, however, seasons end, new one begin. I got Furst-TKR-Colvin-Loyer-Braden as the starters. Catchings, Gicari, Heide, Berg probably round out the top 9. After that no clue how things shake out. With Purdue already over signed by 1 my guess is that no portal players will be added. It’s fun to think ahead, as a hoops junkie it’s what I do, trust me, this season is my dream one!

Last edited:
I have a hard time seeing Catchings coming off the bench, but I'm not sure who replaces as a starter. Loyer?
Is that a serious suggestion? Zero chance. I think he's the backup to TKR at the 4 but if he can play the 3 maybe he competes with Heide and Colvin?

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
I’m bored, wife and baby are asleep, I’m on feeding duty in an hour. Anyway, in no way am I wishing away this season, however, seasons end, new one begin. I got Furst-TKR-Colvin-Loyer-Braden as the starters. Catchings, Gicari, Heide, Berg probably round out the top 9. After that no clue how things shake out. With Purdue already over signed by 1 my guess is that no portal players will be added. It’s fun to think ahead, as a hoops junkie it’s what I do, trust me, this season is my dream one!
Love this.

Locks: Braden, Loyer, Trey
Likely: Furst (Berg would have to make a big jump, he's not close now and Trey is going to be the focus in the post and Caleb is a better compliment to Trey than WB)
Open: Colvin, Heide, other options at the 3

Talented and deep team. Braden will be a star, hopefully Fletch continues to improve and Trey could be a 17 and 9 guys in 30+ mpg. Furst remains a great glue guy and either Catchings or Heide provide a different look than Trey at the 4 with more shooting. Colvin is the wild card, if he makes a big jump and plays at an AA level this goes from a borderline top 10 and BT championship contender to a legitimate NC contender.

Is that a serious suggestion? Zero chance. I think he's the backup to TKR at the 4 but if he can play the 3 maybe he competes with Heide and Colvin?
Ah, I had a brain fart when writing that post. Halfway through the post I remembered that Catchings is a more natural 4, but I forgot to go back and edit the first part.

Reactions: mathboy
Ah, I had a brain fart when writing that post. Halfway through the post I remembered that Catchings is a more natural 4, but I forgot to go back and edit the first part.
I just meant I don’t see a world in which Loyer is pushed out of the starting lineup as a junior.

It will be interesting to see where Catchings plays. Agree that he’s a more natural four but Cam may be more physically ready to play there next season. Maybe he backs up / pushes Colvin for minutes at the three?

I have no idea who can play D as a frosh? That is the mystery.

But if the two frosh I have starting can D it up, we will have a heck of a bench and play 10. Thus this will be Purdue's fastest paced team....and I am looking forward to the quicker pace most of all.

Catchings 4
TKR 5
Loyer 3
Harris 2
Smith 1

I have no idea who can play D as a frosh? That is the mystery.

But if the two frosh I have starting can D it up, we will have a heck of a bench and play 10. Thus this will be Purdue's fastest paced team....and I am looking forward to the quicker pace most of all.

Catchings 4
TKR 5
Loyer 3
Harris 2
Smith 1
Interesting, I don’t think opening night though, maybe later in season.

Love this.

Locks: Braden, Loyer, Trey
Likely: Furst (Berg would have to make a big jump, he's not close now and Trey is going to be the focus in the post and Caleb is a better compliment to Trey than WB)
Open: Colvin, Heide, other options at the 3

Talented and deep team. Braden will be a star, hopefully Fletch continues to improve and Trey could be a 17 and 9 guys in 30+ mpg. Furst remains a great glue guy and either Catchings or Heide provide a different look than Trey at the 4 with more shooting. Colvin is the wild card, if he makes a big jump and plays at an AA level this goes from a borderline top 10 and BT championship contender to a legitimate NC contender.
Thanks for the love this comment…Boiler hoops is an important part in my life ( probably too important), anyway, it’s what sports junkie fans do though, always looking ahead lol.

I can’t believe I’m finally realizing that you may be right that Frosh (that aren’t top 5) aren’t going to come in right away and start in the B1G and have a HUGE impact. Maybe he will by end of year but from what we’ve seen, I think I agree.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Kanon Catchings will start! He is playing tonight at 8; 30 This class is different it's as if Painter made a wish list and filled it plus 1. Honestly you could make a case for every scholarship player to get minutes. If I had to guess I would go with Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Catchings and TKR. With Benter as the 1st man off the bench.

Kanon Catchings will start! He is playing tonight at 8; 30 This class is different it's as if Painter made a wish list and filled it plus 1. Honestly you could make a case for every scholarship player to get minutes. If I had to guess I would go with Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Catchings and TKR. With Benter as the 1st man off the bench.
I think eventually, first game I’m guessing Paint is loyal to the Sr Furst.

Agree with most of that. I will be surprised if Catching doesn't start day 1. Did not know if he would be a 2,3 or 4?

Didn't know if Colvin will ever figure out D or not?

Harris who reportedly seems to like D might be the guy?? Didn't consider Benter as the last report you gave had him being Mr. TO. Maybe that was a blip?

As far as Furst he is a nice role player, and great rebounder, but I think difference makers are coming to supplant him.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if some of our guys transfer? After all, once we win a championship, 😎 there might be a high NIL transfer demand from the poaching class out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Dah Day
Agree with most of that. I will be surprised if Catching doesn't start day 1. Did not know if he would be a 2,3 or 4?

Harris who reportedly seems to like D might be the guy?? Didn't consider Benter as the last report you gave had him being Mr. TO. Maybe that was a blip?

As far as Furst he is a nice role player, and great rebounder, but I think difference makers are coming to supplant him.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if some of our guys transfer? After all, once we win a championship, 😎 there might be a high NIL transfer demand from the poaching class out there.
Jack played well in two blowouts this week he does tend to try to pass it thru traffic, but the kid can shoot lights out from deeper than deep. Harris played ok for him. I watched him play against Rutgers 5-star Ace Bailey who scored 30 while Harris had 19 with some deep 3's the other game he scored 24. Harris has 5 D1 teammates and are 10-0 ranked #3 in the U.S best team I have seen. Just watched Kanon put on another show kid is amazing. He is a 4 playing there this year it really fits him also the extra weight. Watched Burgess earlier today he won big played good defense and had 5 assists may be 15 points. Jacobsen had one good and one not so good games if not for Kanon I think he could possibly play right away at the 4. Rank this week Catchings, Benter, Jacobsen, Harris and Burgess. Still haven't seen a full Cox game in 3 weeks. I am still big on Harris just not at the 1 right away.

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Jack played well in two blowouts this week he does tend to try to pass it thru traffic, but the kid can shoot lights out from deeper than deep. Harris played ok for him. I watched him play against Rutgers 5-star Ace Bailey who scored 30 while Harris had 19 with some deep 3's the other game he scored 24. Harris has 5 D1 teammates and are 10-0 ranked #3 in the U.S best team I have seen. Just watched Kanon put on another show kid is amazing. He is a 4 playing there this year it really fits him also the extra weight. Watched Burgess earlier today he won big played good defense and had 5 assists may be 15 points. Jacobsen had one good and one not so good games if not for Kanon I think he could possibly play right away at the 4. Rank this week Catchings, Benter, Jacobsen, Harris and Burgess. Still haven't seen a full Cox game in 3 weeks. I am still big on Harris just not at the 1 right away.
Ok, just asking and this will probably come off as sounding wrong. But…is there a Purdue recruit that you have seen that didn’t seem good? Because you get me hyped for all of them haha

So I was wondering why Harris rated as 4? If he’s on a team with all 5 starters being 5* and playing point on a 10-0 team and still scoring in the 20 point range, then how is he the 4th best recruit coming in? Benter is not playing the same competition, so does it translate to being more ready to play right away at the next level? Jacobsen, I haven’t seen him play, I think he’s got high potential but is he built to come in and compete down low or will he need time to bulk up? Just looking for you to expand on this since I’ve not watched them play. Any buyers remorse on Burgess? Would waiting a year for Reibe have been better in your opinion?

1: Smith, Harris, 2: Loyer, Colvin/Harris, 3: Catchings, Colvin/Heide, 4: TKR, Heide/Jacobsen, 5: Furst, Berg/TKR… that’s 10 players and still leaving out Burgess, Benter and Cox. Man looks like a lot of talent and potentially really good players

It’s hard for those guys to make a big impact right away when you have experienced teams that play well together and rely heavily on executing team concepts.

Obviously there are exceptions and maybe Catchings will be that guy. Coming from a huge ge basketball family and playing against high level competition this year with purportedly solid coaching should make a big difference.

Just watched Kanon put on another show kid is amazing.

Are you referring to last night's game? I watched the first half of last night's game as it was streaming on YouTube. I was excited to see Catchings play but I can't agree with your assessment.

Overall it was brutally bad basketball and I think Painter and his team will have to spend a lot of time coaching out bad habits. Catchings was not particularly involved in their offense and spent most of his time camped out in the corner while the other members of his team jacked up incredibly high difficulty shots.

Based on the stats from the OTE page it doesn't look like he played much in the second half and it was one of his worst games of the year.

Are you referring to last night's game? I watched the first half of last night's game as it was streaming on YouTube. I was excited to see Catchings play but I can't agree with your assessment.

Overall it was brutally bad basketball and I think Painter and his team will have to spend a lot of time coaching out bad habits. Catchings was not particularly involved in their offense and spent most of his time camped out in the corner while the other members of his team jacked up incredibly high difficulty shots.

Based on the stats from the OTE page it doesn't look like he played much in the second half and it was one of his worst games of the year.

Yeah, this is why I asked my question. I was a bit confused when seeing his stats and reading he put on a show.

I think that the defense will come for Colvin. He has the ability, but I think that he’s just going through a big adjustment. I think he’s made progress from Maui and I think that we’ll continue to see improvement this year and a big difference next season.

Ok, just asking and this will probably come off as sounding wrong. But…is there a Purdue recruit that you have seen that didn’t seem good? Because you get me hyped for all of them haha
Of course, all of them have their bad moments. I just don't call out every bad play. Am I bias yes! yes I am. I have never met a bad Purdue recruit. If there is a recruit, I personally don't like I don't say it in public. There seems to be plenty of people who do that for me. And thank you. I am trying to get you hyped.

I think Berg is better than Furst right now. If Furst cant hit 3s better than 25% you might as well give Berg his minutes as he is better around the rim. Berg is pretty quick for a 7 footer.
Sorry dudes, but shooting 3's AINT the whole game. Maybe keep watching more hoops.

I have watched up till 9-9 score no the game I am referring to was played Tuesday. Your assessment of the team is spot on. And I have the same concerns. This league is a circus with way too many clowns IMO. If you want to see good team play watch Benter and Harris. I prefer watching them because it's what I am comfortable with. Thanks for saving me a couple hours. I still have a Harris, Burgess and two Jacobsen's game to watch.

I have watched up till 9-9 score no the game I am referring to was played Tuesday. Your assessment of the team is spot on. And I have the same concerns. This league is a circus with way too many clowns IMO. If you want to see good team play watch Benter and Harris. I prefer watching them because it's what I am comfortable with. Thanks for saving me a couple hours. I still have a Harris, Burgess and two Jacobsen's game to watch.
Catchings place of play…is it a school or does he do online High School and play hoops at a basketball academy? So confusing these days with these specialty schools, we have a Don Bosco by me, they get good talent, I think they do an online school program.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Catchings place of play…is it a school or does he do online High School and play hoops at a basketball academy? So confusing these days with these specialty schools, we have a Don Bosco by me, they get good talent, I think they do an online school program.

See article linked above on OTE.

TKR or Furst will transfer out

After our championship 😎 we likely will suffer transfers due to the NIL poacher class. Who that will be though is a mystery. But glad you have figured it out in advance (vbg).

Why would they?

If we have no players leave, that is great. And was flat out great we had no one leave last year. But that is the exception, not the rule.
33% of all male college basketball players transfer at some time in their career.

While I do not expect any single individual to transfer from Purdue, to think transfers eventually won't touch Purdue is a fairy tale.

And even starters or high minute players sometimes transfer as Dickinson, Cryer, Nembhard, Mark, Mulcahy, Toussaint, Ingram, Pack, Quinerly, or Love's departure as examples demonstrates.

So why would they?.....$, want change, new adventures, poaching or any host if reasons.

But hope we are good again next off season!

Last edited:
Reactions: oldboiler52
If we have no players leave, that is great. And was flat out great we had no one leave last year. But that is the exception, not the rule.
33% of all male college basketball players transfer at some time in their career.

While I do not expect any single individual to transfer from Purdue, to think transfers eventually won't touch Purdue is a fairy tale.

And even starters or high minute players sometimes transfer as Dickinson, Cryer, Nembhard, Mark, Mulcahy, Toussaint, Ingram, Pack, Quinerly, or Love's departure as examples demonstrates.

So why would they?.....$, want change, new adventures, poaching or any host if reasons.

But hope we are good again next off season!
You’re speaking in generalities, I think his question related specifically to Caleb and Trey. More specifically, you provide a valid list of reasons one might transfer, I think the real question here is what factors do you see that would lead one to expect that there's a material chance that Trey and / or Caleb actually transfer.

I agree that Purdue is not immune to transfers, it's only a couple of seasons ago that they lost a starter and quasi-starter in Eastern and Haarms, but it's by no means a coincidence that MP has far fewer transfers than most programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT